Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
**Founders Day - Getting to Know Your TORn party people
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Rosie-with-the-ribbons
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 26 2011, 6:37am

Post #1 of 38 (531 views)
Shortcut
**Founders Day - Getting to Know Your TORn party people Can't Post

Happy Founders Day!!!

And as my mother has told me, you have to properly introduce yourself to the other guests at the party.
So how better to start than with a Getting to Know Your TORn party people thread:

1. When and why did you join TORn?
2. What were you doing on April 26th 1999?
3. What's the most fun/crazy thing you've done, because of joining TORn?
4. What is the best, most amazing party you have ever been to?

Have a great day everybody!

Rosie-with-the-ribbons
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 26 2011, 6:56am

Post #2 of 38 (403 views)
Shortcut
Well, hello everybody [In reply to] Can't Post

and of course I have to properly introduce myself as well:

When and why did you join TORn?
December 2007. This was after the official announcement that they were going to film The Hobbit. I was sure this place would again be first to get all the best information there was and this time I wanted to be here. For LOTR I didn't hear or find TORn until 2005. I had heard TORn mentioned in the appendices for organising the Oscar's party, but I just thought it was some kind of a big organisation that put together parties. But while traveling in NZ I met a couple who had been to that party. So I did lurk a bit but didn't feel that brave to really join, and I thought nothing would be happening when there weren't movies made (was I wrong Wink). So when the news finally came they were going to make The Hobbit (has it been that long ago, pffff) I just joined, was totally freaked out when I got a reply to my first post welcoming me and enjoyed it all the while.
What were you doing on April 26 1999?
Uhm, uhm, uhm. Just googled it and it was a Monday and not a holiday in Holland. So I probably was working. I was working at a lawyer at that moment with the most horrible lawyer you could ever think of. And I was very busy finding a new job. Which I did find later that year and started in August in a new job. Well, that isn't as exciting as founding a place called TheOneRing.net, but I think TPTB didn't think we would be celebrating that day 12 years later Smile.

What's the most fun/crazy thing you've done, because of joining TORn?
I think the first "crazy" thing I did was going to RingCon after reading about all the fun at Con's here on TORn. Going dressed up as a Hobbit (in my Sound of Music dress, how versatile that dress is Wink). And that was just my big jump into a total "crazy" world. Now I go to RingCon, Elf Fantasy Fair and Castle Fest and I own several costumes I made myself.

The most fun thing must have been going to New York to see FOTR and TTT with the live music in RCMH and meeting a lot of TORn friends in real life. I'm so looking forward to going back for RotK!
What is the best, most amazing party you have ever been to?
The biggest party was from work. They celebrated a 15 year anniversary and all the staff with partner had been invited. Which were over 6000 people. They had the party in a couple of big halls with food from all over the world, a fun fair, silent disco, various acts and Ilse DeLange (a famous Dutch singer) performed.
The party I was most involved with was my brother's wedding. A great day in March with only rain when we were inside and even some sun when we were outside. A very moving ceremony and a fun party at night.

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Apr 26 2011, 8:19am

Post #3 of 38 (358 views)
Shortcut
Hiya ;) [In reply to] Can't Post

Well I joined the Message Boards in April 2008, but I've been involved with the site since shortly after it started back in 1999. First just visiting the Homepage, then lurking the Message Boards and then Spying for TORn. A friend of mine told me about it and the two of us used to sit chatting on ICQ and discussing the discussions on the Message Board. We also used to hang out in Barlis Chatroom, but I can't remember the nicknames we used, much too long ago WinkLaugh

Laugh2. What were you doing on April 26th 1999?

Um, probably trying to avoid throwing up, I was 4 months pregnant with No 2 son then and suffering from extreme morning sickness Frown

Probably the most fun and crazy thing I've done because of joining TORn was contacting the VIP's for the 10th Anniversary Tribute post over on Feedback. For someone who's incredibly shy in RL, I still can't believe I did that LOL. The craziest thing I've gotten people to do on TORn is sending me photos of themselves as Babies so I could post them in the two GTKY threads with a twist Laugh

Oooo tough one! Probably a toss-up between my 21st Birthday Party and my Wedding. In both cases people didn't want the fun to end, there were still bodies all over the house the day after my 21st and people kept asking Mr Kel and I if we were going to renew our vows the following year so we could party on again LOL

Cheers Baby Sis, great questions Heart

Bag ENZ Home of the Hobbit *with thanks to cameragod ;D*

One by one they faded, and fell into shadow...

