Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Ian McKellen has posted a new blog entry called "THE HOBBIT, 2 Elves and another Wizard"...
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

mona2505

May 10 2011, 11:12am

Post #1 of 87 (4919 views)
Shortcut
Ian McKellen has posted a new blog entry called "THE HOBBIT, 2 Elves and another Wizard"... Can't Post

For everybody interested, here's the link... http://www.mckellen.com/cinema/hobbit-movie/110510.htm

Steerpike
Bree

May 10 2011, 11:24am

Post #2 of 87 (2309 views)
Shortcut
JESUS CHRIST!!! That first line gave me a heart attack. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Nocalas
The Shire

May 10 2011, 11:43am

Post #3 of 87 (2226 views)
Shortcut
Me too [In reply to] Can't Post

but the rest was a great read. Always very informed is Sir Ian. Wish he had a Christopher Lee update too though!

Maiarmike
Grey Havens

May 10 2011, 11:45am

Post #4 of 87 (2209 views)
Shortcut
Ha! You aren't the only one! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's great to hear that Bret has an official role in the film, and that Sylvester is prepping his costume and makeup now. I still wonder when Sir Christopher will be involved in the action?

"I'm just a happy camper! Rockin' and a-rollin!"

Ruijor
Rohan

May 10 2011, 12:01pm

Post #5 of 87 (2231 views)
Shortcut
You should be aware of Sir Ian´s sense of humour by now... [In reply to] Can't Post

Great update. We learn more from him than from anywhere else! Bless you man! Cool

Pipe Dream
Gondor

May 10 2011, 12:18pm

Post #6 of 87 (2131 views)
Shortcut
Finally! [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile I was beginning to think Gandalf no longer wanted to speak to lesser beings. This makes me even more excited for PJ's 20 answers and/or his next video.

"There is a long road yet," said Gandalf. "But it is the last road," said Bilbo.

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

May 10 2011, 12:25pm

Post #7 of 87 (2132 views)
Shortcut
Seems to me that Ian might have been a tad busy just lately. [In reply to] Can't Post

Peter is probably a little busy also.

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

Finrod
Rohan

May 10 2011, 12:33pm

Post #8 of 87 (2134 views)
Shortcut
O Pilgrim Grey! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Great update. We learn more from him than from anywhere else! Bless you man! Cool

Dear Ian is keeping in character, for it was ever the mission of the Grey Wanderer to bring tidings of rekindled hope to dwellers of distant lands:
“befriending all in time of need. Warm and eager was his spririt... Merry he could be, and kindly to the young and simple, and yet quick at times to sharp speech and the rebuking of folly; but he was not proud, and sought neither power nor praise, and thus far and wide he was beloved among all those that were not themselves proud.”
As it is in verse recounted:

Wilt thou learn the lore        that was long secret
of the Five that came        from a far country?
Only one returned.        Others never again
under Men’s dominion        and the Doom cometh.
How has thou heard it:        the hidden counsel
of the Lord of the West        in the land of Aman?

or, in a more modern style:

From Wilderland to Western shore
from northern waste to southern hill,
through dragon-lair and hidden door
and darkling woods he walked at will.

With Dwarf and Hobbit, Elves and Men,
with mortal and immortal folk,
with bird on bough and beast in den,
in their own secret tongues he spoke.

I just love an actor who lives his part. :)

…all eyes looked upon the ring; for he held it now aloft, and the green jewels gleamed there that the Noldor had devised in Valinor. For this ring was like to twin serpents, whose eyes were emeralds, and their heads met beneath a crown of golden flowers, that the one upheld and the other devoured; that was the badge of Finarfin and his house.
The Silmarillion, pp 150-151
while Felagund laughs beneath the trees
in Valinor and comes no more
to this grey world of tears and war.
The Lays of Beleriand, p 311

(This post was edited by Finrod on May 10 2011, 12:35pm)

Silmaril
Rohan

May 10 2011, 1:14pm

Post #9 of 87 (2068 views)
Shortcut
good that mckellen is still there for news! [In reply to] Can't Post

beside PJs page.

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

May 10 2011, 2:14pm

Post #10 of 87 (2065 views)
Shortcut
LOL Steerpike! [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah, that was naughty of Sir Ian, wasn't it? Tongue

So, Lindir will NOT be a "major" character according to Ian, seen only in Rivendell...I should probably inject that this juncture that I never tire of being wrong! Cool

Also, sounds as if Radagast will mostly serve as a "sidekick" of Gandalf's...or not.

I would rather be watching Peter Jackson's "The Hobbit" and Ridley Scott's "Prometheus"...it's going to be a long few years.

rings7
Rohan

May 10 2011, 2:21pm

Post #11 of 87 (2086 views)
Shortcut
Could someone please [In reply to] Can't Post

explain me the "Frodo is great, who is that" thing? Is that a line from the movie that i really don't remember? Unsure

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

May 10 2011, 2:22pm

Post #12 of 87 (2062 views)
Shortcut
It's from the Extended Edition... [In reply to] Can't Post

when Sauron makes a brief appearance at the Council of Elrond and takes an instant liking to Bret's character!

