Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Gaming & Collecting:
Signed copy (Dwarves and Gandalf) of The Hobbit on auction
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

May 25 2011, 7:38pm

Post #1 of 29 (2039 views)
Shortcut
Signed copy (Dwarves and Gandalf) of The Hobbit on auction Can't Post

Here is the book that is being auctioned as part of the Rise Up Christchurch Telethon, which is raising money to help rebuild Christchurch after the September and February earthquakes.

If you have seen the TV clip of Ian McKellan and Mark Hadlow from the telethon, then you've seen this book. It has been signed by all 13 actors playing Dwarves in the movies, as well as by Ian.

Edited to add: I see I was a week out on the closing date! Sorry for the confusion.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

(This post was edited by Ataahua on May 26 2011, 6:51pm)

Patty
Immortal

May 25 2011, 9:28pm

Post #2 of 29 (815 views)
Shortcut
It's only up to $157... [In reply to] Can't Post

I gather that's in NZ money.

Thanks for the link. I'll love seeing how far it gets up to...it's already too rich for my blood.

Permanent address: Into the West

Must. Have. The Precious! Give us the LotR EE Blu-ray Ultimate Box Set!

Donry
Tol Eressea

May 26 2011, 1:55am

Post #3 of 29 (768 views)
Shortcut
Up to $1,047.... [In reply to] Can't Post

at the moment......at the earlier price I was thinking of throwing out a bid....but not now!

What's the matter, James? No glib remark? No pithy comeback?"

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

May 26 2011, 3:14am

Post #4 of 29 (816 views)
Shortcut
Crikey, [In reply to] Can't Post

there goes my faint idea of putting a bid in! I'm glad they're getting a good price for it though.

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 26 2011, 7:00am

Post #5 of 29 (840 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the link [In reply to] Can't Post

I wanted to put in a bid but now it's gone way too high and my bid will probably only serve to push it higher (which is a good thing), but there's the risk of my winning, which will entail me having to do dishes for the rest of my life Laugh

Patty
Immortal

May 26 2011, 1:07pm

Post #6 of 29 (772 views)
Shortcut
Good on em. I was sad to think it was only going to be around $200. [In reply to] Can't Post

It's at $1,110 now.

(This post was edited by Patty on May 26 2011, 1:08pm)

SirDennisC
Half-elven

May 26 2011, 3:29pm

Post #7 of 29 (775 views)
Shortcut
Short term investment [In reply to] Can't Post

Imagine what the book will be worth when the films actually come out a short time from now? Assuming whoever buys it could part with it.

I'm wondering if it was signed by Rob Kazinsky or his replacement?

shadowdog
Rohan

May 26 2011, 8:10pm

Post #8 of 29 (793 views)
Shortcut
Now I am really confused [In reply to] Can't Post

Why does this keep bouncing around the board like a ping pong ball. I had asked a question about bidding on this which has vanished. Can non NZ people bid on this??? If so how, since I can't log in without a valid NZ address and phone number. Crazy

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

May 26 2011, 11:36pm

Post #9 of 29 (770 views)
Shortcut
Your question is in the second thread [In reply to] Can't Post

to be posted on this topic. You'll see it above this thread on the same board, which Altaira has locked (so that we don't have two active threads going).

I'm sorry, I don't know about non-New Zealand-based people having access or not to Sella.co.nz.

Ataahua's stories

shadowdog
Rohan

May 27 2011, 1:19am

Post #10 of 29 (790 views)
Shortcut
Thanks [In reply to] Can't Post

But evidently the only people who can bid on this are those who live in New Zealand. NOT FAIR.....WAHHHHH!!!!Frown

taekotemple
Grey Havens

May 28 2011, 6:40am

Post #11 of 29 (928 views)
Shortcut
It was signed by Dean O'Gorman. [In reply to] Can't Post

The website lets you see a closeup of the signed pages, and luckily, the majority of the actors have fairly legible signatures.

AlassŽa Eruvande
Valinor

May 31 2011, 9:50pm

Post #12 of 29 (718 views)
Shortcut
Somebody actually asked about that on the Sella site. [In reply to] Can't Post

Here is what the answer posted is: "overseas bidders can register to bid. they'll have to contact helpdesk@sella.co.nz for more detail. we usually have fairly rigid restrictions in place for overseas bidders, as most of the scam activity effecting sites like ours originates off shore."

Go here and look towards the bottom of the page.

