Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
Lord of the Rings Extended Editon Blu-ray review
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

News From Bree
spymaster@theonering.net

Jun 28 2011, 9:37am

Post #1 of 94 (4644 views)
Shortcut
Lord of the Rings Extended Editon Blu-ray review Can't Post

PROLOG

It was widely known when Peter Jackson was shooting the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy a decade ago that there would be more than one version of the films for home theaters. Fan club memberships were sold with a promise of founding members getting their names in credits of the extended editions. Those watching the films in theaters the last two weeks have seen that promise still fulfilled again on screen at the cineplex.

There was even discussion of eventual superior editions in high definition once the debate over HD DVD vs. Blu-ray was settled. The Extended Edition DVDs, with far superior extras, were a big hit on DVD and were released for marathon watching sessions in select cities on "Trilogy Tuesday"¯. (Check out these links for a window back into time. They provide historical context.)

With the release today of the Extended Editions, the best possible version of the films in the highest possible quality will be in the hands of consumers. While there are some who claim the already lengthy films are made too long by the additions in the EEs, there are few readers of this site who can't appreciate the character nuances and deeper explanations of Middle-earth they provide. For my money, the Extended Editions are the preferred editions and that was brought home again in theaters with rare theater screenings the last two weeks around the U.S.. They contain treasures worth mining.

But readers here know all that. Long-time readers may own several versions of the films already. Some have them on VHS tape, were moved to convert to DVD by the films, including the promise of the EEs, may have several editions of them on DVD and here a third format beckons the yet unconverted-to-Blu-ray. Those with Blu-rays already know the vast jump forward in formats but these remastered films absolutely deliver on a level the theatrical Blu-rays did not.

IMAGES AND SOUNDS

The process to deliver these films wasn't adding in extra scenes but involved a complete remastering from the original digital files. On my own HD TV and Blu-ray player with 1080p and seven speakers, the trilogy was astounding. I very carefully compared my DVD EEs, my theatrical Blu-rays and these new Blu-ray EEs, and the new version was a clear-cut winner but with a qualification that we will tackle in a moment. Presented in a 2.35:1 aspect ratio, this is simply lovely visual satisfaction.

I looked for and found better details and improved contrasts. While I am much closer to an "everyman"¯ when it comes to home theater than I am to a technical expert, I do have a strong background in still photography and know my way around images and words and home presentation. This feels like film, not the sometimes complained about cold exactness of digitally shot material. In short, the technical display here, from a non-technical guy, is unequivocally, the best version. But, and this is a big but, it isn't perfect.

Many TORn readers have been deeply concerned about reports regarding the color timing of the films. It can safely be termed a controversy at this point. So far as I can discover, no official statements have been released regarding it but with rumors floating around I checked with independent sources that are definitely in-the-know, and director Peter Jackson and director of photography Andrew Lesnie were directly involved and approved the changes in color to the films. But, after careful examination, I have concluded without relying on any other internet source or image, "Fellowship of the Ring,"¯ seems to have some issues not shared with the other two films in the trilogy on Blu-ray EEs.

For those not all that aware of visuals and are just in it for the story-telling, be aware that blacks should be black and whites should be white while each retains detail. The eye does a marvelous job of finding this in real life but replicating it on screen is a challenge as old as film. As previously stated, the already rich visual feel for these films has been improved but FOTR has some obvious greens added in this edition that are especially obvious over strong whites. For example, as the Fellowship climbs steep, snow covered peaks in bright sunshine, the scene actually looks like it has a green filter over it. Not only are the whites off here but the blacks in the snowy scene take on a greenish hue as well. Comparing it to a scene in "Return of the King,"¯ where a certain white wizard on a white horse rides up the streets of the white city make it absolutely clear that something is drastically different between the two. It is also obvious when compared to the previous Blu-ray release.

I have a strong, but completely unconfirmed suspicion that something went wrong in the scan or transfer process. I quickly admit however that I am no expert regarding the process and perhaps Jackson and Lesnie wanted just that look, but to me, and other sets of eyes I enlisted for second and third opinions, the green tint was dramatic. Admittedly, I was watching for it but there it is.

