Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Just who is Tauriel? Let the Speculation Begin!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next page Last page  View All

Morthoron
Gondor

Jun 21 2011, 10:14pm

Post #176 of 194 (2972 views)
Shortcut
Ah, Product tie-ins! [In reply to] Can't Post

Since PJ's going to add nonessential plot and characters, he should introduce commercial tie-ins and product placement as well! Why not go completely commercial and vacuous.

Your mention of baking cookies in a tree naturally brings to mind the Keebler Elves, doughy cousins of the Noldor. It's not so half-baked as it seems, just replace that useless lembas with chocolate chip cookies!

And speaking of blueberry tarts, there's a Smurf movie coming to theaters! Another lucrative tie-in would be a love interest with Smurfette and Bilbo! It would be smurfalicious! You get another younger demographic as well as the nostalgia for adults who watched Papa Smurf battle Gargamel in their youth! In fact, Gargamel is the Necromancer!

Oh, how the mind races!

Please visit my new blog...The Dark Elf File...a slighty skewed journal of music and literary comment, fan-fiction and interminable essays.

Maiarmike
Grey Havens

Jun 21 2011, 10:36pm

Post #177 of 194 (2967 views)
Shortcut
:-) [In reply to] Can't Post

"I warn you, if you bore me, I shall take my revenge"
--J.R.R. Tolkien

Morthoron
Gondor

Jun 21 2011, 10:44pm

Post #178 of 194 (2968 views)
Shortcut
That's a nice pair...ummm...pear [In reply to] Can't Post

Please visit my new blog...The Dark Elf File...a slighty skewed journal of music and literary comment, fan-fiction and interminable essays.

Maiarmike
Grey Havens

Jun 21 2011, 10:47pm

Post #179 of 194 (2958 views)
Shortcut
I know, isn't he lovely? [In reply to] Can't Post

I grew him myself, with some DNA mixing of course! Angelic

"I warn you, if you bore me, I shall take my revenge"
--J.R.R. Tolkien

namarie
Rohan

Jun 23 2011, 10:08am

Post #180 of 194 (2931 views)
Shortcut
sorry for the late reply. I said that [In reply to] Can't Post

because we were talking about Tauriel being in a love story and having The Hobbit in mind. And we were talking about the standard love story - boy meets girl etc.

And I also said that because it seems to me that this days there is an unwritten rule out there that says that a movie has to contain a love story to be good. I think this was already discussed in the posts above :)

There is always hope

Flagg
Tol Eressea

Jun 23 2011, 12:20pm

Post #181 of 194 (2923 views)
Shortcut
Like in 'American Pie'? // [In reply to] Can't Post

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jun 23 2011, 2:30pm

Post #182 of 194 (2901 views)
Shortcut
"The public! God...bless 'em!" [In reply to] Can't Post

Hollywood's 'unwritten rule' about romance in a motion picture has been around at least since the original King Kong.

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Jun 23 2011, 2:32pm

Post #183 of 194 (2887 views)
Shortcut
But...Thranduil was the Pie Man in a previous life, wasn't he? ;) // [In reply to] Can't Post

NARF
NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd
NARF: NWtS Chapter Member since June 17,2011

sphdle1
Gondor

Jun 23 2011, 3:50pm

Post #184 of 194 (2912 views)
Shortcut
My guess is [In reply to] Can't Post

that Bilbo and Tauriel may never actually meet in these movies...I am picturing two story lines running at the same time, as PJ switches back and forth between them...one is the main Hobbit story as per the book, and the other is a made up one based off Appendixes or things barely mentioned in the book. I think Bilbo will be in one, and Tauriel will be in the other, and maybe Gandalf will be the only tie between the two...just guess on my part.

sphdle1

"You shall not pass!"

sphdle1
Gondor

Jun 23 2011, 3:56pm

Post #185 of 194 (2909 views)
Shortcut
Appendix A? [In reply to] Can't Post

I haven't even read the main part of the book.

That would be quite a scene to watch ... I wonder if they rehearsed it, but never actually filmed it..? I hope they filmed it...Wink

sphdle1

"You shall not pass!"

(This post was edited by sphdle1 on Jun 23 2011, 3:56pm)

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Jun 23 2011, 4:02pm

Post #186 of 194 (2893 views)
Shortcut
Tauriel will be in the Woodland Realm. [In reply to] Can't Post

She will not go to Dol Gulder. None of the Woodland Elves will. They are not involved with the White Council. I am certain that this is true as they take their army out to Lake Town before Gandalf turns up to join them at Dale. If there are Elves involved in the Dol Guldur action they will be from Lothlorien and perhaps Rivendell (Though I doubt that Rivendwellers will be involved as troops).

