The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Gaming and Collecting:
Turbine releases new LOTRO Update 3 screens! Lost Legends of Eriador

News From Bree
spymaster@theonering.net

May 17 2011, 11:25am

Post #1 of 18 (786 views)
Shortcut
Turbine releases new LOTRO Update 3 screens! Lost Legends of Eriador Can't Post

Today, Turbine has released the first batch of screenshots from the latest content update for The Lord of the Rings Online (LOTRO), Update 3: Lost Legends of Eriador, which will launch on Monday, May 23rd.

Separately, Turbine will be at E3 in a few weeks providing first looks for media at the upcoming Rise of Isengard expansion for LOTRO! Let me know if you are attending and we can set up an appointment for you to meet with the team!

The Lord of the Rings Online, Update 3: Lost Legends of Eriador

[gallery]

The challenges continue in Update 3: Lost Legends of Eriador! Update 3 brings two new 3-player instances and two new skirmishes! Plus, a host of new items in the LOTRO store will grant you the necessities you need to defend the good folk of Middle-earth.

Two New 3-Player Instances

· Halls of Night: Level 40-65 - This story draws from the tales of Frodo, Sam, Merry and Pippin and their experiences within the Barrow-downs. Nightmare, an ancient Barrow-wight, has trapped your spirit within his mysterious dreamscape. To wake you must battle against the evil that haunts this dream realm, or risk sleeping forever!

· Inn of the Forsaken: Level 20-65 - Tales have spread across Bree and the Lonelands of the noises that fill the Forsaken Inn when the moon is high. Travelers tell stories of a stolen ruby necklace hidden within a maze of twisted caves and protected by traps, riddles, guardians who never sleep, and a ship marooned deep underground.

Two New Skirmishes

· Attack at Dawn: Level 30-65 - Esteldín has long been a hidden training ground for Rangers and Free People against Angmar. It is a site the enemy has been desperate to discover and stamp out. While many scouts have been stopped, a lone goblin has learned the location of Esteldín and reported it to his masters. You must venture into the hills of Dol Dinen, and confront the attacking force before it can threaten the sanctity of Esteldín.

· Icy Crevasse: Level 40-65 - With the aid of the Gauradan and Dourhands, Angmar is planning its next attack! By funneling icy winds through the great Forochel crevasse and down into Evendim, they plan to freeze the lake and march straight through Tinnudir to Annúminas. You must head to the frozen North and stop this sorcerer, before the chill winds freeze everything.

New in the LOTRO Store

· More Slots! - Two new Cosmetic Outfits slots are available up to a total of five slots

· Reset your Skirmish Marks! - Using this scroll will refund all skirmish marks you have spent on skirmish traits.

· Get more Criticals at the relic forge! - The Scroll of Combination increases your 'Critical Success' chance to 25% while combining relics at the relic forge.

· And other updates:

The skirmish Reconnaissance Report now lasts 60 minutes instead of 15! Try the new Combat Run Speed Boost, and sprint while in combat!

acheron
Gondor

May 17 2011, 5:07pm

Post #2 of 18 (559 views)
Shortcut
Looks interesting [In reply to] Can't Post

We'll have to see if we can get 3 of us together to try the new instances.

BTW, I obtained a new decoration for the kin house last night. Haven't put it up yet but I will try to find a spot for it tonight sometime. Once it's up you should stop by and take a look. Cool

For instance, on the planet Earth, man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much -- the wheel, New York, wars, and so on -- while all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man, for precisely the same reasons. -- Douglas Adams

RosieLass
Valinor

May 17 2011, 6:01pm

Post #3 of 18 (566 views)
Shortcut
I saw you were in Carn Dum last night. [In reply to] Can't Post

I logged into one of my non-kin noob-toons for a few minutes to check the vault, and saw Alaraman on my friend list. (I didn't stay long, though, because I was falling asleep at my desk.)

