Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
Founders Day ---- Who Said It?

tennie75
Lorien

Apr 26 2011, 11:02am

Post #1 of 10 (397 views)
Shortcut
Founders Day ---- Who Said It? Can't Post

The movies “The Fellowship of the Ring”, “The Two Towers”, and “The Return of the King” were based on books of the same names written by everyone’s favorite professor, JRR Tolkien. PJ and company kept much of the dialogue the same – but some statements were given to different characters in the transition from book to movie. The object of this game is to take each statement given – tell who said it in the move, who said it in the book, and if the circumstances are the same, different, or similar.

Here is an example of how to give your answers:

“I don’t know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.”

Movie: Bilbo
Book: Bilbo
Circumstances: The same – Bilbo’s speech at his Eleventy-first birthday party.

I found ten examples while viewing “The Fellowship of the Ring” – EE. That means if you like this I can do it two more times! At least!

Examples given are movie quotes – book quotes may not be word for word, but are close enough.

Ready?

1. Seem fairer & feel fouler
2. Noro lim, noro lim, Asfaloth
3. It’s moving fast and against the wind
4. There is a fell voice on the air
5. This will be the death of the halflings
6. Dwarf doors are invisible when closed – their own masters cannot find them if their secrets are forgotten.
7. Who gave Gandalf the hint for the password at the Gates of Moria?
8. “I wish none of this had happened.” “So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.”
9. He was taken by both shadow and flame
10. The Quest stands upon the edge of a knife. Stray but a little and it will fail, to the ruin of all. Yet hope remains, while all the Company is true.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

(This post was edited by tennie75 on Apr 26 2011, 11:07am)

Bombadil
Half-elven

Apr 26 2011, 4:40pm

Post #2 of 10 (225 views)
Shortcut
Answers [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Frodo ---about this new Guide, as Aragorn takes them into the Wild. 2. Arwen ----to her horse "run Faster" in Elvish 3. Boromir ----near Caradahas 4. Legolas ---High on the Pass in the SnowStorm

5. Boromir ----also about Retreating and getting out of there. 6. Gimli ----near the Walls of Moria 7. Frodo --- "It's a Riddle, What's the Elvish word for Friend?"

8. Frodo first---Then Gandalf's response while lost in Moria 9. Legolas ----to Galadriel and Celeborn 10. Galadrial to the Fellowship and they cut to Sam (the True Hero of the LOTR. in my mind!)
xoxoThanks That was fun
I'm always watching my EE versions with English SubTitles ,I'm Old and My hearing isn't so Great, and I like NOT to miss a single word Dialogue EVEN during the Sword Fights...
OldBombadil

KAOS82
Rohan

Apr 26 2011, 10:53pm

Post #3 of 10 (199 views)
Shortcut
you gave the movie answers [In reply to] Can't Post

in example, "noro lim Asfaloth" is said by Glorfindel in the book...
however nice game Wink

TÚRIN TURAMBAR DAGNIR GLAURUNGA & NIENOR NÍNIEL

tennie75
Lorien

Apr 27 2011, 2:08am

Post #4 of 10 (193 views)
Shortcut
answers [In reply to] Can't Post

Answers:

Movie: Frodo
Book: Frodo
Circumstances: same- referring to Strider as he leads the hobbits from Bree into the wild.
Movie: Arwen
Book: Glorfindel
Circumstances: Similar – taking/sending Frodo from the danger of the Black Riders to the safety of Rivendell
Movie: Boromir
Book: Aragorn – “It was moving fast then, and not with the wind.”
Circumstances: Similar – Boromir in the daylight approaching Caradhras, Aragorn at night.
Movie: Legolas
Book: Boromir “There are fell voices on the air”
Circumstances: same – on the slopes of Caradhras
Movie: Boromir
Book: Boromir
Circumstances: same – also on the slopes of Caradhras
6. Dwarf doors are invisible when closed – their own masters cannot find them if their secrets are forgotten.
Movie: Gimli and Gandalf
Book: Gimli only “Dwarf doors are not made to be seen when shut. They are invisible and their own masters cannot find them or open them if their secret is forgotten.”
Circumstances: Same, searching for the entrance to Moria
Movie: Merry” What do you suppose that means?” Frodo (later) “What is the word for ‘friend’?”
Book: Merry “What does it mean by “Speak friend and enter”
Circumstances: same – outside the Gates of Moria
8. “I wish none of this had happened.” “So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.”
Movie: Frodo and Gandalf
Book: Frodo and Gandalf.
Circumstances differ: Movie – in the Mines of Moria. Book: in Bag End
Movie: Legolas
Book: Aragorn “It was both a shadow and a flame, strong and terrible” Circumstances: same – reference to Gandalf’s fall in Moria
10. The Quest stands upon the edge of a knife. Stray but a little and it will fail, to the ruin of all. Yet hope remains, while all the Company is true.
Movie: Galadriel
Book: Galadriel
Circumstances: same – the Fellowship meets the Lord and Lady of Lothlorien

