choice of username
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

mawguy
The Shire

Feb 23 2007, 1:40pm

Post #1 of 86 (1554 views)
Shortcut
choice of username Can't Post

since the official intro is here, thought i'd post this here as well.

i remember starting a thread asking everyone to explain their choice of username and what the reference was. kinda hard to access that thread now, so how about we start over?

"mawguy" is the cantonese transliteration of the chinese translation of The One Ring. the characters in my avatar are "mawguy", read from right to left.

"Alas for us all! And for all that walk the world in these after-days. For such is the way of it: to find and lose, as it seems to those whose boat is on the running stream. But I count you blessed, Gimli son of Glóin: for your loss you suffer of your own free will, and you might have chosen otherwise. But you have not forsaken your companions, and the least reward that you shall have is that the memory of Lothlórien shall remain ever clear and unstained in your heart, and shall neither fade nor grow stale."

Taedius

Feb 23 2007, 2:11pm

Post #2 of 86 (880 views)
Shortcut
A liking for Latin... [In reply to] Can't Post

Mine is far less exiting, I'm afraid. I took it from an expression iI found, 'Taedium Vitae', which basically means 'The Boredom of Life'; another name for depression. And that's a condition I'm struggeling with abit. It also has a connection to my real family name, but I'll leave that alone.

FingonOfPittsburgh
Lorien

Feb 23 2007, 2:12pm

Post #3 of 86 (866 views)
Shortcut
Mine is tricky [In reply to] Can't Post

I bet you won't be able to figure it out.

Out of the darkness of my life, so much frustrated, I put before you the one great thing to love on earth: the Blessed Sacrament... There you will find romance, glory, honour, fidelity, and the true way of all your loves on earth, and more than that: Death: by the divine paradox, that which ends life, and demands the surrender of all, and yet by the taste (or foretaste) of which alone can what you seek in your earthly relationships (love, faithfulness, joy) be maintained, or take on that complexion of reality, of eternal endurance, which every man's heart desires.

--J.R.R. Tolkien, Letter #43, to his son Michael

Darkstone
Immortal

Feb 23 2007, 2:26pm

Post #4 of 86 (863 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

Been using it since 1967.

My surname is Morgan.

In Sindarin "Mor" = Dark

"Gon(d)" = Stone. (If used as a suffix the "d" is dropped.)

Darkstone.

"That's not right! That's not even wrong!!"
-Wolfgang Pauli after seeing TTT

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Feb 23 2007, 2:31pm

Post #5 of 86 (851 views)
Shortcut
Very nice! [In reply to] Can't Post

BTW, I just took a peek at your bio. Are you sure you want to put your full name, city, and date of birth there all at the same time? Maybe I'm paranoid about identity theft, but I'd suggest leaving some of it out. Unless, of course, you made some of it up. ;-)

Anyway, great nick!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
Chance Meeting at Rivendell: a Tolkien Fanfic
and some other stuff I wrote...
leleni at hotmail dot com

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Feb 23 2007, 2:36pm

Post #6 of 86 (910 views)
Shortcut
I've told this tale several times, but I never tire of it. [In reply to] Can't Post

Guess I'm like Bilbo that way.

I used to use my real name, Karen. But after a while I thought it would be more fun to have a Tolkien-related name. (Besides, people kept mixing me up with karen the magnificent). I had been corresponding with a nephew-in-law who is my opposite in most things: he's very conservative, I'm pretty liberal. He's a fundamentalist Christian, I'm a Unitarian. He sponsored anti-gay-rights legislation, I'm a gay-rights activist, and so on. But the one place we can have a meeting of the minds is Tolkien: he loves LotR. And to give him credit, he doesn't mind having a civil discourse about things we disagree on. So we were having a copious e-mail correspondence for a while, and I mentioned that he should let me know if I was getting too verbose; I didn't want to be like Dora Baggins.

When I started casting about for a new nick, Altaira suggested "Luthien". Very sweet of her, but it just wasn't me. I remembered my conversation with my nephew, and Aunt Dora seemed like an obvious choice.

"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
Chance Meeting at Rivendell: a Tolkien Fanfic
and some other stuff I wrote...
leleni at hotmail dot com

Scout
Rivendell

Feb 23 2007, 2:40pm

Post #7 of 86 (850 views)
Shortcut
Scout [In reply to] Can't Post

Scout, as in Scout Finch in To Kill a Mockingbird.