Isn't Carn Dum such a fun place? Unimpressed

It is always those with the fewest sensible things to say who make the loudest noise in saying them. --Precious Ramotswe (Alexander McCall Smith)

acheron
Gondor

May 17 2011, 6:15pm

Post #4 of 18 (557 views)
Shortcut
Yes, last night... and, uh, this morning. [In reply to] Can't Post

I was there quite a long time.... Wink My wife woke up at 3:30am to come see where I was. ("I'll be in bed in a few minutes; we've almost got Mordirith!") So I was a bit tired coming to work today.

Anyway, I thought it was fun since this was my first time there -- and really my first major instance past GA -- but I also don't plan to go back. Maybe if the alts get that high I'd go again with them, but I'm not going to be grinding the deeds or anything. Fortunately I hit all 3 of my class items (the 4th is in Urugarth), plus killing every boss for the title/virtue, plus scoring the mirror decoration I alluded to (I was rolling well!), so I have no reason to go back other than if I really wanted any of the other deeds.

For instance, on the planet Earth, man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much -- the wheel, New York, wars, and so on -- while all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man, for precisely the same reasons. -- Douglas Adams

RosieLass
Valinor

May 17 2011, 6:29pm

Post #5 of 18 (539 views)
Shortcut
You can go back and finish the deeds when you hit lvl 65. [In reply to] Can't Post

The rest are just slayer deeds that don't involve big bosses (I think).

And if you roll more alts, you can always get the class items with skirmish points.

I hate Carn Dum and Urugarth. I'm not a big instance fan, to start with, and it bugs me that a class quest is mandatory full fellowship. (I've heard of one or two people who can solo the class items, but they're really, really good [and they're not doing it on level]. Your average player? Not a chance.) That means that not only do you have to find a group to do the quest with you, you have to be lucky and roll right, or make it clear to everyone what you need so that they don't roll on it, too. They ought to program the thing so that the class item drops enough for EVERYONE who needs it to get one.

It is always those with the fewest sensible things to say who make the loudest noise in saying them. --Precious Ramotswe (Alexander McCall Smith)

(This post was edited by RosieLass on May 17 2011, 6:30pm)

acheron
Gondor

May 17 2011, 7:38pm

Post #6 of 18 (546 views)
Shortcut
It's definitely an "old-fashioned" game mechanic. [In reply to] Can't Post

I.e. pre-Moria expansion, and even I would argue "designed at release". At release, there were just the 8 books, and there was no Rift or Helegrod or whatever else, so CD was the culmination of the game, with the class quest and trait as the big final reward for completing "everything". Even as the world expanded, and they added Annuminas, and the raids, and Forochel (my first time around LOTRO I was playing at the time Forochel was released), the level cap was still 50, and CD still had a sense of finality I guess, even if you could improve your equipment past it.

Now that level 50 isn't even a speed bump, it does seem to be a lot of work and randomness for something that is pretty strongly emphasized. I wouldn't be surprised if it was eased up some more in the future, even more than the selling class items for skirmish marks. Maybe increasing the drops like you said, or something else.

(Yeah, I think the other deeds are just slayer deeds, if I were so inclined.)

RosieLass
Valinor

May 17 2011, 8:13pm

Post #7 of 18 (757 views)
Shortcut
That's true. I started with Moria. [In reply to] Can't Post

And level cap 55. So sometimes I have a hard time remembering that Angmar used to be all there was.

It kind of explains the absurd Vol. I epic plot line, at least as far as why it ends where it does. But it makes the whole absurdness of why they took it in that direction in the first place all the more inexplicable. In my opinion, at least. I mean, the epic starts out following Frodo's quest, but then sidetracks into the Laerdan/Narmeleth/Mordrambor silliness that seems to come out of nowhere.

reags
Rivendell

May 19 2011, 2:31am

Post #8 of 18 (609 views)
Shortcut
Ahhhhhhhh [In reply to] Can't Post

Dang I need to NOT read these LOTRO threads as it reminds me of why I forced myself to quit due to addiction!!

