The One Ring Forums: TheOneRing.net: Feedback:
Blecchh!!! Can a nice computer person perhaps help me with

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

May 9 2011, 1:03am

Post #1 of 17 (379 views)
Shortcut
Blecchh!!! Can a nice computer person perhaps help me with Can't Post

a text character problem I've had on TORn for ages (and now with Firefox 4.1 I'm having it everywhere)? I get little black diamonds with question marks in them instead of certain characters, like letters with tildes, and in copied text from people on these boards where you'd normally see an apostrophe or something. The new Firefox has also disabled my extended copy menu for copying in plain text, and I can't find a new one anywhere.(Grousegrousegrousegrousegrouse . . .Unsure)

Does anyone have any tips? What I've found on a couple of tech help boards has to do with character encoding, so I've tried every single "Western" option including the Mac one since that's what I have, and restarted Firefox each time, to no avail.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Ethel the Annoyed Crazy

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 9 2011, 1:12am

Post #2 of 17 (204 views)
Shortcut
The problem has been discussed here before. [In reply to] Can't Post

And I think you might find a read through this thread to be helpful, especially this post. It's definitely an encoding issue.

I hope that helps; if not, maybe one of our resident tech wizards can give more pointers. Smile

Silverlode

"Of all faces those of our familiares are the ones both most difficult to play fantastic tricks with, and most difficult really to see with fresh attention. They have become like the things which once attracted us by their glitter, or their colour, or their shape, and we laid hands on them, and then locked them in our hoard, acquired them, and acquiring ceased to look at them.
Creative fantasy, because it is mainly trying to do something else [make something new], may open your hoard and let all the locked things fly away like cage-birds. The gems all turn into flowers or flames, and you will be warned that all you had (or knew) was dangerous and potent, not really effectively chained, free and wild; no more yours than they were you."
-On Fairy Stories

Magpie
Immortal

May 9 2011, 2:27am

Post #3 of 17 (397 views)
Shortcut
I started having that problem when I upgraded to Firefox 3 [In reply to] Can't Post

and have spent many hours trying to fix it. I haven't been able to.

Sometimes, I open the page in IE (I have a FF add on that lets me do that with a right click) and that helps.

The thing that's odd is that the same page can give me problems on one visit but not the next.

Sorry for a totally unhelpful answer.

LOTR soundtrack website
magpie avatar gallery ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

(This post was edited by Magpie on May 9 2011, 2:28am)

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

May 9 2011, 5:11pm

Post #4 of 17 (188 views)
Shortcut
Thank you :) I tried the recommendations, but it still doesn't work. I even [In reply to] Can't Post

downloaded Chrome, which somebody recommended, but it's the same. Hopefully, someone out there knows something . . . Evil

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

May 9 2011, 5:15pm

Post #5 of 17 (183 views)
Shortcut
Yes, and it seems to be getting worse with the new Firefox. :/ [In reply to] Can't Post

I wish I hadn't upgraded to 4.1 because the "copy with plain text" and even the IE thing you mentioned won't work with this version. I'm going to keep messing with Chrome and see if I get anywhere. I'll let you know!Smile

Inferno
Superuser / Moderator

May 9 2011, 7:55pm

Post #6 of 17 (159 views)
Shortcut
Which encoding set are you using? / [In reply to] Can't Post

/

======================
Good night, tOR.Nados. Good work. Sleep well. I'll most likely delete you in the morning.
======================
Elcenia

Magpie
Immortal

May 9 2011, 8:18pm

Post #7 of 17 (188 views)
Shortcut
yeah... [In reply to] Can't Post

I upgraded to FF4 and immediately regretted it because my add-ons wouldn't work. Then I installed Chrome but struggled to find comparable add ons for it, as well. I finally dug around until I could find a version of FF3 I could reinstall and that's what I'm sticking with for awhile, anyhow.

For what it's worth, I regretted upgrading to FF3 because of this character issue and I had a long conversation here with - I think - Inferno about it.

I have looked at various threads on fixing this issue. I have tried all kinds of settings for encoding and fonts and nothing ... N O T H I N G ... works. And as I said earlier, I can visit a site and have the characters not display and then visit the same site later and they are displaying.