mendil
Rivendell

Apr 27 2011, 8:56pm

Post #5 of 10 (186 views)
Shortcut
Answers [In reply to] Can't Post

Movie: Frodo, to Merry, of Strider, after joining Strider and leaving The Prancing Pony.
Book: Frodo, to Strider, of Strider, while considering joining Strider in the Prancing Pony

Movie: Arwen, to her horse, near Weathertop, as she urges Asfaloth to carry her and Frodo to Rivendell.
Book: Glorfindel, to his horse, near the Ford, as he urges Asfaloth to carry Frodo (alone) across the ford.

Movie: Boromir, upon first sighting crebain from Dunland, responding to Gimli, who thought it a wisp of cloud.
Book: Aragorn, upon first sighting crebain from Dunland, responding to Gandalf, who thought it a wisp of cloud.

Movie: Legolas, in the Pass of Caradhras, just before Gandalf recognizes Saruman
Book: Boromir, in the Pass of Caradhras, just before the Fellowship argues about continuing on

Movie: Borimir, to all of the Fellowship, of the cold and snow in the Pass of Caradhras
Book: Borimir, to Gandalf, of the cold and snow in the Pass of Caradhras

Movie: Gimli, to Gandalf, of Durin's Gate into Moria
Book: Gimli, to Gandalf, of Durin's Gate into Moria

Movie: Frodo, after announcing it is "a riddle"
Book: no one, as Gandalf deduced it himself

Movie: Frodo, then Gandalf, in Moria, after discussing the pity of Bilbo for Gollum
Book: Frodo, then Gandalf, in Bag End, after discovering the fiery letters.

Movie: Legolas, to Galadriel and Celeborn, in Lothlorien.
Book: no one (Aragorn says "it was shadow and flame", but Frodo said "he fell", to Galadriel and Celeborn, in Lothlorien.)

Movie: Galadriel, to Frodo, upon first meeting
Book: Galadriel, to Frodo, upon first meeting

"... But of bliss and glad life there is little to be said, before it ends; as works fair and wonderful, while still they endure for eyes to see, are their own record, and only when they are in peril or broken for ever do they pass into song."

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 30 2011, 12:50pm

Post #6 of 10 (193 views)
Shortcut
This is Most Excellent!!! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

WOW! I'm SO impressed :D If it's okay with you, tennie, I'd like to add this to the Geeky Observersation Tidbits list I'm currently updating :)

Now.... let's see how well I can embarrass myself as I do this from my most feeble memory :D

BOOK: Frodo says it to Strider in the Hobbit's room at the Pony after reading Gandalf's letter
FILM: Frodo says it to Merry & the Hobbits as they're following Strider into the Wild from Bree

BOOK: Glorfindle cries it to Asfaloth as Frodo sits atop the horse and the Black Riders appear
FILM: Arwen says it twice... once when she first rides from the Company with Frodo on Asfaloth, then again as the Black Riders catch up with them... Asfaloth redoubles his speed *goosebumps*

BOOK: [the wording is a bit different] Aragorn comments feeling something pass overhead as they travelled from Hollin (probably Nazgul)
FILM: Boromir says it after Legolas spots the flock of Crebain flying towards them as they travel from Rivendell and before turning to Caradhras

BOOK: Caradhras and Boromir says it as he hears the wind howl.
FILM: Legolas says it on Caradhras as he looks into the wind and snow.

BOOK: Boromir says it on Caradhras
FILM: Boromir again says it as they come to the conclusion they can go no further on Caradhras when covered with an avalanche.

BOOK: Gimli says it as they approach the doors of Moria.
FILM: Gandalf says it as they approach the doors of Moria.

BOOK: Merry had made a comment that reminded Gandalf of the password outside the closed doors of Moria.
FILM: Frodo asks Gandalf what the elvish word was for friend, and Gandalf says it without realizng it's the password.

