Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Just who is Tauriel? Let the Speculation Begin!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next page Last page  View All

News From Bree
spymaster@theonering.net

Jun 20 2011, 7:17am

Post #1 of 194 (11324 views)
Shortcut
Just who is Tauriel? Let the Speculation Begin! Can't Post

The following is some speculation from Garfiemao, a long time staffer and event coordinator of TheOneRing.net. Please note, there are many story spoilers in this article, so if you have not read The Hobbit, and want to remain spoiler-free, we suggest you skip this article.

With this most recent casting news update, we were given a newly created character by the name of Tauriel. She is described by Peter Jackson as being a true Sylvan Elf, with her name simply meaning "Daughter of Mirkwood". Aside from the assurance she will not have a romantic link to Legolas, we currently know nothing else about her. So, let the speculation begin.

We know in the book that we see many of the Mirkwood Elves, named or not, at a few different points in the story. First are the evening Elven campfire meals that draw the Dwarves off the trail as they follow the firelight into the forest, which then causes the Elves to vanish. After numerous such incidences, the Dwarves are finally captured and imprisoned for ostensibly being a menace to the Elven citizens of Mirkwood. Second are the various Elves involved in maintaining the Dwarves imprisonment, be it guards, those bringing meals, the Elves preparing the wine barrels and Thranduil and his entourage during questioning of the Dwarves. The Third instance will be when Thranduil decides to go to the Lonely Mountain to make a possible claim on the Dragon treasure and is involved in the Battle of 5 Armies.

The first instance doesn't really give much face time to see and get to know any particular individual, since the visions of the Elven party are supposed to be somewhat ethereal. They appear and disappear rather mysteriously to the Dwarves, and I imagine it will be filmed that way, rather than we viewers getting a solid look at the party. While Tauriel may be amongst this party, for recognition's sake, I don't believe we will get a specific view, much as Frodo and Sam simply watched the Elven party parade by in the FOTR extended edition.

But the second instance, once the Dwarves are captured, is a much more likely time to meet and get to know Tauriel. One possible storyline might simply be that in order for Thranduil to justify imprisoning the Dwarves for menacing the Elven party, there must be a complaint from the Elves stating they were menaced. This would be a simple way to introduce her character, in a manner that does not affect the existing storyline. As the imprisonment continues, she may be present during the questioning of Thorin, or not. Or she may at least be consulted on how long they should be punished, or not. This would impinge more on Tolkien's original story, but then, in film, it is often seen that a leader has attendants to speak with, or at least speak to, while contemplating big decisions. We saw Theoden consulting many people in his war room, with Gamling being the main attendant. So Tauriel may end up simply being used as an expository character in this particular instance.

Of course, there is then the third instance of Elven involvement, the Battle of 5 Armies. With there being a whole host of Elves fighting, the filmmakers will want at least one or two Elves to be familiar to the audience, so the audience can invest feelings for someone during the battle. This was Haldir in TTT, who dies, along with most of his host, regardless of the fact that Elves did not go to Helm's Deep in the book. I know this change of taking a host of Elves to Helm's Deep and killing off a character that didn't die in the book because he wasn't involved in said battle created a bit of backlash. So with Legolas added to the film and Thranduil being more fleshed out, and neither of them dying during this battle, my guess is whatever other Elf appears for us to get to know, probably will die. If Tauriel is the only other Elf we really get to know, I fear her fate may well be sealed. After all, battles are messy and there will need to be sacrifice on all sides of the allied armies to balance things out.

But all of this is merely speculation and Tauriel might simply be an Elf maiden who prepares meals for the captured Dwarves. Or maybe she is just a wine maker preparing the barrels for their trip downstream to Laketown. With the very little information we have for Tauriel, there is no way to know if she is onscreen for just a few minutes or if she will feature heavily in much of the Mirkwood Elven storyline. We will just have to wait and see if Tauriel is a warrior, a scout, a winemaker or a guard, because for now, all we know is her name and that she won't be romantically involved with Legolas.

So how do you think Tauriel will be used? Sound off on our forums and on facebook!

(This post was edited by Silverlode on Jun 21 2011, 12:16am)

Maiarmike
Grey Havens

Jun 20 2011, 12:29pm

Post #2 of 194 (7444 views)
Shortcut
LOL! [In reply to] Can't Post

Nice flat-top on Tauriel there, I think she may be a little more elegant in the movies! Laugh

"I warn you, if you bore me, I shall take my revenge"
--J.R.R. Tolkien

chrismortega
Bree

Jun 20 2011, 1:00pm

Post #3 of 194 (7311 views)
Shortcut
NOICE [In reply to] Can't Post

lololololol. Agreed. At least they could have photoshopped her face on a FEMALE elf!

