Will be
View Results (44 votes)

Lady Brynna
The Shire

May 31 2011, 1:21pm

Post #1 of 129 (2189 views)
Shortcut
Are you a Homeschooler or Not Can't Post

I've heard that quite a few homeschoolers like Lord of the Rings. But I'm not sure. I'm a Homeschooler myself so I just wanted to put this up there.

macfalk
Valinor

May 31 2011, 1:51pm

Post #2 of 129 (1813 views)
Shortcut
Whats a homeschooler? // [In reply to] Can't Post

Patty
Immortal

May 31 2011, 1:54pm

Post #3 of 129 (1811 views)
Shortcut
Are you a person being schooled at home or... [In reply to] Can't Post

a person who is schooling someone at home?

Homeschooling always struck me as something that would be detrimental to the students' socialization with his/her peers, but I imagine the moms and dads address that issue in other ways, like through their churches or putting the child in other social groups?

Lady Brynna
The Shire

May 31 2011, 2:16pm

Post #4 of 129 (1817 views)
Shortcut
A Homeschooler is.......... [In reply to] Can't Post

.......someone who schools their own kid at home or is schooled at home. They do their studies at home and they have no homework because all their work is at home.

Gollum the Great
Rohan

May 31 2011, 3:42pm

Post #5 of 129 (1757 views)
Shortcut
YES! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's nice to know there are other home schoolers here. I know a lot of home schooled ringers.

Gollum the Great
Rohan

May 31 2011, 3:47pm

Post #6 of 129 (1806 views)
Shortcut
We're not antisocial! [In reply to] Can't Post

I promise! While you may occasionally find some who never leave home and don't know anybody, this is a very rare exception. Nearly all the homeschoolers I know are VERY social (I'm probably the "least social" of all my friends, I don't have FB or a cellphone).Wink
I have tons of friends from church, our home school group, Bible quizzing, youth group, and many other activities.
Plus, I've noticed that many home schoolers have a much easier time relating with people of different age groups, not just their peers.

FantasyFan
Rohan

May 31 2011, 4:39pm

Post #7 of 129 (1762 views)
Shortcut
We unschool [In reply to] Can't Post

All three of my children were homeschooled through high-school graduation. It doesn't fit into every family's lifestyle, but it was the best thing for us.

All three are successful college students now (one going for his PhD in astrophysics) and well-adjusted people. We are all geeks in my family, in various ways, although I don't know how well homeschooling correaltes wtih being a Tolkien fan, or how well general geekiness correaltes with successful homeschooling.

Patty
Immortal

May 31 2011, 4:52pm

Post #8 of 129 (1729 views)
Shortcut
I missed this earlier, but welcome to TORn, Lady Brynna and Gollum the Great! [In reply to] Can't Post

stay and chat with us a while--it's the ONLY place to be during the run-up to The Hobbit.

P.S. GtheG--I don't do facebook, either.Evil

RosieLass
Valinor

May 31 2011, 5:01pm

Post #9 of 129 (1792 views)
Shortcut
It's one of those things that really depends on... [In reply to] Can't Post

...why the parents decide to homeschool.

There were a lot of homeschooled kids at my church, and I've known others from various places.

The parents who were homeschooled to make sure their kids were getting a quality education that they wouldn't get in public schools also generally made sure their kids were involved in extra curricular activities, so they had opportunities to develop their social skills.

Unfortunately, there were also some who were homeschooled to shelter them away from the real world, so they got neither socialization nor a quality education. And when they got out into the real world, they had absolutely no clue how to cope. Frown

(This post was edited by RosieLass on May 31 2011, 5:02pm)

GAndyalf
Valinor

May 31 2011, 6:03pm

Post #10 of 129 (1757 views)
Shortcut
I wanted to homeschool BUT... [In reply to] Can't Post

It very much requires two parents working together as it is a LOT of work even in this modern era where there are more resources and support groups than ever before to help one along.
Sadly my son's mother and I weren't able to work together and now as a single dad I do not have the time to manage it.
I find that homeschooled typically are both on the upper-edge of intelligence because those 'special needs' students have to have both talented teaching AND extensive psych care in their background they tend to be put in schools and also because those are the children not typically served by standard curricula. Those are also the ones that typically appreciate fantasy better because they grasp what isn't immediately in front of them better than their peers.

Magpie
Immortal

May 31 2011, 6:28pm

Post #11 of 129 (1769 views)
Shortcut
sometimes there a like homeschool 'co-ops' for sports,etc. [In reply to] Can't Post

Some get together for chances at team and/or physical activities and some will work out arrangements to be on public school athletic teams.