Having just given all that space to a color issue, let me emphasize with clarity that what I deem a problem isn't severe enough for me to retract a strong recommendation for the beauty of these films or this transfer. Being transparent about the issue in no way means it spoils the film. In a perfect world I would be willing to pay cost for replacement discs (assuming Jackson even agrees it is a problem) but for most it will not even be an issue and for all but a very few it will be a minor blip in a marvelous viewing experience.

And, in other portions of the same film, I found the colors more pleasing than in any previous version. Legolas' arrow fletchings were extra yellow, the details on Gimli's helm shone a bit more golden and skin tones were pleasing. It remains a visual wonder but not a perfect one. I didn't find similar issues with "The Two Towers" or "Return of the King."

All three films are presented on two discs each and while initially this will surprise some who think the new format should allow one disc to store all the data but this choice allows the most dramatic use of the Blu-ray format and the maximum data storage to provide the top-notch audio and visuals. WB must be praised for the decision not to compress the films along with commentaries and all its glory on one disc.

The sound, while not as easy to measure, seems a little more powerful in the lower end was uniformly outstanding for all three films. Sounds are crisp, bass is booming, ambiance is full and colors are distinct and the award winning sound design and mix from the theatrical films is wonderfully featured. It comes in 6.1 English DTS-HD and in Portugese with subtitles in several languages. The audio commentaries are the same, divided among aspects of the films and each well-worth a listen. Those who have forgotten the quality of the commentaries or who never took the time or had the chance to listen will find a deeper appreciation for the accomplishments on screen. All sound aspects remain excellent on every level. Some additional commentary might go on a future-edition wish list, but more about that later.

LOOK AND DESIGN

Absolutely nothing was wrong the design and packaging of the theatrical edition Blu-rays. It packed a lot of content into an efficient box and made the films easy to watch. But these surpass them in every way. The golden toned design announces that these are a more valuable addition to a buyer's library and incorporates a character-centric look unlike the DVD EE's. But the subtle color coding on the spines is a nod back to the DVDs and goes along well with the interior design. Hearkening back to the credit sketches of Alan Lee and John Howe, the interior discs choose class over flash and the design team must receive credit for every choice. The 15-discs are compactly stored and work cohesively for each film without being confusing. They also smartly protect the contents against damage, compact and not cramped.

The inclusion of a digital copy, while standard, is still a welcome and attractive part of the package, allowing the consumer the ability to have the films portable on the device of choice.

EXTRAS

The home video market has changed mightily since the DVD EE's hit shelves. Film studios are currently reluctant to invest heavily in extras when films are getting less expensive in stores and sinking money into more content for the same money is a bad investment. The extras here are identical to the DVD EEs but with the addition of the behind-the-scenes Costa Botes documentaries for each film. They are a nice addition but like all the extras, they come on DVDs and are not in hi-def and don't have the same quality as the films. In other words, they are duplicate content, in a new box.

The content, to be sure, is still among the very elite produced for any film for home use. There are only a handful of film packages that belong on the same shelf. The story of the making of the films coupled with the organization of the material and the willingness of the those involved to talk extensively about the work are astounding. And, with a soft market as mentioned above, studios aren't as likely to invest in such extras very often so we may not see their like again or at least not very often.

So the bad news is, all this excellent, watchable content is still only in standard def. But would fans really treasure it on Blu-ray and would the expense of a scan and transfer be worth it to Warners? Financially, it probably wouldn't be, although I happen to know a great many "hardcore"¯ fans that absolutely would, it is less certain how wide of an audience would care at all. Artistically, it absolutely would be. Further, a great deal of content fans have never seen still exists. Blooper reels are the tip of the iceberg but that alone would be clamored over by an audience that loved the source books by J.R.R. Tolkien with a deep passion and loves these films with a similar fervency.

So the good news is that with two "Hobbit"¯ films on the horizon, there is a good opportunity for these films to be revisited again in 2014 or 2015. So Warners, please be aware that a core of fans is aware of material shot and still in storage (hopefully!) and that they want a future hi-def release just as Jackson used to speak about. On my personal wish list would be new commentaries with Jackson's team and film historians and actors (as available) and perhaps even some journalists about these films with a decade of perspective. But, far, far more important is all the hinted-at material by Jackson and Ian McKellen and other actors and production in many interviews over the years about material that has never seen the light of day.

