LOTR Trading Cards...

diedye
Grey Havens

Feb 23 2007, 4:14am

Post #1 of 6 (3939 views)
Shortcut
LOTR Trading Cards... Can't Post

I'm pathetic, I know...

I don't have any Topps (although I wish I did), but I do have Decipher FOTR & TTT trading cards (the store I got them from closed, so I missed ROTK.

Anyone else?

Magpie
Immortal

Feb 23 2007, 4:34am

Post #2 of 6 (3375 views)
Shortcut
I have both. [In reply to] Can't Post

I went a bit nuts with the Decipher cards. I bought a few decks, ordered some single cards online, went to Wizards of the Coast for a promotional card, and then bought beaucoup decks that have appeared at discounted prices. I even played the game a few times, which is kind of an odd experience since you take turns being the good guys and then the bad guys. When you're bad, you try to kill the other Frodo's in play.

I bought a few decks of Topps cards but then one of my friends went nuts and tried to get them all by buying individual packs. She sent me all her duplicates. So... between those two, and a few decks of the older Middle-earth CCG game, I have two photo boxes full of cards. And for awhile, I was cataloging them. I really do have an obsessive tendency.

no longer just aMagpie... I'm now *the* Magpie

Patty
Immortal

Mar 4 2007, 4:26am

Post #3 of 6 (3359 views)
Shortcut
The only ones of these that I wanted [In reply to] Can't Post

are the ones made up from characters not used in the films. Is there a site that shows them in a separate listing?

I have the Decipher cards that were given to us for the line parties but I didn't buy any others.

Welcome to Rivendell, Patty Baggins

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Mar 7 2007, 4:19pm

Post #4 of 6 (3350 views)
Shortcut
I have the Decipher cards (IIRC) and what made me laugh [In reply to] Can't Post

was the way Eowyn was categorized. Characters are listed as being Elf, Dwarf, Hobbit, Man, etc. Being human, Eowyn is labeled as a Man.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
Chance Meeting at Rivendell: a Tolkien Fanfic
and some other stuff I wrote...
leleni at hotmail dot com

Shadowfaxfan
Rivendell

Mar 9 2007, 12:02am

Post #5 of 6 (3354 views)
Shortcut
If it has LOTR's on it I buy it if [In reply to] Can't Post

I can afford it. I have bought a ton of all types of cards. Usually a pack or 2 a week while they had them at Target or Wally World. I have played the Decipher game a couple of times with my teenage sons who play Magic The Gathering and they say the game is pretty hard. They get annoyed with me because I seem to win even though I have no clue what I am doing and keep asking "now what does this guy do?". And of course I had to buy the Foil Shadowfax card on line! I need to go to collector's anonymous.

The repetition, the doubling and the long strands of interconnected narrative all mean something. They say that life is a series of cycles, and that we will likely meet the same kinds of archetypal guardians, opponents and allies at various stages along the way. But the nature of the conflicts changes as you age and grow over the span of an epic. Reading 'The Lord of the Rings' in my 20s, I was inspired by its idealism, but also terrified by its vision of middle life and old age as a patient, plodding struggle against the mundane grinding of evil. Seeing the movie meant something else to me from my current perspective, around the corner of age fifty, reminding me that the raw intensity of youthful dreams still has purity and power. At the same time, I felt the death of comrades in the movie keenly, for comrades have started to fall around me, and I looked to the story for the courage to continue the struggle without them.~As the legend says, 'One Ring to rule them all and in the darkness bind them.' We were certainly bound in the darkness, me and that afternoon's audience for the first chapter of 'The Lord of the Rings,' fellow travelers on a long journey together, seeking meaning for our shadowed world in the mirror of a myth, just as humans have always done.~Christopher Vogler

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 9 2007, 7:47pm

Post #6 of 6 (3788 views)
Shortcut
I have several of each, but not a serious collection. // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.