One book to rule them all
One book to find them
One book to bring them all
And in TORn bind them
In the land of TORnadoes...where the brilliant play

~TORnado Babies 2009~ ~TORnado Babies 2010~
~10th Anniversary Thank You Cards to VIP's~ ~Laerasea's Travelling TORn Journal~

And back again
Rivendell

Apr 26 2011, 8:37am

Post #4 of 38 (341 views)
Shortcut
Let's see... [In reply to] Can't Post

I joined soon after the first film came out and I came back from the cinema with my head reeling and I had little idea what a journey the whole experience would lead me on.

If it was a Monday, then I'd be working as PA to the Management of a Japanese pharmaceutical company in London. And I was thoroughly miserable. The people were okay; the work was too easy and unchallenging - and there wasn't enough of it. I had to try to look busy in an open plan office with everyone peering over my shoulder.

Probably the two Red Carpet Tours in NZ. The first was the Premier Tour. This coincided with the premier of ROTK in Wellington in 2003. There were about 120 people from 16 different countries there. I met up with a couple of people from TORn there. The second time was in January 2007. Only about 8 of us so we could go into smaller places or have more 'intimate' encounters: the calligrapher from LOTR and King Kong, the people who made the elven cloaks as well as clothes for Narnia, Gimli's stunt double and so on.

I'm not really a party goer. But I suppose it would have to be the Premier Party in Wellington in 2003. It was attended by Bruce Hopkins, John Noble, Boyd Tolkien, Sean Astin, Ian McKellen, Laurence Makaore and at least one of the extras from TTT (the one with the missing eye that you see in Helm's Deep).

I will go there ... and back again.

Starling
Half-elven

Apr 26 2011, 9:28am

Post #5 of 38 (337 views)
Shortcut
Party like it's 1999? [In reply to] Can't Post

January 2008, I think. I knew about TORn for ages, but I didn't have internet access at home and only limited use at work, so I didn't join until relatively recently. I only managed to lurk for the grand total of one week before the urge to post got the better of me.
Well, if it was a weekday then I would have been at work, doing the same job I am doing now. I am a special needs teacher in an attached unit in a primary school. The only difference now is that I'm the boss!
Going to Edoras and engaging in a sword fight with my mother in law must count as a highlight. I have also met some lovely people in real life through this community.
I don't know why this one is coming back to me, but I went to an exceptionally good cocktail party in the late 80's. It was held in a fantastic central city apartment with polished wooden floors. I remember I fell over numerous times, but didn't feel a thing. Wink We definitely partied like it was 1989. I was with a great bunch of people, the music was terrific, and the host was a vibrant and engaging friend of a friend. How strange it is now to realise that the building was destroyed in the earthquake, and the host, a promising medical student, was killed in a car crash a few years after that epic party. It is some comfort to know that he lived his short life to the absolute fullest.

*Cheers*

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 26 2011, 10:13am

Post #6 of 38 (332 views)
Shortcut
Your Mother is very wise :D [In reply to] Can't Post

Howdy Rosie! This is the perfect way to start a party!! THANKS!!! :D

...I joined TORn around January 8, 2002 after finding my way here through a link at the "official" website (now defunct). I joined that site on Christmas Day 2001; but once I found TORn... that was it :) I've been here ever since.

...I was wandering in the woods.... lost... lost... never knowing my precious TORn was building this wonderful home for me :D Golly, I didn't even know they were making movies of my favourite story!

...Travelling and going to conventions! I've gone to bunches of moots and conventions and made it to New Zealand, for Pete's sake! My days have been the best since finding TORn.

...There's a tie. Thanks to fate and a most generous sibbie, I made it to the 2004 Oscars and led the PEEEETER! PEEEETER! chant in that massive hall while the cast/crew stood on the stage to share their Oscar Sweep with us! AND the other would be attending the wedding of Roheryn and NZStrider shortly after that. Yeah... those two are totally tied :)

Great Questions, Rosie-w-t-r! Thanks so much for doing this :) Happy TORniversary, m'dear!

sample sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Apr 26 2011, 10:14am)

Rosie-with-the-ribbons
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 26 2011, 10:30am

Post #7 of 38 (329 views)
Shortcut
Ow, the 10th anniversary [In reply to] Can't Post

I forgot to mention that one with my great parties. Wow, was that a blast. I was screarming and jumping up and down the entire time somebody new posted. I still have that video where folks from Weta are singing Happy Birthday, how cool was that!

And if you ever renew your vows I'm coming over. That surely must be a party to remember!

Thanks for helping me with the questions! Heart

Rosie-with-the-ribbons
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 26 2011, 10:36am

Post #8 of 38 (328 views)
Shortcut
The Premier Party in Wellington [In reply to] Can't Post

WOW! I wished I had been there. But at that time I never figured things like that were happening. I just waited (impatiently) for the movies to come to my local theatre. That really must have been an amazing experience, being there. When I see the images on the appendices I always wish I was there.

