Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Entertainment Weekly has 3 new photos from 'The Hobbit'
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 13 Next page Last page  View All

Flagg
Tol Eressea

Jun 23 2011, 6:38pm

Post #126 of 318 (2247 views)
Shortcut
Tolkien's own drawing of Bilbo looks thin enough to me. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Bound
Rohan

Jun 23 2011, 6:42pm

Post #127 of 318 (2225 views)
Shortcut
I don't know... [In reply to] Can't Post

I think he's got a little pot belly - as i imagine all the other hobbit are supposed to have

http://hilobrow.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/tolkien-bag-end.jpg

That being said, in terms of the films, i prefer the skinny hobbit look.

The man in black fled across the desert and the gunslinger followed

Pipe Dream
Gondor

Jun 23 2011, 6:43pm

Post #128 of 318 (2279 views)
Shortcut
The real difference is, it looks like they went... [In reply to] Can't Post

for an all out younger Bilbo, no gray at all.

"There is a long road yet," said Gandalf. "But it is the last road," said Bilbo.

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Jun 23 2011, 6:48pm

Post #129 of 318 (2215 views)
Shortcut
Perhaps Donato Giancola has secretly joined the art team? // [In reply to] Can't Post

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Jun 23 2011, 6:49pm

Post #130 of 318 (2227 views)
Shortcut
Freeman as Bilbo has as a little pot belly as well, hasn't he? [In reply to] Can't Post

At least it looks like that to me. He seems to have a little more meat around his belly area. Skinny looks different. Smile

Rufus
Bree

Jun 23 2011, 6:50pm

Post #131 of 318 (2255 views)
Shortcut
Thorin [In reply to] Can't Post

I am re reading the hobbit mainly because I am trying to see where Dr Death is coming from. The problem is I can't see where he is coming from. Where in the book does it actually describe Thorin's features in detail? It doesn't so any intepretation of Thorin is just that an intepretation. You can't say he is not Tolkein's inteoretation because the book doesn't give us those details.

His character and deeds are noted and from what little I can see he fits the bill. Proud noble arogant tough and fearless.

Martin looks like Martin

Bound
Rohan

Jun 23 2011, 6:51pm

Post #132 of 318 (2260 views)
Shortcut
He's thinner than... [In reply to] Can't Post

I used to imagine him in the book...

But again i stress that his look doesn't bother me at all...

The man in black fled across the desert and the gunslinger followed

pacochoa
Bree

Jun 23 2011, 6:52pm

Post #133 of 318 (2235 views)
Shortcut
HDR Photography [In reply to] Can't Post

The first image with Bilbo and the dwareves appears to be using HDR phography.
This is a technique where multiple bracketed images are taken simultaneously, then merged into one image.
It can create a surreal look.

Any photography geeks out there that can confirm this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/...ynamic_range_imaging

p.s. I think the first Hobbit promotion pics of PJ sitting bag End also used HDR.

Darkstone
Immortal

Jun 23 2011, 7:01pm

Post #134 of 318 (2227 views)
Shortcut
The same thing happened with the trilogy. [In reply to] Can't Post

Every time a snippet of information such as a photo was released people would get all doom-and-gloom hysterical about it. It got old really fast.

And just like with the trilogy, five years from now people will be saying Martin Freeman's makeup, feet, ears, and all, was absolutely "perfect".

*sigh*

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.”

Jettorex
Lorien

Jun 23 2011, 7:10pm

Post #135 of 318 (2226 views)
Shortcut
woah!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

His ears look waaaaaay too big to me. It looks like a mules ear, or a goats, or kind of like the faun from Narnia. Hope they tone it down for the movie.

Big feet are fine, Thorin, dwarves look great!
And Gandalf....Ahhh Gandalf : )

- "I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

(This post was edited by Jettorex on Jun 23 2011, 7:12pm)

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Jun 23 2011, 7:16pm

Post #136 of 318 (2113 views)
Shortcut
Probably because people tend to focus more on such things in a still image. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Jun 23 2011, 7:16pm

Post #137 of 318 (2202 views)
Shortcut
He's old and has a blue cloak. [In reply to] Can't Post

That's basically all we're told. He's either the oldest of the dwarves or the second oldest after Balin. Giving him dark hair is what seems kind of strange, not that many of us are surprised by that decision.

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 23 2011, 7:20pm

Post #138 of 318 (2145 views)
Shortcut
Hang in there, Darkstone. [In reply to] Can't Post

It's the first stage in the process of acceptance, you know.

