Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
what "religion" are you?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: what "religion" are you?
Christianity
Islam
Hinduism
Buddhism
Sikhism
Judaism
Bahaism
Confucianism
Jainism
Shintoism
Atheism
Other
Mr.Darcyism :)
View Results (58 votes)

Gollum the Great
Rohan

Jun 6 2011, 1:56am

Post #1 of 45 (774 views)
Shortcut
what "religion" are you? Can't Post

Actually, I don't really care for the word "religion" because I'm not even sure what we mean when we say it, but I'm throwing this out here (partially at Taekotemple's suggestion - thanks for a good poll idea).

This isn't a debate of which is better or anything, just a poll to see what religions we have on TORN.

I took the top 10 religions according to Fact Monster, if yours isn't on here I'm sorry, I couldn't list every single one! (that would be a really long poll....)Smile

(This post was edited by Gollum the Great on Jun 6 2011, 1:57am)

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Jun 6 2011, 2:06am

Post #2 of 45 (440 views)
Shortcut
Agnostic [In reply to] Can't Post

More specifically, since there are different types of agnosticism out there, I'm a weak agnostic (I personally don't know whether a god or gods exist) or sometimes I call myself a seeking agnostic (which is a term I seem to have made up) in that I don't know what exists out there, but I'm actively looking.

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Jun 6 2011, 2:37am

Post #3 of 45 (435 views)
Shortcut
I am [In reply to] Can't Post

a practicing Polytheistic Animist. Some day I will get it right.Angelic

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Jun 6 2011, 2:47am

Post #4 of 45 (460 views)
Shortcut
Episcopalian/Anglican [In reply to] Can't Post

I am actually pretty active at my church: sing in choir, head Outreach Committee, in steering committee for our capital building campaign, etc.

Gimli'sBox
Gondor

Jun 6 2011, 4:23am

Post #5 of 45 (484 views)
Shortcut
I try to just stick with the bible only. [In reply to] Can't Post

As far as being a "Christian" I guess in the most simplistic way possible I am you could call me that. I want to be "Christ-like". Although I don't agree with any denomination. My dad always tells people "What ever the Apostle Paul was, I want to be that."

So, I voted "other".

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Jun 6 2011, 8:01pm)

The Party Tree
Lorien

Jun 6 2011, 6:53pm

Post #6 of 45 (389 views)
Shortcut
I feel very similar! [In reply to] Can't Post

Being "Christ-like" is my aim, but I don't know if the Christians I know would call me a "Christian." I believe that whatever someone believes that helps them to be the best person they can be (and treat others well) is absolutely legitimate.

Wraith Buster
Gondor

Jun 6 2011, 6:57pm

Post #7 of 45 (397 views)
Shortcut
If I wouldn't have started out [In reply to] Can't Post

reading the Bible only, and I just went to church I'd be an Agnostic.

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Jun 6 2011, 8:01pm)

Gollum the Great
Rohan

Jun 6 2011, 7:25pm

Post #8 of 45 (415 views)
Shortcut
I know what you mean.... [In reply to] Can't Post

And I really don't think anybody exactly follows any "religion".

I know with "Christians," there are hundreds of denominations, and those denominations are divided further yet, and the individual churches and people within are all different.

One of the best answers for "denomination" I've heard was in "And the Word Came With Power" - an amazing book! But anyways, this people group in the Philippines wasn't sure what to put as "denomination" when filling out a form. So they put "Bible believers."

That is what I want to be. But so often, what I'm doing isn't living out the Bible, it's living out my idea of what's right or wrong.

Actually, I looked it up and "Christian" actually means "follower of Christ." It's sad how changed the term has become to the point where saying "I'm a Christian" doesn't really tell people much.

(This post was edited by Gollum the Great on Jun 6 2011, 7:26pm)

Wraith Buster
Gondor

Jun 6 2011, 7:27pm

Post #9 of 45 (373 views)
Shortcut
It's funny that [In reply to] Can't Post

non-denomination is a denomination. Tongue

Gollum the Great
Rohan

Jun 6 2011, 7:28pm

Post #10 of 45 (399 views)
Shortcut
I think I've heard the term before, [In reply to] Can't Post

what does it mean?