Those few of us who have seen bits of a blooper reel know the mis-takes are priceless.

More good news is that the same team responsible for all the extras excellence is thought to be on the scene in New Zealand for the filming so far on "The Hobbit,"¯ and hopefully those films will be the exception to the current trend to release films with minimal and obvious extras features.

DETAILS

Extended Editions of three films in 1080p and DTS HD-MA 6.1 audio. Deluxe 15-disc set includes 9 special features DVDs with over 26 hours of behind-the-scenes material Including the rare Costa Botes documentaries.

"The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring"¯ (extended edition) With the help of a courageous fellowship of friends and allies, Frodo Baggins embarks on a perilous mission to destroy the legendary One Ring. "The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers"¯ (extended edition) In the middle chapter of this historic movie trilogy, the Fellowship is broken but its quest to destroy the One Ring continues. "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King"¯ (extended edition) The final battle for Middle-earth begins. Frodo and Sam, led by Gollum, continue their dangerous mission toward the fires of Mount Doom in order to destroy the One Ring.

Each film is on two Blu-ray discs with two DVD extras discs each plus the Costa Botes documentaries on a third disc for each film.

Official site: lordoftherings.net/.

FINAL THOUGHTS ABOUT THE FILM

This trio of films have aged well. A decade can diminish a movie's impact but that is not the case here. The films are best when they hold closest to Tolkien's characters and spirit. Looking back now, FOTR is virtually as perfect a film as can be found at home or in theaters and while the tale and storytelling later became complicated, much of it works because of the foundation laid in the first film. I was surprised to realize how excellent Liv Tyler was in limited time on screen but high-level performances are the norm here, in a fantasy film no less. And of course the greatness of Weta is fully on display. Many things combined to create this film trilogy, as ambitious and accomplished as any, ever and this edition of the films is the very best available to date. And, if we weren't absolutely sure a decade ago, there can be no doubt now, these films are absolutely classics.

If you purchase the discs through WB, you get a set of actor portraits as well.

(This post was edited by Silverlode on Jun 29 2011, 7:38am)

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Jun 28 2011, 2:45pm

Post #2 of 94 (1730 views)
Shortcut
Got my copy today. [In reply to] Can't Post

Hope the green hue isn't as bad as people are making out :/

Patty
Immortal

Jun 28 2011, 3:20pm

Post #3 of 94 (1723 views)
Shortcut
Thank you. While I have decided to go ahead and purchase the Blu-ray now... [In reply to] Can't Post

I can only hope that PJ and Lesnie will reconsider their decision and, along with WB and send the color timing back to the way it looked when I fell in love with it, at least by the time the ultimate box set is done, if it is done. My question for now is, WHY did they do it? Of course, this would be my favorite of the 3 (although, of course, it is one long movie.)Frown

And, just in case Warner Bros. would like to know--yes, I personally would like to see the special features in HD. There was, for example, an hour long doc (name is escaping me at the moment) that is included in the special features that I would give a good deal to see that way. The point is, these films are, as you said, classics. Just like Gone With The Wind or The Wizard of Oz they will go into history and many future fans will want to know all about how they were made. The SD format will one day look even more blurry and undetailed to fans that the studio will regret not putting out the money now. I believe they would see return on their investment--if not immediately, then throughout the years that LotR will be selling.

Anyway, for now, I'll be heading over to Best Buy shortly to purchase these films in blu-ray. I hope the PTB listen to the many on the internet who want Fellowship to be sent back to the studios to get it right--the increased clarity that we have now, but the colors they way they've always been.

Permanent address: Into the West

Erin Lysse

Jun 28 2011, 3:24pm

Post #4 of 94 (1751 views)
Shortcut
Blu-ray or not Blu-ray... :) [In reply to] Can't Post

I have to say I just got my Blu-ray player and I got it, with this movies in mind, but after reading the review I think I'm going to wait to buy this. I think I might get more extras if they release the movies again after The Hobbit.

