Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Benedict Cumberbatch?
First page Previous page 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next page Last page  View All

katiecat
The Shire

May 30 2011, 6:38pm

Post #276 of 284 (937 views)
Shortcut
Benedict 101 [In reply to] Can't Post

Seems that some folks aren't familiar with BC, so here's a primer:

Here he is in his Sherlock hair at the BAFTA awards recently - I think the interviewer must have been standing on a stage? because BC is a little over 6 ft. tall... not sure how anyone could see this and not think the man is attractive:
http://www.youtube.com/...ne#p/u/6/3My00AXq_48
He recently did voice work for a game out on iTunes (only UK store, unfortunately), so since I can't download the game here is his voice in the trailer, and someone played the game for about 15 min and put the 2nd clip out there, which shows his voice a little more creepy, on that one you can hear his voice beginning at 3:18:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyO-09wsLR4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeBFCQ-aBds
Benedict is tall and lean, but he does have some nice natural muscle tone, like some really nice pecs. I think people have gotten too used to artificially bulked-up guys... but anyway here is a really good fanvid I found that should answer questions about his size (esp. vs. Martin) and his athleticism:
http://www.youtube.com/...&feature=related

He has done tons of voice and narration work, everything from comedy (download Cabin Pressure from iTunes, it's hysterical) to audiobooks (Sherlock Holmes Railway Mysteries, Casanova, etc.) to the above game. If you think you know what he's capable of as an actor, you don't... because he'll uncork something like the Creature in Frankenstein and BLOW YOUR MIND.

Sil
The Shire

May 30 2011, 7:37pm

Post #277 of 284 (839 views)
Shortcut
She didn't stand on a stage... [In reply to] Can't Post

The interviewer was 5 ft. 10 (shorter than Ben). But she had some rather high heels on:
http://www.marieclaire.co.uk/celebrity/pictures/33768/15/bafta-television-awards-2011.html
About Ben's muscles, I linked earlier a clip from Frankenstein where they're more on display... ;)

katiecat
The Shire

May 30 2011, 9:06pm

Post #278 of 284 (874 views)
Shortcut
Frankenstein clip [In reply to] Can't Post

This is the version I saw, as I'm in the U.S. so we only had the filmed version. He is more muscular than you might think, not sure if he had lost a little muscle to play Sherlock in the first series, but I certainly wouldn't call him scrawny, and he looked good at the BAFTAs just a few days ago. Not sure what part I'd like him to play -- actually I was hoping for the Elf King, but that has been cast -- but I wonder if due to the other commitments he has (Anna Karenina, After The Dance, etc. etc.) that it will be a voice part only. Thanks for posting the link to the Frankenstein clip, didn't know it was out there.

Sil
The Shire

May 30 2011, 9:26pm

Post #279 of 284 (769 views)
Shortcut
Re: Frankenstein clip [In reply to] Can't Post

I also only had the chance to see this version (even had to travel quite a long way to another country, but it was worth it).
He did have to lose some weight for Sherlock, he mentions it here in the first video:
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/sherlock/cumberbatch.html
He dropped out of Anna Karenina because of some scheduling problems (not sure if it's because of After the Dance, The Hobbit or some other upcoming project).

(This post was edited by Sil on May 30 2011, 9:27pm)

Maiarmike
Grey Havens

May 30 2011, 10:23pm

Post #280 of 284 (800 views)
Shortcut
I've been looking around on the internet as well [In reply to] Can't Post

since I was unfamiliar with him (darn U.S. television not showing any British television). He has a wonderful voice, I could see him playing Smaug. His voice is not unlike a less deep Andy Serkis.

"I warn you, if you bore me, I shall take my revenge"
--J.R.R. Tolkien

katiecat
The Shire

May 31 2011, 12:24am

Post #281 of 284 (810 views)
Shortcut
Scheduling Conflict [In reply to] Can't Post

Hmmm... I hadn't heard that he had passed on Anna Karenina due to a scheduling conflict. If the conflict is The Hobbit (altho it may not be, I've heard he is receiving offers almost daily), then I don't think it would be voicing Smaug. Smaug being CGI, the voice can be added later any time it fits around his other projects. So this gets curioser and curioser... I'm beginning to think this part may be something that's not on the radar screen at all, or otherwise why the big deep dark secret? I wish Peter Jackson would just tell us already!!

Sil
The Shire

May 31 2011, 12:35am

Post #282 of 284 (753 views)
Shortcut
Re: Scheduling Conflict [In reply to] Can't Post

There was a chat with director Joe Wright on Empire Online, and someone asked him which role Benedict will play, and he answered Benedict won't be in it because there's a scheduling conflict. Anna Karenina has been removed from Benedict's IMDb profile, too.

katiecat
The Shire

Jun 1 2011, 12:14am

Post #283 of 284 (771 views)
Shortcut
/Finding Benedict in U.S. [In reply to] Can't Post

Sherlock was shown on PBS' Masterpiece Mystery last time, I assume it will be again, season 2 to come this fall. First series is out on DVD. I feel your pain about finding Benedict stuff here... amazon.com and iTunes are your best bets. Someone also uploaded the entire Miss Marple Murder is Easy episode that he did to YouTube (in several pieces, but you can watch it all there). I would skip The Other Boleyn Girl, it wasn't a very good movie and he was in it for about a minute and a half. Earlier stuff you can find on DVD: To The Ends of the Earth, The Last Enemy, both miniseries where he had the lead. He looks so much younger in those, and his hair is his natural auburn. There are tons of narration work, some of which I mentioned above. But Sherlock is by far my favorite.

Sil
The Shire

Jun 1 2011, 1:15am

Post #284 of 284 (1957 views)
Shortcut
finding Benedict stuff [In reply to] Can't Post

I can feel your pain too, I'm not much in a better position living in Europe but not in the UK. Sherlock hasn't even been aired in my country yet, so no one knows who Benedict is.
On PBS there were a lot of random cuts in the aired version of Sherlock, but fortunately the DVD has the complete episodes. I've heard Sherlock is also available on Netflix Instant Stream now.
I'd also recommend Hawking and Van Gogh - Painted with Words, those are among his best performances (they were made for TV but you can find them on YouTube too).

First page Previous page 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.