:(

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson."

acheron
Gondor

May 19 2011, 1:55pm

Post #9 of 18 (504 views)
Shortcut
come join us! [In reply to] Can't Post

You can't hold out forever! Sly

RosieLass
Valinor

May 19 2011, 3:34pm

Post #10 of 18 (527 views)
Shortcut
Resistance is futile! [In reply to] Can't Post

You will be assimilated. CrazyLaugh

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

May 19 2011, 3:50pm

Post #11 of 18 (518 views)
Shortcut
Ah, just set yourself an allotted number of hours a week [In reply to] Can't Post

If you're at like, 'no more than twenty hours'... and end up spending eight in one day... then you have twelve for the rest of the week. Once you hit 20, don't even touch the game until next week :P

My LiveJournal ~ My artwork and photography

NARF since age 8, when I refused to read the Hobbit because the cover looked boring and icky.

ihs
The Shire

May 19 2011, 6:36pm

Post #12 of 18 (520 views)
Shortcut
Moria Level Cap [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
And level cap 55

Just to clarify, the cap was 60 after Moria came out. Smile

I started when Moria came out as well, and have been in CD/Uru a handful of times with kinmates. I found it enjoyable the first couple times, but very dreary after that.

RosieLass
Valinor

May 19 2011, 8:42pm

Post #13 of 18 (508 views)
Shortcut
Really? I thought it bumped to 60 with Lothlorien? // [In reply to] Can't Post

ihs
The Shire

May 20 2011, 12:46pm

Post #14 of 18 (507 views)
Shortcut
... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Really? I thought it bumped to 60 with Lothlorien?

Yes, it went to 60 with the release of Moria in November '08. Lothlorien came a few months later (I want to say March '09, though I could be off), and there was no change to level cap at that time. It then bumped to 65 when Mirkwood released in December '09, and will go to 75 with Isengard this fall.

RosieLass
Valinor

May 20 2011, 3:26pm

Post #15 of 18 (587 views)
Shortcut
Isengard must be huge, if they're bumping it to 75! [In reply to] Can't Post

Although there is a truckload of stuff in Enedwaith that I haven't done yet on my 65s, and maybe they're taking that into consideration, too.

reags
Rivendell

May 21 2011, 4:09pm

Post #16 of 18 (583 views)
Shortcut
I wish! [In reply to] Can't Post

I totally lose self control when it comes to LOTRO...actually got to the stage where back during my uni holidays I slept US hours (I'm in Sydney) and averaged around 12-14hrs a day. Guess it's in my nature to aim to be the best on the server which is tough to shake off.

So I think I'll have to live my LOTRO dreams through you guys as if I went back I know I'll be waving life goodbye Tongue

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson."

macfalk
Valinor

May 22 2011, 5:06am

Post #17 of 18 (1088 views)
Shortcut
Turbine/Codemasters merge about a week left [In reply to] Can't Post

Should be interesting.

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

acheron
Gondor

May 26 2011, 1:52pm

Post #18 of 18 (572 views)
Shortcut
Turbine's Update 3 unified the client in preparation [In reply to] Can't Post

So we can run it in French or German now, and it will be able to connect to any server once they do the move. I believe they're waiting on Update 3 for the EU clients until after the move?

Apparently there have been some issues with the new update 3 instances, I think they've been disabled. The new skirmishes are still up though. (and they are HARD)

I've been reading a bit about the "RP server" things they're doing, with Laurelin ("RP enforced") vs Landroval ("RP encouraged", which as far as I can tell doesn't mean anything). While I'm not an RP-er, sometimes I'd kind of appreciate the stricter naming policy they plan to enforce on Laurelin. (not that I don't love the name "Legalize Athelas"... Wink)

Anyway, macfalk, hope to see you on Landroval with us when you can join. Smile

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.