And suddenly the Tornadoes saw afar off a greenlight, as it were a cloud with a living heart of flame;
and they knew that this was no vision only, but that PJ had made a new thing: The Hobbit, the Film that Is.

shadowdog
Rohan

May 31 2011, 10:45pm

Post #13 of 29 (694 views)
Shortcut
Thanks But [In reply to] Can't Post

That help desk link is of no help whatsoever for people outside of NZ. I had to put in a "phoney" phone code just to get it to accept my question. I told them it was phoney code in the message but am not hopeful I can get the ability to bid before the bid closes. WAHHHH Unsure

shadowdog
Rohan

May 31 2011, 11:11pm

Post #14 of 29 (702 views)
Shortcut
OK Now I am going to cry. [In reply to] Can't Post

From their website I found the following number 0900 73552. When I checked how to call from US to NZ to see about getting registered, I got this..... 011 + 64 + ? + ??? ????. That doesn't even come close to matching the phone number on their auction site. ??????? Can youse guys down under help out here??????

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

May 31 2011, 11:56pm

Post #15 of 29 (684 views)
Shortcut
NZ's area code is 64. [In reply to] Can't Post

When I dial an overseas number I have to put 00 before any country code - I'm not sure what system your country uses, so I'll put a + where I'd put an 0 and you can work out what your dial-out number should be.

So give this a try: ++64 0900 73552. If that doesn't work, try dropping the 0 before the 9.

Having said that, 0900 is a chargeable phone number (as opposed to 0800 being a freephone), and I don't know if that will work from overseas. Good luck!

Ataahua's stories

shadowdog
Rohan

Jun 1 2011, 12:18am

Post #16 of 29 (698 views)
Shortcut
Thanks [In reply to] Can't Post

But by dint of cursing, trying, crying, trying again and trying yet again, I got registered and placed my bid *snoopy dances*. Oh when I called my credit card company to make sure the charge wouldn't be rejected since it would come from overseas, the gal that took the call was all excited when I told her what I was bidding on and wished me luck and said she was jealous. Fans of Tolkien and the movies are everywhere.

Maiarmike
Grey Havens

Jun 1 2011, 2:47am

Post #17 of 29 (665 views)
Shortcut
Wish I could end up with something like that! // [In reply to] Can't Post

"I warn you, if you bore me, I shall take my revenge"
--J.R.R. Tolkien

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jun 1 2011, 5:07am

Post #18 of 29 (662 views)
Shortcut
Good for you! :D / [In reply to] Can't Post

Ataahua's stories

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jun 4 2011, 2:44am

Post #19 of 29 (692 views)
Shortcut
Winning Bid: $4,310. [In reply to] Can't Post

Whoever the winning bidder was, good on you. :)

Ataahua's stories

Patty
Immortal

Jun 4 2011, 3:43am

Post #20 of 29 (692 views)
Shortcut
Wow--never thought they'd get that much. [In reply to] Can't Post

how awesome.

Just as a side thought: How would you feel to know that your signature helped to bring in that much money for charity?Shocked

shadowdog
Rohan

Jun 4 2011, 1:31pm

Post #21 of 29 (686 views)
Shortcut
Yup [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 4 2011, 11:08pm

Post #22 of 29 (643 views)
Shortcut
Lucky dog. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Laugh

Silverlode

"Of all faces those of our familiares are the ones both most difficult to play fantastic tricks with, and most difficult really to see with fresh attention. They have become like the things which once attracted us by their glitter, or their colour, or their shape, and we laid hands on them, and then locked them in our hoard, acquired them, and acquiring ceased to look at them.
Creative fantasy, because it is mainly trying to do something else [make something new], may open your hoard and let all the locked things fly away like cage-birds. The gems all turn into flowers or flames, and you will be warned that all you had (or knew) was dangerous and potent, not really effectively chained, free and wild; no more yours than they were you."
-On Fairy Stories

shadowdog
Rohan

Jun 4 2011, 11:51pm

Post #23 of 29 (683 views)
Shortcut
Found something interesting out of this adventure [In reply to] Can't Post

I bid in NZ dollars; my credit card was charged in US dollars. I didn't realize there was that much of a difference. So the studio budgets money in the US but pays in NZ dollars. Quite a difference in cost there. Interesting.

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Jun 5 2011, 1:35am

Post #24 of 29 (656 views)
Shortcut
So ah what are you going to do with it? [In reply to] Can't Post

congrats by the way.

shadowdog
Rohan

Jun 5 2011, 2:27am

Post #25 of 29 (680 views)
Shortcut
Treasure It!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

It is a one of a kind precious treasure.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.