The Return Of The Rings: LOTR's Extended Editions Coming To The Big Screen
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Apr 27 2011, 12:16am

Post #26 of 70 (1141 views)
Shortcut
My Regal Cinemas Theater is showing these [In reply to] Can't Post

So it can't be only AMC. Good thing too. Usually, my local AMC doesn't participate in things like these. My Regal Cinemas usually always does. Happy times. Smile

"All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds awake to find that it was vanity; But the dreamers of day are dangerous men. That they may act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible."
- T.E. Lawrence

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Apr 27 2011, 12:22am

Post #27 of 70 (1133 views)
Shortcut
My local Regal cinemas... [In reply to] Can't Post

is showing these. So it's definitely not just AMC. Smile

"All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds awake to find that it was vanity; But the dreamers of day are dangerous men. That they may act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible."
- T.E. Lawrence

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Apr 27 2011, 1:11am

Post #28 of 70 (1082 views)
Shortcut
sorry for the double post. // [In reply to] Can't Post

- T.E. Lawrence

Oiotári
Tol Eressea

Apr 27 2011, 1:27am

Post #29 of 70 (1136 views)
Shortcut
Carmike! [In reply to] Can't Post

that's the first theater that's been brought up thus far that I've actually heard of Angelic
plus, there's one over here, so I'd be ecstatic if they joined in

..The land of long-forgotten name:
......no man may ever anchor near;
..No steering star his hope may aim,
......for nether Night its marches drear,
..And waters wide no sail may tame,
......with shores encircled dark and sheer.

..O! Haven where my heart would be!
......the waves beat upon thy bar
..For ever echo endlessly,
......when longing leads thy thought afar

Garfeimao
Rohan

Apr 27 2011, 1:56am

Post #30 of 70 (1171 views)
Shortcut
Yup, Regal is showing it too, but. . . [In reply to] Can't Post

Since the press release is for AMC, I'm thinking that whatever the announcement to come is, it might be AMC theater related.

Normally, I would choose Regal over AMC any day, but I decided that I'm not going to risk it, I've got options for both within a few minutes of each other here in So Cal.

Peace, Love and Rock & Roll,

Garfeimao
The orange stripey One

Cruise to Middle-earth

chrism628
Bree

Apr 27 2011, 2:18am

Post #31 of 70 (1171 views)
Shortcut
4 hr. 25 mins?! Ughh [In reply to] Can't Post

Its tough enough to sit through a 2 1/2 hr movie in a theater, but over 4 hours for ROTK? Ouch! Maybe AMC theaters should provide extra comfy seats and free refreshments for this event. Cool

taekotemple
Grey Havens

Apr 27 2011, 4:20am

Post #32 of 70 (1131 views)
Shortcut
Do you have a site I can link to for Regal's showings? [In reply to] Can't Post

There are AMC theaters around me, but they'd be hard to get to on time in rush hour traffic on those days. I'm hoping a regal cinema will be closer.

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Apr 27 2011, 4:26am

Post #33 of 70 (1104 views)
Shortcut
I don't have a list. [In reply to] Can't Post

But I just ordered the tickets off Fandango.com. Just search for each film - and if a theater near you is showing, it should allow you to drop down the corresponding date and then show the theater and time.

- T.E. Lawrence

taekotemple
Grey Havens

Apr 27 2011, 4:39am

Post #34 of 70 (1123 views)
Shortcut
*hits self in the head* [In reply to] Can't Post

Duh, why didn't I do that?Tongue

Thanks! I think this is what happens when spending all day taking care of a sick baby, an energetic toddler, and a sick parent of both of those kids.

Me need brains! Shocked

Patty
Immortal

Apr 27 2011, 7:37am

Post #35 of 70 (1132 views)
Shortcut
I really find it interesting that the AMC is calling these the Director's Cut... [In reply to] Can't Post

I know they are my favorite cut, but was it ever settled that PJ considers these the director's cuts.Sly

Yeah, I'm just stirring up trouble. Be glad it isn't balrog's wings.

