Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Entertainment Weekly has 3 new photos from 'The Hobbit'
First page Previous page 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next page Last page  View All

RosieLass
Valinor

Jun 23 2011, 9:02pm

Post #176 of 318 (1444 views)
Shortcut
Maybe they think he has enough other outstanding features. [In reply to] Can't Post

Such as a commanding presence and a deep voice, so that a grey beard would just be overkill. Or maybe they're going to set him apart with clothing or jewelry. (Remember his fine silver chain?)

Or perhaps they want Balin to be the "old" dwarf.

It is always those with the fewest sensible things to say who make the loudest noise in saying them. --Precious Ramotswe (Alexander McCall Smith)

RosieLass
Valinor

Jun 23 2011, 9:09pm

Post #177 of 318 (1431 views)
Shortcut
I find myself conflicted. [In reply to] Can't Post

On the one hand, how the characters *look* isn't even in the Top Ten List of things I'm worried about. As long as the character is right, and the performance is right, I'm not going to quibble over a character's appearance. Within reason, of course. I think I might have something to say if, for example, PJ put the dwarves in bright red plastic noses and gunboat shoes with turned up toes. Crazy

On the other hand, the admonition to "Trust Peter" has always gotten up my nose a little bit, because I've seen LOTR and a lot of it sticks in my craw. So I do NOT entirely trust him. Unimpressed And it always ticked the tar out of me to get my head snapped off for presuming to criticize.

I'm not saying that's happening here. That's just what I felt when LOTR came out.

It is always those with the fewest sensible things to say who make the loudest noise in saying them. --Precious Ramotswe (Alexander McCall Smith)

marillaraina
Rohan

Jun 23 2011, 9:12pm

Post #178 of 318 (1431 views)
Shortcut
I always forget the freakin' subject line.... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
So I guess I'd ask - why then couldn't a younger Thorin have steel-colored hair? Make him stand out a little bit more amongst a group of dark-haired dwarves?

We can't even tell whether or not those are some grey streaks in his hair but in either case they aren't all going to be dark haired, one has white hair, the other is bald, there may be a blond.

The picture is very blurry, the room is dimly lit, obviously it's not possible to get a fully accurate idea of the shadings.

I also agree with whoever said above that being grey is not necessarily indicative of age as the men in my family(assuming they don't go bald:)) often don't get more than a little grey at the temples until they are in their 70's and I'm sure everyone knows people are all grey in 30' s or 40's. So even that isn't necessarily a sign post.

With regards to Balin, to me the fact that it was specifically pointed out that Balin was very old looking meant that it was unusual. There was no reason to point out that Balin was very old looking unless he stood out for that reason, imo, including as compared to the older in years Thorin.

Or perhaps they want Balin to be the "old" dwarf.

That's a good point as well, there are probably some specifical "traits" they want to hit, just to set the various characters apart a bit. There will probably be the more comic ones and the more serious ones, the ones with certain physical traits that set them apart and as for Thorin, well he's going to have Richard Armitage's voice, that right there should set him apart pretty well. :D

(This post was edited by marillaraina on Jun 23 2011, 9:17pm)

Darkstone
Immortal

Jun 23 2011, 9:28pm

Post #179 of 318 (1350 views)
Shortcut
Yes indeed. [In reply to] Can't Post

Cannes was the turning point. Prior to that the atmophere among the suits was extremely tense. With various mega-expensive flops (Remember Adam Sandler's "Little Nicky", Kevin Costner's "13 Days", and Warren Beatty's "Town & Country"? Probably not.) New Line seemed doomed, and pink slips were being handed out by the hundreds.

But even after Cannes there was still quite a bit of concern that since the films had all been filmed at once there wasn't time for LOTR to develop as a franchise as had Austin Powers and The Mummy. Ironically of course those two fizzled out while LOTR kept growing.

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.”

marillaraina
Rohan

Jun 23 2011, 9:41pm

Post #180 of 318 (1329 views)
Shortcut
Also... [In reply to] Can't Post

Compared to the other dwarves, Thorin looks a bit out-of-place. The others have exaggerated dwarf-like features, whereas he has more refined and handsome features.

I don't think that seemingly youngish looking elf next to him looks all that exaggerated and he's not exactly ugly IMO(I don't know if he's Kili, as I recall Kili was sitting near the back of the table during that bit of scene set up we saw in that video from way back, but I guess he could be moving around:)) And as for refined, I don't know I actually think he looks pretty creepy myself, maybe not ugly but honestly, imo, he doesn't really look all that handsome BUT he does look kind of "attractive", in a slightly creepy, intense kind of way, and that is something that often goes beyond simple "features" and is sort of innate in the person.