Rosie-with-the-ribbons
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 26 2011, 10:41am

Post #9 of 38 (323 views)
Shortcut
A sword fight [In reply to] Can't Post

with your mother in law. That sounds very dangerous and one could get a really wrong idea about you Wink. But I was in a sword fight on the Pellenor Fields with a great friend, so I know how a sword fight just matches with a LOTR location.
Isn't Edoras just wonderful! I just loved being there, those mountains surrounding you and the wind blowing, ahhhh, how I love to go back.

Your party sounds amazing. Too bad now you also have two lesser memories to go with it. But still a fond memory of a location and a friend.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 26 2011, 11:13am

Post #10 of 38 (319 views)
Shortcut
I'm SO glad you took the leap [In reply to] Can't Post

and joined for The Hobbit! WE LUCKED OUT THAT DAY!!!

It was SO much fun being roomies in NYC! I can't wait for RotK to get scheduled and cross my fingers that we can both get there :D

*massive hug* PARTY ON, ROSIE!!!

sample sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

Starling
Half-elven

Apr 26 2011, 11:21am

Post #11 of 38 (315 views)
Shortcut
Just for you [In reply to] Can't Post

I want to go back, too. I love the high country, wind and all.

And back again
Rivendell

Apr 26 2011, 11:34am

Post #12 of 38 (315 views)
Shortcut
Just for all of you [In reply to] Can't Post

http://s158.photobucket.com/albums/t110/nina_glyndwr/LOTR/

The oscars at Weta Workshop's board room.

Me and Lurtz (lobby of Weta)

Me, the flag and Edoras.

All from January 2007. (I look very different now)

Rosie-with-the-ribbons
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 26 2011, 11:39am

Post #13 of 38 (313 views)
Shortcut
We had so much fun in NYC [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm still remembering that wonderful day to the Statue of Liberty. We had so much fun and later all realising we still had the best part of that day coming with the concert in the evening. Ah, what a fond memories Smile

*massive hug* for you too darling!

Rosie-with-the-ribbons
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 26 2011, 11:42am

Post #14 of 38 (310 views)
Shortcut
Wow, real swords [In reply to] Can't Post

we just used the plumes that were standing in the fields, photo, I'm the one in the orange jacket at the left side Smile.

Rosie-with-the-ribbons
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 26 2011, 11:46am

Post #15 of 38 (307 views)
Shortcut
What a great pictures [In reply to] Can't Post

I love those candy bars next to the Oscars, now you can see the worth of a candy bar Wink

(This post was edited by Rosie-with-the-ribbons on Apr 26 2011, 11:47am)

And back again
Rivendell

Apr 26 2011, 11:47am

Post #16 of 38 (304 views)
Shortcut
ahhh. [In reply to] Can't Post

When I was there in 2003, some of the group didn't do a sword fight, but they did do a fake 'cavalry charge'. Hilarious.

A fake Aragorn did face up to the Uruk-hai coming up Amon Hen, though.

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Apr 26 2011, 12:35pm

Post #17 of 38 (309 views)
Shortcut
Hey hey everyone! [In reply to] Can't Post

Ooh, I should be sleeping... but here I am partying!

I joined in the summer of 2004, either right before or right after the Comic Con in San Diego. I had followed the website for a few months irregularly, but never really thought about joining until then, I guess. It does help that my love for LOTR was rejuvenated by the convention... and it has been getting worse ever since ;)

I, believe it or not, actually know for sure what I was doing. I got out an old diary of mine for a project I did recently and haven't put it back away. It covers the first few months of 1999. I was nine years old (yea, I know...). I was in fourth grade. The day before, I discovered that a classmate of mine lost his mother in a car accident (and he was in the car with her). It really devastated me for a couple of days. In that entry, some know-it-all in child care was being less than respectful about the situation, and I wrote about how that bothered me. I did not remember that incident until rereading my diary.

Oh man. Fun and crazy? Going to New York to meet up with so many of you. One of the best experiences of my life. Thanks guys <3

Hehehe, Disneyland Grad Nite in 2008. It was held from dusk to dawn for only graduating high schoolers in Southern California, as they always do. The lines to the popular rides were not worth waiting for, but others were shorter, and there were several DJs and radio stations... the next afternoon we graduated. We were so exhausted. But man, I had a good time.