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

Dalgalad
The Shire

Jun 23 2011, 8:20pm

Post #187 of 194 (2878 views)
Shortcut
Yep, this is what I thought [In reply to] Can't Post

I have been wondering how Peter Jackson would be able to explain the drunken elves following the (very silly) drinking game scene in the EE.

Is Tauriel the answer?

Personally I'd prefer any new characters to be tied to the White Council story line, but I liked the character changes in the LOTR trilogy (Arwen, Lurtz for example). I thought these were necessary and well executed so however she fits in, I'm sure it will be fine.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jun 23 2011, 9:07pm

Post #188 of 194 (2871 views)
Shortcut
Thranduil could have kept his folk at home... [In reply to] Can't Post

She will not go to Dol Gulder. None of the Woodland Elves will. They are not involved with the White Council.

That is a real possibility. Even if the Council did approach Thranduil and ask for the support of the Wood-elves' kingdom, the Elvenking may have refused to aid them. After all, he had just captured some possible spies; even if they were unconnected to the Necromancer, who knew what the Dwarves might have been up to?

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Jun 24 2011, 1:35am

Post #189 of 194 (2867 views)
Shortcut
Lianna from The Hobbit PS2 console game [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't read this entire thread, so please excuse me if this has been mentioned.

My son was playing The Hobbit on our PlayStation 2 console tonight. He showed me a character named Lianna who helped Bilbo free the dwarves from the Elves. We already know this portion of the film script has been changed from the book. Is is possible they are going to follow the game to some extent?

Flagg
Tol Eressea

Jun 24 2011, 11:16am

Post #190 of 194 (2827 views)
Shortcut
It's possible [In reply to] Can't Post

When I first heard the 'Itaril' rumours, the game was what initially came to my mind. I don't think they've actually acquired the game's film adaptation rights (I'm sure anything like that would have been brought to our attention), but it's possible that the writers played and were inspired by the game; PJ included little nods to the Bakshi Lord of the Rings in the trilogy, and to be honest I consider the game of The Hobbit to be a better representation of Middle-earth than any of the animated films. It's also quite possible that it's just a coincidence; perhaps the decision to add female characters is one reached by many writers who attempt to adapt The Hobbit.

sphdle1
Gondor

Jun 24 2011, 11:45am

Post #191 of 194 (2823 views)
Shortcut
Yeah we'd all win that bet [In reply to] Can't Post

because we'd all be betting that Bilbo would never have such a love interest.Cool

sphdle1

"You shall not pass!"

The Revolutionist

Jun 24 2011, 4:32pm

Post #192 of 194 (2838 views)
Shortcut
I guess adding female characters was inevitable [In reply to] Can't Post

I think the speculation that Tauriel will help Bilbo in the halls of the Elven-king and later turn up at the Battle of the Five Armies are probably the best guesses. In the book, we don't really get to know any of the elves as characters - they are kept quite distant and mysterious. But for the purposes of the film, it'll be more engaging to develop some of them more fully.

But I find it hard to see how to fit in a romantic subplot to The Hobbit - it would be an awkward fit. I hope that PJ doesn't bow to Hollywood orthodoxy and try to shoehorn one in. But they handled Arwen pretty well in the LotR films, and pulled back from the more extreme changes such as having her fight at Helm's Deep. So I trust that while there will be expanded roles for female characters, they will be given parts that are in keeping with the story as a whole.

Mad Hatter of Middle-Earth
Lorien

Jul 1 2011, 5:18pm

Post #193 of 194 (2802 views)
Shortcut
Warrior elf? [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope she is made out to be a hot bad-a$$ warrior princess!

All you have to decide is what to do with the time that has been given to you...

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jul 29 2011, 6:54pm

Post #194 of 194 (2838 views)
Shortcut
Taur-nu-Fuin as Mirkwood [In reply to] Can't Post

Writer and scholar John D. Rateliff seems to agree with you. In his book The History of The Hobbit he makes a strong case for the wood of Taur-nu-Fuin (litertally 'Forest under Night') to be the Sindarin name for Mirkwood before Sauron came and founded his fortress of Dol Guldur.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.