Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
**Founders Day – Quiz on TheOneRing™

squire
Half-elven

Apr 26 2011, 11:11am

Post #1 of 6 (293 views)
Shortcut
**Founders Day – Quiz on TheOneRing™ Can't Post

“Today is TheOneRing’s™ twelfth birthday: TORn is twelve today.”

Hurray! Hurray! Many happy returns, we all reply. .. Right?!

Right! We do -- but some unfortunate people do not. They are too obsessed with TheOneRing™ to take the time to enjoy it. Instead, they want to know more about it. Who created it, what has happened to it since, and most of all, where is it at now?

Who are these people? That’s for you to find out, from the quotations given below. For each of the ten lines, provide us with: 1) Where in Tolkien’s works does it appear, the more specific the better; 2) What is the context? Who is saying or writing the line?

1. ‘The Enemy still lacks one thing to give him strength and knowledge to beat down all resistance, break the last defences, and cover all the lands in a second darkness. He lacks TheOneRing™.’

2. No tortures would have satisfied his anger with the bungling fools who had let slip the greatest prize in Middle-earth; even though they could know nothing of TheOneRing

3. …when at length he discovered the existence of TheOneRing™ he revolted against Sauron, and went to Lórinand to take counsel once more with Galadriel.

4. ‘Yet I could wish, were it of any avail, that TheOneRing™ had never been wrought, or had remained for ever lost.’

5. Saruman feigns that he has discovered that TheOneRing™ has passed down Anduin to the Sea.

6. …if one of them, even the Witch-king their captain, had seized TheOneRing™, he would have brought it back to his Master.

7. ‘So that is the answer to all the riddles! TheOneRing™ that was thought to have perished from the world.’

8. ‘The history of Elendil and Isildur and TheOneRing™ is known to all the Wise.’

9. But Sauron had many ears, and soon he heard rumour of TheOneRing™, which above all things he desired, and he sent forth the Nazgűl to take it.

10. …he learned all their secrets, and betrayed them, and forged secretly in the Mountain of Fire TheOneRing™ to be their master.

Answers: I will post full answers in a day or two. Meanwhile, some hints are hidden below. Highlight them to read them, after you’ve tried your best.

HEY! I said “try your best”!

1. “The Shadow of the Past”.
2. Unfinished Tales.
3. Unfinished Tales.
4. “The Mirror of Galadriel”.
5. Appendix B
6. Unfinished Tales.
7. “The Window on the West”.
8. “The Shadow of the Past”.
9. The Silmarillion.
10. “The Council of Elrond”.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd (and NOW the 4th too!) TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion; and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

sador
Half-elven

Apr 26 2011, 1:04pm

Post #2 of 6 (163 views)
Shortcut
Who are these miserable people? [In reply to] Can't Post

"Dwarves, and this!"

Okay, chalk that for a bonus question.

1. ‘The Enemy still lacks one thing to give him strength and knowledge to beat down all resistance, break the last defences, and cover all the lands in a second darkness. He lacks TheOneRing™.’
This should be Gandalf to Frodo, in The Shadow of the Past.

2. No tortures would have satisfied his anger with the bungling fools who had let slip the greatest prize in Middle-earth; even though they could know nothing of TheOneRing
Tolkien himself, in the person of the author of The Disaster of the Gladden Fields.
The bungling fools are the orcs who shot Isildur, but couldn't pick the loot.

3. …when at length he discovered the existence of TheOneRing™ he revolted against Sauron, and went to Lórinand to take counsel once more with Galadriel.
UT again. This speaks of Celebrimbor, and is taken from that most unfinished of tales - The History of Celeborn and Galadriel.

4. ‘Yet I could wish, were it of any avail, that TheOneRing™ had never been wrought, or had remained for ever lost.’
This sounds like Frodo to Gandalf, but I think it is rather Elrond at the Council.

5. Saruman feigns that he has discovered that TheOneRing™ has passed down Anduin to the Sea.
That isn't a quote!
But Gandalf quotes him saying this at the Council of Elrond.

6. …if one of them, even the Witch-king their captain, had seized TheOneRing™, he would have brought it back to his Master.
At first I thought it was in one of Tolkien's Letters; but perhaps it comes from The Hunt for the Ring?
I will go with the letters.

7. ‘So that is the answer to all the riddles! TheOneRing™ that was thought to have perished from the world.’
Faramir, after Sam blurted out the goal of the Quest in Henneth Annun.

8. ‘The history of Elendil and Isildur and TheOneRing™ is known to all the Wise.’
Once again, that sound like Gandalf to Frodo in The Shadow of the Past.
But the Wise did not yet know of Deagol.

