Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
**Founders Day - Scavenger Hunt!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 26 2011, 10:23am

Post #1 of 5 (169 views)
Shortcut
**Founders Day - Scavenger Hunt! Can't Post

Greetings all! As part of our Celebration, I'd like to take you on a tour of TheOneRing.net. Do you see all those links on the left side of this page? How many of them have you never clicked on? Get your mouse or touch pad ready - we're going to explore them for a Scavenger Hunt!

You know, of course, what happens when you click on "Home": you're taken to the Main Page of TORn. Have you noticed a new feature there? The TORn Message Boards Weekly Roundup! This has been around since March, and provides links to the current hot topics -- right here, on these Boards!
1. Which two TORnsibs are responsible for providing this feature?
2. This week's article features a photo of who - or what?

The Hobbit takes you to the general Hobbit news; The Hobbit - Movie Headlines, Casting Rumors, and Book feature those articles which are more specific to these areas. The same with Lord of the Rings and its subheadings. And those articles are also seen on these Boards.

But what of The Hobbit - Cast? Click on that to find out more about all the confirmed cast members!
3. Which Peter Jackson films has Jed Brophy already appeared in?
4. What profession did Sylvester McCoy train for, as a teen - and what is his real name?
5. Where was Saoirse Ronan born - and do you know how to pronounce her first name?

What about the characters they'll play? Click on The Hobbit - Characters, for the backgrounds of all the primary Hobbit characters, and more!
6. What is one thing which Thranduil (the Elvenking) said to Bilbo?
7. How old was Dwalin when he died?
8. What are two of the "aliases" Bilbo gave the Spiders?

Now click on Peter Jackson.
9. What video series can you find here?
10. Name someone, or something, that is shown in a photo with PJ.

Let's go to Events.
11. What are some of the LotR-related places you can visit, if you take the Cruise to Middle-earth?
12. What is the title of an online Tolkien course you can take in May?

And take a look at Merchandise.
13. Who is the artist of the Long Expected Party 2 Calendar?
14. What is the subject of Daniel Reeve's delightful map which "fills a gap" for tour groups?
15. Did you order your T-shirt?

Now click on The Scrapbook - and be prepared to be astonished! This is the collection of all the images TORn has collected over the years. The page may take a few moments to load, be patient!
16. How many images relating to Boromir are there?
17. How many for Sean Bean?
18. How many for the 2004 Return of the One Party?

Next we'll go to About TORn. This is the "biography" of this site!
19. Which Founder actually visited the LotR sets?
20. IEC (Invisible Extra Credit): can you guess which Founder lost a bet, and had to attend an event dressed as Arwen?

Click on Advertising - yes, go ahead! This is where you can request advertising space - and it has other information, as well.
21. How many monthly visitors are there, to TORn?

Click on Contact Us. This is the page for Spy Reports - very important!
22. Name three of the "departments" you can send Spy Reports to.

Poll Archive appears to have nothing in it...so let's skip to the very end: Old TORn Site. Heart
23. Do you remember visiting this site back in these days?
24. Down at the bottom of the page is the link to the News Archives. What is the very earliest day you can access for news?

Answers will be posted later, if you really need them! Laugh Have fun! Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

Rosie-with-the-ribbons
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 26 2011, 11:35am

Post #2 of 5 (90 views)
Shortcut
I struggled [In reply to] Can't Post

through all the Stack Overflows, feeling like Frodo in Shelobs tunnels. And visited all the places that this wonderful site has to offer (which took me my entire lunch break, but a lunch break well spend). Great questions Dernwyn!

You know, of course, what happens when you click on "Home": you're taken to the Main Page of TORn. Have you noticed a new feature there? The TORn Message Boards Weekly Roundup! This has been around since March, and provides links to the current hot topics -- right here, on these Boards!
Gramma and Big Sis (aka Kel), you see, it is all in the family Wink
Smaug on his gold

The Hobbit takes you to the general Hobbit news; The Hobbit - Movie Headlines, Casting Rumors, and Book feature those articles which are more specific to these areas. The same with Lord of the Rings and its subheadings. And those articles are also seen on these Boards.