I just love the Extras, as much as I want to see the movies in Blu-ray I need more extras than the one that have been added to the new release.

Be well!!!

"Create with your life a Masterpiece"
"Human roses may fade but they never die"
"Never drive (or fly ^^) faster than your Guardian Angel can fly"
http://www.youtube.com/MonicaOP http://monicaop.livejournal.com/

Kendalf
Rohan

Jun 28 2011, 3:34pm

Post #5 of 94 (1679 views)
Shortcut
Excellent review! [In reply to] Can't Post

A fair and honest review. Thank you. I’m happy to see what I think is the first open admission of the tint controversy on TORn at last (outside the fan discussions on the forums).

If I may…

“Many TORn readers have been deeply concerned about reports regarding the color timing of the films. It can safely be termed a controversy at this point.”

You can say that again!

“So far as I can discover, no official statements have been released regarding it”

Well, none of any substance or value. Not a squeak from Jackson, Lesnie or Wingnut. Yesterday, however, the Official Lord of the Rings Facebook page made a statement in a Discussion thread I had started on their page. They claimed: “Warner Bros Home Entertainment Group confirms that The Lord of the Rings The Motion Picture Trilogy Extended Edition Blu-ray accurately represents the intended look of each of the three features.” Mmm...

“I checked with independent sources that are definitely in-the-know, and director Peter Jackson and director of photography Andrew Lesnie were directly involved and approved the changes in color to the films.”

They approved plenty of colour changes to the film, certainly. The work on many of the scenes is absolutely wonderful. The real question is whether they then approved putting a blanket green tint all over their hard work!

“I have a strong, but completely unconfirmed suspicion that something went wrong in the scan or transfer process.”

You, and the rest of us…

(This post was edited by Kendalf on Jun 28 2011, 3:36pm)

roäc
Bree

Jun 28 2011, 3:40pm

Post #6 of 94 (1677 views)
Shortcut
Thank you for the review! [In reply to] Can't Post

Do you know if there is somewhere a direct comparison between frames from the Extended-Edition-DVDs, the Theatrical Cut and the Extended Edition on Blu-ray?

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Jun 28 2011, 3:51pm

Post #7 of 94 (1693 views)
Shortcut
Lots of places. [In reply to] Can't Post

http://youtu.be/Vwcm-73kZE8

http://blubrew.com/...ng-extended-edition/

and join in our discussion here:
http://newboards.theonering.net/...latest_reply;so=ASC;

(This post was edited by QuackingTroll on Jun 28 2011, 3:53pm)

Patty
Immortal

Jun 28 2011, 4:24pm

Post #8 of 94 (1744 views)
Shortcut
To whomever has already seen this...How does the "second breakfast" scene look? [In reply to] Can't Post

Is the overall movie darker..ie. Is Bilbo's waistcoat now burgundy instead of red?

Oscarilbo
Lorien

Jun 28 2011, 5:48pm

Post #9 of 94 (1774 views)
Shortcut
color timing already confirmed... [In reply to] Can't Post

Bill Hunt from TheDigitalBits.com
got the official statement released by Warner Home Video...

http://thedigitalbits.com/#mytwocents

people overblowed this. For me the look reminds me of the original theater screening back in 2001, which did not find on any of the Home Video releases, until now.

"The World is Changed, I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air"

(This post was edited by Oscarilbo on Jun 28 2011, 5:52pm)

Patty
Immortal

Jun 28 2011, 5:54pm

Post #10 of 94 (1697 views)
Shortcut
So, you're saying that... [In reply to] Can't Post

the movie does not appear darker than we've been seeing it? That would be so good to know.

Kendalf
Rohan

Jun 28 2011, 6:20pm

Post #11 of 94 (1683 views)
Shortcut
Yep... [In reply to] Can't Post

@Oscarilbo

That's the exact two-sentence statement they posted in my Discussion thread on the LotR Facebook page.

A couple of things:

1) In the first sentence, it's Warner Brothers Home Entertainment Group that's confirming this is how the blu-ray should look; not Jackson, Lesnie or Wingnut.
2) In the second sentence, yes, no-one denies that FotR was remastered and that the new grading is wonderful in places; it's just that we're confused as to why they then decided to place a blanket green tint across the entire film and obscure their good work.