I've always loved the book and movie....and love the character. Charming tomboy who possesses a naivete while also possessing the wisdom of ages.

Foe
Lorien

Feb 23 2007, 2:41pm

Post #8 of 86 (859 views)
Shortcut
"This, Gandalf, was Glamdring, ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Foe-hammer that the king of Gondolin once wore."

Elrond said that.

That's where my original moniker, "Foe-Hammer of Gondolin" came from. I've since been dubbed "Foe" in both cyber-life and RL, so that's what I chose this time around.

Email Foe!

Foe's LiveJournal!

Foe's Myspace!

YIM, AIM, MSN= foehelm

Aerin
Grey Havens

Feb 23 2007, 2:44pm

Post #9 of 86 (870 views)
Shortcut
Glad to oblige. [In reply to] Can't Post

When I first registered for TORn, I noticed that a lot of people had Tolkien-related usernames, and I liked that idea. I didn't feel comfortable using the name of a major character, so I looked through the index of the Sil for more obscure names, to see if one caught my fancy. I didn't even get past the "A"s, because when I came to "Aerin," I realized that my username could also be a tribute to Aeryn Sun, of my favorite TV show, Farscape.

Luthien Rising
Lorien

Feb 23 2007, 3:02pm

Post #10 of 86 (874 views)
Shortcut
I like gerunds [In reply to] Can't Post

and Lúthien was black-haired, like me. That's the originally true, very shallow version. It's a name I had to grow into, and one I keep proudly now.

Then Beren throttled Curufin; but death was near him, for Celegorm rode upon him with a spear. In that hour Huan forsook the service or Celegorm, and sprang upon him, so that his horse swerved aside, and would not approach Beren because of the terror of the great hound. Celegorm cursed both hound and horse, but Huan was unmoved. Then Lúthien rising forbade the slaying of Curufin; but Beren despoiled him of his gear and weapons, and took his knife, sheathless by his side; iron it would cleave as if it were green wood. Then Beren lifting Curufin flung him from him, and bade him walk now back to his noble kinsfolk, who might teach him to turn his valour to worthier use. 'Your horse,' he said, 'I keep for the service of Luthien, and it may be accounted happy to be free of such a master.'

Lúthien Rising
All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us. / We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Noneoftheabove
Lorien

Feb 23 2007, 3:35pm

Post #11 of 86 (881 views)
Shortcut
I regret not taking a Tolkien inspired name, but with Noneoftheabove I felt I had a sort of "online identity." [In reply to] Can't Post

The username was humorously suggested by my dad when I myself could not use any of the names I wanted however original they were; since they were taken by other users in other places. Noneoftheabove has a somewhat rebellious tone, and I liked it!

Nomad
Forum Admin

Feb 23 2007, 3:39pm

Post #12 of 86 (854 views)
Shortcut
Mine is from Star Trek which is ironic in at least two ways... [In reply to] Can't Post

I am 10 times more the StarWars fan than I am a ST fan... and also I have been hanging around TORN for so long now that I can hardly claim the title 'Nomad' anymore.

Nevertheless...

septembrist

Feb 23 2007, 3:45pm

Post #13 of 86 (839 views)
Shortcut
Lack of imagination [In reply to] Can't Post

My birthday is in September as well as my oldest daughter. Combine that with Bilbo and Frodo and I decided to go with septembrist. Of course some European history students may think I'm alluding to the infamous September massacres of jail inmates during the French Revolution but that is definitely not the case.

Lalaith22

Feb 23 2007, 3:50pm

Post #14 of 86 (821 views)
Shortcut
Not a real exciting story... [In reply to] Can't Post

Lalaith was the nickname Turin's little sister. It means laughter in Elvish. I thought it was such a happy and a true to me name I just had to have it. Of course when I first registered on TORn it was already taken so I added my favorite number.

Scout
Rivendell

Feb 23 2007, 3:52pm

Post #15 of 86 (850 views)
Shortcut
Lalaith was taken? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Lalaith was the nickname Turin's little sister. It means laughter in Elvish. I thought it was such a happy and a true to me name I just had to have it. Of course when I first registered on TORn it was already taken so I added my favorite number.

Here on the new boards?

