Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Entertainment Weekly has 3 new photos from 'The Hobbit'
First page Previous page 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 13 Next page Last page  View All

DrDeath153
Lorien

Jun 23 2011, 8:02pm

Post #151 of 318 (2258 views)
Shortcut
On the other hand [In reply to] Can't Post

Imagine what would have happened if PJ didn't listen to the cries of fans about Xenarwen? If everyone just said 'faith in PJ' and let him get on with it. It's a two way street.

Dr Death

Darkstone
Immortal

Jun 23 2011, 8:04pm

Post #152 of 318 (2216 views)
Shortcut
Actually... [In reply to] Can't Post

...it was Jackson listening to Liv Tyler and Fran Walsh.

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.”

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 23 2011, 8:07pm

Post #153 of 318 (2209 views)
Shortcut
Yes - by the time [In reply to] Can't Post

the fans heard about Arwen at Helm's Deep, the decision had been made.

hutch
Rohan

Jun 23 2011, 8:09pm

Post #154 of 318 (2250 views)
Shortcut
i feel your pain [In reply to] Can't Post

but i always assumed they do that to Thorin as the 'leading man' so it doesnt bother me much. they also probably want more distinctive cosmetic separation for each of the dwarves for non-readers' sake. i dunno. it just doesnt bother me too much. they look pretty good from what i can see.

hutch
Rohan

Jun 23 2011, 8:11pm

Post #155 of 318 (2256 views)
Shortcut
part of 'having faith in PJ' [In reply to] Can't Post

is letting him explore his options and making the right decision in the end. that's what happens in the creative process. doesnt always turn out well, but for the most part he's on point.

(This post was edited by hutch on Jun 23 2011, 8:12pm)

Maiarmike
Grey Havens

Jun 23 2011, 8:16pm

Post #156 of 318 (2179 views)
Shortcut
These look fantastic! [In reply to] Can't Post

Bilbo looks great, pretty much as I imagined him, without his red coat of course, which will be seen later. Gandalf, ah Gandalf, looks exactly the same. From what I can see, the dwarves all look different and have different amounts of makeup and prosthesis, that's a very good sign. Glad they're allowing the actors to act this time around by not burdening them with overdone makeup and prosthesis. Thorin looks great to me, strong features, and dark clothing. Can't wait to see the rest of the article! Forgot to mention the dwarf to the left that's bald! That's amazing! It looks just like that famous painting with the dwarves. Hopefully we see some other dwarves with jewelry as well on their beard and hair.

"I warn you, if you bore me, I shall take my revenge"
--J.R.R. Tolkien

(This post was edited by Maiarmike on Jun 23 2011, 8:21pm)

rings7
Rohan

Jun 23 2011, 8:17pm

Post #157 of 318 (2201 views)
Shortcut
LOL [In reply to] Can't Post

My bro actually said that Richard looks like a good Thorin with botox. Laugh

hutch
Rohan

Jun 23 2011, 8:18pm

Post #158 of 318 (2189 views)
Shortcut
also dont forget [In reply to] Can't Post

sometimes filmmakers play with the fans. i remember seeing pics of 'Rorschach' from 'Watchmen' without red hair but in the film he had his signature Gingerness. They just didnt want to give it away before people saw the film so they doctored the press release photos. it's a long shot in this case, but, hey, it's been known to happen. have faith. you will enjoy yourself heartily im betting...

ShireHorse
Rohan

Jun 23 2011, 8:20pm

Post #159 of 318 (2203 views)
Shortcut
Sigh...... [In reply to] Can't Post

Ian McShane is an old man but he is always cast with black hair. How is it OK for him to have black hair but Thorin not, Dr D? Presumably, if McShane had been cast as Thorin you would have accepted his black hair. I really do wish, for your own enjoyment, you could accept this casting. If you can't, then I have only one solution: you go and see McShane in Snow White and I'll go and see Richard Armitage in The Hobbit.