Anyway, my UK set arrived today. I'm off now to check this whole thing out with my own eyes. Here's hoping I report back in an hour or so and renounce everything I've posted on the issue, eh?

Oscarilbo
Lorien

Jun 28 2011, 6:35pm

Post #12 of 94 (1619 views)
Shortcut
yes [In reply to] Can't Post

and you have to realize that an official statement means that the sentences have been approved to be quoted, but doesn`t mean thats all Warner Home Video said about it. So if you continue reading what Bill says...

"Nevertheless, we are told that the filmmakers have checked the discs and confirmed this is the intended look"

this is more than enough for me to forget about the subject.

Either way, we know these WON´T be the definitive or ultimate edition of the Lord of the Rings tirlogy. I´m looking forward to the one that will have Martin Freeman as Bilbo in the FOTR prologue, and maybe and hopefully some CGI elements at least a little bit restored (The Hobbit + LOTR definitive edition).

"The World is Changed, I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air"

(This post was edited by Oscarilbo on Jun 28 2011, 6:37pm)

Sharky
Bree

Jun 28 2011, 6:43pm

Post #13 of 94 (1616 views)
Shortcut
Bravo... [In reply to] Can't Post

Delighted to see the green/blue tint issue being mentioned prominently in the review. If it is a mistake, perhaps WB will enact a replacement programme?

And here we find you, feasting and... smoking!

Isildur's Heir
The Shire

Jun 28 2011, 6:48pm

Post #14 of 94 (1603 views)
Shortcut
Would like to see this addressed one way or another [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Delighted to see the green/blue tint issue being mentioned prominently in the review. If it is a mistake, perhaps WB will enact a replacement programme?

Indeed. I've been following this issue with some concern, and I must admit, I've become hesitant about purchasing this set, even though I've been waiting for it for a very long time. My hope is that PJ, given his close connection with this site, will somehow address this issue now that it's been mentioned here in an official manner.

If this is in fact what they have chosen, then I suppose we'll have to deal with it, but it would be nice to hear it directly from PJ and the others.

(This post was edited by Isildur's Heir on Jun 28 2011, 6:52pm)

Mauricio
Bree

Jun 28 2011, 6:53pm

Post #15 of 94 (1592 views)
Shortcut
He's already addressed it apparently, [In reply to] Can't Post

Via Harry Knowles in his review (http://www.aintitcool.com/node/50193):

Earlier this month there was some hub-bub about some of the Blu Ray forums that the FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING EE Blu-Ray mastering was completely ruined with an ugly green hint over everything, oblitering any real whites and messing up the entire gorgeous color palate of the film. I wrote Peter Jackson to alert him to the rumors. Peter had Andrew Lesnie look into it – you see… of the 3 films, FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING EE was the only film of the trilogy that did not go through the extensive and expensive Digital Color Grading process. They did that for this. Peter had seen the new mastering of FELLOWSHIP – in fact anyone that had seen it on HD broadcasts recently was looking at the gorgeous master sans any tinting. In Peter’s opinion the film has simply never looked better – including theatrically, because this new digital color grading was something that Peter wanted from the very beginning.

(This post was edited by Altaira on Oct 27 2012, 11:14pm)

Patty
Immortal

Jun 28 2011, 7:01pm

Post #16 of 94 (1624 views)
Shortcut
What he needs to address is "WHY" it was done, because... [In reply to] Can't Post

many who have seen the special feature on digital grading and why the film looks like it does on the DVD EE would say that this is a contradiction of his previous statements.

I've got 3 hours before this will be in my hot little hands. Unfortunately, last night was another one of my sleepless nights, so I may not be seeing it until tomorrow to judge all for myself.

fingolfin_nc
Bree

Jun 28 2011, 7:12pm

Post #17 of 94 (1602 views)
Shortcut
I have been waiting for these... [In reply to] Can't Post

... and now it appears I will wait a little longer until this issue is addressed not through Harry K at AICN, but on this or another LOTR site directly. There is no bigger Tolkien geek (slight embellishment) than I and I must express deep concern that my favorite of the three films and my favorite version of this film has been altered in this way.