"NEVER TRUST AN ELF!"

namarie
Rohan

Jun 20 2011, 1:18pm

Post #4 of 194 (7355 views)
Shortcut
From the picture above [In reply to] Can't Post

I will speculate that Tauriel is in fact the other half of Legolas split personality but with brown hair and some bigger ears :))))

The picture doesn't do justice to Evangeline at all :)

There is always hope

(This post was edited by namarie on Jun 20 2011, 1:24pm)

namarie
Rohan

Jun 20 2011, 1:56pm

Post #5 of 194 (7305 views)
Shortcut
But on a serious note [In reply to] Can't Post

For me is hard to believe that they created an extra character just for "simply be an Elf maiden who prepares meals".

As for the assumption that they need someone to die in the Battle of the Five Armies, (as it happens in LOTR at Helm's Deep) wouldn't that be just a repetition of the same idea?! ( the idea that they want you to invest emotionally in a character and then they kill him/her in the battle). Maybe this time PJ and Fran will have some new ideas :)

As I said in the previous thread (which announced her part in the Hobbit) because of her role in Lost, I see Evangeline as an actress capable to do a lot of physical stuff so maybe that was an influence in her getting hired for the part (plus the fact that she is looking elvish, of course :) ). So based on this I will assume that her character will make more then a few meals :)
But it's just an assumption.

There is always hope

peleowyn
Rivendell

Jun 20 2011, 2:02pm

Post #6 of 194 (7252 views)
Shortcut
I bet she'll be a blond ..... [In reply to] Can't Post

Mirkwood spinner/weaver of elven cloaks! :)

"Look! There is light, and beauty up there, that no Shadow can touch!"

Maiarmike
Grey Havens

Jun 20 2011, 2:04pm

Post #7 of 194 (7164 views)
Shortcut
Or maybe... [In reply to] Can't Post

...she'll just be knitting all day! Tongue

"I warn you, if you bore me, I shall take my revenge"
--J.R.R. Tolkien

dormouse
Half-elven

Jun 20 2011, 2:08pm

Post #8 of 194 (7238 views)
Shortcut
Creating or bringing forward a character to take part in the battle.... [In reply to] Can't Post

... is the same idea as Haldir in Two Towers, but as they must adapt another battle for the screen the idea is still valid. If the audience is to be interested in what's happening, and to care, they need to 'know' some of the characters involved. A faceless mass fighting and dying becomes uninteresting after a while. And as Bilbo takes his stand with the Elf king's army there must be a few recognisable faces there for the camera to pick out. Battles are about survival and death - it's hard to think what other idea they could come up with!

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Jun 20 2011, 2:29pm

Post #9 of 194 (7213 views)
Shortcut
lauriel being bilbo´s friend during the time the dwarves are in prisson [In reply to] Can't Post

What about this? in rotk estended edition we see Legolas drinking against Gimli, in the drinking game, well he drinks a lot and he barely feels a slight sensation in his fingers, it is told that the wine of the elves of mirkwood is heavier than any ale, like men of rohan´s ale, but i feel that the tihg of galion maybe is not going to appear, tought is funny but i feel that Lauriel will find Bilbo in his long period inside Thranduil´s halls, in the book it is said that Bilbo spents there not only a day for example, it wouldn´t be surprising that she became a friend of Bilbo and would help him during the time that Thorin is at prisson, that would put Legolas besides his father in all moment, not being a bad guy, maybe he becomes friend of Gandalf or something, but Lauriel may help Bilbo and the dwarves to scape, that would let her as an elve maiden, not being in bofa and not dying, or maybe she could also appear in bofa, that chance is possible.

i feel Lauriel becoming Bilbo´s friend during the time dwarves are captive, is not a bad thing, not only showing bilbo as an invisible all the time stealing food to survive, but having Lauiel as friend he could appear on screen more time, and that would give the story some interesting new aspects, buy without changing the original plot, at least not like in the case of elves bieng at helm´s deep

have a good life!!!!!!!!!

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Jun 20 2011, 2:30pm

Post #10 of 194 (7158 views)
Shortcut
I would say that it is a logical extrapolation more than an assumption. [In reply to] Can't Post

And a good one as well.

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Jun 20 2011, 2:32pm

Post #11 of 194 (7119 views)
Shortcut
I would take that wager. She will be dark haired.// [In reply to] Can't Post

Photobucket

Symbelmine
Rohan

Jun 20 2011, 2:34pm

Post #12 of 194 (7173 views)
Shortcut
Who ruined the picture of my prince Legolas?!lol [In reply to] Can't Post

I think Tauriel is Itaril from the casting call but they've just changed her name.
I speculate she will be added into White Council/Doll Guldur plot and the battle of 5 armies. She will die in BoFA.
I suspect there will be a romance with someone(I reckon it will be with Bard or some made up elf lord). I don't think it will be Lindir since he is from Rivendell and I think his role will be quite small.

(This post was edited by Symbelmine on Jun 20 2011, 2:38pm)

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Jun 20 2011, 2:44pm

Post #13 of 194 (7141 views)
Shortcut
But the casting call did specify a young Elf Lord from Rivende..// [In reply to] Can't Post

Photobucket

Kendalf
Rohan

Jun 20 2011, 2:47pm

Post #14 of 194 (7118 views)
Shortcut
Yes, a substantial role [In reply to] Can't Post

I, too, suspect this is actually Itaril and remember how Ronan pulled out of the role due to the amount of time it would take up?