We had a group of homeschooled kids that arranged for some of our folk dancers to teach folk dance to them (at their location). And some come to our Folk Dance center to dance with the general crowd there.

Gollum the Great
Rohan

May 31 2011, 7:20pm

Post #12 of 129 (1744 views)
Shortcut
Glad to join you! [In reply to] Can't Post

Actually, I've lurked around for a couple of years and have loved TORN (my family is sick of hearing about itEvil) But today when I saw the home school-themed poll, I thought, "Egads and Gazooks! The honour of home schooling be at stake! To the forums!"
So I joined.Smile

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 31 2011, 7:29pm

Post #13 of 129 (1779 views)
Shortcut
I was. [In reply to] Can't Post

I graduated many years ago, but once a homeschooler, always a homeschooler, right? Smile

I think many homeschoolers are avid readers (or have no choice Wink) so it wouldn't surprise me to find a high percentage on any classic book discussion forum, not just LOTR.

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

May 31 2011, 7:55pm

Post #14 of 129 (1702 views)
Shortcut
I don't have the patience to home school my kids. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

May 31 2011, 8:03pm

Post #15 of 129 (1794 views)
Shortcut
Our neighbors across the street homeschool. [In reply to] Can't Post

They have two boys who are about junior high age, and two girls who are about young elementary age. Both parents volunteer to coach in the local youth soccer league and The Little Goblin was on one of their teams last year. The dad is also the local Scout Master, and both boys are in scouts. I assume the girls are in scouts, too, but I don't know.

There is also a local swimming league that has a program for homeschoolers to get their P.E. requirement fulfilled.

Then, I've also known homeschoolers who are hard-core, anti-social, the-world-is-a-horrible-place-and-that's-why-our-kids-will-no-be-out-in-it kind of people. Unsure

Wraith Buster
Gondor

May 31 2011, 8:22pm

Post #16 of 129 (1740 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, I was homeschooled [In reply to] Can't Post

I just "graduated" last year.

I have a lot of stuff I want to do in my life so school books just seem liked such a drain unless you really want to learn something specific. That's why my mom, sister and I made a pact thing. The deal was we would finish the 12th Grade curriculum. Then once we we did it school would be over. (Although you never stop learning.)

Onward! Tongue

(This post was edited by Wraith Buster on May 31 2011, 8:27pm)

Wraith Buster
Gondor

May 31 2011, 8:30pm

Post #17 of 129 (1739 views)
Shortcut
The one and only thing [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't like about being home schooled is that people pigeon hole you a lot of the time. It doesn't really matter what it is. Just name something that you think of when "home schooler" comes to mind... That's my only gripe.Crazy

Lady Brynna
The Shire

May 31 2011, 9:20pm

Post #18 of 129 (1745 views)
Shortcut
This Post [In reply to] Can't Post

I wrote this post because I wanted to find out how many homeschoolers were on here. But I also wrote it because I thought someone might spread the word about homeschooling being awesome not bad. Thanks Gollum the Great. Everyone says their not social but they are we homeschoolers have groups that meet all the time too do stuff together we also do it in church. So thanks again.

Gimli'sBox
Gondor

May 31 2011, 9:48pm

Post #19 of 129 (1773 views)
Shortcut
Not being able to connect with peers has happened to me before and it was because [In reply to] Can't Post

the kids my age were either extremely whiny about nothing or bouncing off the walls like the entire world was a circus. My parents raised me to be mature and behave myself in public...and most other kids aren't so, yeah, there was a gap but, I don't really think that was technically a "bad" thing.

I'm not saying all kids were wild but, for the most part I enjoyed playing with my sister instead of getting yelled at to "come play" where most of the time they weren't really playing, they were getting into trouble.

I've seen lazy homeschoolers...I've seen people who go way over the top and make their kids walking encyclopedias by age ten. (I guess that's not a bad thing but, shesh, that makes everybody else look really stupid! Laugh)

I don't think there's anything wrong about shielding kids from most of the evil in the world but, I do think they should be taught how to fend for themselves so that when they become adults they know what to do. I mean half of the crud they teach in public schools is ridiculous. (No kid should start learning the differance between boys and girls and be exposed to homosexuality in PRESCHOOL. Let kids be kids! They'll have a chance to figure that out when their adults!) Plus they waste time teaching kids that and have to give them homework to do after school. It doesn't make any sense to me...

