Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Elijah Wood talks a bit about The Hobbit on Jimmy Fallon

namarie
Rohan

Jun 24 2011, 11:52am

Post #1 of 18 (2139 views)
Shortcut
Elijah Wood talks a bit about The Hobbit on Jimmy Fallon Can't Post

Here is an interview with Elijah on Jimmy Fallon. At 3:15 he speaks about the hobbit.

He said he thinks he will be in a scene with Ian Holm but I don't think he knows for sure (at least that was my impression)

I found out about the interview from Eowyn of Penns Woods so thank you Eowyn :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXfAF7UrzRo

I don't know if this was already posted.

There is always hope

(This post was edited by namarie on Jun 24 2011, 11:53am)

Delrond
Rohan

Jun 24 2011, 12:21pm

Post #2 of 18 (856 views)
Shortcut
Not much news there but, [In reply to] Can't Post

Elijah seems pretty excited about the glueless prosthetic hobbit feet. I think Bilbo and Frodo's interaction will take place in Rivendell before the Council of Elrond. Unless it is the VERY old Bilbo, in which case it could take place either 1) in Rivendell after the War of the Ring or 2) on the road to the Grey Havens.

Things are now in motion that cannot be undone.

Ruijor
Rohan

Jun 25 2011, 3:35am

Post #3 of 18 (705 views)
Shortcut
Nothing really new and I´m glad he doesn´t know more than that [In reply to] Can't Post

I kind of dislike all this spoiler talk that movie stars end up doing on talk shows and interviews, I know there´s a lot of pressure to say something really interesting and fresh but sometimes they cross the line( pay attention Michael Caine!)...

I wonder how many minutes will Frodo be on screen. I´m sure there must be some dialog between him and Bilbo and I know think the best way to present those two characters would be on their way to Valinor when they´re on the elven ship. That would tie nicely with the ending of Return Of The King...

taekotemple
Grey Havens

Jun 25 2011, 5:17am

Post #4 of 18 (684 views)
Shortcut
For some reason, I found that weird hammer game more interesting. [In reply to] Can't Post

I wasn't completely paying attention, but it had something to do with hitting nails with a hammer?

R11
Lorien

Jun 25 2011, 6:32am

Post #5 of 18 (696 views)
Shortcut
No.... [In reply to] Can't Post

It should be in The Shire before LOTR even begins IMO. There's no need to jump into the time frame of LOTR. It would be even worse to have it take place with very old Bilbo. It would feel wrong to have The Hobbit framing device narration coming from a character with knowledge of things beyond The Hobbit, as that then impinges on LOTR itself. I don't mind the non-linearity of the framing device within the one movie set, but jumbling things up by having it come from within the second set becomes gimmicky and takes away from LOTR proper. Just having it for TH will allow to tie the two stories together in a way, while still keeping them distinct and separate as the books are.

ron

AlatarVinyamar
Lorien

Jun 25 2011, 10:18am

Post #6 of 18 (656 views)
Shortcut
Problem with that option [In reply to] Can't Post

If its before LotR timeline, Bilbo hasn't yet written the Red Book in Movie-verse. We see him beginning it in Fellowship and he has only finished it by Rivendell.

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Jun 25 2011, 10:29am

Post #7 of 18 (657 views)
Shortcut
I still have faith in my theory... [In reply to] Can't Post

That we will see Frodo setting up to write Lord of the rings in Bag End as we do at the end of Return of the King. Before writing, he decides to read The Hobbit and the film starts. It then ends with Bilbo adopting Frodo after Drogo's death and flowing seamlessly into Fellowship.

,The flash-back pulls out again at the end of Return of the King where Frodo is finishing his input. Essentially book-ending all five films.

namarie
Rohan

Jun 25 2011, 10:45am

Post #8 of 18 (634 views)
Shortcut
yes it was something about hitting the nails [In reply to] Can't Post

and it was funny how elijah kept missing the nail..I think he concentrated more on drinking the beer Laugh

There is always hope

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Jun 25 2011, 12:58pm

Post #9 of 18 (632 views)
Shortcut
No Love Boat Scenes! [In reply to] Can't Post

It will be set in Bilbo's room at Rivendell at the point in Fellowship where Bilbo gives Frodo Sting.

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

eralkfang
Lorien

Jun 25 2011, 3:14pm

Post #10 of 18 (592 views)
Shortcut
Well! [In reply to] Can't Post

This destroys my "Frodo reading the Red Book to Elanor" theory. Maaaan!

