The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: TORn Moots & Other Events:
2 Minute Trailer for LOTR Ex 3-Night Event

News From Bree
spymaster@theonering.net

May 12 2011, 6:42am

Post #1 of 12 (2028 views)
Shortcut
2 Minute Trailer for LOTR Ex 3-Night Event Can't Post

We've got another special update for you about the upcoming The Lord of the Rings Extended Edition 3-Night Event. If you weren't excited by the 30 second spot we shared last week, take a gander at this 2 minute spot! And if that doesn't make you want to join fellow fans on three Tuesday nights in June, we're not sure what will! [Buy Tickets] If you are unlucky enough to not be near a theater (like me!) then we'll just have to wait for the LOTR Ex on Blu-Ray, June 28th. New theaters are still being added, so don't give up hope just yet! [Pre-Order Blu-Ray]

weaver
Half-elven

May 12 2011, 2:30pm

Post #2 of 12 (926 views)
Shortcut
**is depressed** [In reply to] Can't Post

No theater showings anywhere near me, alas. I even emailed someone at the chain that runs the theaters closest to me to see if they could get in on this, but no luck so far!

I am glad to see this happening, though and happy for all of you who are able to go...Enjoy yourselves immensely!

Weaver

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

May 12 2011, 4:41pm

Post #3 of 12 (911 views)
Shortcut
Requiem For a Dream: #1 Overused Theme Ever [In reply to] Can't Post

Where was this trailer produced? I can't imagine it's an actual studio effort. Any trailer which chooses to use Requiem For a Dream, now the most cliché'd trailer music ever, over Howard Shore's beautiful score for the Lord of the Rings, must be the work of amateurs who haven't caught on to how this music actually makes things laughable. On its own, Requiem For A Dream, was a nice piece of dramatic music. But it has become so universally overused that it cheapens anything it touches like an unimaginative plastic knock-off of a masterpiece.

Sorry for the rant on a post made for an excellent purpose. But the Emperor's clothes are off for Requiem For a Dream. It makes me sad to see it used for LOTR.

(This post was edited by JWPlatt on May 12 2011, 4:46pm)

Magpie
Immortal

May 12 2011, 4:52pm

Post #4 of 12 (891 views)
Shortcut
well.. [In reply to] Can't Post

It was first used (in this trailer mix incarnation) for TTT. That is... TTT was the first use of this mix of trailer music and it was even renamed (in this incarnation) 'Requiem for a Trailer'. So it might be overused but it is highly associated with LOTR. In fact, if someone is asking about trailer music for LOTR, they are most likely asking about Requiem for a Dream/Trailer. Second most asked for LOTR trailers: Gothic Dream. Third most asked: the Gondor/Epicalypse mix for ROTK and the Super Trailer.

LOTR soundtrack website
magpie avatar gallery ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

May 12 2011, 5:08pm

Post #5 of 12 (901 views)
Shortcut
Freudian Trailer [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
... it was even renamed (in this incarnation) 'Requiem for a Trailer'. So it might be overused but it is highly associated with LOTR.

Heh, that's Requiem for a Tower. And it's associated with just about anything now. It would be nice if it were a requiem, or memorial to the death, of its use in trailers.

Magpie
Immortal

May 12 2011, 8:50pm

Post #6 of 12 (862 views)
Shortcut
lol... that's what I get for posting on my lunch break [In reply to] Can't Post

and eating with one hand while typing. Not that I mistyped... I just mis-spoke... so to speak.

LOTR soundtrack website
magpie avatar gallery ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Wraith Buster
Gondor

May 13 2011, 10:49pm

Post #7 of 12 (792 views)
Shortcut
When we went to the theater the other day [In reply to] Can't Post

I looked up and saw that playing. I just need to start saving the whole time so I can go 10 or 15 times. We wants it. We needs it.Smile

Pedich Edhellen? Lau? Hria cuilë.

End of line.

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

May 14 2011, 12:47am

Post #8 of 12 (981 views)
Shortcut
Overused, yes... [In reply to] Can't Post

But man I still love that song to death.

My LiveJournal ~ My artwork and photography

NARF since age 8, when I refused to read the Hobbit because the cover looked boring and icky.

the_argonath
Lorien

May 16 2011, 10:31pm

Post #9 of 12 (863 views)
Shortcut
I'd give... [In reply to] Can't Post

My back teeth to see this again in the cinema... alas I live in the UK so not going to happen. I'm just hoping for a screening or two come TH release time
*crosses fingers, toes etc...*

Still loving requiem for a dream still, despite it's over-use Smile

~*Haudh-en-Ndengin the Elves named it, the Hill of Slain, and Haugh-en-Nirnaeth, the Hill of tears... the earth beneath which the swords of the Eldar and the Edain crumbled into rust*~

Shewhothoughtnot

May 17 2011, 10:15pm

Post #10 of 12 (770 views)
Shortcut
Question ????? [In reply to] Can't Post

Do you have to buy the tickets ahead of time or can you just go and thearter at that day? I am really looking foward to seeing it.BTW My brother used to play Requiem in a dream till Icouldn't stand listening to it.

..."Much that once was is now, lost for none now live who remember..." - I gues elves get Alzhiemer's too

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 18 2011, 1:57am

Post #11 of 12 (771 views)
Shortcut
Yes - IF your local showing doesn't sell out in advance. [In reply to] Can't Post

These special events are usually only on one screen, unlike a regular release where they'll add showings if they get a large amount of pre-sold tickets. Buying in advance is the only way to be certain of getting tickets.

Silverlode

"Of all faces those of our familiares are the ones both most difficult to play fantastic tricks with, and most difficult really to see with fresh attention. They have become like the things which once attracted us by their glitter, or their colour, or their shape, and we laid hands on them, and then locked them in our hoard, acquired them, and acquiring ceased to look at them.
Creative fantasy, because it is mainly trying to do something else [make something new], may open your hoard and let all the locked things fly away like cage-birds. The gems all turn into flowers or flames, and you will be warned that all you had (or knew) was dangerous and potent, not really effectively chained, free and wild; no more yours than they were you."
-On Fairy Stories

Leviathan's Bane
Rivendell

May 18 2011, 6:39pm

Post #12 of 12 (941 views)
Shortcut
Going!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I missed out on the original screenings of these, so I'm definitely going! AND the fact that they're Extended Edition is like icing on the three-layered cake. Laugh On the odd chance that someone here on TORn is going to see it at the same theater as me, is there anyone going who lives in the South East?

"So knights are mythical!" said the younger and less experienced dragons. "We always thought so."

- J.R.R. Tolkien, "Farmer Giles of Ham"

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.