Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
TIME - May 20
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 19 2011, 4:39pm

Post #1 of 38 (589 views)
Shortcut
TIME - May 20 Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth.

May 20, 2941 (S.R. 1341)
1. Passing Weathertop.
(from Karen Wynn Fonstad, The Atlas of Middle-earth)
..."The Company of Hobbit, Wizard, and Dwarves has passed Weathertop as the Road turns more east."

May 20, 2980 (S.R. 1380)
1. Aragorn and Arwen betrothed in Lórien
[not from the appendices – determined from text – Appendix A)
..."When Elrond learned the choice of his daughter, he was silent, though his heart was grieved and found the doom long feared none the easier to endure. But when Aragorn came again to Rivendell he called him to him, and he said:
...'My son, years come when hope will fade, and beyond them little is clear to me. And now a shadow lies between us. Maybe, it has been appointed so, that by my loss the kingship of Men may be restored.... ...though I love you, I say to you: Arwen Undómiel shall not diminish her life's grace for less cause. She shall not be the bride of any Man less than the King of both Gondor and Arnor. To me then even our victory can bring only sorrow and parting—but to you hope of joy for a while. For a while. Alas, my son! I fear that to Arwen the Doom of Men may seem hard at the ending.'
...So it stood afterwards between Elrond and Aragorn, and they spoke no more of this matter; but Aragorn went forth again to danger and toil. And while the world darkened... ...on Middle-earth, as the power of Sauron grew and the Barad-dûr rose ever taller and stronger, Arwen remained in Rivendell, and when Aragorn was abroad, from afar she watched over him in thought; and in hope she made for him a great and kingly standard, such as only one might display who claimed the lordship of the Númenóreans and the inheritance of Elendil."

May 20, 3018 (S.R. 1418)
1. Spring at Bag End.
(not from the appendices-no text)
...Frodo and Gandalf enjoy a peaceful Spring in the Shire and make plans for the fall as the Conspirators make plans of their own.

May 20, 3019 (S.R. 1419)
1. The Fellowship rests in Minas Tirith.
(not from the appendices)
..."The Hobbits still remained in Minas Tirith, with Legolas and Gimli; for Aragorn was loth for the Fellowship to be dissolved.... ...In those days the Companions of the Ring dwelt together in a fair house with Gandalf, and they went to and fro as they wished."

2. Elrond and Arwen come to Lórien.
(from the appendices)
...[There's nothing in the story or appendices of what occurred to bring Elrond and Arwen to Lothlórien other than to imply they've gone to join with Galadriel and then journey together to Minas Tirith.]

sample sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 20 2011, 11:56am

Post #2 of 38 (256 views)
Shortcut
"from afar she watched over him in thought" [In reply to] Can't Post

I do appreciate how this one phrase was incorporated into the movies, as a constant reminder of the relationship between Aragorn and Arwen.

I know Tolkien did have some regret about not being able to write more of their story into the text. I wonder how he might have done that!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

Loresilme
Valinor

May 20 2011, 2:27pm

Post #3 of 38 (257 views)
Shortcut
"Frodo and Gandalf enjoy a peaceful Spring in the Shire" [In reply to] Can't Post

That is such an idyllic scene to imagine .... peace in the Shire in the midst of Springtime Heart.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 22 2011, 3:27pm

Post #4 of 38 (226 views)
Shortcut
It's time for some BS! [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's a Book Spoiler about what Bilbo found when he tracked down the Company after escaping the goblins... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

