Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Entertainment Weekly has 3 new photos from 'The Hobbit'
First page Previous page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next page Last page  View All

sphdle1
Gondor

Jun 24 2011, 11:41am

Post #226 of 318 (1118 views)
Shortcut
The first photo looks photoshopped [In reply to] Can't Post

It looks like they captured bilbo and through in the background photo part...actually the background picture looks like a painting or something rendered by an artist, and not an actual photo...!??

sphdle1

"You shall not pass!"

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Jun 24 2011, 12:18pm

Post #227 of 318 (1053 views)
Shortcut
The picture is much too small and blurry to make out facial details. [In reply to] Can't Post

You are judging prematurely. Let's wait for a close-up of Thorin...

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jun 24 2011, 12:20pm

Post #228 of 318 (1060 views)
Shortcut
It does looked Dropped in! [In reply to] Can't Post

The Foreground Photo is really Martin and it would have been easy to Drop another entirely different shot of the Dwarves taken on another day of what we see within the Round door way. The lighting seems a little wrong back there. So, I'm gunna just say it s a composite.

pulpfiction16
Rivendell

Jun 24 2011, 12:26pm

Post #229 of 318 (1036 views)
Shortcut
Could be [In reply to] Can't Post

It could be photoshopped, similar to how that first photo of Jackson on set clearly wouldn't have had the landscape in the background. It likely is HDR, or if not that, simply just two photos stitched together (HDR might pose a problem with people, who couldn't be in the same spot in each frame). That would also explain why it looks artificially blurred, since, (and my eyes might be tricking me, and I might need glasses), the room Bilbo is in appears to be perfectly sharp, with no hint of going out of focus to quite that degree. So, to make it look a bit more natural, they blurred it as if it were out of focus.

Or I might be wrong, and it might just be a regular shot, with enough lighting in that other room, and it just looks so odd because the high levels of post-editing sharpness, definition, and smoothness added.

Lovely photo though, in fact all of the Hobbit publicity stills have been spectacularly taken. Kudos to the photographer (whomever it is, they really deserve some credit). I can't think of any other big movies that have released such well composed production photos, not even Lord of the Rings.

Delrond
Rohan

Jun 24 2011, 12:28pm

Post #230 of 318 (1033 views)
Shortcut
I wonder [In reply to] Can't Post

if this picture is a still from the 48 FPS filming.

Things are now in motion that cannot be undone.

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Jun 24 2011, 12:32pm

Post #231 of 318 (1069 views)
Shortcut
What you see is what you get. [In reply to] Can't Post

I think Bilbo is fine. As to the Dwarfs...it is really hard to tell anything. I would swear the portion within the rounded arch, which contains the Dwarves images was manipulated. It looks more like a painting or intentionally blurred rather than out of focus.

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

Delrond
Rohan

Jun 24 2011, 12:35pm

Post #232 of 318 (1025 views)
Shortcut
Also, [In reply to] Can't Post

If this is a still from the filming, it is being shot in 3D. That may explain the relative blur of the dwarves in the background.

dormouse
Half-elven

Jun 24 2011, 12:38pm

Post #233 of 318 (1057 views)
Shortcut
I don't think it's a still.... [In reply to] Can't Post

... because Gandalf isn't there and, if the video was anything to go by, I'd have expected him to be sitting in that doorway. In any case, I doubt they're going to give that much away at this stage. I'm just staggered by the amount of information some people reckon they've deduced from it.

I'm just pleased to see the photo as a sign that things are really happening!

Delrond
Rohan

Jun 24 2011, 12:45pm

Post #234 of 318 (1040 views)
Shortcut
Throwing out the possibility [In reply to] Can't Post

of it being a still only. I have no idea. In any case, I like what I see and and pleased that the photo was released at all. Thorin with or without gray hair, it's still Thorin. I'm more concerned that Thorin is true to his nature in the Hobbit than his appearance. And for some reason, I don't think we'll see Gandalf in black boots either.

Bound
Rohan

Jun 24 2011, 12:46pm

Post #235 of 318 (1015 views)
Shortcut
It's not a still from filming... [In reply to] Can't Post

but even if it was, the 3D issue wouldn't cause that kind of bluring. The 3D duplicates the image it doesn't blur different areas of the shot.

My educated guess is that this is a clear promotional shot. I think the background with the dwarfs is blurred on purpose to simple hint at the design they are going for but to keep the focus on Bilbo...

