First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

macfalk
Valinor

May 8 2011, 7:50pm

Post #1 of 68 (3792 views)
Shortcut
Is The Hobbit board moving too fast? Can't Post

Thoughts?

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

May 8 2011, 8:11pm

Post #2 of 68 (3062 views)
Shortcut
Going nowhere fast? [In reply to] Can't Post

The only thing that will slow it down is a wealth of good topics.

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

taekotemple
Grey Havens

May 8 2011, 9:58pm

Post #3 of 68 (3104 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, I think so [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it doesn't help when people re-post topics they've already posted that have dropped off the first page. I don't know if we should sticky a few topics (like news relating to actors possibly being in the films) that always come up anyway. My only concern with that is that the first page could be covered in stickies after a while.

KAOS82
Rohan

May 8 2011, 11:29pm

Post #4 of 68 (2993 views)
Shortcut
well... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm here since 3-4 months and indeed I've noticed some doubled threads or similar ones
it's quite obvious that everyone wants to share his opinion but sometimes people tell the same things that other ones have just said so it could happen to find a "copy"
btw it's beautiful to read followers opinions, more posts more opurtunity to write in

TÚRIN TURAMBAR DAGNIR GLAURUNGA & NIENOR NÍNIEL

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 9 2011, 12:21am

Post #5 of 68 (3043 views)
Shortcut
What is 'too fast'? [In reply to] Can't Post

I hate to sound like an old codger (codgerette?) but, on OldTorn after the release of FOTR, Main used to go so fast that threads from just four hours back were falling off to page two. Have a look at Movie: Hobbit now and you'll see the oldest thread on page one dates to Wednesday last week.

Things are going to get a lot faster on the discussion boards when the Hobbit movies come out, so hold onto your hats.

(BTW the admins do remove duplicate threads where possible and encourage people to post within existing threads - specifically so that discussions aren't fragmented, and older threads aren't bumped to page two any sooner than necessary.)

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

May 9 2011, 1:07am

Post #6 of 68 (3003 views)
Shortcut
I was thinking the same thing [In reply to] Can't Post

Even after the ROTK EE had come out, threads on the Movie Board would drop off the first page within 48 hours. In fact, that's why SCOD's schedule was originally set to Monday Wednesday Friday: the Monday thread would be off the board by Wednesday and so on. And back in those days we couldn't reply to threads once they fell off page one.

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 9 2011, 1:22am

Post #7 of 68 (3050 views)
Shortcut
Yes... [In reply to] Can't Post

We don't want to have too many Stickies, especially because we've noticed that they tend to get ignored a lot. For those who view the boards expanded, stickies don't expand so it isn't obvious that there are new posts in them, and people tend not to even look at them after a while.

Even if we had a sticky for the most common topics, we'd still have a lot of people duplicating those topics in new threads. The Admins do our best to encourage people to look for and post in existing threads without being draconian in enforcement and scaring off newbies (who are the worst offenders in that regard, due to unfamiliarity with the boards and being too excited to look before posting), but it's one of those issues that is never really going to go away. And, like Ataahua said, it's only going to get busier.

Silverlode

"Of all faces those of our familiares are the ones both most difficult to play fantastic tricks with, and most difficult really to see with fresh attention. They have become like the things which once attracted us by their glitter, or their colour, or their shape, and we laid hands on them, and then locked them in our hoard, acquired them, and acquiring ceased to look at them.
Creative fantasy, because it is mainly trying to do something else [make something new], may open your hoard and let all the locked things fly away like cage-birds. The gems all turn into flowers or flames, and you will be warned that all you had (or knew) was dangerous and potent, not really effectively chained, free and wild; no more yours than they were you."
-On Fairy Stories

sador
Half-elven

May 9 2011, 5:55am

Post #8 of 68 (2958 views)
Shortcut
I love the title 'codgerette'. // [In reply to] Can't Post

"Would this Chapter have been as effective if it took place in the Forbidden Forest, or the Forbidden Cave, or the Forbidden Tower, or some other type of forbidden place?"
- weaver.

