Jul 29 2007, 10:56pm

Post #1 of 15 (1051 views)
Shortcut
my new bookcover for HP7 Can't Post

Front outside
(the back looks pretty much the same)

Front inside (left)
(the other side looks the same)

I couldn't fit the cover wide open on the scanner.

Eventually I will post sme of my LotR bookcovers. All my bookcovers are different using differentcolor themes, custom made to fit both bok and book owner. Most of my best covers belong to oher people, having been given as gifts. I seldom finish my own. I get them to a funtional state, then start using them and move on to other things, sometimes going back to put the finishing touches on them, the embelishments of sequins & beeds and beading the ties, etc.

On some I have handpainted designs related to the books. One of my LotR friends commisioned a set of five covers. With her in mind, I painted designs similar in feel to Tolkiens tiles, but quite different, containing a design in the center of a circle with little icons around it related to each book and with a square turned on its point around that.

I am explaining all this so you might be able to envision the possible variations of book covers. I think my very best are the the two I did for the 50th aniversary edition. I used silver material on the outside. I don't have any to show unless or until I make my own bookcover for my own book or collect pictures from the people I gave these to.

**Tribute: Lt. J.G. Robert Sterling, WWII Pilot MIA, by Gramma & DoN**
Art Gallery Revised, Aloha & Mahalo, Websites Directory

Nienna: “ those who hearken to her learn pity, and endurance in hope . . . All those who wait in Mandos cry to her, for she brings strength to the spirit and turns sorrow to wisdom." — Valaquenta

(This post was edited by Daughter of Nienna on Jul 29 2007, 11:00pm)

Daughter of Nienna
Grey Havens

Jul 29 2007, 11:20pm

Post #2 of 15 (767 views)
Shortcut
image of the printed cover [In reply to] Can't Post

Front to Back

This is what I used as my reference to my design concept, with the edition of the Red metalic title as shown below. (The above image is bigger, better quality for posting here than the one I got off Amazon that included to red title)

Front

cover gallery for book seven at The Leaky Cauldron
http://gallery.the-leaky-cauldron.org/dh

Nienna: “ those who hearken to her learn pity, and endurance in hope . . . All those who wait in Mandos cry to her, for she brings strength to the spirit and turns sorrow to wisdom." — Valaquenta

(This post was edited by Daughter of Nienna on Jul 29 2007, 11:24pm)

Morwen
Rohan

Jul 30 2007, 1:04pm

Post #3 of 15 (754 views)
Shortcut
What are the covers made from, DoN? [In reply to] Can't Post

From your picture, it appears to be some sort of velvety fabric. Do you sew them together?

That one is beautiful, btw.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Jul 30 2007, 1:05pm

Post #4 of 15 (750 views)
Shortcut
Ooh, very yummy! [In reply to] Can't Post

This old bibliophile really likes what you've done. I'd love to see more of your work. You've probably already explained this, but could you say again what medium you are using? It looks like cloth, but maybe painted? Or printed?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
Chance Meeting at Rivendell: a Tolkien Fanfic
and some other stuff I wrote...
leleni at hotmail dot com

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 30 2007, 4:41pm

Post #5 of 15 (754 views)
Shortcut
*gasp!* *Wild applause* [In reply to] Can't Post

Absolutely stunning! That's beautiful! I'm very impressed :) I'm glad you posted it...

*goes back for another look, or two, or three*

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

Daughter of Nienna
Grey Havens

Jul 30 2007, 8:34pm

Post #6 of 15 (764 views)
Shortcut
fabrics & choices [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
From your picture, it appears to be some sort of velvety fabric. Do you sew them together?
That one is beautiful, btw.

Hi Morwen,

Thank you for your comments.

Most of the fabrics I use are cotton. But I use all kinds. I go to a couple of different fabric stores. Both of which have these wonderfully printed fabrics with great colors. At one they have a great collection of "Fat Quarters". I think they are mostly for Quilters, but used by people who make all kinds of things with fabric: make0up cases, purses, bags, pouches, glasses cases... wall hanging art pieces...and more.

FYI: a Fat Quarter is half a yard cut in half. Not all fabric stores have such a collection. But theirs is quite large and organized by color. It's like going in and picking out paints. A lot of fun. But the store itself is small and so sometimes limited on choice. The other store is like a fabric fairyland come true. The hardest time I have there is deciding what not to buy. Their fabric is usually more expensive.

I always pick out three different fabrics — for the outside, inside and sleeve— 2-3 colors will service a theme very nicely. I custom fit my covers to the book both in size and thematically....and if for someone else, then that person is considered as well. (I keep a running list of favorite colors of the people in my life, even my Tolkien group).