The man in black fled across the desert and the gunslinger followed

pulpfiction16
Rivendell

Jun 24 2011, 12:51pm

Post #236 of 318 (1014 views)
Shortcut
Nope [In reply to] Can't Post

3-D wouldn't make a difference. If this were taken from a 3D still, they would simply use one of the images from one of the lens, so, it would look like a normal image.

And 48 frames wouldn't be inherently obvious in a still image, particularly of a slow moving dialogue scene.

It's more than likely a publicity still using the same, or similar blocking to a moment in the scene.

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Jun 24 2011, 12:53pm

Post #237 of 318 (1039 views)
Shortcut
I mentioned the same thing on another thread. [In reply to] Can't Post

My wife (with a Masters Degree in Fine Arts: Painting & a job with a gallery support group) said first thing that the background was not real. I think that it was at least manipulated.

Photobucket

Bound
Rohan

Jun 24 2011, 12:58pm

Post #238 of 318 (1025 views)
Shortcut
I reckon... [In reply to] Can't Post

The background has been intentionally blurred as to give us an hint of the dwarf design but not to show it in great detail.

The focus of the photo is Bilbo ....

The man in black fled across the desert and the gunslinger followed

Legolass
The Shire

Jun 24 2011, 1:30pm

Post #239 of 318 (979 views)
Shortcut
Since Bilbo's feet are bigger here than in the LOTR movies ... [In reply to] Can't Post

....it means that hobbit feet grow smaller as they grow older! Smile

Great to see those pics - Gandalf looks just the same!

Legolass
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~In the end the Shadow is only a small and passing thing: there is light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach - J.R.R. Tolkein.~

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Jun 24 2011, 2:14pm

Post #240 of 318 (986 views)
Shortcut
Gandalf's feet are bigger in the Hobbit too.// [In reply to] Can't Post

Photobucket

OneFantorulethemall
The Shire

Jun 24 2011, 2:22pm

Post #241 of 318 (1007 views)
Shortcut
Entertainment Weekly has 3 new photos from 'The Hobbit' [In reply to] Can't Post

I screamed (loudly) when I saw the photos. I cried. I smiled for the rest of the day and I'm still smiling. the one of Bilbo and the dwarves in Bag End is going to be my laptop wallpaper until the rapture.
oh gosh. I can't wait for more photos.
HeartSmile

RosieLass
Valinor

Jun 24 2011, 2:32pm

Post #242 of 318 (955 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

Some of them were saying "Peter can do no wrong."

They were the same people who took offense at any comment that even hinted at criticism of any decision PJ made.

They're as tedious as the "Peter can do nothing right," folks who were blowing the films off as a bad job months before they were released. (And yes, I've run into some of those, too.)

Since I'm not as emotionally invested in the Hobbit as I am in LOTR, I don't expect to be as critical of these films. I expect I will enjoy them very much.

I also enjoyed the LOTR movies. I just can't bring myself to wax as enthusiastic about them as some people do. And that's okay.

It is always those with the fewest sensible things to say who make the loudest noise in saying them. --Precious Ramotswe (Alexander McCall Smith)

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Jun 24 2011, 2:32pm

Post #243 of 318 (963 views)
Shortcut
Gandalf in black boots [In reply to] Can't Post

has been confirmed on Ian Mckellen's blog, here... http://www.mckellen.com/cinema/hobbit-movie/110331.htm

"I now have a substantial, magic-looking silvery scarf to wear and act with and perhaps find some part of its own to play. I've already twisted it into a stylish turban. And, as per JRR Tolkien, below the familiar gown, a new pair of black boots may be spied"

Delrond
Rohan

Jun 24 2011, 3:06pm

Post #244 of 318 (956 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the link, [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll keep an eye out for those boots!

Marten

Jun 24 2011, 3:49pm

Post #245 of 318 (945 views)
Shortcut
What's all the negative fuzz about? [In reply to] Can't Post

I just do not understand why everyone is so negative about the dwarves, and especially Thorin. You sure do have good eyes if you can make anything out of this blurry picture!

Bilbo looks great to me. Absolutely - exactly- the way I imagined him. Off course, it's impossible for PJ to live up to everyones expectations and imaginations. When you read the books, there is a lot that can be filled in by your own vision of things. Just that is one of the great things about the writings of Tolkien.