But what of The Hobbit - Cast? Click on that to find out more about all the confirmed cast members!
Braindead, Heavenly Creatures, FotR, TTT, RotK
4. What profession did Sylvester McCoy train for, as a teen - and what is his real name?
Priest - Percy James Patrick Kent-Smith
5. Where was Saoirse Ronan born - and do you know how to pronounce her first name?
New York City, NY, USA
I think it is pronounced as Seersha (at least that’s how PJ pronounced it in some behind the scene footage from The Lovely Bones)

What about the characters they'll play? Click on The Hobbit - Characters, for the backgrounds of all the primary Hobbit characters, and more!
Elf-friend
340 (and now I hope I did count correctly)
Attercop, Lazy Cob

The Hobbit in 5
Andy Serkis’s daughter Ruby

Let's go to Events.
11. What are some of the LotR-related places you can visit, if you take the Cruise to Middle-earth?
Hobbiton, Edoras, Rohan
J.R.R. Tolkien: Myth and Middle-earth in Context

Jeff Murray
14. What is the subject of Daniel Reeve's delightful map which "fills a gap" for tour groups?
Wellywood Map (and it is really pretty!)
Yes, the Lousy t-shirt is hopefully coming my way very soon

Now click on The Scrapbook - and be prepared to be astonished! This is the collection of all the images TORn has collected over the years. The page may take a few moments to load, be patient!
239 (and now I have to stop looking at them, otherwise I’ll never finish)

Tehanu
20. IEC (Invisible Extra Credit): can you guess which Founder lost a bet, and had to attend an event dressed as Arwen?
Calisuri (he looks so gorgeous with that long hair)

Click on Advertising - yes, go ahead! This is where you can request advertising space - and it has other information, as well.
187,856 (wow, that's many, and I'm one of them Smile)

Just saying Hi! (what a cool name, hi!)
Tolkien Questions
Barlimans Chatroom

Poll Archive appears to have nothing in it...so let's skip to the very end: Old TORn Site.
No Frown I’m a newbie in that regard. I have been brought up with the New Site.
24. Down at the bottom of the page is the link to the News Archives. What is the very earliest day you can access for news?
April 10 1999 (even before the founding, wow)

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Apr 26 2011, 12:14pm

Post #3 of 5 (86 views)
Shortcut
No time to explore thoroughly, butt... [In reply to] Can't Post

On the scrapbook page, whatever happened to the new scrapbook engine update? XD The poor page is struggling by with all the media.

My LiveJournal ~ My artwork and photography

NARF since age 8, when I refused to read the Hobbit because the cover looked boring and icky.

Magpie
Immortal

Apr 27 2011, 3:51am

Post #4 of 5 (91 views)
Shortcut
I'll take a stab at a few [In reply to] Can't Post

gramma & Kelvarhin
smaug

King Kong, ROTK, TTT, Heavenly Creatures, Dead Alive/Brainded, Lovely Bones (as stuntie)
priest, Percy James Patrick Kent-Smith
NYC - no (and that is a correct answer if you're grading my test!)

“May your shadow never grow less (or stealing would be too easy)!”
340 (holy moley... is that right?)
I don't know. Is that on the character page for Bilbo?

Not sure what you mean unless you mean the Hobbit in 5 video that shows up on the first page of articles for PJ
Andy Serkis' daughter... can't remember her name off hand

Let's go to Events.
Hobbiton, Edoras and Rohan are all there, as well as Australian locations such as the Blue Mountains or a climb on the Sydney Harbor Bridge
J.R.R. Tolkien: Myth and Middle-earth in Context

Jef Murray
Wellington’s film sites
no. Do you know how stupid I look in tshirts?!?

Goodness sake, dernwyn... you are quite the quiz master!

scrapbook still loading... will move onto other questions. 173

Tehanu
Calisuri - no guessing needed. I've seen the pics.

Spy Reports
News & Information
Tolkien Questions

Poll Archive appears to have nothing in it...so let's skip to the very end: Old TORn Site. Heart
oh yeah... it was my home page for quite awhile. I checked it at least a dozen times a day.
I spend lots of time in these archives!

4/10/99, 12:00 am EST - Xoanon MATAMATA - A secret start has been made on the mega-budget film Lord of the Rings in the central Waikato.

The New Zealand Herald has discovered that soldiers, earth-movers and builders have been working for two weeks amid the rolling hills and trees of a private farm between Matamata and Karapiro.

All involved have been sworn to secrecy about the $260 million trilogy, and movie staff yesterday pleaded that the site be kept secret.

A spokeswoman for the film firm Three Foot Six, Sian Clement, said she was worried that movie zealots would flock to the farm if they found out about the work. "You just have to look on the Internet to see the fanatic interest."