Another quick rant: my mom was talking to a public school teacher who told her she couldn't teach her kids at home beause she didn't have the patience. I thought "Uh, what are teaching other people's kids for??"

Also, for some reason teachers expect homeschoolers to finish all their books and grill them to make sure "they know what they should.". The funny think is my public schooled friend told me they hardly ever finish a book at her school. Hmm...so let me gt this straight...it's okay if you don't finish your books if your in a public institution but, if you're homeschooling and you don't, it immediately makes you a TERRIBLE parent. Okay! Gotcha!

Anyway, that's my five cents...Sly And yes, I was homeschooled!

Gollum the Great
Rohan

Jun 1 2011, 12:22am

Post #20 of 129 (1731 views)
Shortcut
*Mods up!* [In reply to] Can't Post

Exactly! Most of the time I find it a lot easier to talk to adults because everyone my age is texting!!!!!!! It drives me crazy, since eye-contact was taught in my family.

And just so it's all clear, most home schoolers are perfectly normal people - at least as normal as anyone ever is. In my family, we're not over-the-top, obsessively-sheltered, ridiculously smart, amish people! (not that I have anything against Amish people, it's just that when you're homeschooled people automatically think you must all wear dresses and bake your own bread).Wink

I think the pros definitely outweigh the cons for homeschooling. As Gimli's Box noted, why do kindergartners need sex ed? About the closest thing my sisters have ever had to sex education was when my baby brother was born and they all wanted to know how my parents knew it was a boy. Shocked

Homeschooling isn't about "over-sheltering" kids so they're unprepared to face the world. Believe me, they'll pick up a lot of bad stuff anyways. But I think it's worth something when my six year-old sister doesn't know any swear words.

(This post was edited by Gollum the Great on Jun 1 2011, 12:26am)

Gimli'sBox
Gondor

Jun 1 2011, 1:00am

Post #21 of 129 (1696 views)
Shortcut
I like you! Seems like you've got a good head on your shoulders.// [In reply to] Can't Post

taekotemple
Grey Havens

Jun 1 2011, 5:45am

Post #22 of 129 (1753 views)
Shortcut
I was never homeschooled myself... [In reply to] Can't Post

But I do know that homeschoolers have social outlets. Some public and private schools will even allow homeschoolers to join in their sports teams, drama clubs, or other such activities.

There are right ways and wrong ways to do homeschooling, and I have a few friends who say they were "homeschooled," but they really weren't. They essentially were taken out of school by their parents and not really taught at home. But also, there are some great statistics on many homeschoolers scoring higher on tests and having excellent acceptance rates into the colleges of their choice.

There's a great book called "The Teenage Liberation Handbook," which has some interesting views on how teens can essentially take control of their education and have a very valuable experience learning outside of traditional mainstream education.

taekotemple
Grey Havens

Jun 1 2011, 5:57am

Post #23 of 129 (1704 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

Kids aren't taught sex ed in kindergarten. At least, not in the state of California. That doesn't happen in the public school system until 5th grade (unless that has changed, but I doubt it.)

I don't see any reason why young kids shouldn't know that homosexuality exists. Two of my cousins were raised by their lesbian mom, and they certainly had to grow up understanding that it exists. I don't think young kids necessarily will understand it the way a teenager or an adult does, and certainly, anything to do with educating any child about any topic regarding sexuality should be age and developmentally appropriate. I mean, most kids, by the time they start kindergarten, know that girls have different body parts than boys, and that is perfectly age appropriate.

I'm sorry, I just felt I had to comment. I've studied enough about child development to know that kids do have enough awareness about their bodies from pretty early on and that there are some things that they're going to know possibly even before they start school. No, they're not going to know the mechanics of everything, or even the social politics of sexuality, but they are aware that they have a body and different body parts, which is perfectly normal.

taekotemple
Grey Havens

Jun 1 2011, 6:01am

Post #24 of 129 (1734 views)
Shortcut
Well, the first word that came to mind was "creative." [In reply to] Can't Post

But then again, I have a lot of respect for homeschooling, and most of the people I know of (whether personally or have heard about) tend to be very creative people. Also, they seem to be more self-driven than average.

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Jun 1 2011, 9:14am

Post #25 of 129 (1694 views)
Shortcut
Why would homeschooled people be any different on the LOTR point? [In reply to] Can't Post

Unless you are saying that proportionately they are more into LOTR than the broader public?

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.