The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
**Founders' Day -- Where's Bilbo?**

Finding Frodo
Tol Eressea

Apr 26 2011, 5:10pm

Post #1 of 6 (532 views)
Shortcut
**Founders' Day -- Where's Bilbo?** Can't Post

Identify Bilbo's location by the following descriptions from the text. Good luck! The answers are below. Post your score and/or comments!

1. "They followed the tracks up the hill, until hidden by bushes they came on a big door of stone leading to a cave."

2. "Not a red light, as of fire or lantern, but a pale out-of-doors sort of light."

3. " Especially there was clover, waving patches of cockscomb clover, and purple clover, and wide stretches of short white sweet honey-smelling clover."

4. "It then became pitch-dark -- not what you call pitch-dark, but really pitch; so black that you could really see nothing."

5. "The clouds were torn by the wind, and a red sunset slashed the West. Seeing the sudden gleam in the gloom Bilbo looked round."

Extra Credit: "It was a fine night, and the black sky was dotted with stars."

Answers:
1. The Hobbit "Roast Mutton" -- the path to the troll's cave
2. The Hobbit "Riddles in the Dark" -- the back door out of the goblin tunnels
3. The Hobbit "Queer Lodgings" -- approaching Beorn's house
4. The Hobbit "Flies and Spiders" -- Mirkwood at night
5. The Hobbit "The Clouds Burst" -- the Eagles are coming!
E.C. The Fellowship of the Ring "A Long-Expected Party" -- Bilbo is about to start on another adventureSmile

Where's Frodo?

glorinfidell
Bree

Apr 26 2011, 5:16pm

Post #2 of 6 (337 views)
Shortcut
Fun! another quiz! i love founders day! [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes! i got 4 out 5. And extra credit.

weaver
Half-elven

Apr 26 2011, 9:11pm

Post #3 of 6 (341 views)
Shortcut
Oh dear! Did you check the Lost and Found table? [In reply to] Can't Post

Last year, we found a lot of strange things after Founders Day -- a glass slipper, a pocket watch, someone's marbles, and a bridge film to nowhere...!

Here's my best guesses on your quiz questions -- well except for that last one, maybe!

1. The place the trolls hid their treasures?
2. In the tunnel leading to Smaug's lair?
3. Beorn's bed-and-breakfast!
4. Gollum's cave?
5. I don't know, but it must be early in the story if Bilbo still looked round!

I hope you find that Burgler! We wouldn't want Finding Frodo to turn into Losing Bilbo! Smile

Weaver

sador
Half-elven

Apr 26 2011, 10:45pm

Post #4 of 6 (334 views)
Shortcut
These are tough! [In reply to] Can't Post

1. "They followed the tracks up the hill, until hidden by bushes they came on a big door of stone leading to a cave."
The troll's cave, in Roast Mutton?

2. "Not a red light, as of fire or lantern, but a pale out-of-doors sort of light."
Getting near the Back Door, in Riddles in the Dark.

3. " Especially there was clover, waving patches of cockscomb clover, and purple clover, and wide stretches of short white sweet honey-smelling clover."
Difficult.
Approaching Beorn's home, in Queer Lodgings?

4. "It then became pitch-dark -- not what you call pitch-dark, but really pitch; so black that you could really see nothing."
The tunnel beneath the Elvenking's halls, in Barrels out of Bond?

5. "The clouds were torn by the wind, and a red sunset slashed the West. Seeing the sudden gleam in the gloom Bilbo looked round."
On the Doorstep, isn't it?

I would guess Rivendell in The Last Stage - but if it is Extra credit, than you probably mean the way to The Grey Havens.

Meh. Three out of six. Mediocrity bench again.

"An interesting statement: death was present because the people sought life."
- Menelwyn.

The weekly discussion of The Lord of the Rings is back. Join us in the Reading Room for The Window on the West!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 27 2011, 12:18am

Post #5 of 6 (342 views)
Shortcut
Next to Waldo? [In reply to] Can't Post

Let's see:

The Troll's hideout

Seeing the Wood-elves feast in Mirkwood

Beorn's

On the "wrong side" of the secret door leading to Smaug.

The Battle of Five Armies, and the eagles are coming!

Bilbo and Gandalf sitting outside Bag End and blowing smoke - no, wait, that was the movie! Laugh It's either when Bilbo heads off after leaving the Ring with Frodo, or with Frodo at Rivendell.

Okay, I got - three plus half an extra credit! I took a guess at #2, but forgot how incredibly dark it was in Mirkwood. My favorite phrase: the "gleam in the gloom"!

Thank you, this was fun, FF! Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 27 2011, 2:42am

Post #6 of 6 (394 views)
Shortcut
ooooooo.... good ones! [In reply to] Can't Post

Let's see how much I can embarrass myself :D

...It sounds like the cave where the Troll's hoard was hidden.

...Sounds like the red glow at the end of the tunnel leading to Smaug's lair. *shudder*

...Approaching Beorn's halls?

...The Company lost in the Goblins tunnels!

...OH! Is this when they're trying to find the secret door and the sunlight is about to reveal the keyhole?

...*looks up* Not really ;) I just had a tornado pass over my house a few hours ago. Really! Hail and wind and everything!

*applause* GREAT JOB, Finding Frodo!!! Thanks so much :D

sample sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.