The weekly discussion of The Lord of the Rings is back. Join us in the Reading Room for The Forbidden Pool!

Gnomeo
The Shire

May 9 2011, 4:48pm

Post #9 of 68 (2960 views)
Shortcut
The modern way of doing it [In reply to] Can't Post

Wouldn't it be simpler, more functional and more convenient if the topics move automatically up and down according to the interest they generate? Like in almost all modern forums out there Tongue

Here you can't discuss a topic that's sunk into the back pages without creating a new one...

Bombadil
Half-elven

May 9 2011, 5:13pm

Post #10 of 68 (2954 views)
Shortcut
Yeah...I'm still confused... [In reply to] Can't Post

I try to post at the LongBottom page of a thread and then I end up somewhere in the Middle....Am I supposed to reply in Flat Mode or Treaded, or what?...I trying to be a good Citizen of TORn, but i'm messing up somehow? xoxoOldBombadil
p.s. Soryy for all the Bombadil/GolllumSpeak...but I thought it would be a good idea to Chime in from Gollum's point of View. "Just a little bit Fun"Wink

Bound
Rohan

May 9 2011, 5:31pm

Post #11 of 68 (2942 views)
Shortcut
Recently I've often feel overwhelmed... [In reply to] Can't Post

Coming on the boards, it terms of volume of posts and new topics. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, I understand that since the hobbit is now offically filming there is a huge increase of new people on the site, and news is coming in fast and heavy. I find myself just reading more often then posting...

The man in black fled across the desert and the gunslinger followed

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

May 9 2011, 5:51pm

Post #12 of 68 (2938 views)
Shortcut
Threads Not Bumped By New Posts [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Wouldn't it be simpler, more functional and more convenient if the topics move automatically up and down according to the interest they generate? Like in almost all modern forums out there Tongue

Here you can't discuss a topic that's sunk into the back pages without creating a new one...

I'm a recent arrival who wishes for that more sane choice of organization. As a recent arrivial, I am unaware of why the admins choose to not bump threads when they have new posts, but I did see a recent post from someone who said this was intentional. It must have made sense at the time, but it seems inexplicable to me now. I will only look as far into the thread pages as there are threads with new posts. And knowing that the last page of threads could have a new post does not alter my behavior. So instead of looking at a page or two of new or bumped threads, I only look at page 1 because I don't know if there are any new posts on page 2. So I don't bother to possibly waste my time. The policy does not work according to how humans expect or want things to work and is a bad UI.

Lunamoth
Rohan

May 9 2011, 6:02pm

Post #13 of 68 (2972 views)
Shortcut
In your personal settings... [In reply to] Can't Post

...you can also change how many threads you see on that Page 1 of which you speak. But since most users here use the default setting, most people aren't posting new stuff to Page 2 unless they're embroiled in a particularly interesting discussion, from what I can tell.

Wandering in the Elven Wood
Follow on Twitter

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

May 9 2011, 6:13pm

Post #14 of 68 (2951 views)
Shortcut
Threads Not Bumped By New Posts [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks. I did see that and I did increase it. But there's a limit to its effectiveness upon hundreds or thousands of threads in a forum, whereas a policy change would make the most sense. The best interfaces and policies work the way humans actually want and expect things to work. But like I said, there was a reason mentioned somewhere for the current system of not bumping threads with new posts. I just don't recall what that reason is. And generally, if something that makes sense doesn't immediately come to mind - because it's not obvious - it tends towards "unexpected behavior" and being a bad interface.

(This post was edited by JWPlatt on May 9 2011, 6:14pm)

SirDennisC
Half-elven

May 9 2011, 6:31pm

Post #15 of 68 (2946 views)
Shortcut
So there's an upside to this? [In reply to] Can't Post

Just kidding.Shocked I look forward to each and every one of your posts.Evil

I think we are all in the same boat. When you look at the number of views any given post gets vs the number of replies it is pretty clear there is more reading than posting going on.