The AMC near me isn't showing them, so I'll have to journey to the other side of town to take part. I'll only go see Fellowship, because, frankly, I'll be getting blu-ray on June 28th, and I'll need to watch the whole thing then, to make sure there are no problems with the disc. I've been waiting this long, and I'm not inclined to hit the theater for it, unless there really is more content. If that's the case, I'll be first in line!

Too bad we don't have time to line up line parties and get tee-shirts that say "Return of the Rings, June 2011" or something like that. (what can I say--I love my OneRing.Net tee shirts.Evil

Permanent address: Into the West

Must. Have. The Precious! Give us the LotR EE Blu-ray Ultimate Box Set!

Rosie-with-the-ribbons
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 27 2011, 8:20am

Post #36 of 70 (1149 views)
Shortcut
Tempting, very tempting [In reply to] Can't Post

I have never seen an extended version on the big screen.
But I just checked plane tickets to Atlanta around that time, ouch. I think New York including the hotelroom is some what equal (and that was a lot of money).

I would love to see Atlanta, who knows one day you will find me on your doorstep Wink.

Garfeimao
Rohan

Apr 27 2011, 2:40pm

Post #37 of 70 (1115 views)
Shortcut
I don't trust the term "Director's cut" [In reply to] Can't Post

In January the American Cinematheque here in LA had a Trilogy screening that was supposed to be the extended version of all three films. Instead, they called it the Director's Cut of the trilogy. Why? Well, FOTR and TTT exist as 35mm prints in the Extended cuts, but a 35mm cut of ROTK in Extended format was never made. They didn't want to screen the extended cut on DVD, the visuals of going from a 35mm cut for the first two films to a DVD on the third film would have been so very different, they chose not to do that. So they got out of it by saying that the Theatrical release of ROTK, which is on 35mm print, is PJ's preferred cut, hence they called the trilogy screenings the Director's Cut.

Hence, calling this special event the Director's Cut has me rather worried. Now, there is still no 35mm cut of ROTK in Extended form, so having that one screened on June 28 means they are probably going to screen it on BluRay, which is much higher in quality for a theater screening. At least, I hope so, this is supposed to be a celebration of the Bluray release of the EE version.

Peace, Love and Rock & Roll,

Garfeimao
The orange stripey One

Cruise to Middle-earth

ShawnMR
The Shire

Apr 27 2011, 4:32pm

Post #38 of 70 (1054 views)
Shortcut
35mm vs. Digital [In reply to] Can't Post

According to a very reliable source at HSX.com, this re-release is actually completely digitally remastered for theaters. I don't think this is a case of just showing the Blu-Ray.

ShawnMR
The Shire

Apr 27 2011, 4:38pm

Post #39 of 70 (1093 views)
Shortcut
Sellout Reports [In reply to] Can't Post

Its still very early and I don't think word is out far enough yet, but can any Ringers give reports of sellouts at theaters around them (or just in general) as they happen? Very curious to see what the demand is like.

DiveTwin
Rohan

Apr 27 2011, 5:23pm

Post #40 of 70 (1033 views)
Shortcut
Too True [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
in the city. I think Dive Twin will be in the 'burbs.

Yup, the Woodridge theater off of Interstate 55 and Lemont Road is 10-15 minutes from my home and a favorite place to watch movies. We'll have to come up with an excuse to get some of the gang together.

I'm worried I might either be in Atlanta or Minneapolis during some of this but decided to chance it, since the grapevine seems to think so new unseen footage might be shown. Whether that happens or in what format, I have no idea. But regardless, a chance to see the EE's on the big screen is too good to pass up.

"Do not come between the Nazgul and his prey"

(This post was edited by DiveTwin on Apr 27 2011, 5:24pm)

DiveTwin
Rohan

Apr 27 2011, 5:27pm

Post #41 of 70 (1055 views)
Shortcut
Was Thinking The Same Thing [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Its still very early and I don't think word is out far enough yet, but can any Ringers give reports of sellouts at theaters around them (or just in general) as they happen? Very curious to see what the demand is like.

I am curious also. Would be nice to sell out across the country and send the message there's still massive interest in Middle Earth while The Hobbit is being filmed.

And today in Chicagoland is also when tickets at Ravinia outdoor theater go on sale for two nights of live orchestra music played during a viewing of "Fellowship Of The Ring". Gotta get those tickets before they sell out....