My LiveJournal ~ My artwork and photography

NARF since age 8, when I refused to read the Hobbit because the cover looked boring and icky.

glorinfidell
Bree

Apr 26 2011, 3:19pm

Post #18 of 38 (288 views)
Shortcut
Founder day! Wohoo! [In reply to] Can't Post

I joined really recently. I had been a lurker for a awhile, and I wanted to start posting!
I really don't remember.
Like I said, I'm pretty new, so not much.
I haven't been to very many party's.

Well, there you go. Not much! Happy Founders Day!

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Apr 26 2011, 3:21pm

Post #19 of 38 (294 views)
Shortcut
*attaches "Hello, my name is Arwen's daughter" nametag* [In reply to] Can't Post

March 2004. I'd been lurking the boards since a little before ROTK opened in theaters but it took me months to join the forums. I was procrastinating from studying for my midterms when I finally joined up.

I was still in high school and hadn't yet even heard of LOTR.

Hmmm... my sister and I took a roadtrip to Houston to see the traveling exhibit and another to Chicago for the LOTR symphony. The second included a TORn moot that was a blast.

Ooo, tough one. I'm a big fan of theme parties. My friends' "Come dressed as your favorite holiday" party was a blast!

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Apr 26 2011, 3:25pm

Post #20 of 38 (290 views)
Shortcut
Happy Founder's Day!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

1. I delurked in February 2003, after lurking for a year. I really hadn't paid much attention to the LotR movies until right before FotR came out, and a friend showed me some photos. Wow, I thought. Maybe these are going to be good after all!

I honestly don't know remember how I found TORn. It could have been the same friend who gave me the URL. I don't think she's ever been on the boards, though, and I lost track of her years ago.

2. April 26th, 1999? I have no idea. That wasn't anyone's birthday, and we weren't on a trip overseas, or.... Without a Wayback Machine, I can't answer that other than a general, "living in a suburb of Dallas".

3. The most fun/crazy thing I've done because of TORn is getting a tattoo of the White Tree of Gondor at Roger's Tattoo Arts in Wellington, while we were there on a Red Carpet Tour in March of 2008. I'm not sure any of the above would have happened with out TORn. And gramma egging me on Wink

4. I have to say, the most amazing party I've ever been to is my son's wedding in India. They do weddings up right there! Days on end of color and flowers and ceremonies and out-of-this-world food. And did I mention the clothes?!?! Wow.

Do we walk in legends or on the green earth in the daylight?

A man may do both. For not we but those who come after will make the legends of our time. The green earth, say you? That is a mighty matter of legend, though you tread it under the light of day!

Rachamatazz
The Shire

Apr 26 2011, 4:52pm

Post #21 of 38 (285 views)
Shortcut
Hello [In reply to] Can't Post

Uh yesterday Smile Why? Because it looked like fun, and I thought it would be nice to talk to other Tolkien obsessed people...

I was six so...not a lot probably.

Alas, nothing yet.

A few recent eighteenth's have been pretty fun but I haven't really been to many parties to be honest.

Not all those who wander are lost.

Rosie-with-the-ribbons
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 26 2011, 5:03pm

Post #22 of 38 (286 views)
Shortcut
Welcome!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Wow, did you pick a great date to join TORn. The day we totally geek out and go all the way in all the sillyness we know.
Just take a good look around and enjoy the party. And before you know it you will also be able to tell about crazy parties and strange things you did because of TORn.
Cool

RosieLass
Valinor

Apr 26 2011, 5:04pm

Post #23 of 38 (284 views)
Shortcut
Happy Founder's Day everybody! [In reply to] Can't Post

It was sometime in July of 1999, so I haven't been here since the founding of TORn, but close. I was at a really boring job and I was just goofing off on the Internet and stumbled across a discussion forum for some proposed LOTR movies. I enjoyed that website so much that I looked for other forums and found TORn, too.

I dunno. Probably moping around bored at work.

It was so much fun to watch the movies with other TORn folks at Red Rocks Amphitheater in Morrison, Colorado.

Not much of a party person, so it's hard to say.

It is always those with the fewest sensible things to say who make the loudest noise in saying them. --Precious Ramotswe (Alexander McCall Smith)

Rosie-with-the-ribbons
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 26 2011, 5:05pm

Post #24 of 38 (286 views)
Shortcut
Disneyland Grad Nite [In reply to] Can't Post

just the name sounds like a most amazing party. I wish we had something like that when I graduated. But we had to come up with some sort of play and even act it out ourselves.

Rachamatazz
The Shire

Apr 26 2011, 5:17pm

Post #25 of 38 (278 views)
Shortcut
Thankyou [In reply to] Can't Post

Seems like a good introduction to the world of TORn Smile thankyou, I shall look forward to those Laugh

Not all those who wander are lost.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.