BOOK: Frodo and Gandalf speak this to each other at Bag End when it's revealed he has the One Ring.
FILM: The same exchange (slightly different wording), but they're sitting in the Mines of Moira and just spotted Gollum following them.

BOOK: Aragorn tells of Gandalf's battle with the Balrog to Cirdan and Galadriel at Lothlorien
FILM: Legolas says it to Cirdan and Galadriel as they stand on the flet in Lothlorien

BOOK: Galadriel says it to the Fellowship in Lothlorien after hearing of Gandalf's fall
FILM: Galadriel says it to the Fellowship in Lothlorien after hearing of Gandalf's fall

Wow... Still Wow, tennie. Thank you for doing this! Wonderful! I knew there were some very loyal references from the text tot he film, but this collection really gives me a greater appreciation for the reverence Fran and Philippa gave to this adaptation. *bows low* I'm so delighted!!! *hugs*

sample sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

tennie75
Lorien

Apr 30 2011, 2:08pm

Post #7 of 10 (242 views)
Shortcut
thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the kind words, Gramma. There actually are many more direct quotes book-to-movie, but I didn't list all. I picked some that I thought would be challenging. Most of the direct quotes were same character/same situation.

Please use my research and I am humbled that you think it worthwhile.

PS you did a great job - I would never have been able to catch all of these if I hadn't been reading the book WHILE watching the movie!

weaver
Half-elven

May 4 2011, 8:36pm

Post #8 of 10 (156 views)
Shortcut
Would you believe it took me 2 weeks to come up with these answers? [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, to come up with the time to answer anyway! I hate it when RL interferes with my fan-work!

1. Seem fairer & feel fouler -- Frodo in both cases. Talking to Sam about Aragorn. Or, Gandalf, when he was the umpire in that cut scene of the baseball game at Bilbo's party. Film only for that one, of course.

2. Noro lim, noro lim, Asfaloth -- Glorfindel, in the books telling his horse to high tail it to save Frodo. Arwen in the movie, telling the same thing to her horse. Or, Shadowfax, talking in his sleep about a certain racy filly he met in Rohan...I think that's in the appendices. Left it out for the film to keep the PG 13 rating.

3. It’s moving fast and against the wind -- Boromir, in the films. Someone other than Boromir in the books. Both when they see crebain around Caradhras, I think. Unless it was the Middle Earth Air Traffic Controller tracking the flight of the Eagles into Mordor. See HOME, the Play by Play commentary Tolkien considered at one point.

4. There is a fell voice on the air -- Legolas in the films, about Saruman, same scene as above. He gets all these kinds of lines in the films. In the books, well, no clue..though it could be a reference to someone listening to the Sharky radio show, maybe?

5. This will be the death of the halflings -- Boromir, both book and film, in the snowstorm on Caradhras. That comment has also been made about certain meals I've cooked for my family...(and I'm not kidding on this one!)

6. Dwarf doors are invisible when closed – their own masters cannot find them if their secrets are forgotten. -- Gandalf, showing off how much he knows. Both book and film, outside Moria. And in my home, my son has used some version of this regarding his missing homework papers...

7. Who gave Gandalf the hint for the password at the Gates of Moria? -- Merry in the books, Frodo in the films. And Radagast, in the great Istari Password Game, when that was on the daytime Palantir program schedule.

8. “I wish none of this had happened.” “So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.” -- Gandalf, to Frodo in Bag End in the books, in Moria in the films. And another comment made in my kitchen when no one can figure out what to make for dinner.

9. He was taken by both shadow and flame -- Legolas in the film and book (I think this is an EE line?), in Lothlorien. -- Also said by Merry to Pippin about one of his hamburgers on the grill that "accidentally" fell into the charcoal. See abandoned concepts for Bilbo's Party, FOTR EE appendices disk #1.

-- Galadriel in the films, Celeborn in the books? In Lothlorien. This was an early rumor about the films, when it was thought that Jackson would include an homage to one of his favorite old TV cartoons, Johnny Quest. You can find the whole article in Spy Reports on the Old TORn Site link.

Fun quiz -- glad it was still here when I finally had time to play it! Happy Belated Founders Day to you, tennie75! Maybe, you can do TTT next year!

Weaver

tennie75
Lorien

May 5 2011, 11:21am

Post #9 of 10 (152 views)
Shortcut
love your answers! thanks for playing!// [In reply to] Can't Post

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 7 2011, 11:53am

Post #10 of 10 (217 views)
Shortcut
It's a great game! [In reply to] Can't Post

And you done it proud! ;) *high five*

sample sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.