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Jun 23 2011, 8:27pm

Post #160 of 318 (2238 views)
Shortcut
Thorin's Hair Color [In reply to] Can't Post

Thorin;s hair color was not mentioned but Ballin's was. Balin was described as "a very old-looking dwarf", with white hair and a long white beard. I guess because Balin was younger than Thorin I always assumed that Thorin would be gray too.

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Jun 23 2011, 8:29pm

Post #161 of 318 (2162 views)
Shortcut
Balin is younger.// [In reply to] Can't Post

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

mendil
Rivendell

Jun 23 2011, 8:33pm

Post #162 of 318 (2189 views)
Shortcut
You can just make out a female woodland elf serving beer on the upper left ... [In reply to] Can't Post

(Pics are awesome! But that's been said, no?)

"... But of bliss and glad life there is little to be said, before it ends; as works fair and wonderful, while still they endure for eyes to see, are their own record, and only when they are in peril or broken for ever do they pass into song."

Patty
Immortal

Jun 23 2011, 8:34pm

Post #163 of 318 (2152 views)
Shortcut
LoL, Dr. Death! *mods up*. [In reply to] Can't Post

what a sense of humor TORnFolk have.

Permanent address: Into the West

RosieLass
Valinor

Jun 23 2011, 8:36pm

Post #164 of 318 (2161 views)
Shortcut
I never thought about it one or or the other. [In reply to] Can't Post

To be honest, when I'm reading, I don't picture faces and details anyway. Maybe I'm just weird, but my mental images of most book characters are just shadowy humanoids (or whatever-oids they happen to be...).

With an occasional exception, if the author makes a point of it, such as a large handlebar mustache on Poirot or something.

Therefore, the fact that Tolkien specifies that Balin is a "very old looking dwarf" suggests to me that it's a detail that sets him apart from the others. And thus, Thorin is not necessarily old looking.

In any case, looks can be deceiving. My own father, before he began getting physical frail, looked a good 20 years younger than his actual age.

It is always those with the fewest sensible things to say who make the loudest noise in saying them. --Precious Ramotswe (Alexander McCall Smith)

(This post was edited by RosieLass on Jun 23 2011, 8:37pm)

Patty
Immortal

Jun 23 2011, 8:36pm

Post #165 of 318 (2200 views)
Shortcut
I must have heard a different version.. [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought the bit at Cannes was loved, and that was what sold suits that this was gonna be great.

Must be another of the many cases of Patty's memory going down the tank.

Permanent address: Into the West

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Jun 23 2011, 8:42pm

Post #166 of 318 (2151 views)
Shortcut
As far as i remember the footage they showed at Cannes was very well received... [In reply to] Can't Post

... and was responsible for the great early buzz.

In Reply To
I remember New Line similarly panicking, with executives actually getting in at fist fight after the 15 minute segment of FOTR shown at Cannes (The Moria fight scene). As a result Shaye sold off about 90% of various rights of the films (and bragged about it) in order to minimize his losses from what was then known as "New Line's Folly". Most of Hollywood was pretty sure New Line was going to go bankrupt. Imagine if Shaye had listened to the fans who said Blanchett was too ugly, or McKellen was too closely associated with his Magneto role.

Rufus
Bree

Jun 23 2011, 8:43pm

Post #167 of 318 (2174 views)
Shortcut
But that is not true [In reply to] Can't Post

My ex was completely grey at 26 my dad barely had a grey hair at 76 when he died. Hair colour has no baring on age.

Maiarmike
Grey Havens

Jun 23 2011, 8:45pm

Post #168 of 318 (2172 views)
Shortcut
I agree with whoever mentioned Ian McShane's age and hair. [In reply to] Can't Post

Same with Al Pacino. Those two guys are in their 60's/70's and still have a head of dark hair, and probably always will.