"Do not come between the Nazgul and his prey"

deej
Tol Eressea

Apr 27 2011, 5:41pm

Post #42 of 70 (1047 views)
Shortcut
You're welcome anytime, Rosie! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Magpie
Immortal

Apr 27 2011, 5:42pm

Post #43 of 70 (1085 views)
Shortcut
If you come to Minneapolis, be sure to let us know [In reply to] Can't Post

or... me, as the case may be. I think Kangi and I are the only TORnsibs active on the boards right now but we have some active members that have the Twin Cities area as a home base and may be around and some of those 'inactive' members may be lurking (peers through the screen to see if I can see Zmulady, Ordinary Hobbit, or Hobbit Love).

Besides, I got two boxes of LOTR and Narnia books and merchandise I need to find homes for! This stuff is too expensive to mail and I'm biding my time, hoping for a Minne-moot.

As for the movies, I might buy tickets. I talked to my husband about the event. I should buy tickets. But life is kind of uncertain for me right now and it's not high on my priority list.

LOTR soundtrack website
magpie avatar gallery ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 27 2011, 6:24pm

Post #44 of 70 (1042 views)
Shortcut
I might be traveling, too [In reply to] Can't Post

but I decided to take the chance.

SteveDJ
Rivendell

Apr 27 2011, 6:54pm

Post #45 of 70 (1113 views)
Shortcut
Compare the running times [In reply to] Can't Post

The AMC site lists the running times for each movie as follows:

Fellowship of the Ring - 3 hours 50 minutes (that 30 minutes longer than EE DVD)
Two Towers - 3 hours 55 minutes (15 minutes longer than EE DVD)
Return of the King - 4 hours 25 minutes (again, 15 minutes longer than EE DVD).

Now, I figure that those extra 15 minutes are for previews... but maybe they are for some other yet-to-be-disclosed content? At the very least, I cannot imagine what would take 30 extra minutes for the first movie... that really has piqued my interest here.

P.S. When I looked up for Regal, I got the same running times. Maybe it is something in Fandango's system, though that would be more overhead than I would think Fandango wants - it just repeats the info from whatever theater's data it is looking at.

SteveDJ
Rivendell

Apr 27 2011, 7:00pm

Post #46 of 70 (1107 views)
Shortcut
Seattle area here (Alderwood Mall 16) [In reply to] Can't Post

If Seattle TORnsibs are thinking of some sort of gathering, my AMC tickets are for the Alderwood Mall 16 theater in Lynnwood (Southcenter is the other AMC option). Feel free to post and maybe something can come together?

ShawnMR
The Shire

Apr 27 2011, 8:05pm

Post #47 of 70 (1057 views)
Shortcut
Running Times [In reply to] Can't Post

According to a very reliable source at HSX.com, the running times are not accidental and include a special introduction video from PJ on the set of The Hobbit...as well as yet-to-be-disclosed content. Cool

Oiotári
Tol Eressea

Apr 27 2011, 8:39pm

Post #48 of 70 (1049 views)
Shortcut
I wish [In reply to] Can't Post

the "search for theaters near [zipcode]" features would let you select what you considered to be "near"

Also, why are these being shown on Tuesdays of all days?
can't exactly hop on a bus to another city on a tuesday, can I? Tongue

ShawnMR
The Shire

Apr 27 2011, 8:50pm

Post #49 of 70 (1049 views)
Shortcut
Tuesdays [In reply to] Can't Post

I think its on Tuesday because of being in the heart of summer, so prime time days like Fri-Sat-Sun are not only dominated by big new releases every weekend but they also would be using the premiere screens. By showing these on Tuesdays, theaters can sacrifice their best screen/biggest auditorium for one showtime and not lose out on any significant business.

Plus, a lot of theaters give bargain prices on concessions and whatnot on Tuesdays.

Oiotári
Tol Eressea

Apr 27 2011, 8:55pm

Post #50 of 70 (1041 views)
Shortcut
right... I need to get things into perspective [In reply to] Can't Post

It's mainly bubbles like TORn that are going to be really excited about this. Many people probably couldn't care less about LotR EE showings, so Tuesdays probably make sense (no matter how irritating it is Wink ).

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.