I think it'll be set after Return of the King (and before they go to Valinor, obviously); Frodo putting his things in order and Bilbo perhaps asking for him to read the Red Book to him.

Do you think they'll talk about Bilbo lying about the Ring, to fit in with the retcon Tolkien did? Perhaps go back to the frame story and have Frodo ask him if he wants to correct the chapter to what actually happened?

shadowdog
Rohan

Jun 25 2011, 3:39pm

Post #11 of 18 (579 views)
Shortcut
Not sure how that would work [In reply to] Can't Post

Frodo doesn't meet up with Bilbo until they are on their way to the Gray Havens; and then Frodo gives the book to Sam before boarding the ship.

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Jun 25 2011, 5:04pm

Post #12 of 18 (568 views)
Shortcut
Before Valinor... [In reply to] Can't Post

The only way Bilbo and Frodo could discuss the book after Return of the King is on the way to the Grey Havens. I think that Elijah Wood has it wrong, he will not have a scene with the Ian Holm. Ian Holm is likely to be seen at the end of the second movie to allow it to flow into Fellowship of the Ring. (read my thoery a few posts up on this thread)

R11
Lorien

Jun 25 2011, 7:00pm

Post #13 of 18 (544 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

The framing doesn't need to be tied to a finished writing of There And Back Again does it? It could easily be centered around a discussion between Bilbo and Frodo regarding Bilbo's writing of the tale, and launching into a recounting the events that would be contained in it for example. Nothing says it's going to be direct reading from The Red Book per se. Like I said before, I don't mind them using the framing to tell the story of the Hobbit in order to give the audience a nod to Ian and Elijah, but I really hope they don't muck up the eventual viewing of the pentalogy by starting and ending the first two movies somewhere inside the last three movies....

ron

(This post was edited by R11 on Jun 25 2011, 7:00pm)

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Jun 25 2011, 7:13pm

Post #14 of 18 (563 views)
Shortcut
There is no pentalogy: [In reply to] Can't Post

There is the Hobbit and there is the Lord of the Rings. They happen to be contained more or less within the same mythical universe. My last concern is the latter day viewings of the two movies and three films. I am sure we will learn to live with the framing of the Hobbit however they have chosen to do it.

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Jun 25 2011, 8:19pm

Post #15 of 18 (551 views)
Shortcut
Stump. And there's more to the story. [In reply to] Can't Post

Elijah is the one who'd played this game before on his own time, and introduced Jimmy to it...and I haven't seen him win a round yet! =)

NARF
NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd
NARF: NWtS Chapter Member since June 17,2011

(This post was edited by Eowyn of Penns Woods on Jun 25 2011, 8:20pm)

namarie
Rohan

Jun 25 2011, 8:28pm

Post #16 of 18 (505 views)
Shortcut
yes that's true :)))) // [In reply to] Can't Post

There is always hope

FarFromHome
Valinor

Jun 25 2011, 9:35pm

Post #17 of 18 (491 views)
Shortcut
I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

it would be more satisfactory to keep the "frame" of The Hobbit outside the timeframe of LotR. I also think it might be a good idea to have Bilbo telling Frodo about what he is planning to write, rather than having him read from the book - it could take place just before the story begins, right before Frodo goes out to wait for Gandalf, leaving Bilbo to start putting pen to paper: "Now, where to begin?"

They went in, and Sam shut the door.
But even as he did so, he heard suddenly,
deep and unstilled,
the sigh and murmur of the Sea upon the shores of Middle-earth.
From the unpublished Epilogue to the Lord of the Rings

R11
Lorien

Jun 26 2011, 12:21am

Post #18 of 18 (673 views)
Shortcut
Sure there is a pentalogy [In reply to] Can't Post

Of course The Hobbit and LOTR are separate works, but to say they just happen to be "more or less" contained in the same universe is pointless. They most definitely are as evidenced by Tolkien making the revisions to The Hobbit to integrate them even more tightly. You are free have as little concern about "latter day viewings" of the pentalogy as you like Kangi, but there are many others who do care Smile. No question most will learn to live with whatever choice is made, but that doesn't mean it will be optimal for everyone. Personally I pretty much expect that the frame will occur within LOTR so I am already prepared to deal with it..... even if it's not right Wink

ron

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.