As for Blackbeard well considering all the people who apparently thought Ian McShane would be good I guess one could say he'd have looked much the same so what's the problem if Richard looks that way(and frankly I don't know how you can tell how old he looks given that picture is completely blurry, even the grey haired dwarf looks pretty young IMO, if you ignore the fact that people tend to think "grey = old")

LordMaximus
Rivendell

Jun 23 2011, 9:56pm

Post #181 of 318 (1401 views)
Shortcut
Drogo [In reply to] Can't Post

Thought the exact same thing.

rings7
Rohan

Jun 23 2011, 10:00pm

Post #182 of 318 (1331 views)
Shortcut
I knew it would end up being like that. [In reply to] Can't Post

Somehow i (and i stated before) do see resemblance between the two actors (Armitage and McShane). And my first impression when i saw this particular pic was that Thorin looks like how Ian McShane naturally looks. I don't know if that makes sense.

If that would've been Mcshane, Thorin wouldn't have looked that much different.

(This post was edited by rings7 on Jun 23 2011, 10:02pm)

Sharky
Bree

Jun 23 2011, 10:46pm

Post #183 of 318 (1243 views)
Shortcut
Freeman looks great! [In reply to] Can't Post

Martin Freeman looks great as the young Baggins! Can't wait to see the clips of his performance at some stage...

And here we find you, feasting and... smoking!

Maiarmike
Grey Havens

Jun 23 2011, 11:38pm

Post #184 of 318 (1276 views)
Shortcut
Another thing that caught my eye. [In reply to] Can't Post

The quote about the shoot being over 250 days long, and only 12 days short of LotR shoot. Wow! Shocked That's a ton of filming, not even taking into account the breaks in the schedule, which equals up to probably a year and a half of shooting, plus pick-ups.

"I warn you, if you bore me, I shall take my revenge"
--J.R.R. Tolkien

sphdle1
Gondor

Jun 23 2011, 11:49pm

Post #185 of 318 (1150 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, those feet are huge ... kool! // [In reply to] Can't Post

sphdle1

"You shall not pass!"

Maiarmike
Grey Havens

Jun 24 2011, 12:02am

Post #186 of 318 (1274 views)
Shortcut
There's a bit more in this story in The Daily Mail online. [In reply to] Can't Post

There are a few quotes that aren't on EW's site yet. It mentions in the article that the long film was split in two to "recreate the thousand-plus pages". Thousand+ pages of screenplay is quite a bit, but I can't help but rub my hands greedily in anticipation of all that Middle-Earth. Smile
Have a look.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/...nt-fantasy-film.html

--J.R.R. Tolkien

(This post was edited by Maiarmike on Jun 24 2011, 12:04am)

squire
Half-elven

Jun 24 2011, 12:41am

Post #187 of 318 (1161 views)
Shortcut
That doesn't make any sense [In reply to] Can't Post

Debbie Emery at the Daily Mail seems to be interpreting the Entertainment Weekly article for her readers, and getting a lot of it wrong, systematically confusing The Hobbit with The Lord of the Rings:
The famous book by Tolkien has been split into two films, The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey and The Hobbit: There and Back Again, and the cast and crew endured a mammoth 254 day shoot to recreate the thousand-plus pages. (Daily Mail online, 6/23/11)
Notice the past tense "endured" as if the film's shooting is complete. In the EW article that gives the 254 day figure for the film shoot, Jackson is clearly talking about his reaction to seeing the Hobbit schedule beforehand. And of course, The Hobbit book is about 300 pages long. It is The Lord of the Rings that is about 1000 pages in three volumes, but as Jackson says, the LotR shoot was not 254 days, but 266 days.

One has to wonder how on earth The Hobbit, a book 1/3 the length and complexity of LotR, first becomes a film 2/3 the length of the LotR film, and then requires an almost equal amount of time for filming. I suspect the budget is the answer: when you budget a film at $500 million in expectation of making $2+ billion, you are basically inflating the film and its shooting schedule to justify the budget.

(I don't think the Hobbit screenplays are what is meant, either. The rule of thumb is that a screenplay page is about 1 minute of film, so a 1000-page screenplay would be for 16+ hours of screen time!)

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd (and NOW the 4th too!) TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion; and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

hutch
Rohan

Jun 24 2011, 12:53am

Post #188 of 318 (1149 views)
Shortcut
none of us entirely agree with PJ [In reply to] Can't Post

i am a die hard supporter of PJ in the grand scheme. but anyone who knows me knows i cringe over much of ROTK. but at the end of the day i 'trust' him with the overall approach. i guess that is to say i trust him to do a better job than anyone else. people may argue against it but that's where i stand.

for every nit pick or big beef i have with a decision PJ may've made there are at least 3 sighs of relief for something he handled very well that the average director would've ruined. it's easy to assume someone else would've done better but there's no real way of knowing what they would've done or how they may've made handled the film despite what they may've indicated they would do. things change from inception to execution.

im not criiticizing anyone for disagreeing with PJ...but for me small things like the color of Thorin's hair is not a make-or-break issue for me, but i totally understand where DR. D is coming from and he is correct in his assessment. something like that may show a lapse in PJ's judgment which could snowball. it's possible i'm just saying i doubt it so im not stressin.