From Out of the Frying-Pan Into the Fire: The Hobbit

...""I will give them all a surprise," he thought, as he crawled into the bushes at the edge of the dell. Gandalf was arguing with the dwarves. They were discussing all that had happened to them in the tunnels... ...The dwarves were grumbling, and Gandalf was saying that they could not possibly go on with their journey leaving Mr. Baggins in the hand of the goblins, without trying to find out if he was alive or dead, and without trying to rescue him.
... "After all he is my friend... ...and not a bad little chap. I feel responsible for him. I wish to goodness you had not lost him."
... The dwarves wanted to know why he had ever been brought at all... "...He has been more trouble than use so far," said one. "If we have got to go back now into those abominable tunnels to look for him, then drat him, I say."
... Gandalf answered angrily: "I brought him, and I don't bring things that are of no use. Either you help me to look for him, or I go and leave you here to get out of the mess as best you can yourselves. If we can only find him again, you will thank me before all is over. Whatever did you want to go and drop him for, Dori?"
... "You would have dropped him... ...if a goblin had suddenly grabbed your leg from behind in the dark, tripped up your feet, and kicked you in the back!"
... "Then why didn't you pick him up again?"
... "Good heavens! Can you ask? Goblins fighting and biting in the dark, everybody falling over bodies and hitting one another! You nearly chopped off my head with Glamdring, and Thorin was stabbing here there and everywhere with Orcrist. All of a sudden you gave one of your blinding flashes, and we saw the goblins running back yelping. You shouted ... ...and everybody ought to have followed. We thought everybody had. There was no time to count, as you know quite well, till we had dashed through the gate-guards, out of the lower door, and helter-skelter down here. And here we are—without the burglar, confusticate him!""

sample sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

Unused Scenes

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 22 2011, 3:45pm

Post #5 of 38 (246 views)
Shortcut
I would have loved [In reply to] Can't Post

to read more about how their union and rule restored the lands to their former glory... and how Faramir and Eomer influenced all of that. More of their lives and how they grew together... and more of Sam, Merry & Pippin in the Shire and visiting back and forth.

So much more... *sigh* I really do hope Peter, Philippa and Fran feel free to expand those stories in future projects ;)

sample sample

Unused Scenes

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 22 2011, 3:47pm

Post #6 of 38 (312 views)
Shortcut
Finally [In reply to] Can't Post

it feels like that here where I live right now :D

sample sample

Unused Scenes

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 23 2011, 4:27pm

Post #7 of 38 (226 views)
Shortcut
They're confusticating all over! [In reply to] Can't Post

Laugh! I do hope such delightful words as confusticate and [i[bebother have been kept in the script. They add such "flavor" to the story!

And having seen our fine Dwarves in the flesh, albeit sans makeup, I'm getting better visualizations of what an argumentative scene like this can look like - oh, this is going to be fun!

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 23 2011, 4:32pm

Post #8 of 38 (244 views)
Shortcut
It's time for a May 23rd BS! [In reply to] Can't Post

May 23, 2000
1. Half-way point of principal photography LotR.

May 23, 2000 was the middle of principal photography for The Lord of the Rings. Peter had special vests made for the crew to wear to earmark the day.

So to celebrate the day in the here and now, I thought it'd be fun to look at things in the middle... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.
  1. Right away, we have this place called "Middle-earth". Convenient, eh? :D
  2. The Gaffer is telling a stranger and others: "I saw Mr. Bilbo when he came back, a matter of sixty years ago, when I was a lad... ...while the sale was on. And in the middle of it all Mr. Bilbo comes up the Hill with a pony..."
  3. When Frodo was distributing Bilbo's mathoms: "In the middle of the commotion the Sackville-Bagginses arrived. Frodo had retired for a while... ...When Otho loudly demanded to see Frodo..."
  4. "To Frodo's astonishment and distress the wizard threw it suddenly into the middle of the glowing corner of the fire."
  5. Gildor invites the hobbits to come along: "'You had best walk in the middle so that you may not stray.'"
  6. The hobbits come to Bombadil's: "Nothing could be seen of the house in the dark: it stood back from the lane in the middle of a wide circle of lawn surrounded by a belt of low trees inside the outer hedge."
  7. Nob helps out: "'I've ruffled up the clothes and put a bolster down the middle of each bed.'"
  8. Aragorn finds a beryl: "'I found it in the mud in the middle of the Bridge'"
  9. Bilbo chastises Elrond: "'...you have disturbed me--in the middle of making up a song.'"
  10. Saruman monologues to Gandalf: "'The Elder Days are gone. The Middle Days are passing. The Younger Days are beginning.'"
  11. Gandalf approaches the door of Moria: "He stepped up to the rock again, and lightly touched with his staff the silver star in the middle beneath the sign of the anvil."
  12. Gandalf follows his nose: "'I do not like the feel of the middle way; and I do not like the smell of the left-hand way: there is foul air down there, or I am no guide.'"
  13. "The Balrog reached the bridge. Gandalf stood in the middle of the span, leaning on the staff in his left hand, but in his other hand Glamdring gleamed, cold and white."
  14. "Merry and Pippin in the middle boat were ill at ease, for Boromir sat muttering to himself, sometimes biting his nails..."
  15. "Treebeard lowered himself slowly onto this [bed] (with only the slightest sign of bending at his middle)"
  16. "'Isengard is a sort of ring of rocks or hills, I think, with a flat space inside and an island or pillar of rock in the middle, called "Orthanc.'"
  17. "'Now, now!' said Gimli. 'We are beginning the story in the middle. I should like a tale in the right order, starting with that strange day when your fellowship was broken.'"
  18. While Faramir was questioning Frodo: "Sam had been getting more and more impatient and angry at this conversation. These last words were more than he could bear, and bursting into the middle of the ring, he strode up to his master's side."
  19. Faramir speaks to Frodo and Sam: "'For so we reckon Men in our lore, calling them the High, or Men of the West, which were Númenóreans, and the Middle Peoples, Men of the Twilight, such as are the Rohirrim and their kin that dwell still far in the North; and the Wild, the Men of Darkness... ...We are become Middle Men, of the Twilight.'"
  20. "...the middle door of the Black Gate was thrown open with a great clang, and out of it there came an embassy from the Dark Tower."
  21. "...rage blazed in Sam's heart to a sudden fury. He sprang up, ran, and went up the ladder like a cat. His head came out in the middle of the floor of a large round chamber. A red lamp hung from its roo… …Something was lying on the floor by the wall under the window, but over it a black orc-shape was straddled. It raised a whip a second time, but the blow never fell. With a cry Sam leapt across the floor, Sting in his hand."
  22. "Inside it was filled with a grey dust, soft and fine, in the middle of which was a seed, like a small nut with a silver shale."