I must also agree that there is no way this was intentional from a perfectionist like PJ.

Sharky
Bree

Jun 28 2011, 7:43pm

Post #18 of 94 (1579 views)
Shortcut
No, Knowles!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Mad Argghhhhh, Harry Knowles just glosses over the issue? Great...

And here we find you, feasting and... smoking!

MrCere
Sr. Staff

Jun 28 2011, 8:34pm

Post #19 of 94 (1556 views)
Shortcut
Not exactly [In reply to] Can't Post

This "statement" was given to Bill Hunt, who I have a lot of respect for, by WB, to address this exact issue. It wasn't a press release given to a wide array of media or writers as far as I know.

I am not discrediting the statement but I would term it spin. A big corporation, wanting to maximize money on a product (which I am definitely not finding fault with) wants every consumer to think everything is perfect with the product.

To me, it is clear that there is a color issue on parts of the product. Writing a review and not mentioning it wouldn't be honest.

I stress, as I did in the review, that this doesn't ruin the film. It is a beautiful transfer but, without doubt, it is green and it is noticeable in places. That isn't nothing, at least not to me. Still, it is the best edition of these films available and I still definitely recommend them.

Having a discussion about the issue isn't overblown at all. It is important for a consumer to know everything they can about a product before they plop down $60. It is bad form for me to comment further I think and I should let the review speak for itself. And, after everybody watches it today, there will be many more eye witness opinions on it.

Oh, and thanks for the compliments on the review in the bigger thread. It is nice to know anybody reads it at all!

I have no choice but to believe in free will.

The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie

My blog

(This post was edited by MrCere on Jun 28 2011, 8:37pm)

Kendalf
Rohan

Jun 28 2011, 8:40pm

Post #20 of 94 (1569 views)
Shortcut
Sharky's right [In reply to] Can't Post

"Peter had seen the new mastering of FELLOWSHIP – in fact anyone that had seen it on HD broadcasts recently was looking at the gorgeous master sans any tinting. In Peter’s opinion the film has simply never looked better"

This does NOT address the issue at all. In fact, does it even make sense?

When he says "broadcasts", he means the screenings in cinemas, right? Well, yes, may fans have indeed stated they didn't detect a tint which has led many (including myself) to infer it wasn't actually there, which is turn has added weight to the so-it-must-be-a-mistake-with-the-blu-ray argument...

MrCere
Sr. Staff

Jun 28 2011, 8:43pm

Post #21 of 94 (1534 views)
Shortcut
I am DYING to hear your views Patty [In reply to] Can't Post

Please share them at your earliest!

I have no choice but to believe in free will.

The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie

My blog

Patty
Immortal

Jun 28 2011, 8:46pm

Post #22 of 94 (1511 views)
Shortcut
Larry, have I told you recently... [In reply to] Can't Post

how very much I appreciate all of your work here?

This is an excellent review.

Kendalf
Rohan

Jun 28 2011, 9:29pm

Post #23 of 94 (1607 views)
Shortcut
My "eye-witness opinion"... [In reply to] Can't Post

OK, so here’s my “eye-witness” account having just skimmed some key scenes this evening…

Please bear in mind that I’m the guy who brought this up on Jackson’s Facebook page and the Official LotR page: I’m not here to gloss over any issues I detected. At the same time, though, neither am I one for stirring up needless, unwarranted controversy. I’m just going to try to be as honest (and calm!) as I can about what I saw on my set-up (a PS3 and a Sony LCD TV playing a UK blu-ray). Importantly, I was flicking between the new blu-ray and my old DVDs for a point of reference.

The Fellowship title

Despite some online screenshots showing it as a minty green, mine was as white as dammit.

Concerning hobbits

Basically, it looked tolerable to me despite the fact that the greens were slightly overwhelming (near radioactive at times). Teal jerkins and decorations certainly leaped out, too.

Gandalf’s visit to Saruman

Outside Orthanc, Saruman was as white as ever – I could detect no difference worth mentioning. Inside, though, there was a very, very strong blue tint (though it was somewhat atmospheric).