You begin with a mental image you created while reading the books. Then the first image you see which resembles someone else's mental image is a bit of a shock and causes panic. Then the more you see of it, the more you adjust, and by the time people have seen the movies 10 times, all but the most inconsolable will have made their peace with it in one way or another. By the time the DVDs come out, we will be well on our way to perfection...

But I prefer to skip most of the steps and say I like it now. These movies were never going to be exactly like the one in my head. LOTR wasn't, though a few scenes came awfully close. The differences didn't stop me reveling in LOTR and they won't make a dent in my enjoyment of The Hobbit. I don't need "Perfect", I can live very happily with "Very Good to Excellent", which is what I think we'll be getting. Cool

Silverlode

"Of all faces those of our familiares are the ones both most difficult to play fantastic tricks with, and most difficult really to see with fresh attention. They have become like the things which once attracted us by their glitter, or their colour, or their shape, and we laid hands on them, and then locked them in our hoard, acquired them, and acquiring ceased to look at them.
Creative fantasy, because it is mainly trying to do something else [make something new], may open your hoard and let all the locked things fly away like cage-birds. The gems all turn into flowers or flames, and you will be warned that all you had (or knew) was dangerous and potent, not really effectively chained, free and wild; no more yours than they were you."
-On Fairy Stories

Mad Hatter of Middle-Earth
Lorien

Jun 23 2011, 7:24pm

Post #139 of 318 (2115 views)
Shortcut
Now we just have to wait for the first trailer! :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

Who wants to see an official pic of the white council? I know I do!

All you have to decide is what to do with the time that has been given to you...

duats
Grey Havens

Jun 23 2011, 7:30pm

Post #140 of 318 (2137 views)
Shortcut
Wow [In reply to] Can't Post

Now that is a hobbit if I've ever seen one. The larger ears and feet, in my honest opinion, are a big improvement over what we saw in LoTR. I am completely on board with that change, and do not mind the slight incontinuity. Freeman looks flawless. It would've been nice seeing him in a waist coat, but I'm sure we will in good time. So I'm not going to fret over that minor detail.

Gandalf the Grey is also perfect. There is nothing to be said. All we can do is bask in the glory that is Ian McKellen.

From the few I'm seeing, I am very satisfied with the dwarves. Diverse facial structures and unique hair styles. The two on the left are probably Bofur and Bifur. Going by the face, I'm guessing the white-haired one is Nori. I'm drawing a complete blank on the dwarf on the right.

Now onto Thorin...

I've been one of the big advocates for an older Thorin. Those familiar with my posts know my reasoning, so they need not be repeated. I was concerned that they would simply take Armitage and slap a black wig and beard on him. Which is what they seem to have done. Honestly, the comparison to Ian McShane's Blackbeard is almost uncanny. It just looks like a younger version.

Compared to the other dwarves, Thorin looks a bit out-of-place. The others have exaggerated dwarf-like features, whereas he has more refined and handsome features. In short, he looks like an attractive man with a beard and pointy ears. And while I'm just going to have to reconcile with the fact that we are getting a more youthful characterization of Thorin (for reasons that await to be seen), I would have at least liked to see him with steel-colored hair. Just something to show that he was starting to get up there in years. The black hair doesn't kill it for me, but it also does nothing for me. All it does is make him blend in with the others - which disappoints me a bit.

Nitpicks aside, this was just wonderful to come home to.

(This post was edited by duats on Jun 23 2011, 7:34pm)

rings7
Rohan

Jun 23 2011, 7:31pm

Post #141 of 318 (2112 views)
Shortcut
Martin without any make up [In reply to] Can't Post

or prosthetic already looks like a hobbit himself.

And i remember ages ago someone said Legolas wasn't even blond. How do they get the descriptions? cause i don't remember them either.

So far i'm happy with what i've seen. A little more gray on Thorin but it's not a huge deal.

rings7
Rohan

Jun 23 2011, 7:39pm

Post #142 of 318 (2111 views)
Shortcut
Two things [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm betting the one on the right in the pic is Kili. I see some Aidan Turner there.

Another thing is that you might find ironic that Ian McShane was just cast as a dwarf in the upcoming Snow White film.

mykonos
Bree

Jun 23 2011, 7:42pm

Post #143 of 318 (2073 views)
Shortcut
It's kinda blurry... [In reply to] Can't Post

So I'll wait for more clear photos to make judgments on what the dwarves look like. Thorin is the only one you can really actually sorta make out, the rest are farther away and way more blurry than Thorin already is.

I'd rather even wait to see the film before making judgments ;) Or at least the trailer to see them in action.

duats
Grey Havens

Jun 23 2011, 7:42pm

Post #144 of 318 (2071 views)
Shortcut
I don't know [In reply to] Can't Post

Unless they changed it from the rehearsal, Kili is sitting at the opposite end of the table next to Bombur.

