Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
How do you read the discussion boards?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: How do you read the discussion boards?
All threaded all the time
Mostly threaded, sometimes flat
50/50
Mostly flat, sometimes threaded
All flat all the time
View Results (57 votes)

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

May 11 2011, 7:44pm

Post #1 of 28 (459 views)
Shortcut
How do you read the discussion boards? Can't Post

Following on from the discussion on the Feedback board, tell us how you read the discussion threads.

GAndyalf
Valinor

May 11 2011, 7:49pm

Post #2 of 28 (203 views)
Shortcut
Flat just doesn't do it for me... [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe that's a guy thing? I KEED! I KEED! ShockedLaugh

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

May 11 2011, 7:51pm

Post #3 of 28 (221 views)
Shortcut
Mostly threaded [In reply to] Can't Post

My default is set for expanded and threaded, but for more straightforward posts without a lot of subthreads I'll switch to flat so I can read through more at a time (unless I'm reading on my cell phone where threaded mode can be a lifesaver). I like expanded mode because I can see where the new posts are in a thread before opening them so that I don't have to read through subthreads that don't interest me. And I like threaded mode because I do FAR less backtracking to remember who was replying to whom.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

May 11 2011, 7:53pm

Post #4 of 28 (248 views)
Shortcut
It's the speed of flat mode that does it for me. [In reply to] Can't Post

I usually switch to threaded only in monster threads where I want to follow a side-discussion closely.

What I *really* like is having the flexibility to switch between the two modes.

macfalk
Valinor

May 11 2011, 8:09pm

Post #5 of 28 (210 views)
Shortcut
100% flat: [In reply to] Can't Post

I've never understood the benefit with threaded - it's too much clicking for me, in a thread with 200 posts, that means you're going to have to click 200 times if you want to read all posts, instead of barely no clicks at all reading flat. And if in case you dont want to read a post, one can just scroll it away.

(This post was edited by macfalk on May 11 2011, 8:09pm)

the_argonath
Lorien

May 11 2011, 8:33pm

Post #6 of 28 (175 views)
Shortcut
Exactly!! [In reply to] Can't Post

And it makes it much easier to follow a conversation because you can see it layed out in front of you...

RosieLass
Valinor

May 11 2011, 8:55pm

Post #7 of 28 (181 views)
Shortcut
Whichever way they're set up. [In reply to] Can't Post

I really don't have a preference.

I tend to avoid really long threads, in either format, anyway.

Gimli'sBox
Gondor

May 11 2011, 9:10pm

Post #8 of 28 (188 views)
Shortcut
I like flat the best. If I'm totally confused [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll check it threaded. But mostly I'll try [in reply to] before clicking threaded. To me, flat is the best because if I get on a thread I want to read it all and like macfalk don't see the point in multipule clicks.

RosieLass
Valinor

May 11 2011, 9:19pm

Post #9 of 28 (172 views)
Shortcut
My response is not TORn-specific. :) [In reply to] Can't Post

I realized after I'd posted that it would probably sound a little incoherent, if only TORn is under consideration. Cool

KAOS82
Rohan

May 11 2011, 9:20pm

Post #10 of 28 (179 views)
Shortcut
flat 80% threaded 20% [In reply to] Can't Post

I like to know everyone's opinion but sometimes I'm too lazy and in long 3ds I just read the first posts, let's say it's a matter of time...Tongue

Rosie-with-the-ribbons
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 12 2011, 12:26am

Post #11 of 28 (200 views)
Shortcut
Mostly flat [In reply to] Can't Post

Because I just want to read it all. When I get confused about a reply I click on the "in reply to". But if there are too many sub-threads/discussions going on I switch to Threaded for that topic, but go back to flat when I've finished reading that.

Donry
Tol Eressea

May 12 2011, 2:14am

Post #12 of 28 (182 views)
Shortcut
Mostly flat... [In reply to] Can't Post

but sometimes threaded....

sevilodorf
Gondor

May 12 2011, 3:15am

Post #13 of 28 (145 views)
Shortcut
hmmm [In reply to] Can't Post

Initial view when I open a forum is threaded.... that gives me enough of an idea for who is responding to who (whom?) then I open and use the flat mode as it's faster.