Actually, no, it's a not a line from the film at all. It's an internet phenomenon which started with a trio of fan girls on the interweb and got wildly out of hand. Angelic

I would rather be watching Peter Jackson's "The Hobbit" and Ridley Scott's "Prometheus"...it's going to be a long few years.

rings7
Rohan

May 10 2011, 2:25pm

Post #13 of 87 (2006 views)
Shortcut
You almost got me [In reply to] Can't Post

with the first sentence, i was gonna run to my shelf and grab the EE to see that scene i thought missed.CrazySly

Symbelmine
Rohan

May 10 2011, 3:10pm

Post #14 of 87 (1984 views)
Shortcut
Where did Ian say Lindir will be seen in Rivendell only? [In reply to] Can't Post

(This post was edited by Symbelmine on May 10 2011, 3:10pm)

chrismortega
Bree

May 10 2011, 3:15pm

Post #15 of 87 (2015 views)
Shortcut
FIGWIT [In reply to] Can't Post

The line "Frodo is great, who is that" is something that was popularized a little while after fellowship came out. I don't remember the details exactly, but it started out as a quote from a girl watching fellowship, during the council of elrond, who said "frodo is gre... WHO IS THAT!" She was apparently struck by the good looks of one of the elves present at the council, who turned out to be none other than one half of the incredible duo of Flight of the Conchords, Bret McKenzie. Since the elf didn't have a name yet they simply abbreviated Frodo is great who is that in to FIGWIT. I've heard that there's all sorts of fan fiction about him and stuff. Pretty funny.

Actually here's some great background on it: http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/figwit

"NEVER TRUST AN ELF!"

(This post was edited by chrismortega on May 10 2011, 3:17pm)

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 10 2011, 3:16pm

Post #16 of 87 (1982 views)
Shortcut
The "official" Figwit website is complete fun! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's called FigwitLives.net. Enjoy! Wink

Patty
Immortal

May 10 2011, 3:29pm

Post #17 of 87 (1940 views)
Shortcut
Earl, you have shown me to a link... [In reply to] Can't Post

which informs me that there was actually a Figwit action figure available. To know that this exists and I can't buy it is intolerable.Frown

Seriously--I'm constantly amazed at the stuff that this fandom has put out and I wasn't even aware.

Permanent address: Into the West

Must. Have. The Precious! Give us the LotR EE Blu-ray Ultimate Box Set!

dormouse
Half-elven

May 10 2011, 4:04pm

Post #18 of 87 (1931 views)
Shortcut
It doesn't, really.... [In reply to] Can't Post

... or at least, it does if you choose to take it that way. He says "Now he is briefly back in Rivendell as a senior official at Elrond's Court..." which might that he is only making a brief appearance and it's in Rivendell, or it might mean that his appearance in Rivendell will be brief - but that doesn't rule out his appearing somewhere else. Take your pick.... Wink

Symbelmine
Rohan

May 10 2011, 4:10pm

Post #19 of 87 (1921 views)
Shortcut
Can briefly back...also mean [In reply to] Can't Post

he just joined recently so he's been in Rivendell for a short time? I'm not very good at English so I don't know exact meaning of some words.

rings7
Rohan

May 10 2011, 4:14pm

Post #20 of 87 (1891 views)
Shortcut
Thank you so much! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's unbelieveable how big one comment became. Till the point of actors acknowledging it.

Bound
Rohan

May 10 2011, 4:18pm

Post #21 of 87 (1923 views)
Shortcut
Great read... [In reply to] Can't Post

I love Mckellan's blog. There's something fresh and honest and in your face. He gives out facts in a kinda of black and white way. I figure he's allowed post about these things because they aren't exactly "news". Its more logistics... still nice to have an idea of what is currently happening.

The man in black fled across the desert and the gunslinger followed

Patty
Immortal

May 10 2011, 4:57pm

Post #22 of 87 (1864 views)
Shortcut
It's because we are such big fans that we [In reply to] Can't Post

over analyze every possible permutation of every possible word. It's what we DO!Cool

Permanent address: Into the West

Must. Have. The Precious! Give us the LotR EE Blu-ray Ultimate Box Set!

dormouse
Half-elven

May 10 2011, 6:06pm

Post #23 of 87 (1846 views)
Shortcut
I don't think so... [In reply to] Can't Post

... or at least, that would be an unusual way of using the word. there are other ways he would put it, I think, if that was what he meant.

Elizabeth
Half-elven

May 10 2011, 6:48pm

Post #24 of 87 (1800 views)
Shortcut
I believe it actually started on TORn. [In reply to] Can't Post

It was a tad before my time here, but I came to know one of the "fangirls" who started this, who posted here under the nick Roheryn. She met Bret when he was en route to the Edinburgh Festival, mentioned on that site.

Join us in the Reading Room for LotR The Two Towers, Book IV!

Elizabeth is the TORnsib formerly known as 'erather'

(This post was edited by Elizabeth on May 10 2011, 6:49pm)

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

May 10 2011, 7:15pm

Post #25 of 87 (1806 views)
Shortcut
From memory, [In reply to] Can't Post

(ha! Me and memory...), that was inDUHvidual with backup from Arwenelf.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.