Thorin is not described physically in any of the books by Tolkien. Just his garment (hood and weapons). From what I can make from this picture, he sure looks majestic, stern and angry to me. Just like I pictured him. Armitage is a great actor, very well cast. Can't understand why people think he is too young or looks like Drogo (what!?!). This is just PJ's vision of him, and - yes - that may differ from yours. That is the problem that comes with turning book to film in a nutshell.

I was thrilled to see these first images. It brought me right back to this wonderful world, and brought back a lot of fond memories.

Let's all save our judgements and reservations till these movies finally arrive in the theaters. I'm sure Richard Armitage/Thorin and Martin Freeman/Bilbo will blow us all away..!

Delrond
Rohan

Jun 24 2011, 3:52pm

Post #246 of 318 (972 views)
Shortcut
Are those coffee cups to the left (orange w/ handles)? [In reply to] Can't Post

They are not even similar to what Bilbo served Gandalf tea (no handle and gray) in FOTR. Are they off camera perhaps?

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Jun 24 2011, 4:07pm

Post #247 of 318 (903 views)
Shortcut
60 Years [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
They are not even similar to what Bilbo served Gandalf tea (no handle and gray) in FOTR. Are they off camera perhaps?

Bilbo served Gandalf the tea 60 (?) years later, not tomorrow or the next year.

Rufus
Bree

Jun 24 2011, 4:11pm

Post #248 of 318 (934 views)
Shortcut
But [In reply to] Can't Post

The no furrows on his brow can't be right Armitage is famous for his crinkles. Wink

In Reply To
Whereas Thorin arrived at the bottom of a pile of dwarves right at the end. If Thorin had been introduced before Balin and on his own without mention of his age or hair colour i would agree he was not noticeably old looking or notably greying, but as the situation unfolded i think the narrative propulsion was the most important element in that particular moment and so all extraneous detail was removed. I don't think any of the dwarves in that bundle were described as wearing clothes other than their hoods while others did at least get a mention so are they exceptions to the naked dwarf rule? Combined with the solid fact he was the oldest of the dwarves, older than Balin i think it is safe to assume he was grey.

In terms of premature greying, yes, young people can be grey or even white haired, on the other hand, i don't think anyone makes it into the winter of their years without getting a bit of snow on the roof. Modern hair-dye allows you to look younger for longer (explaining Mr McShanes glossy black locks) but sooner or later men start to get the whiff of the silver fox about them (and women don't escape the ravages either).

It's not just the hair-colour though- if Richard Armitage had a greying beard that wouldn't solve the problem of his look- it's the smoothness and definition of his features in that picture that equally give the game away (if not more). One of the great things about Ian McShane's face (and something that would likely be transferred into his prosthetics if he was cast) is the ravages of age that have started to tell. He's lived a life, he's had a few hard nights, the way his eyes bag and his jowls hang around his mouth tells you he's not a young pup any more, it gives the face character, it tells of a hard life. Of course there are some who live into their old age and yet remain eternally youthful- Cliff Richard could never bluff it convincingly that he's had a drinking problem and a string of illegitimate children whereas the puckered visages of Mick Jagger and Keith Richards give the game away immediately. My dad got Keith Richards' autobiography for christmas and i was looking through it and you see that he didn't start out an ugly man- he wasn't born with those lines, but the way age and his lifestyle have affected his very facial features is remarkable. Thorin has lived a tough life, and from what we've seen in this picture there is no evidence of that: the skin is still smooth, the cheekbones are still high and unmarred by drooping bags from the eyes, the nose is as defined and uncoloured as the teetotaller actor (nothing against teetotallers, i'm something of one myself) and there isn't a single furrow in his forehead or cheeks. Either cosmetic surgery is anachronistically advanced in Middle-earth or he's lived a very comfortable and stress-free life. Frankly i don't see either of those being likely.

Dr Death

namarie
Rohan

Jun 24 2011, 4:11pm

Post #249 of 318 (905 views)
Shortcut
more like wine cups :-D // [In reply to] Can't Post

There is always hope

The Revolutionist

Jun 24 2011, 4:18pm

Post #250 of 318 (914 views)
Shortcut
Very excited [In reply to] Can't Post

Really excited to see the pictures, though in a way the ongoing drip of information just serves to tantalize and drag out the wait! Not that I'm genuinely complaining, I'm glad to see these photos - I just wish it wasn't so long until we get to see the films!

First page Previous page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.