(This post was edited by Gollum the Great on Jun 6 2011, 7:29pm)

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Jun 6 2011, 8:34pm

Post #11 of 45 (377 views)
Shortcut
The advantages of organized religion to me... [In reply to] Can't Post

...include communal worship and the ability to multiply my efforts by working with others to serve in a Christlike manner.

I find worshiping with others to be very powerful, and it was certainly the mode advocated in the Bible. Just as we have individual interpretations of the Bible, individuals differ in terms of what forms of worship work for them. My personal preference is for the forms descended from the early church that have been in use for over 1,000 years, which millions of people have loved and followed, accompanied by beautiful music written to glorify God. It is all too easy to slack off in individual worship; the discipline of group worship is helpful for everybody.

And within the church I can also find people who can work together to help others. I am head of the Outreach Committee at my church. We have three different programs for helping homeless people, plus one working with an elementary school in a very poor part of town and one working to support a mission church in Saipan that is helping some displaced garment workers there. In addition, we support Episcopal Relief and Development, a worldwide NGO providing relief services.

None of these efforts are particularly affected by specific doctrinal issues, nor do they seek to impose any particular belief system on those being helped. Jesus said, "Feed my sheep." We seek to find effective ways to do that.

Idril Celebrindal
Tol Eressea

Jun 6 2011, 9:02pm

Post #12 of 45 (385 views)
Shortcut
Mr Darcy all the way! [In reply to] Can't Post

Jane Austen is God (or is it Goddess?) and I keep a copy of the Sacred Scriptures -- Pride and Prejudice -- on my nightstand at all times.

(This post was edited by Idril Celebrindal on Jun 6 2011, 9:03pm)

Gollum the Great
Rohan

Jun 6 2011, 9:31pm

Post #13 of 45 (351 views)
Shortcut
hee hee! [In reply to] Can't Post

I was wondering who voted for him... Laugh

Donry
Tol Eressea

Jun 6 2011, 9:49pm

Post #14 of 45 (356 views)
Shortcut
Jedi.... [In reply to] Can't Post

.....the only way to go...

KAOS82
Rohan

Jun 6 2011, 11:40pm

Post #15 of 45 (340 views)
Shortcut
Atheism even if... [In reply to] Can't Post

...I admit I believe in Eru and his crew Cool

seriously I believe in Providence, sometimes I doubt about it, but 4 me it's like that...

Gollum the Great
Rohan

Jun 7 2011, 12:43am

Post #16 of 45 (352 views)
Shortcut
so as an atheist [In reply to] Can't Post

do you believe in an afterlife? I know some atheists believe that when you die, you're just non-existant, but I don't want to assume that all atheists believe that.

(This post was edited by Gollum the Great on Jun 7 2011, 12:44am)

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Jun 7 2011, 3:09am

Post #17 of 45 (332 views)
Shortcut
Bushido works for me some days [In reply to] Can't Post

but my heart belongs to Christ.

This is the church I belong to but I live many hundred kms from there.

taekotemple
Grey Havens

Jun 7 2011, 6:46am

Post #18 of 45 (330 views)
Shortcut
Well, you did kinda come up with it yourself! [In reply to] Can't Post

I just thought the topic was so large, it was worth it's own thread. But you definitely did all the thinking for this one! Smile

I've mentioned before, I was born and raised Buddhist. The sect I practice is called the Soka Gakkai, and it's from Japan, and it's the same type of Buddhism that Orlando Bloom practices. Funny story about that: we have a Buddhist newspaper, and when Bloom went to Japan to meet the leader of out lay organization, they put a picture of him meeting our leader on the front. When that issue of the paper came out, Buddhist mothers all over the place would put that issue out so their daughters who had crushes on Bloom would see it and be encouraged to practice. Wink

My parents both became Buddhists before I was born, and met through being Buddhists. Before that, my mother was raised Irish Catholic, and my dad was raised in some denomination of christianity, but I can't recall which. Makes for some interesting family get-togethers.