Second breakfast

Not good news. When they first set off “into the wild” after the knife in the dark chapter, the tint is oppressive – unnatural foliage, blue eyeballs etc. When they stop for second breakfast, the tint is still present and ugly (especially when compared to the DVD). When they plod through the Midgewater Marshes, again it’s overwhelming: teal heather in the distance, green fog.

Weathertop

When Frodo put the ring on and saw the Ringwraiths as the ghostly kings of old, they were as white as ever (with maybe a slight blueness to the shadowing).

Fade to “colour” at Rivendell

When Frodo first arrives at Rivendell and fades into unconsciousness, the fade…was indeed white. Maybe it had moved from a slightly peachy white in the DVD to a slightly minty white but it was nowhere, absolutely nowhere, near the fade-to-green we’ve seen online.

Council of Elrond

The golden-orange bloom-effect of the DVD has been much reduced, leading to an arguably more naturalistic tone. Better, in my book.

The Pass of Caradhras

The sweeping aerial shot we’ve all seen…is fairly accurate; there is a noticeable blue tint but, once more, it’s nowhere near as extreme as some screen-caps suggest. In close-ups, snow is white. When the ring falls and is right up close to the camera…the snow it’s lying on is white but there is a really, really strong blue tint to the hills in the distance. The sky behind Boromir when he picks up the ring to look at it is much more vibrant but only borderline unnatural.

Galadriel

When the Fellowship first meets her, her dress is as white as dammit.

So, there you go.

My conclusion? Well, for the last couple of weeks I’ve been convinced an oppressive teal tint was plastered over the entire film indiscriminately by accident. Now, I’m not so sure. Now, it seems to me more likely that the tint was indeed applied deliberately (much more in some sections than others) in yet another example of the big studios’ current obsession with teal.

But the (possible) fact that it is deliberate does not mean it was done well and should not be challenged. Its impact in some scenes is appalling (who let blue eyeballs pass QA?) and, in my opinion, Jackson therefore still needs to justify the apparent cack-handedness with which his desired tint was applied.

(This post was edited by Kendalf on Jun 28 2011, 9:33pm)

greendragon
Sr. Staff

Jun 28 2011, 9:31pm

Post #24 of 94 (1571 views)
Shortcut
Still holding out for Elijah's audition video... [In reply to] Can't Post

Excellent review Mr Cere - thank you! I will definitely be purchasing these editions of the movies - and may even but a blu-ray player to go with them! Wink

I'm slightly disappointed there aren't any new extras. I'm really eager/anxious to see a blooper reel - and most of all, I would love to see screen test and auditions if possible. I would pay SERIOUS money for a glimpse of Stuart Townsend in role! And I really want to see the film The Lovely Elijah made for his own audition. So curious to see how he imagined Frodo long before he was in the role...

'There are older and fouler things than orcs in the deep places of my fridge...'

'You never know what will happen next, when once you get mixed up with TORnsibs and their friends.'

Steven Van der Berg
Rivendell

Jun 28 2011, 10:46pm

Post #25 of 94 (1583 views)
Shortcut
To throw some fuel to the Warner quality-control fire... [In reply to] Can't Post

The German PAL pressings have an extra 4% pitch-down applied to them. Normally when films that are shot in 24 fps are mastered to PAL DVD or BLU-RAY (25fps), it's done in a 1:1 transfer fashion/ This results in a 4% speed-up in the synched soundtrack. Normally they pitch this down to sound more natural. In this case it looks like it was applied twice..

http://babelfish.yahoo.com/translate_url?doit=done&tt=url&intl=1&fr=bf-res&trurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.herr-der-ringe-film.de%2Fv3%2Fde%2Fnews%2Ftolkienfilme%2Fnews_70912.php%3Futm_source%3Ddlvr.it%26utm_medium%3Dfacebook%26utm_campaign%3Dherr-der-ringe-film.de&lp=de_en&btnTrUrl=Translate

Warner seems notorious for these mishaps. Either way, looks like Germany is going to have to get a re-issue sooner or later.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.