It bugs me because it makes it difficult to read and because it is ugly! :-/

LOTR soundtrack website

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

May 9 2011, 10:52pm

Post #8 of 17 (159 views)
Shortcut
I'm using [In reply to] Can't Post

Western (ISO-8859-1). I've got it on Times New Roman for the Serif setting and Arial for Sans-serif.

(Perhaps it's the Serif of Nottingham at work here!AngelicWink)

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

May 9 2011, 10:59pm

Post #9 of 17 (139 views)
Shortcut
Oh boy. :/ Where'd you get the old Firefox? [In reply to] Can't Post

And I wonder how well Firefox responds to direct complaints/suggestions? This is so very odd. Crazy

Inferno
Superuser / Moderator

May 9 2011, 11:06pm

Post #10 of 17 (172 views)
Shortcut
I haven't made the switch to FF 4 yet [In reply to] Can't Post

So I can't offer some specific options, other than suggesting trying some of the other character encodings and see what results you get. UTF-16, for instance, may work. If not, see if any of the others do.

When I upgrade, if you're still having trouble, I'll poke around a bit and see if I can figure it out. A reasonably quick google search showed that you weren't the only one having this problem, so there may be a patch soon as well.

Inferno.

======================
Good night, tOR.Nados. Good work. Sleep well. I'll most likely delete you in the morning.
======================
Elcenia

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

May 9 2011, 11:42pm

Post #11 of 17 (163 views)
Shortcut
Well, it seemed to work at first, and one problem page [In reply to] Can't Post

on the boards was fixed, but when I signed out and came back on, the boards displayed normally, but when I clicked on any post I got a white page with Chinese characters from top to bottom on it! I rechecked the code setting and it still said "UTF-16"! (Saruman at work . . .Crazy)

Magpie
Immortal

May 10 2011, 1:22am

Post #12 of 17 (180 views)
Shortcut
I googled for it [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not sure I could track it down now except to re-google it. I probably could dig the exe file out of my trash.

I did leave a message on some forum... I think it was Firefox's but I can't remember now. The problem is... there are lots of suggestions for fixing it... but none of them work for me.

LOTR soundtrack website

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

May 10 2011, 3:11am

Post #13 of 17 (170 views)
Shortcut
Don't worry--I'll find it (I thought maybe [In reply to] Can't Post

you found a "secret location"!Smile)

Altaira
Superuser

May 10 2011, 3:24am

Post #14 of 17 (246 views)
Shortcut
I just grin and ignore it [In reply to] Can't Post

Firefox is so much faster, and better in so many other ways for me, that I don't even see the little diamonds any longer (well, almost Laugh)..

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

Inferno
Superuser / Moderator

May 10 2011, 5:25pm

Post #15 of 17 (164 views)
Shortcut
I did a little more searching [In reply to] Can't Post

while waiting for an install to finish. Try doing the following.

1) Set your encoding back to Western (ISO-8859-1)
2) Disable Hardware Acceleration. (Instructions here: http://www.trishtech.com/internet/disable_hardware_acceleration_in_firefox_4.php )
3) Restart Firefox

Let me know if that fixes it. I'm kind of curious now. =)

Inferno.

======================
======================
Elcenia

(This post was edited by Inferno on May 10 2011, 5:29pm)

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

May 10 2011, 5:55pm

Post #16 of 17 (142 views)
Shortcut
Ha! Well it does seem to work on that one post that [In reply to] Can't Post

I keep testing. Thank you very much! Now I've got to track down some other posts to be sure (that Spanish Lesson website still has 'em though--the wierd diamonds Unsure). Maybe Magpie has some good examples from the reading room or something?SmileSmileSmile I've tried to look, but I can't remember the exact location of the problem ones (and if they're fixed I may never know--but that would be fine!SmileSmile)

ElanorTX
Tol Eressea

May 11 2011, 4:48am

Post #17 of 17 (213 views)
Shortcut
I've never had that problem with Firefox 3, but maybe [In reply to] Can't Post

I won't install 4 just yet. I never use IE for anything and in fact avoid MS as much as possible (well, my OS is Vista).

"I shall not wholly fail if anything can still grow fair in days to come."

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.