lurtz2010
Rohan

Jun 24 2011, 12:54am

Post #189 of 318 (1236 views)
Shortcut
gothic Thorin [In reply to] Can't Post

Very badass looking in my opinion, better than the old man in my head.

hutch
Rohan

Jun 24 2011, 12:59am

Post #190 of 318 (1094 views)
Shortcut
yeah i know [In reply to] Can't Post

i hope PJ isnt pulling another 'King Kong' by over blowing a story that doesnt need it. The only reason im so relaxed is that i love his vision of ME and always complain about the lack of time we can spend seeing it. so im hoping that all the extra in TH is something i'll actually enjoy. im pretty sure it will be.

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Jun 24 2011, 1:16am

Post #191 of 318 (1095 views)
Shortcut
King Kong didn't need to be that long... [In reply to] Can't Post

but I still loved it overall. I'd rather have a movie be too long than too short. Too many movies these days feel rushed and chopped up to keep people in the theaters.

I think there's definitely more to flesh out in the Hobbit than there was in King Kong, so I don't think the length should be too much of an issue. At least I hope not...

Maiarmike
Grey Havens

Jun 24 2011, 1:31am

Post #192 of 318 (1058 views)
Shortcut
I don't think it will either, but... [In reply to] Can't Post

...I'm curious to see how they plan on showing the whole film in IMAX theaters, since their reels only allow for something like 2 hours and 40 minutes. Unless it's expanded, PJ is going to have to cut down his theatrical versions as he did with LotR quite a bit. Even theatrical FotR wouldn't be able to finish in IMAX, let alone the EE.

--J.R.R. Tolkien

hutch
Rohan

Jun 24 2011, 1:35am

Post #193 of 318 (1071 views)
Shortcut
indeed [In reply to] Can't Post

i agree. there is def. more to flesh out in TH which is why im not too worried about it all. but i remember scratching my head over the casting of KK. i was like 'how many characters are in the film?'

Ruijor
Rohan

Jun 24 2011, 2:10am

Post #194 of 318 (1105 views)
Shortcut
Truly excited and not worried by now [In reply to] Can't Post

I was expecting a little bit more older look for Martin, he does seem a little boyish but Iīll reserve my final judgement when I see him on live footage. About Thorin... so much has been said by now and I agree heīs far from being a spot on Thorin Oakenshield.

I never was to keen for Armitage playing Thorin, he should have been Bard from my point of view but hey, now heīs Thorin so I still hope that choice can continue to grow on me despite of how awful he looks in this picture. There is a long way ahead to correct and perfect the prosthetics, costumes and overall design of the films so with that said I trust that Peter will deliver us a great adventure.

Oh and a word for our old Mithrandir: you havenīt aged a day old friend! Wink

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Jun 24 2011, 2:51am

Post #195 of 318 (999 views)
Shortcut
Is the time limit true with digital projection? [In reply to] Can't Post

I assume there will be very few prints of the two Hobbit Movies.

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Jun 24 2011, 2:52am

Post #196 of 318 (1033 views)
Shortcut
You have an old man in your head. [In reply to] Can't Post

Strange, so do I. Evil

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 24 2011, 3:00am

Post #197 of 318 (1024 views)
Shortcut
*compares to Hildebrandt Bilbo* [In reply to] Can't Post

Seeing Martin as Bilbo immediately brought the Hildebrandt's painting of Gandalf visiting Bag End to mind:

http://img-fan.theonering.net/...ndt/gandalfvisit.jpg

The ears are pointed in a different direction, but the resemblance is there!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

Maiarmike
Grey Havens

Jun 24 2011, 3:15am

Post #198 of 318 (1033 views)
Shortcut
"...despite of how awesome he looks in this picture". [In reply to] Can't Post

Fixed it for ya. Tongue

--J.R.R. Tolkien

mykonos
Bree

Jun 24 2011, 3:35am

Post #199 of 318 (980 views)
Shortcut
hahaha that's how I read it ;) // [In reply to] Can't Post

The Grey Wanderer
Lorien

Jun 24 2011, 4:17am

Post #200 of 318 (998 views)
Shortcut
Actually, no - at least in the general descriptions at the begining of either book [In reply to] Can't Post

natural leathey soles and thick warm brown hair like the stuff on their heads (which is curly)

from the Hobbit; the Felowship prologue is very similar in discussion, though it says "commonly brown" with respect to hair; nothing about foot size in either description. Though Mr. Proudfoot's were described as large...

Perhaps elsewhere there is a passing comment that their feet are large, but I doubt it. Even when Aragorn is tracking Merry and Pippin, their prints are just described as hobbit-prints, one smaller than the other.

Beyond that, I suspect Tolkien just left it to our imaginations. If anyone wants to assume large feet, that is fine. Me? I never thought about it...not very imaginative, I guess...

First page Previous page 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.