Wraith Buster
Gondor

May 12 2011, 12:56pm

Post #14 of 28 (133 views)
Shortcut
Mostly flat, sometimes threaded// [In reply to] Can't Post

Patty
Immortal

May 12 2011, 1:09pm

Post #15 of 28 (148 views)
Shortcut
Flat. I tend to forget there is a threaded mode. [In reply to] Can't Post

But then, I do miss a lot of posts, I know.

Idril Celebrindal
Tol Eressea

May 12 2011, 1:46pm

Post #16 of 28 (229 views)
Shortcut
Threaded [In reply to] Can't Post

I can follow the gist of the discussion better, especially for long threads.

I do use flat occasionally, mainly for short threads.

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

May 12 2011, 3:27pm

Post #17 of 28 (145 views)
Shortcut
Depends on the discussion [In reply to] Can't Post

e.g. Fiesta is a nightmare if you try to read it flat, but other discussions flat is much quicker to use if you want to read it all. For subthreads, going back to threaded is easier.

Darkstone
Immortal

May 12 2011, 6:19pm

Post #18 of 28 (190 views)
Shortcut
99.9999....(ad infinitum) % threaded. [In reply to] Can't Post

The only time I have it flat is when I accidentally click the wrong button. I click it back to threaded as fast as I can.

I've been on too many totally confusing flat mode forums. In comparison I find just about all threaded mode forums very straightforward and easily understandable.

macfalk
Valinor

May 12 2011, 6:26pm

Post #19 of 28 (144 views)
Shortcut
I admire anybody who understands how threaded works: [In reply to] Can't Post

I tried it today because of the discussion and I still don't get the use of it or how it's structured... and a click for each time you read a post it takes several of unnecesary seconds for it to load! Maybe i'm just one step behind on this thing or something Cool

(This post was edited by macfalk on May 12 2011, 6:26pm)

GAndyalf
Valinor

May 12 2011, 6:41pm

Post #20 of 28 (163 views)
Shortcut
I can't begin to fathom... [In reply to] Can't Post

How you can keep anything straight in flat mode. It takes my system less than a second to load each reply and I do not see the point of having "everyone talk at once" rather than allow each speaker my attention individually.

Darkstone
Immortal

May 12 2011, 6:49pm

Post #21 of 28 (141 views)
Shortcut
That's strange [In reply to] Can't Post

Usually it's you young folk who catch on quick while us old folk are still scratching our heads over new fangled ways of doing things.

I tried it today because of the discussion and I still don't get the use of it or how it's structured...

That''s why our nice staff gave us choices! Whatever works for you and whatever works for me! It's total anarchy!

...and a click for each time you read a post it takes several of unnecesary seconds for it to load!

That's also strange. Mine usually loads up immediately.

Finding Frodo
Tol Eressea

May 13 2011, 4:10am

Post #22 of 28 (140 views)
Shortcut
Same here on both points// [In reply to] Can't Post

Elizabeth
Valinor

May 13 2011, 7:14am

Post #23 of 28 (126 views)
Shortcut
If you keep up with the boards... [In reply to] Can't Post

you're unlikely to encounter a long thread you haven't read any of. In threaded mode, you can look at a thread you're interested in, see who has commented (and, ideally, they've entered useful subjects), and select the responses you haven't read from people whose opinions you're interested in. And you can see the sub-threads that have developed, some of which may interest you and some not. So, typically I end up clicking on the one, two, or three messages I haven't read yet and which interest me. Not too much clicking at all, and a lot more control.

I find it impossible to look at a thread in flat mode and see how the conversation is progressing.

(This post was edited by Elizabeth on May 13 2011, 7:15am)

macfalk
Valinor

May 13 2011, 9:44am

Post #24 of 28 (127 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

I find it impossible to look at a thread in flat mode and see how the conversation is progressing.

That's why the "In reply to" button exists! Cool For instance, that is how I found that you were replying to me and not just anyone - that magic button which always leads to whom the person is replying to. Works every time!

batik
Tol Eressea

May 13 2011, 8:10pm

Post #25 of 28 (112 views)
Shortcut
mostly flat, sometimes threaded [In reply to] Can't Post

Reading in threaded here--in the pollantir...I can make sense of that. Likewise the Moots section. For RR and other areas...flat all the way. The clicking back and forth is way too distracting for me when trying to keep up with a chapter discussion. I use the "in reply to" feature if I am in doubt about that.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.