We still celebrate Christmas, which I find really weird. I feel like if we're going to celebrate Christmas even though we're not Christians, we should then celebrate other religions' holidays as well. But I think we mostly celebrate it because of other family members still being Catholic or Christian. I just feel like so many religious holidays have become so commercial, and it seems kinda disrespectful to the root of what those holidays really mean. But then again, there are not any Buddhist holidays that have been declared national holidays in the US, so I guess we don't have many options.

I try to be aware of other religions, just for the sake of being respectful to others and I'm a big believer that in counseling, if a client has a strong positive connection to a faith, I'm going to do my best to encourage it as a positive coping mechanism, despite psychology's history of being anti-religion (mostly, I think that's Freud's fault, many of his contemporaries were more open minded.) When you get down to the roots of most religions, there are a lot of very similar values, so I do try to pay more attention to the commonalities than the differences. For example "Do unto others as others do unto you" can easily be seen as a variation on the concept of karma.

I have a fun book called "Sayings of Jesus, Sayings of Buddha," where a scholar of Christianity found quotes from Jesus and Buddha that were similar and compiled them into a volume. I think the author is Marcus Borg. It was interesting to glance through, seeing Buddhist sayings interpreted through the eyes of a scholar of Christianity, and I think it would be interesting if a scholar of Buddhism tried to compile a similar book and see what the similarities and differences would be.

Gollum the Great
Rohan

Jun 7 2011, 2:23pm

Post #19 of 45 (307 views)
Shortcut
Oh, I know, I'm not saying [In reply to] Can't Post

that just because we've so many issues with the whole denomination thing, we shouldn't go to church. I belong to a wonderful Evangelical church. Part of what I mean is that sometimes people get so caught up in what denom. they are that they forget the point.

If the Evangelical Church of America as a whole started having moral issues that I didn't agree with, I wouldn't stay just because "I'm an Evangelical!" I'm not. My family attends this church because that's where we've been led. I'll go to whatever church I'm called to, feeds me spiritually, and loves the Lord.

But yes, it is very easy to slack off when I don't go to church, and I believe we all need accountability.

Gollum the Great
Rohan

Jun 7 2011, 2:26pm

Post #20 of 45 (327 views)
Shortcut
ha ha well, thanks :) [In reply to] Can't Post

So what does modern day Buddhism look like? In history we've studied "ancient" Buddhism, is it still basically the same?

As I'm thinking, I realize I don't know much about it at all. What do you believe about God, heaven, etc. if you're a Buddhist?

Darkstone
Immortal

Jun 7 2011, 7:44pm

Post #21 of 45 (301 views)
Shortcut
Southern Baptist / [In reply to] Can't Post

Hengist
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 7 2011, 10:11pm

Post #22 of 45 (328 views)
Shortcut
Flying Spaghetti Monster [In reply to] Can't Post

Unimpressed

Magpie
Immortal

Jun 8 2011, 1:51am

Post #23 of 45 (285 views)
Shortcut
haha // [In reply to] Can't Post

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Jun 8 2011, 2:36am

Post #24 of 45 (303 views)
Shortcut
Polytheistic Animism [In reply to] Can't Post

A belief in more than one god and a belief that all natural objects and the universe itself have consciousness in some degree.

taekotemple
Grey Havens

Jun 8 2011, 6:51am

Post #25 of 45 (306 views)
Shortcut
There's a lot of different types of Buddhists, like different types of Christianity. [In reply to] Can't Post

I really can't speak for all modern practices of Buddhism, but in the kind I was raised with, we don't really believe in a God, per se, but we do believe that it's important to live in harmony with the universe. We also believe in reincarnation. Some kinds of Buddhism focus on reincarnation as we keep being reincarnated until we've leveled out our karma, then move on to nirvana, which is kinda like an enlightened, heaven kind of afterlife. I'm actually not so sure about how we view it in the kind of Buddhism I practice, though, because we also believe that, once you reach enlightenment, you can also choose to continually be reincarnated so that you can stay and help others become enlightened.

On a more personal level, having lost a parent at such a young age, though, sometimes I do question a lot of concepts relating to what happens after we die. A part of me feels like I don't need to know. And ultimately, I just try to be a decent person (and who doesn't fail at that from time to time.) Whatever comes after, I suppose I'll just have to face when it comes.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.