Lalaith22

Feb 23 2007, 3:56pm

Post #16 of 86 (806 views)
Shortcut
on the old boards/ [In reply to] Can't Post

Owlyross
Rohan

Feb 23 2007, 4:01pm

Post #17 of 86 (816 views)
Shortcut
Very simple [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm Ross, and my nickname's Owly. I actually wish I had a Tolkien-esque nick, and I could only think of one, Bard of Tharbad (cos they both sound like my surname and I'm a (very amateur) musician). But I like Owly, and it has stuck.

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."
Benjamin Franklin
The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think.
Horace Walpole (1717 - 1797)

Scout
Rivendell

Feb 23 2007, 4:04pm

Post #18 of 86 (840 views)
Shortcut
Soo....Lalaith22 [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

You had no desire to ditch the 22?

Just curious, as some of us took the opportunity to become the nickname we wanted in the first place (I ditched a B).

Wynnie
Rohan

Feb 23 2007, 4:08pm

Post #19 of 86 (840 views)
Shortcut
Why "Wynnie"? [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, my favorite LotR character is Eowyn, and my RL name is technically a diminutive, so I thought up Wynnie as a possible diminutive of Eowyn. It has the added bonus of being a homonym of whinny (I like horses) and Winnie (I like Pooh).

Owlamoo
ink drawing by JRRT

Foe
Lorien

Feb 23 2007, 4:08pm

Post #20 of 86 (789 views)
Shortcut
I ditched a -Hammer of Gondolin. /nt [In reply to] Can't Post

Email Foe!

Foe's LiveJournal!

Foe's Myspace!

YIM, AIM, MSN= foehelm

sherlock
Gondor

Feb 23 2007, 4:46pm

Post #21 of 86 (811 views)
Shortcut
Mine is [In reply to] Can't Post

just my dog's name. When I was lurking here I really want to post something (probably about Sean Bean's Boromir) but hadn't decided on a LOTR nick yet so I just went with my dog's name. I really wanted a hobbit name but something obscure, maybe from the appendices.

How my (female) dog ended up being named Sherlock is a whole nother story that I won't bore you with.

NottaSackville
Valinor

Feb 23 2007, 5:00pm

Post #22 of 86 (829 views)
Shortcut
I am Not a Sackville Baggins = NottaSackville [In reply to] Can't Post

I know, pretty lame, but I wanted a Hobbitty name, and I was sure that most good ones were taken. So instead of hunting for a good one, I went for saying I'm not one of the bad ones.

I think the very first post I made I used something like "Third nazgul from the left", but someone quickly posted to point out that a user was already "Third orc from the left", so I changed immediately. Although I didn't steal on purpose, I have to admit to myself that Orc's name had probably been lying around somewhere in my subconcious as a cool one as I'd been lurking for a while before I registered.

Notta

greendragon
Sr. Staff

Feb 23 2007, 5:06pm

Post #23 of 86 (790 views)
Shortcut
greendragon's fairly obvious, I suppose... [In reply to] Can't Post

I do love dragons - but the MAIN reason I chose this nick was because I wanted to be named after a pub! It's true! Pubs are a part of British heritage which I love - especially the old style pubs, with low beams, roaring fires, wooden settles, good pints and great company! I'm sure The Green Dragon would have been the very best kind of pub - and that's one of the things I miss the most as a Brit now living in America. It's hard to find a proper pub here - where my parents live in England you come across absolute gems tucked away behind tall hedgerows, buildings which have been there for centuries...

So - sorry, I'm rambling! - I went for greendragon because I love country pubs, being named after a pub seemed like a very British thing to do, and also it has good links to my pagan beliefs and tastes. And I was very glad that it wasn't already taken when I first came to TORn about five years ago (can it possibly be that long?!).

'There are older and fouler things than orcs in the deep places of my fridge...'

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Feb 23 2007, 5:14pm

Post #24 of 86 (819 views)
Shortcut
My reason is very boring: it is my first name translated into Quenya. (n/t) [In reply to] Can't Post

Annael
Immortal

Feb 23 2007, 5:21pm

Post #25 of 86 (787 views)
Shortcut
well [In reply to] Can't Post

I was ritergrrl at first, which is a nick I've used elsewhere, but when 2000 rolled around I felt the need to change and be more "Tolkienish." I also use "Annie B" on some boards, so when I saw "Annael" in the Encyclopedia of Arda, I took it.
I pronounce it An-nelle with a subtle hint of the second a.

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.