Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Entertainment Weekly has 3 new photos from 'The Hobbit'
First page Previous page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next page Last page  View All

librarygirl

Jun 25 2011, 10:26pm

Post #301 of 318 (1874 views)
Shortcut
Oops, thanks [In reply to] Can't Post

I think I fixed my link now?

taekotemple
Grey Havens

Jun 25 2011, 10:41pm

Post #302 of 318 (1872 views)
Shortcut
That one worked perfectly! [In reply to] Can't Post

Nice looking site, btw!

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jun 26 2011, 2:43am

Post #303 of 318 (1912 views)
Shortcut
I got in the Site, the second Time TOO! [In reply to] Can't Post

I Zoomed in to read to sidebar copyand the article....Way cool to know PJ kept BagEnd! and turned into a GuestHouse on a farm he & Fran own! "So someone could sleep in BagEnd...Wowie!!!I I'd so love BagEnd I'd pay much to sleep over there!

Also, PJ's line about how "he would be talking Sir Ian and turn away and look back and SEE Gandalf! How wonderful is that?"
Thanks so much for the Link
Great fun....Library...

titanium_hobbit
Rohan

Jun 26 2011, 4:05am

Post #304 of 318 (1816 views)
Shortcut
hi and welcome! [In reply to] Can't Post

Welcome!

I'd just like to warn you that some around here aren't keen on the term "prequel movies" - as The Hobbit was written first. :) Call them "the hobbit movies" or something instead. :)

Hobbit firster, Book firster.

titanium_hobbit
Rohan

Jun 26 2011, 4:08am

Post #305 of 318 (1809 views)
Shortcut
tolkein on rabbit hobbits [In reply to] Can't Post

Lifted from Wikipedia, but it's an actual Tolkein quote:

I picture a fairly human figure, not a kind of 'fairy' rabbit as some of my British reviewers seem to fancy: fattish in the stomach, shortish in the leg. A round, jovial face; ears only slightly pointed and 'elvish'; hair short and curling (brown). The feet from the ankles down, covered with brown hairy fur. Clothing: green velvet breeches; red or yellow waistcoat; brown or green jacket; gold (or brass) buttons; a dark green hood and cloak (belonging to a dwarf).

titanium_hobbit
Rohan

Jun 26 2011, 4:35am

Post #306 of 318 (1805 views)
Shortcut
there's some more good reading here [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.minastirith.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=print_topic;f=3;t=000197

has some quotes from Tolkein's letters about hobbits and rabbits,

how "descendent of rats" and "rabbit" are insults by Thorin and the trolls, and how Beorn calls Bilbo "little bunny".

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Jun 26 2011, 5:15am

Post #307 of 318 (1804 views)
Shortcut
Makes me think of Gelflings! [In reply to] Can't Post

Tongue

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Jun 26 2011, 5:19am

Post #308 of 318 (1786 views)
Shortcut
He continued the trend. [In reply to] Can't Post

Jules Bass and Arthur Rankin Jr. beat him to it.

kiwifan
Rohan

Jun 26 2011, 11:08am

Post #309 of 318 (1761 views)
Shortcut
i was just kidding you, Dr Death [In reply to] Can't Post

couldn't resist pulling your leg a little as your posts on the whole are so well written that this little slip was rather noticeable. Thanks for adding a new word to my vocabulary! Smile

Actually, you might make that two words --- what does 'feh' mean? I haven't been back in England for a visit for almost eight years now and am absolutely not up to date on colloquialisms, abbreviations, etc. --- if you would be so kind as to explain that to poor ignorant little me. Or is it TORn speak? Although after six weeks or so I feel I've been among you all forever, there's still a lot to learn...

'Goodness gracious, you really are a messie!' 'Oh no, I'm not, these are all just mathoms...'

DrDeath153
Lorien

Jun 26 2011, 11:23am

Post #310 of 318 (1740 views)
Shortcut
Kind of mock jewish [In reply to] Can't Post

Expression of indifference. I'm not sure if it's proper jewish like Oy Vey (not being Jewish myself i'm not in a position to answer that with any accuracy), but i kind of like the slightly offensive sound to it- it does have a whiff of a disgruntled 'f*** it' that you don't get with 'meh' or 'heh'.

Dr Death

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Jun 26 2011, 3:34pm

Post #311 of 318 (1718 views)
Shortcut
The Dark Crystal had a big effect on me as a kid. :) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Jun 26 2011, 5:01pm

Post #312 of 318 (1724 views)
Shortcut
R&B Hobbit & Bakshi's LotR [In reply to] Can't Post

The short squat bodies in R&B Hobbit de-emphasize the feet of the characters. The slimmer bodies of Bakshi's Hobbits really makes the feet pop out. I think this might have been influenced by the cartooning of The Beatles' Yellow Submarine in 1968. By the way I doubt that R&B Hobbit (1977) had any influence on Bakshi's Lord of the Rings (1978) as Bakshis film had been in extended production.

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

namarie
Rohan

Jun 27 2011, 1:57pm

Post #313 of 318 (1633 views)
Shortcut
Thank you so much for the scans :) [In reply to] Can't Post

The look on Martin's face reading that contract is precious. Every time I see it, it makes me laugh :)

There is always hope

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 27 2011, 2:50pm

Post #314 of 318 (1640 views)
Shortcut
True... [In reply to] Can't Post

the length does seems curious, but I guess that depend on how much back-story, build-up, execution and follow-up they do to the White Council/Dol Guldur expansion. I get the feeling we'll see more of Lake-town and Thranduil'ls caves, too.

sample sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 27 2011, 2:58pm

Post #315 of 318 (1634 views)
Shortcut
Looking closer [In reply to] Can't Post

I think you're right about the staff... and I like that there's another one just for The Hobbit... but I hope it's also a pipe-holder ;) I can also tell that it's his bag/pouch laying against his legs where he's nestled into a tree root. You can see the seam along the edge of the material.

GREAT pics, stormcrow20! Thanks for putting this together! :D

sample sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

Unused Scenes

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 27 2011, 4:54pm

Post #316 of 318 (1630 views)
Shortcut
Now that we have some official pics [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm going to really start working on The Hobbit Geeky Observation List based on these pics!

sample sample

Unused Scenes

trol

Jun 27 2011, 8:25pm

Post #317 of 318 (1591 views)
Shortcut
analyses of the dwarves [In reply to] Can't Post

The first dwarve I recognised apart from Thorin was ''nr7'': this is clearly the head shape of Graham McTvish, Dwalin,.......am I the only one?

Nazger
The Shire

Jun 28 2011, 1:54am

Post #318 of 318 (3000 views)
Shortcut
Hmm [In reply to] Can't Post

No major complaints about Bilbo, though he is nothing like how I pictured him (not fat enough).
What's up with the ears and feet? Look pretty absurd in these pictures. But we'll see how they look in the finished film.

First page Previous page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.