The One Ring Forums: TheOneRing.net: Feedback:
What moves a thread to the top?

FingonOfPittsburgh
Lorien

Feb 17 2007, 8:46pm

Post #1 of 5 (1601 views)
Shortcut
What moves a thread to the top? Can't Post

Is it a view or a reply? I would think it'd be the latter, however, I'm looking at the OT forum and the Fiesta thread has a reply within the past minute, while the Torn Parents thread hasn't been replied to for 11 minutes, yet the Torn Parents thread is higher up than the Fiesta. Wasupwiddat?

Altaira
Superuser

Feb 17 2007, 8:56pm

Post #2 of 5 (1358 views)
Shortcut
We wanted to keep this as much like the old TORn as possible [In reply to] Can't Post

...so sorting a forum by the creation of the thread is the default setting.

In the FAQ (item 2.34) Tongue it tells you how to re-sort a forum's posts so you can see the one with the most recent reply if you wish:

Is there a way to sort a forum by the newest post first? The forums default to having the most recent thread created at the top of the forum. If you wish, instead, to see the newest posts (i.e., the newest activity regardless of how old a thread is), you can! To the far right of the forum column headings are the [Age] and [(creation)] links. Clicking on the [(creation)] link will re-sort the forum to show the threads with the most recent activity. This can be useful when you first come to the forum as a short cut for seeing which threads have been active. The [(creation)] link title will change to [(activity)] to show that you are viewing the forum by post activity. To return to the default “creation” view, click on the [(activity)] link. Note: the “Age” link will resort the threads themselves from oldest to newest and back again. You probably won’t use this link very much, but it’s there if you need it.

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

FingonOfPittsburgh
Lorien

Feb 17 2007, 9:07pm

Post #3 of 5 (1333 views)
Shortcut
Re: What moves a thread to the top? [In reply to] Can't Post

Whoa my eyes just glazed over.... Crazy

I just clicked Age like four times before it was sorted the logical way.

Do I have to do this every time I visit a forum? Each forum? When I open a forum (on other internet boards), I'm used to seeing them sorted by the most recently active topics. Is there no way to make the board behave like this all the time?

(This post was edited by FingonOfPittsburgh on Feb 17 2007, 9:08pm)

Altaira
Superuser

Feb 17 2007, 9:15pm

Post #4 of 5 (1375 views)
Shortcut
It's like the old TORN [In reply to] Can't Post

...and it's a global default. Since we purposely set it up to be like the old TORN so old threads will fall off the boards whether or not they have new replies, I'm afraid it's a done deal. Clicking on 'Activity,' instead of 'Age' may be better. That way only threads with new replies will move to the top.

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

FingonOfPittsburgh
Lorien

Feb 17 2007, 9:25pm

Post #5 of 5 (1496 views)
Shortcut
Re: It's like the old TORN [In reply to] Can't Post

OK I got it now. Age (Activity) is what I'm looking for. Perfect!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.