And finally:

23. "'You tried to give us the slip once before and failed, Frodo,' he said. 'This time you have nearly succeeded, but you have failed again. It was not Sam, though, that gave you away this time, but Gandalf himself!'
'Yes,' said Gandalf; 'for it will be better to ride back three together than one alone. Well, here at last, dear friends, on the shores of the Sea comes the end of our fellowship in Middle-earth. Go in peace! I will not say: do not weep; for not all tears are an evil.'
Then Frodo kissed Merry and Pippin, and last of all Sam, and went aboard; and the sails were drawn up, and the wind blew, and slowly the ship slipped away down the long grey firth; and the light of the glass of Galadriel that Frodo bore glimmered and was lost."

sample sample

Unused Scenes

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on May 23 2011, 4:34pm)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 23 2011, 4:36pm

Post #9 of 38 (226 views)
Shortcut
*twitch* [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm thinking there's going to be a LOT of dwarvish filming going on with Mr. Bilbo off working on his other job ;)

Oh geez yeah! They've GOT to leave to very Tolkien-esque words in there!!

sample sample

Unused Scenes

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 24 2011, 9:05am

Post #10 of 38 (240 views)
Shortcut
It's time for some MORE BS! [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's a Book Spoiler touching on Thorin and the Necromancer... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

From An Unexpected Party: The Hobbit

...""We have long ago paid the goblins of Moria," said Thorin; "we must give a thought to the Necromancer."
... "Don't be absurd! He is an enemy quite beyond the powers of all the dwarves put together, if they could all be collected again from the four corners of the world... ...The dragon and the Mountain are more than big enough tasks for you!"
... "Hear, hear!" said Bilbo, and accidentally said it aloud.
... "Hear what?" they all said turning suddenly towards him, and he was so flustered that he answered. "Hear what I have to say!"
... "Well, I should say that you ought to go East and have a look round. After all there is the Side-door, and dragons must sleep sometimes, I suppose. If you sit on the door-step long enough, I daresay you will think of something... ...I think we have talked long enough for one night, if you see what I mean. What about bed, and an early start, and all that? I will give you a good breakfast before you go."
... "Before we go, I suppose you mean," said Thorin. "Aren't you the burglar? And isn't sitting on the door-step your job, not to speak of getting inside the door? But I agree about bed and breakfast. I like eggs with my ham... ...fried not poached, and mind you don't break 'em."
... After all the others had ordered their breakfasts without so much as a please (which annoyed Bilbo very much), they all got up. The hobbit had to find room for them all... ...all his spare-rooms and made beds on chairs and sofas, before he got them all stowed and went to his own little bed very tired and not altogether happy. One thing he did make his mind up about was not to bother to get up very early and cook everybody else's wretched breakfast. The Tookishness was wearing off... ...not now quite so sure that he was going on any journey in the morning.
... As he lay in bed he could hear Thorin still humming to himself in the best bedroom next to him:

Far over the misty mountains cold

To dungeons deep and caverns old

We must away, ere break of day,

To find our long-forgotten gold.