Those two "facts", to me, suggest a substantial role for Lilly.

Whether that's at the White Council / Dol Guldur, I'm not so sure. I see her more as a Mirkwood elf at Thranduil's palace who maybe takes sympathy on the dwarves (after secret converstaions with Bilbo?) and aids them in their escape. Then, when she turns up at the Battle of Five Armies, she's a "goodie" in the elven army that the audience can latch on to...

rings7
Rohan

Jun 20 2011, 2:48pm

Post #15 of 194 (7166 views)
Shortcut
First of all that is one bad picture of her up there. [In reply to] Can't Post

You could've photoshopped her face in Arwen when holding a sword and riding Asfaloth. Wink

As for how will she be in the movies. All theories there make sense, though i think the one with more possibilities is pulling a Haldir in the BOFA.

I do wonder though, why Tolkien didn't create more females. Why zero in the Hobbit? To avoid any "drama"?

Symbelmine
Rohan

Jun 20 2011, 2:48pm

Post #16 of 194 (7115 views)
Shortcut
I said I speculated. [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't know. They might have changed some facts. They've changed the name so it's likely they have also changed some other things.

peleowyn
Rivendell

Jun 20 2011, 2:55pm

Post #17 of 194 (7130 views)
Shortcut
She could probably knit .... [In reply to] Can't Post

the Mirkwood spiders' web-fiber into fantastic and magical things! :)

"Look! There is light, and beauty up there, that no Shadow can touch!"

MissBaggins
Bree

Jun 20 2011, 3:02pm

Post #18 of 194 (7194 views)
Shortcut
Thranduil's queen? [In reply to] Can't Post

The Road goes ever on and on...

eralkfang
Lorien

Jun 20 2011, 3:03pm

Post #19 of 194 (7119 views)
Shortcut
Perhaps as a guard? [In reply to] Can't Post

I know Tauriel/Lindir started off as a joke, but… I mean… what other established unattached young Elf Lords from Rivendell are there? We'd have to be introduced to the twins, and pairing her off with Lindir (if she need be paired off, as the casting call seems to dictate) keeps her out of complicating established family lines.

While I don't want her to directly aid in the escape effort—since it really shows off Bilbo's cleverness and a warrior wouldn't be much use—I wouldn't mind seeing her reaching out to the dwarves. Oh, perhaps she's the guard with the keys and feigns being drunk (while her fellow guards do, of course)? Suddenly I'm seeing a short battle between the two that ends with her yielding the keys because she respects Bilbo. If played well, that might work… hmm…

And I think she'd definitely be a brunette. There were some brunettes (and someone with auburn hair) in the Mirkwood contingent at the end of The Return of the King, so they'd probably stick to the darker end of the spectrum for her. And while this doesn't relate to her, I really can't see Lee Pace as a blond.

rings7
Rohan

Jun 20 2011, 3:14pm

Post #20 of 194 (7131 views)
Shortcut
You're the second person to suggest Bard [In reply to] Can't Post

aside from me of course. I don't know, i'm still leaning to the Man-Elf relationship. Bard is alone/single whatever, a warrior, hero, like the "Aragorn" of the Hobbit, so why not giving him a lady-elf? Though i find this very unlikely to happen, considering previous descriptions of her role, i still like to throw that idea.

namarie
Rohan

Jun 20 2011, 3:14pm

Post #21 of 194 (7141 views)
Shortcut
are you talking about [In reply to] Can't Post

my assumption that she will be doing more then serving some meals or about the assumption that she will die in the battle?

There is always hope

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Jun 20 2011, 3:31pm

Post #22 of 194 (7106 views)
Shortcut
Both.// [In reply to] Can't Post

Photobucket

sphdle1
Gondor

Jun 20 2011, 3:32pm

Post #23 of 194 (7110 views)
Shortcut
I have no doubt that at the very least [In reply to] Can't Post

Tauriel is going to the the main love interest part of these movies...the question becomes, "with whom?"

sphdle1

"You shall not pass!"

(This post was edited by sphdle1 on Jun 20 2011, 3:33pm)

namarie
Rohan

Jun 20 2011, 3:39pm

Post #24 of 194 (7082 views)
Shortcut
I didn't read the Hobbit in a while [In reply to] Can't Post

and i don't want to read it until the movies will come out :) but I think the battle has a lot of moments that can get you involved/draw you in the action ( like Thorin being wounded, the arrival of Beorn etc).
The battle doesn't seem to me like "A faceless mass fighting and dying". And I think there are enough characters that we can invest in and care about in the battle.So that's why I'm thinking, do we really need the death of Tauriel ?! :)

There is always hope

dormouse
Half-elven

Jun 20 2011, 3:40pm

Post #25 of 194 (7046 views)
Shortcut
I think knitting has to come into it somewhere! ;-) // [In reply to] Can't Post

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.