Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
For our Newbies. TIME (Today in Middle-earth) – BS (Book Spoiler) – and TORn's Observations Lists

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 23 2007, 10:32am

Views: 416
Shortcut
For our Newbies. TIME (Today in Middle-earth) – BS (Book Spoiler) – and TORn's Observations Lists Can't Post

AN INTRODUCTION and EXPLANATION

I started posting TIME in March, 2002. As I've read Lord of the Rings over the past 36 years, I always wondered what was going on with the other members of the Fellowship when I was reading about Sam and Frodo in Ithilien or Merry and Pippin after they were split apart. I started keeping a file on what was happening to them on any given day based on the timeline in Appendix B of the Appendices; so if there was something going on during any given day and/or year (in 3018, 3019, etc.), I listed them all together with excerpts from the book.

During the final days of the war of the Ring, I got the brainy idea to share my madness and post them on TORn; hence, Today in Middle-earth (TIME). Some are short, some get long... depending on events. When there were slow spots in the story, I started posting my BS (Book Spoilers) to fill in the gaps of Rohan... I mean... TIME. I try to clump them together in one thread, adding to it each day.

There are a lot of events in the story that are not listed in the Appendices, so I've made notes that say (from the appendices) or (not from the appendices). Entries from The Hobbit follow references from Karen Wynn Fonstad's “The Atlas of Middle-earth”. If it says (no text) but there's something there, it's my fanfic... just a smidge.

I don't always list something for every year if there's nothing going on; just occasionally for a point of reference. HOWEVER, if you're seriously trying to keep track of the exact dates according to the Shire calendar... these are not accurate dates. The Shire calendar has 30 days in each month (including February), so this would affect the actual date of an event. I am no good at conversions... it hurts my brain to do math(ish) things... so I work with our calendar (as it's used in the appendices)... which I find personally comforting to follow throughout the story. However, I am working on including a conversion in a single line at the beginning of each post to show the dates in the Shire, Númenor and Rivendell calendars. It's about as close as I can get. I’m still working those out.

Also, if you'd like to look at the lists of movie observations TORn has discovered and shared since the moments the films were released, you can go to the link in my footer that will take you to the lists for Fellowship of the Ring, Two Towers, and Return of the King. Each film has a set of lists that are more factual/subdued and a geeky list filled with details that will either leave you in awe or rolling your eyes in disbelief. Well, we're geeks... what'd you expect ;) There's also another set of lists that contain tidbits and more detailed observations called "There's Room For a Little More" that includes observations on music, costumes, gifts for the cast, etc. I'm adding new lists as I complete them, so watch for updates in the "News From Bree" page. Have a look and let me know if you have anything you'd like to add!
So there you are. Enjoy!

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Feb 23 2007, 10:34am)

Subject User Time
For our Newbies. TIME (Today in Middle-earth) – BS (Book Spoiler) – and TORn's Observations Lists grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Feb 23 2007, 10:32am
    Y'know Stapper Send a private message to Stapper Feb 23 2007, 11:14am
        {{Stapper}} :D grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Feb 23 2007, 3:25pm
    The Tale of (Days?) Urambo Tauro Send a private message to Urambo Tauro Feb 23 2007, 12:49pm
        Isn't it fun!? grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Feb 23 2007, 3:36pm
    Hey, gramma... diedye Send a private message to diedye Feb 23 2007, 4:15pm
        LOL! / dernwyn Send a private message to dernwyn Feb 23 2007, 4:57pm
        *jaw drops, eyes bug out* That's so cool!!! grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Feb 23 2007, 5:21pm
    You know all will be well here in our new home Lily Fairbairn Send a private message to Lily Fairbairn Feb 23 2007, 5:10pm
        {{Lily}} :) / grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Feb 26 2007, 1:47am
    How's this? Urambo Tauro Send a private message to Urambo Tauro Feb 25 2007, 2:14am
        *geeky hand-clapping* If nothing else, grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Feb 25 2007, 3:34am
        *copies* *pastes* dernwyn Send a private message to dernwyn Feb 28 2007, 4:32am

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.