... Bilbo went to sleep with that in his ears, and it gave him very uncomfortable dreams. It was long after the break of day, when he woke up."

sample sample

Unused Scenes

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 24 2011, 10:18am

Post #11 of 38 (254 views)
Shortcut
Burglar, chef, and bottle-washer? [In reply to] Can't Post

Thorin seems to expect quite a bit from someone who's just a "hireling"! You'd think that sign on Bilbo's door really said: Short-order cook looking to expand business into filching and fencing. Laugh

It also seems that Thorin feels he himself is a match for any Enemy...he's forgetting what Azog did to his own forefather!

(This post was edited by dernwyn on May 25 2011, 7:23pm)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 25 2011, 10:58am

Post #12 of 38 (229 views)
Shortcut
It's time for yet more BS! [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's a Book Spoiler that fits a lot of the weather the U.S. has been having lately... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

From Over Hill and Under Hill: The Hobbit

"Dwarves had not passed that way for many years, but Gandalf had, and he knew how evil and danger had grown and thriven in the Wild, since the dragons had driven men from the lands, and the goblins had spread in secret after the battle of the Mines of Moria. Even the good plans of wise wizards like Gandalf and of good friends like Elrond go astray sometimes when you are off on dangerous adventures over the Edge of the Wild…
…He knew that something unexpected might happen, and he hardly dared to hope that they would pass without fearful adventure over those great tall mountains with only peaks and valleys where no king ruled. They did not. All was well, until one day they met a thunderstorm… …a thunder-battle. You know how terrific a really big thunderstorm can be down in the land and in a river-valley; especially at times when two great thunderstorms meet and clash. More terrible still are thunder and lightning in the mountains at night, when storms… …make war. The lightning splinters on the peaks, and rocks shiver, and great crashes split the air and go rolling and tumbling into every cave and hollow; and the darkness is filled with overwhelming noise and sudden light.
Bilbo had never seen or imagined anything of the kind."

sample sample

Unused Scenes

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 25 2011, 7:04pm

Post #13 of 38 (273 views)
Shortcut
*snigger* [In reply to] Can't Post

Thorin really is a piece of work. I can't WAIT to see him in action on screen ;)

sample sample

Unused Scenes

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 26 2011, 1:28am

Post #14 of 38 (250 views)
Shortcut
Thunder-battle! [In reply to] Can't Post

That is indeed what one of those massive storms feels like! Great noise, terrible wind...

I have never had to live through a tornado, and have full sympathy for those who have! (Just this afternoon, my niece with triplets and a baby posted on Facebook about hunkering down in their cellar as storms moved around them, out in Kansas City...talk about one's heart skipping a beat! Unsure)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 26 2011, 2:02am

Post #15 of 38 (188 views)
Shortcut
That word jumps out at me, too! :) [In reply to] Can't Post

It really does tell it like it is.

I hope your niece and the kids are alright! That's terrifying! I've been through 3 tornadoes. One was laying in a ditch with my then infant daughter as it passed so close the car parked nearby was pitching like a toy. It's so hard to describe. My heart breaks for all those stricken in the past several weeks.

sample sample

Unused Scenes

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

May 26 2011, 2:31am

Post #16 of 38 (210 views)
Shortcut
You know the season is really bad [In reply to] Can't Post

when the small tornadoes that have been hitting Maryland in the past month don't make the national news. [The last round was closer than I would like, and didn't show up on radar, so no advance warning for anyone not looking at the sky.] I wish this tornado season would end. Might as well be an invasion of dragons for all the damage it's caused! :/

NARF
NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 26 2011, 2:43am

Post #17 of 38 (196 views)
Shortcut
It is terrifying when [In reply to] Can't Post

you're in the open, and there's no place to run! Unsure Three tornadoes in one's life are three too many!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 26 2011, 2:46am

Post #18 of 38 (168 views)
Shortcut
It feels like [In reply to] Can't Post

an invasion of dragons: unpredictable, violent, highly destructive.

I knew you were having some severe storms your way, but didn't realize that twisters had formed from some of them! How's the damage been?