With my Harry Potter covers, I work with the cover designs as my guide to the fabrics I choose. I use the colors of the book cover, sometimes I use the colors that fit the themes of the book content. For example: with my LotR covers, for FotR, I like to use a green (for Hobbits as woods), then I choose something that works with that particular fabric but is different, in usually a gold or gray, all depends on the fabrics at hand.

Then I agonize over what fabric will go where for hours during the design process. I can drive myself crazy. I use design principle such as: contrast, unity, balance, color theory, etc. It must work together as a unit and still have visual interest (usually created by contrast).

I use the embellishments to create further unity by echoing the colors in the fabric. For embellishments, I use: ribbons & cords for the bookmarkers & ties, paint, sequins and beads.

I sometimes hand-sew ties from the front fabric, but that adds a big chunk of time. These cords I used here for the bookmarks happen to be too thick, and my book does not like them very much…too much strain on the binding. So I will go back to ribbons or much thinner cords. The ties I will still use cords, they save a lot of time… ribbons for the ties are not very functional.

There is more in my response to Aunt Dora Baggins.

Daughter of Nienna
Grey Havens

Jul 30 2007, 8:36pm

Post #7 of 15 (761 views)
Shortcut
How I do it. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
This old bibliophile really likes what you've done. I'd love to see more of your work. You've probably already explained this, but could you say again what medium you are using? It looks like cloth, but maybe painted? Or printed?

Hi Aunt Dora Baggins,

I use fabric which I explain in depth in my response to Morwen above.
http://newboards.theonering.net/...forum_view_expanded;

How I do it:

After choosing my 3 fabrics (which I agonize for hours over). The book is carefully measured adding about 3/8 inch to a 1/4 inch of room all around. I mark it using pencil because ink bleeds through (drawing pencils work better than writing pencils, they are softer so apply better).

Before sewing: I prepare the sleeves: The sleeves are hemmed by hand. I used to do all the sewing by hand before I got a machine. The ribbon on the sleeve is applied doubly with iron-on adhesive and with sewing. To use only one method, makes them buckle, but doing both, makes them nice a flat & smooth.

Then the bookmarks are carefully placed, in the middle where the spine would be (which I mark on the cloth). I like a minimum of 2 or three for most books, more for LotR books (some people only like one bookmark). Ties are taped down on the sides in the exact middle (these are sometimes are hand-sewn ties from the front fabric, sometimes cords).

Then I sew them right sides together. Leaving open a space for turning it right-side-out. I test it on the book see if it fits. I turn it back inside out. Then iron on that adhesive stuff… reverse it again right-side-out… hand sew the open space closed.

My next step is to paint the border. For the painted border: this is both functional and very much a part of the design. The paint helps protect the fabric edges. The color helps me to pull it all together into one cohesive whole. And because I know how to mix paint very well, it affords me the ability to get whatever color I want in whatever hue, value or brightness I need. With everything else I have to take with I can find… with paint I have more control over he color.

I like metallic paints, with I mix sometimes with non-metallic paints which still give them that metallic sheen, but gives me the color I want,, since color choices in metallic paints are rather limited. I get asked to most questions about my painted borders like it some big mystery. It's just paint. Perhaps its because people are not used to seeing paint on fabric… or metallic paint on fabric… or the colors of metallic paint that I can make mixing with non-metallics… or that I blend them sometime to get a rainbow effect. It's still just paint… no mystery to me. I use mostly the craft paints from the craft store… they have great metallic choices and Wal-Mart does too, and they are more liquid, easy to work with on fabric. These are usually all acrylic. I also will pull out my acrylics in tubes (used for painting pictures) and mix those as well. You can paint anything on fabric. Fabric paint is only if you plan on washing a lot.

At this point the cover is fairly functional. The important thing left to do is finish off the ties and bookmarks or they will unravel. There are all kind of ways I have done this from simple hems to knots (sewing off the ends) and embellishing with beads or sequins. On this one, I came up with a new thing. I used soft craft wire and seed beads to hide the ends of the cords. My local bead store sold me last week (after this cover was completed) some end crimps which are useful for the cords. This will cut a lot of time out. I can easily add beads to this since it has a loop for that.

The finishing touches are the sequins and beads around the border and along he inside ribbon. I have in the past hand-painted designs of my own making (this adds a huge chunk of time). I kind of like them with out, anyway.

Now it is complete.

All my book covers are different because I use different fabrics. The only part of that the I take credit for in my choices of fabric. I don't make or design the fabric itself.

Thank-you for your comments.

Daughter of Nienna
Grey Havens

Jul 30 2007, 8:38pm

Post #8 of 15 (743 views)
Shortcut
Thanks Gramma! [In reply to] Can't Post

Than truly warms my heart, especially coming from you.