The start of a movie set can now be seen from nearby hills. Tracks, graders, heavy machinery, Army vehicles and tents stretch up to 1km into farm paddocks.

The farm's owner, Ian Alexander, said he had been involved since October. "They just arrived out of the blue," he said. "There's been a bit of activity, a bit of action, but they've only just started doing things for real." Mr Alexander said the set was being built on a few hectares in the corner of one of his three blocks, but he refused to give more detail. "It's all being kept very quiet," he said. "I'm just a common old cocky with a few bloody sheep running around."
The movie trilogy is based on a series of fantasy books by JRR Tolkien. They will be shot by Wellington film-maker Peter Jackson with 15,000 actors, and a bigger budget than any other movie project in the Southern Hemisphere.

It is understood that the set will include a mock-up of the village Hobbiton, central to the story. Sets will also be built at other sites. A worker for Okoroire Excavators said he visited the farm more than a week ago, but had been asked to say nothing about it. "I'm not even sure who we're working for," he said. Army and Defence Ministry staff were more secretive than a bevy of bashful hobbits. They passed all calls to a press officer, Wing Commander John Seward, who did not return the calls. The Minister of Defence, Max Bradford, earlier said that soldiers would work for two or three days as extras, and would be paid normal movie rates by producers. Fourteen soldiers staying at the Okoroire Hot Springs Hotel have been visiting the movie set for more than a week, and are expected to stay up to three weeks longer. A staff member at the hotel said: "It's very hush-hush. I don't know what the hell they're doing, and as long as they pay their bills I don't care."

Well, I did more than few. But it was pretty easy with all that information at the end of a click!

LOTR soundtrack website
magpie avatar gallery ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

(This post was edited by Magpie on Apr 27 2011, 3:52am)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 1 2011, 2:07am

Post #5 of 5 (76 views)
Shortcut
A Quest!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

To go on a HUNT!!! Whoa... this is going to be either very painful or very rewarding... but I know it's gonna be fun!!!

Thanks for doing this, dernwyn!! I haven't stopped to look around TORn for a long, long time!

1. uh.... I know Kelvarhin is a genius at those Roundups; but I hear the other one helping is kinda unreliable ;)

2. A dragon cake! Tastes like chicken, I hear ;)

3. Jed Brophy has been in 6 of Peter's films. LotR (3 parts), Braindead, Heavenly Creatures and one that needs to be added to his bio... King Kong. He was one of the Venture crewmembers.

4. Wow... McCoy wanted to be a priest? Cool :)

5. Saoirse Ronan is from Ireland and she pronounces her name as sur-shuh.

6. One of the things Thranduil said to Bilbo, “May your shadow never grow less (or stealing would be too easy)!”

7. Dwalin was 340 years old when he passed away!

8. Two of Bilbo's aliases for the Spiders are Lazy Lob and Crazy Cob.

9. I see the Hobbit-in-5 series (which is AWESOME)

10. LOOKIE THERE! I see an Elf-lord standing with our NZ Wizard!! :D *twitch & squee*

11. Cruising along, we can visit Edoras AND Hobbiton! I WANNA GO!!!!

12. J.R.R. Tolkien: Myth and Middle-earth in Context

13. oooo! That Calendar by Jef Murray looks Yummy!!

14. It's a Wellywood Map of tour locations! (which I got and it's totally cool!)

15. Orderd TWO!!!! :D

16. There are 148 Boromir images in the Scrapbook! WOW!!

17. There are 72 Sean Bean pics :D

18. 239 Oscar Party 2004 Pics! *spasm*

19. Tehanu visited the LotR sites... even when she wasn't supposed to! ;)

20. OH!! The Bet-Loser!! I know this one without looking! Calisuri paid off the bet by dressing up as Arwen and became the belle of the ball! :D

21. Geez! We have 191, 542 monthly visitors? Wow!

22. Three of the depts to send spy reports are Tolkien Questions, General Inquiries AND where to send a Spy Report!

23. *sigh* I still miss our old TORn home, but this one has definitely won my heart :) Yeah... I remember those action-packed days!

24. The earlies news article was posted on April 10, 1999.

*heartfelt applause* Geez, dernwyn... you really outdid yourself! What a great idea to bring people to the various rooms here in TORn :)

*high five* Well Done!! *MODS WAY UP*

sample sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.