The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Gaming & Collecting:
United Cutlery

CAhobbit
Rohan

Feb 23 2007, 5:12am

Post #1 of 7 (4290 views)
Shortcut
United Cutlery Can't Post

Unfortunately the LOTR offical swords and helms are no longer being produced by UC so no new prospects from them in the future. Frown

But there have been quite a few released over the years. Anyone collect them?

I only acquired a few of the swords:

-Sting
-Sting Scabbard
-Hadhafang
-Eowyn's Sword
-Theoden's sword (spelling has slipped from my mind argh!!).

I have hopes to one day get the elven sword at a resonable price but so few were made that my hopes of that are slim.

Do not meddle in the affairs of hobbits for we can bite your kneecaps off!

CAhobbit's flickr page

CAhobbit's myspace

SandWitch King
Rohan

Feb 23 2007, 6:53am

Post #2 of 7 (3583 views)
Shortcut
Maybe you DO have a problem /NT [In reply to] Can't Post

Once upon a time I was MrCere. I still am but this name is for posting and being part of the community while that one is for official business. 8-)

Aerlinn
Lorien

Feb 23 2007, 4:46pm

Post #3 of 7 (3585 views)
Shortcut
I want. [In reply to] Can't Post

Particularly Sting and Arwen's sword.

Right now I am going to - as soon as the tax return hits my bank account! - settle for a letter-opener replica so that I can open mail at the office in styyyyle.

What would I do with a sword anyway?

Well, Renaissance Faire. You move differently with a knife at your belt (even if it has no edge whatsoever and you couldn't use it, literally, to save your life) - I want to know what wearing a sword feels like. ;)

One of these days ...

I like the helms, too, but have NO place for them.

TheOneRing.net – where everybody knows your name!
And J.R.R. Tolkien’s middle names… and the name of his publisher’s son … and the name of Aragorn’s great-great-great- grandfather on his mother’s side… and what Frodo’s name almost was…

CAhobbit
Rohan

Feb 23 2007, 7:51pm

Post #4 of 7 (3577 views)
Shortcut
I know! So far I haven't found a cure! [In reply to] Can't Post

I keep finding stuff to buy every so often.

Do not meddle in the affairs of hobbits for we can bite your kneecaps off!

CAhobbit's flickr page

CAhobbit's myspace

FingonOfPittsburgh
Lorien

Feb 25 2007, 12:38am

Post #5 of 7 (3562 views)
Shortcut
RE [In reply to] Can't Post

I got Glamdring. It hung on my wall for a few years, until we started having kids. Now it's tucked away unceremoniously in the back of a closet. Frown

Out of the darkness of my life, so much frustrated, I put before you the one great thing to love on earth: the Blessed Sacrament... There you will find romance, glory, honour, fidelity, and the true way of all your loves on earth, and more than that: Death: by the divine paradox, that which ends life, and demands the surrender of all, and yet by the taste (or foretaste) of which alone can what you seek in your earthly relationships (love, faithfulness, joy) be maintained, or take on that complexion of reality, of eternal endurance, which every man's heart desires.

--J.R.R. Tolkien, Letter #43, to his son Michael

Urambo Tauro
Rivendell

Mar 4 2007, 3:22am

Post #6 of 7 (3586 views)
Shortcut
I collect [In reply to] Can't Post

I have been collecting swords for about five years now. Since then (and in view of United Cutlery's bankruptcy), I have been able to catch up and accumulate many of the replicas. I restrict my collecting to the swords and knives, so that saves me from having to go after the helms and shields.

I started off with the UC1298(Hadhafang); I was drawn by its organic shape, similar to a tree branch. Very unique.
My latest addition was finally aquiring the UC1424(Museum Collection Sting). I had put off getting that one for a while.

Of all the swords, it's hard for me to pick a favorite. If someone were to start collecting, I should probably suggest the UC1296MIN(Miniature Shards of Narsil). Its small size makes it easy for display, the cost is reasonable, and the statue compliments the shards very well. Lots of detail! (But there's only so much detail that can go into a miniature; the full-size swords really do speak for themselves.)

I would like to get my hands on a UC1296(full-size Shards of Narsil) and a UC1373 (High Elven Warrior Display Sword). But, they're just far too expensive nowadays. I should have jumped on them when they were first released.

(This post was edited by Urambo Tauro on Mar 4 2007, 3:24am)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 9 2007, 7:46pm

Post #7 of 7 (4094 views)
Shortcut
I have a Sting and scabbard, but not of UC. [In reply to] Can't Post

The painting of the inlaid design on the handle would be easily worn off if handled a lot, but it's a very good replica. Full sized, engraved, metal with a leather-like scabbard.

It was a riot to watch my g'son when he was 8yo and the size of a hobbit holding it and swinging it CAREFULLY around! It really puts the size of a hobbit into perspective.

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.