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

May 26 2011, 3:14am

Post #19 of 38 (206 views)
Shortcut
Not nearly as bad as it could have been! [In reply to] Can't Post

Downed trees, a rolled RV/camper, mailboxes blown several miles away, missing siding...mostly minor damage like that, 'minor' being a relative term, of course. No one really feels right complaining about their damages when they see what's happened elsewhere. The winery that was hit a month ago had a building or two turned to match sticks, but the main operation is okay. All the twisters were small, and weren't on the ground very long, fortunately. The flooding and hail hasn't been welcome, either, but that, too, could have been worse.

NARF
NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 26 2011, 10:31am

Post #20 of 38 (202 views)
Shortcut
It's time for even MORE BS! [In reply to] Can't Post

This Book Spoiler I've done before, but I just love this description of Hobbits and Tolkien's playfulness... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

From An Unexpected Party: The Hobbit

... "This hobbit was a very well-to-do hobbit, and his name was Baggins. The Bagginses had lived in the neighbourhood of The Hill for time out of mind, and people considered them very respectable, not only because most of them were rich, but also because they never had any adventures or did anything unexpected: you could tell what a Baggins would say on any question... ...This is a story of how a Baggins had an adventure, and found himself doing and saying things altogether unexpected...
... ...The mother of our particular hobbit—what is a hobbit? I suppose hobbits need some description nowadays, since they have become rare and shy of the Big People, as they call us. They are... ...a little people, about half our height, and smaller than the bearded Dwarves. Hobbits have no beards. There is little or no magic about them, except the ordinary everyday sort which helps them to disappear quietly and quickly... ...They are inclined to be fat in the stomach; they dress in bright colours (chiefly green and yellow); wear no shoes, because their feet grow natural leathery soles and thick warm brown hair like the stuff on their heads (which is curly); have long clever brown fingers, good-natured faces, and laugh deep fruity laughs (especially after dinner, which they have twice a day when they can get it)... ...As I was saying, the mother of this hobbit—of Bilbo Baggins, that is—was the fabulous Belladonna Took, one of the three remarkable daughters of the Old Took, head of the hobbits who lived across The Water, the small river that ran at the foot of The Hill. It was often said (in other families) that long ago one of the Took ancestors must have taken a fairy wife. That was... ...absurd, but certainly there was still something not entirely hobbit-like about them, and once in a while members of the Took-clan would go and have adventures. They discreetly disappeared, and the family hushed it up; but the fact remained that the Tooks were not as respectable as the Bagginses, though they were undoubtedly richer."

sample sample

Unused Scenes

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on May 26 2011, 10:32am)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 26 2011, 10:35am

Post #21 of 38 (193 views)
Shortcut
Wow! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm glad it wasn't any worse than that... but I'm surprised my daughter hasn't called to tell me about it. She moved to Baltimore nearly 7 years ago from Michigan and has missed our stormy weather SO MUCH. (She's weird :) Including tornadoes... that she says hardly ever happen in Maryland. STAY SAFE!

sample sample

Unused Scenes

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

May 26 2011, 9:44pm

Post #22 of 38 (213 views)
Shortcut
Aaaand the tornado warnings are back up again! [In reply to] Can't Post

I can see the cross-currents in the air, but the first cells aren't passing directly over me, according to the weather map. It's still gonna be another long night's vigil into tomorrow afternoon, I fear. Again. I don't want the golfball-sized hail that's come down south and west, either -- I knew there was a reason I didn't put the plants in the garden even though the ground had finally dried out enough to do it this week! Better log off. :/

NARF
NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 26 2011, 10:53pm

Post #23 of 38 (169 views)
Shortcut
*checks weather radar* [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh no - I don't like seeing all that red in your area! Unsure Is everything okay?

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 27 2011, 1:59am

Post #24 of 38 (167 views)
Shortcut
Hey! Don't stop there! [In reply to] Can't Post

C'mon, Professor, I want to learn more about Belladonna Took - and what it was, that made her so "fabulous", and why she and her sisters were "remarkable"!

Oh, he's such a tease...! Laugh

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 27 2011, 2:36am

Post #25 of 38 (171 views)
Shortcut
I'm watching the weather over there [In reply to] Can't Post

and it's red from top to bottom! Watch out for the hail and debris!!! Have you got a helmet? *sends prayers*

sample sample

Unused Scenes

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.