DoN
Heart

silneldor
Half-elven

Jul 31 2007, 10:34am

Post #9 of 15 (753 views)
Shortcut
This is fascinating. [In reply to] Can't Post

They look to be actually from the Minas Tirith archives. They are beautiful and detailed lovely.

I use the raw functional method, shoprite brown paper bags. At least they wear fairly wellLaugh.

"Tolkien, like Lewis, believed that, through story, the real world would become a more magical place, full of meaning. We see its patterns and colors in a fresh way. The recovery of a true view of the world applies both to individual things, like hills and stones, and to the cosmic - the depths of space and time itself. For in sub-creation, in Tolkien's view, there is a "survey" of space and time. Reality is captured on a miniature scale. Through stories like The Lord of the Rings, a renewed view of things is given, illuminating the homely, the spiritial, the physical, and the moral dimensions of the world."

Tolkien and C.S. Lewis- The Gift of Friendship -Duriez

daffobombadils crash Lorien

Daughter of Nienna
Grey Havens

Jul 31 2007, 10:15pm

Post #10 of 15 (749 views)
Shortcut
I like spartkly things [In reply to] Can't Post

and a touch of elegance. Brown paer makes me cringe. Smile

But that's me. I thrive on aesthetic comforts...though you'd never know from teh state of my house at the moment. The hazards fo doing art projects, they take over my house.

silneldor
Half-elven

Aug 2 2007, 1:54am

Post #11 of 15 (750 views)
Shortcut
The way things get bounced and jostled [In reply to] Can't Post

in my tractor trailer and my commuter motorcycle and boat over nasssty roads and rainy waves one must dwell on survivability of book and coverLaugh. Unfortunately such lovely elegance would not make it in my working world. Aesthetic comforts are seeing things in one pieceSly.
I would love to have such adorn the home though.

"Tolkien, like Lewis, believed that, through story, the real world would become a more magical place, full of meaning. We see its patterns and colors in a fresh way. The recovery of a true view of the world applies both to individual things, like hills and stones, and to the cosmic - the depths of space and time itself. For in sub-creation, in Tolkien's view, there is a "survey" of space and time. Reality is captured on a miniature scale. Through stories like The Lord of the Rings, a renewed view of things is given, illuminating the homely, the spiritial, the physical, and the moral dimensions of the world."

Tolkien and C.S. Lewis- The Gift of Friendship -Duriez

daffobombadils crash Lorien

Altaira
Superuser

Aug 13 2007, 3:19am

Post #12 of 15 (723 views)
Shortcut
Beautiful [In reply to] Can't Post

Beautiful choice of fabrics... and I love the bookmarks. It's great how you incorporate things about the book AND things about the person you're creating for. It makes the gift(s) that much more special. Thanks for sharing and I hope to see more. Smile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"All we have to decide is what to do with the boards that are given to us"

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Aug 17 2007, 6:46pm

Post #13 of 15 (738 views)
Shortcut
Here's a patten I use for bookcovers. [In reply to] Can't Post

I bought a cover like this at a church rummage sale, and turned it inside out to see how it was made. I've made several in different sizes to use for my paperback books to keep them nice when I'm slinging them around. The pattern has a latch that keeps the book closed, and a ribbon to keep your place. I also use a bookcover like this to turn an ordinary composition book into a nice journal. I hope to get a photo uploaded as soon as I can ask Uncle Baggins where he left the camera.

bookcover instructions

I also make a very simple bookcover by taking a piece of faux-leather vinyl slightly taller than the book and long enough to make pockets when I fold the ends in. I top stitch around the edge and sew a ribbon to the top. This looks very nice and is very easy to make.

"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."

Daughter of Nienna
Grey Havens

Aug 18 2007, 7:26am

Post #14 of 15 (722 views)
Shortcut
thanks [In reply to] Can't Post

I saved the link to look over more carefully later... busy trying to beat a deadline.

aloha
DoN

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Aug 18 2007, 5:50pm

Post #15 of 15 (774 views)
Shortcut
Here are photos of my vinyl composition-book cover: [In reply to] Can't Post

I added a leather strip to the spine after a few years of heavy use when the vinyl started to fray. I also sewed in a little pocket to hold the pen. I've written a couple of novels in composition books that I've kept in this cover as I was writing. This kind of book cover takes only half an hour or so to make from beginning to end.

BTW, for my cloth covers, I use tapestry upholstery fabric for the outside, and some kind of calico-type cotton print for the inside. But the one I got at the rummage sale had different cotton prints for the inside and outside.

(This post was edited by Aunt Dora Baggins on Aug 18 2007, 5:57pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.