Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: The Arena:
Lady Catherine de Bough versus Lady Bracknell.

Aug 4 2007, 11:38pm

Post #1 of 10 (3221 views)
Lady Catherine de Bough versus Lady Bracknell. Can't Post

"a handbag......!"

Two old snooty ladies duking it out! My money's on Lady Bracknell.

Riding with the Rohirrim!

Aug 4 2007, 11:51pm

Post #2 of 10 (550 views)
I'm with patty [In reply to] Can't Post

Never doubt that a small group of peple can change the world indeed,that is the onely thing that ever has......Margaret mead

Aug 5 2007, 11:44pm

Post #3 of 10 (552 views)
A tie [In reply to] Can't Post

Augusta fights quite earnestly, and Catherine give a performance to be proud of, but when the dust clears Judi Dench is lying flat on the mat having knocked herself out.

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.”

Aug 5 2007, 11:52pm

Post #4 of 10 (569 views)
You know, actually... [In reply to] Can't Post

in thinking about it, Lady Catherine is probably not all that old, as her daughter doesn't seem to be all that old. She therefore could have age on her side in a battle with the lady who scorns people being left in a handbag.

Aug 6 2007, 2:03pm

Post #5 of 10 (547 views)
I love Judi Dench... [In reply to] Can't Post

But Dame Edith Evans will always be Lady Bracknall and Barbara Leigh-Hunt will always be Lady Catherine to me.

You know who Judi will always be? Jean Pargettar/Hardcastle.

Alassëa Eruvande

Aug 6 2007, 3:55pm

Post #6 of 10 (506 views)
I think Lady Catherine is old. [In reply to] Can't Post

I seem to recall reading something about her having married later in life and having Anne later. But it's been a while since I've read P&P so I may have read it in one of the fan fics I've read more recently.
Anyway, I think Lady Catherine would totally whup Lady Bracknell. I think Catherine would fight dirty.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

And suddenly the Ainur saw afar off a light, as it were a cloud with a living heart of flame.

Idril Celebrindal
Tol Eressea

Aug 6 2007, 10:02pm

Post #7 of 10 (544 views)
TKO by Lady Catherine in six rounds [In reply to] Can't Post

Lady Catherine de Bourgh is a battle-scarred veteran of many a drawing-room combat with other members of the minor nobility. And she fights dirty. Lady Bracknell is a worthy opponent but is a bit out of her league here.

With caffeine, all things are possible.

The pity of Bilbo will screw up the fate of many.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

(This post was edited by Idril Celebrindal on Aug 6 2007, 10:08pm)

Aug 7 2007, 4:43pm

Post #8 of 10 (622 views)
I don't know... [In reply to] Can't Post

"To lose one parent may be regarded as a misfortune; to lose both looks like carelessness.". Anybody capable of saying this has such a big stiff upper lip the weight of which provides her with a formidable weapon.Sly

Aug 27 2007, 2:50am

Post #9 of 10 (3187 views)
Lady Bracknell [In reply to] Can't Post

Lady Catherine is used to dominating those less powerful than herself, and those whose good manners forbid them from takng her on. Lady Bracknell, on the other hand, faces down cheek and rudeness from her social equals who have no manners, and has also scrummaged her way into the nobility despite a chequered past. I think Lady Bracknell would eat Lady Catherine as a mere bijou snackette, although perhaps if the terms were confined to discussion of fireplaces Lady Catherine might carry the day.

The only LOTR character I would put money on against either would be Lobelia Sackville Baggins and her umbrella.

Jun 29 2013, 2:42pm

Post #10 of 10 (100 views)
a tie [In reply to] Can't Post

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.