"I warn you, if you bore me, I shall take my revenge"
--J.R.R. Tolkien

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Jun 23 2011, 8:46pm

Post #169 of 318 (2103 views)
Shortcut
No, your memory is fine. :) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Finrod
Rohan

Jun 23 2011, 8:48pm

Post #170 of 318 (2168 views)
Shortcut
Bingo on the feet [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I think the big ears are so distinctive, like something from a painting. Also, as for the feet being bigger, I am down with that. I found in LOTR that the feet didn't stand out as being big that much, also they always needed to be hairier to be more like what the book described..

You’re right about the movies getting the poor Hobbits’ feet completely wrong. They are not supposed to be immensely oversized, for one thing. And for another, they are just supposed to have hair on their feet’s tops that is just like the hair on their heads, so that they don’t get too cold when walking around unshod — which they didn’t always do, of course, just preferred to.

The Hobbit feet in the movies are kinda gross, actually. They’re a parody at worst and a misunderstanding at best. They are like duck-sized and -shaped, and the thin and straggly foot-hair looks much too much like the hair on Peter’s own feet, if you think about it.

Getting the Hobbits’ feet right is hardly a tremendously subtle point, so I’ve never understood how Peter and Company could have gotten them so very wrong, which they’ve clearly done. Of course, Peter daren’t change them now, but they are not what the books say they should be.

…all eyes looked upon the ring; for he held it now aloft, and the green jewels gleamed there that the Noldor had devised in Valinor. For this ring was like to twin serpents, whose eyes were emeralds, and their heads met beneath a crown of golden flowers, that the one upheld and the other devoured; that was the badge of Finarfin and his house.
The Silmarillion, pp 150-151
while Felagund laughs beneath the trees
in Valinor and comes no more
to this grey world of tears and war.
The Lays of Beleriand, p 311

duats
Grey Havens

Jun 23 2011, 8:49pm

Post #171 of 318 (2107 views)
Shortcut
True [In reply to] Can't Post

So I guess I'd ask - why then couldn't a younger Thorin have steel-colored hair? Make him stand out a little bit more amongst a group of dark-haired dwarves?

FarFromHome
Valinor

Jun 23 2011, 8:52pm

Post #172 of 318 (2111 views)
Shortcut
I suppose even suits [In reply to] Can't Post

must have figured out by now that the more extreme of the fans don't represent the silent (or at least, less vocal) majority. PJ clearly knows what resonates with the larger audience that the suits need to get into those cinema seats.

Right now, the more rigidly literal of the fans are still trying to crowbar the images they see into the characters they know from the book. But once the movies come out, the characters will take on lives of their own, separate from the ones in the book. The look will suit those characters, so that after a while, as you say, everyone will be quite convinced that they were "perfect" all along...

They went in, and Sam shut the door.
But even as he did so, he heard suddenly,
deep and unstilled,
the sigh and murmur of the Sea upon the shores of Middle-earth.
From the unpublished Epilogue to the Lord of the Rings

Rufus
Bree

Jun 23 2011, 8:55pm

Post #173 of 318 (2103 views)
Shortcut
sorry [In reply to] Can't Post

This post is kind of condescending. Just because people may not have read every world published about middle earth doesn't make their opinion is less valid. I have read this book and reread it. Between the lines as well. If I'm truthful I still view it as childrens book a good one but not some epic piece of litreature. I think a lot of the action scenes could have been expanded and I hope PJ does that.

Thorin by Dwarf years is middle aged so is Armitage. He certain does not look young or handsome or as if he has botox in that blurred image.

Dr Death you want Armitage sacked if the same fashion as Stuart Townsend and I find that sad.

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Jun 23 2011, 8:56pm

Post #174 of 318 (2068 views)
Shortcut
That and most have learned how [In reply to] Can't Post

to read the Interwebs since LOTR; what to ignore, what to pay attention to...

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Jun 23 2011, 8:58pm

Post #175 of 318 (2150 views)
Shortcut
The book describes hobbit feet as oversized, does it not? [In reply to] Can't Post

What does it exactly say about that matter? You seem to love quoting whole passages. Wink It's a while since i've read it...

They look appropriately hairy to me.

(This post was edited by Estel78 on Jun 23 2011, 9:05pm)

First page Previous page 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 13 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.