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on May 9 2011, 6:32pm)

Bound
Rohan

May 9 2011, 6:48pm

Post #16 of 68 (2882 views)
Shortcut
haha... [In reply to] Can't Post

I wasn't trying to sound self indulgent...

The man in black fled across the desert and the gunslinger followed

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

May 9 2011, 6:53pm

Post #17 of 68 (2910 views)
Shortcut
TORn culture [In reply to] Can't Post

Our new boards were created to mimic the old boards, where threads didn't bump and anything past the first page couldn't be replied to at all. Many of us were fond of those boards (when they worked properly) and in fact came to prefer them over other formats. This format generally keeps arguments from turning into grudges once the posts drop off the first page, keeps discussion fresh, and allows newbies some more "breathing room" so that they don't have to worry about duplicating a year-old thread that no one has bumped in recent memory.

This board format is as much part of the culture of TORn as the posters who inhabit it, in my opinion.

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 9 2011, 7:46pm

Post #18 of 68 (2852 views)
Shortcut
*wears it with pride* / [In reply to] Can't Post

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 9 2011, 7:53pm

Post #19 of 68 (2884 views)
Shortcut
A question that has been asked before, [In reply to] Can't Post

with answers searchable on the Feedback board - such as this one.

Ataahua's stories

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 9 2011, 8:04pm

Post #20 of 68 (2905 views)
Shortcut
What she said [In reply to] Can't Post

We get dozens of new users every day, and since we don't bump threads each time there's a response, the conversation stays new.

I participate on other message boards (!) and I don't like the way the more veteran members tend to stifle conversation by insisting that new members search to see if a discussion has already happened. On TORN we don't have a problem with posting something that isn't already on the first page. That format does make for some repetition, however there's always a new perspective to keep the conversation fresh.

SirDennisC
Half-elven

May 9 2011, 11:13pm

Post #21 of 68 (2871 views)
Shortcut
Definition of ironic: [In reply to] Can't Post

yours and entmaiden's most recent posts to this thread.Cool

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 9 2011, 11:47pm

Post #22 of 68 (2830 views)
Shortcut
But notice [In reply to] Can't Post

there was no 'insisting' in my response. ;)

Ataahua's stories

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

May 9 2011, 11:53pm

Post #23 of 68 (2830 views)
Shortcut
And it means [In reply to] Can't Post

that I can't be tempted to get nasty with anyone over any juvenile Bumper Thread games/wars. I can find enough irritating behavior to test my patience online without that. Bless you, TORn!

NARF
NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd

Magpie
Immortal

May 10 2011, 1:27am

Post #24 of 68 (2845 views)
Shortcut
for me... [In reply to] Can't Post

it means if something it pushing me over the edge... I just have to avoid things for a few days and it's on the second page and forgotten. Or as close to it as we get. I can do a couple of days. If problematic threads kept thrusting themselves in my face - without an ignore button I'd be in deep trouble.

I have been and continue to be very happy with the arrangement here. I am amused at the suggestion that we are 'old' or 'broken' somehow. Surely there is room in this world for more than one way of doing things. (she smiles sweetly)

LOTR soundtrack website
magpie avatar gallery ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

taekotemple
Grey Havens

May 10 2011, 5:26am

Post #25 of 68 (2890 views)
Shortcut
That happens here anyway. [In reply to] Can't Post

I participate on other message boards (!) and I don't like the way the more veteran members tend to stifle conversation by insisting that new members search to see if a discussion has already happened.

This has happened here to me with a post I made a couple months ago, someone (I don't remember who), responded that the topic I posted was something that's been asked many times before, and it actually made me feel uncomfortable enough to no longer reply to the thread. I can understand being annoyed if someone posts the exact same thread topic they've posted before (it seems a little attention seeking to me), but considering how active this board is, and how far back one would have to backtrack, I think some patience is in order, whether here or on other boards.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.