9. But Sauron had many ears, and soon he heard rumour of TheOneRing™, which above all things he desired, and he sent forth the Nazgűl to take it.
I'm not sure about this, but I would guess comes from Of the Rings of Power and the Third Age.

10. …he learned all their secrets, and betrayed them, and forged secretly in the Mountain of Fire TheOneRing™ to be their master.
Probably from earlier in the same essay.

Okay, it appears I've got three - no, four! of these wrong.
Number four was very silly of me - as I actually got it right when first reading your post! It was Frodo after all - as I remembered by Galdriel's answer. What happened to me later?
Number five - well, I should have trusted you better with its being a quote.
Number six was again my first guess, rather than my second.
And number ten - well, that was simply because I had forgotten that the first part of Elrond's speech is described in the third person.

Humph.
Mediocrity Bench for me.

"An interesting statement: death was present because the people sought life."
- Menelwyn.

The weekly discussion of The Lord of the Rings is back. Join us in the Reading Room for The Window on the West!

weaver
Half-elven

Apr 26 2011, 3:54pm

Post #3 of 6 (168 views)
Shortcut
Hmm..a rather Daring Quiz here, squire..! [In reply to] Can't Post

Ok, I will take a break from eating ice cream to try this one...

Gandalf, and I think he says this to Frodo in Bag End when he's telling him about the Ring?

Tolkien, in Letters, answering a piece of fan mail?

This is an anecdote that Tom Shippey relates in "Author of the Century"; it is about Tolkien himself, and what he did when he got stuck trying to figure out how to write a sequel to the Hobbit.

Tolkien, again, in Letters, specifically Letter 876-b, aka "the infamous "confessions to my publisher" letter...

Christopher Lee, in the ROTK-EE commentaries, revealing one of the abandoned concepts for Saruman's character arc...

Wiki-leaks revelation about the owners of theonering.com website...

Various fans on Facebook, on days that the TORn server goes down...

Minutes from a TORn staff meeting...

HOME, Volume XII, "The Anatomy of Middle Earth", referring to one of Tolkien's early drafts, where Sauron is described as the Great Ear, ever listening..

Sauron, plotting against Calisuri, Tehanu, Corvar, and Xoanon, but not to worry, in the end his server crashed, and our Founders returned home safely with
TheOneRing™, and have sent it over the seas to the Undying Lands where it will remain forever on-line...

Fun Quiz! So, how'd I do? After I realized I could only answer question #1, I got more ice cream and the result are answers 2-9!

Weaver

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 27 2011, 9:34pm

Post #4 of 6 (150 views)
Shortcut
Catching the One Ring in a "net"? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll give it a go, but stick to the LotR/Hobbit ones (it's easy to recognize which ones fall outside those tomes):

The Shadow of the Past: Gandalf bringing the bad news to Frodo.

Mirror of Galadriel: Galadriel to Frodo, before she goes nuclear

This sounds like something from Appendix B!

Window on the West: Faramir realizes the truth, after Sam's gaffe.

Council of Elrond, the guy himself, shortening the background story for those present.
*looks at clues* Nope, Gandalf still talking to Frodo in his study at Bag End!

What, another Council of Elrond? Gandalf this time, I think.
*after looking at clues* Nope, first and only CoE.

Interesting quiz, squire, thank you! Who'd have thought those in Middle-earth had such interest in geek websites on the Internet?

Sly

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

(This post was edited by dernwyn on Apr 27 2011, 9:35pm)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 30 2011, 2:45am

Post #5 of 6 (132 views)
Shortcut
What a gentleman :D [In reply to] Can't Post

Giving us clue when all other hope is gone at trying to figure these out :D

Here's my very embarrassing attempt!

--Gandalf talking to Frodo in Bag End about the hsitory of the Ring and what would happen if Sauron got it... from The Shadow of the Past.

--no clue! :{

--booger... :}

--I know this one! :D Galadriel is telling Frodo what she "wants" after he asked her what she wanted when he had looked into the mirror... in the Mirror of Galadriel.

--that sounds like the appendices... somewhere!

--- I'm so bad...

--Faramir has finally understood Frodo's Quest and that he has the Ring when he's talking with Frodo and Sam in the Window of the West.

--I think it's back with Gandalf and Frodo in Bag End still explaining about the Ring.

---still so bad!

--The Council of Elrond when Elrond it telling the tale of the Ring.

Yep... I've definitely GOT to start reading other things ;) Thanks so much, squire!! As always... Totally Cool!! :D

Happy 12th!

sample sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

ElanorTX
Grey Havens

May 2 2011, 6:48pm

Post #6 of 6 (157 views)
Shortcut
your wrong answers are more amusing than the right ones // [In reply to] Can't Post

"I shall not wholly fail if anything can still grow fair in days to come."

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.