DrDeath153
Lorien

Jun 23 2011, 7:44pm

Post #145 of 318 (2086 views)
Shortcut
It's the stuff you get from reading around the character [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll be honest, Tolkien doesn't give a proper physical description of Thorin apart from the detail of his hood. But Tolkien does provide us with facts about him and a solid impression of him. We know for instance that he is the most senior of the dwarves both in terms of social rank and age. Balin is said to look 'old' and have white hair and yet he's something like 20 years younger than Thorin, so it makes sense that Thorin, even at his best preserved would be at least graying. The significance of his absolute age and the comparison to the effects of aging on Balin is if you like the cornerstone of my argument in terms of the physical depiction of Thorin, but as much of my desire for an older Thorin is to do with the impression of him as it is to do with actual amount of detail Tolkien provides on his physical description (which lets face it, even at the best of times isn't exactly comprehensive).

It's the kind of clues you get by reading between the lines and it seems to be fairly universal since while people may support the notion of a younger Thorin now it's on the cards, it never really occurred to anyone before it was announced. There wasn't a single 'perfect cast' list i read that had anyone under 50 as Thorin, let alone someone under 40. The clues are there in the disapproving fatherly way he acts towards Bilbo, the way he mirrors Bilbo in being at a turning point in his life, his circumstances at the point he decided to follow Gandalf's hairbrained scheme (195, heirless, lost for ideas and running out of time), the way he assumes authority and refuses to take advice from anyone, the old fashioned attitudes he represents and espouses- the clues are everywhere seeping through in the fabric of the character but you have to have your eyes open if you are to see them and so frankly those who have come on here today and said 'well i reread The Hobbit and didn't see where it said Thorin is old' are kind of like the same people who say there's no sex in Jane Austen, willfully taking the book just on face value rather than acknowledging the value of the effect the author creates and the suggestive clues they place to guide you in building your mental images.

Dr Death

DrDeath153
Lorien

Jun 23 2011, 7:47pm

Post #146 of 318 (2103 views)
Shortcut
Ironic or telling? [In reply to] Can't Post

God forbid i should have to edit in footage of Snow White to get a Thorin that works Wink

Dr Death

Darkstone
Immortal

Jun 23 2011, 7:49pm

Post #147 of 318 (2080 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, it's just... [In reply to] Can't Post

...I can just picture some suit going "Holy Napkins! The fans are hate this and they know best! Maybe we better step in and over-rule Jackson and fix this thing! After all, there is $500 million on the line! At least put a lid on all production images until the film is released so we get at least some opening day audience before it tanks!!'

I remember New Line similarly panicking, with executives actually getting in at fist fight after the 15 minute segment of FOTR shown at Cannes (The Moria fight scene). As a result Shaye sold off about 90% of various rights of the films (and bragged about it) in order to minimize his losses from what was then known as "New Line's Folly". Most of Hollywood was pretty sure New Line was going to go bankrupt. Imagine if Shaye had listened to the fans who said Blanchett was too ugly, or McKellen was too closely associated with his Magneto role.

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.”

(This post was edited by Darkstone on Jun 23 2011, 7:51pm)

DrDeath153
Lorien

Jun 23 2011, 7:52pm

Post #148 of 318 (2148 views)
Shortcut
"Honestly that picture there of Thorin kind of creeps me out a little...He looks fierce and strong, intense." [In reply to] Can't Post

That'll be the botox. Tongue

Dr Death

hutch
Rohan

Jun 23 2011, 7:58pm

Post #149 of 318 (2211 views)
Shortcut
you guys have some good eyes [In reply to] Can't Post

all i can really make out is an intentionally blurry pick, but Thorin does clearly look like one of the young Dwarves but he doesnt look bad at all to me. the one next to him is clearly the Aidan Turner as Kili. Other than that i cannot tell who is who.

gilgalad80
The Shire

Jun 23 2011, 7:59pm

Post #150 of 318 (2060 views)
Shortcut
Absolute perfection! [In reply to] Can't Post

Wow.. I really missed Gandalf the Grey. He hasn't aged a day.

The casting is sublime for these films.. Martin Freeman looks like he just popped out of the book.

Love the mysterious lighting in the room with the dwarves in the background. They also look perfect and very distinctive..

C'mon 2012 get here fast!! Can't wait for the extended edition (2013 Crazy).. I totally geek out on the extended editions.Smile

(This post was edited by gilgalad80 on Jun 23 2011, 8:02pm)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 13 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.