Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
TIME - April 19

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 19 2011, 3:11pm

Post #1 of 20 (609 views)
Shortcut
TIME - April 19 Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth.

April 19, 3018 (S.R. 1418)
1. The Conspirators at work.
(determined from text)
...'Dear old Frodo!' said Pippin… ‘…You have obviously been planning to go and saying farewell to all your haunts all this year since April. We have constantly heard you muttering: "Shall I ever look down into that valley again, I wonder", and things like that… …And all those close talks with Gandalf….’
...’…We have been terrified that you might give us the slip, and go off suddenly, all on your own like he did. Ever since this spring we have kept our eyes open, and done a good deal of planning on our own account. You are not going to escape so easily!' [said Merry]… …I have known about the existence of the Ring for years—before Bilbo went away… …until we formed our own conspiracy…’

...’…Merry proceeded, 'I kept my knowledge to myself, till this Spring when things got serious. Then we formed our conspiracy; and as we were serious, too, and meant business, we have not been too scrupulous. You are not a very easy nut to crack, and Gandalf is worse. But if you want to be introduced to our chief investigator, I can produce him.'
... 'Where is he?' said Frodo, looking round, as if he expected a masked and sinister figure to come out of a cupboard.
... 'Step forward, Sam!' said Merry; and Sam stood up with a face scarlet up to the ears. 'Here's our collector of information! And he collected a lot, I can tell you, before he was finally caught. After which, I may say, he seemed to regard himself as on parole, and dried up.'
... ‘…We are your friends, Frodo. Anyway: there it is. We know most of what Gandalf has told you. We know a good deal about the Ring….'

sample sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

Ginger
Lorien

Apr 19 2011, 5:42pm

Post #2 of 20 (476 views)
Shortcut
"We are your friends, Frodo." [In reply to] Can't Post

To me, this sums up one of the themes of this story. You do what you need to and even what you think you can’t do for your friends. You stick with them, even if it’s not the easy path; you don’t be selfish and do just what you want to do.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 20 2011, 2:47am

Post #3 of 20 (478 views)
Shortcut
The true meaning of "Fellowship" [In reply to] Can't Post

It's like the "All for one, and one for all" motto of the Musketeers: whatever needs to be done, is what they will do.

Even if it means jumping down a dragon's throat!

I've come to believe that this point is the real beginning of the Fellowship of the Ring.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 20 2011, 11:35am

Post #4 of 20 (467 views)
Shortcut
It's time for some BS! [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's a Book Spoiler of our Fellowship gearing up for battle in Edoras... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

From The King of the Golden Hall: The Two Towers
“'…my eyes were almost blind,' said Théoden. 'Most of all I owe to you, my guest. Once again you have come in time. I would give you a gift ere we go, at your own choosing. You have only to name aught that is mine. I reserve now only my sword!'
'Whether I came in time or not is yet to be seen,' said Gandalf. 'But as for your gift, lord, I will chose one that will fit my need: swift and sure. Give me Shadowfax! He was only lent before… …I shall ride him into great hazard, setting silver against black: I would not risk anything that is not my own. And already there is a bond of love between us.'
'You choose well,' said Théoden; 'and I give him now gladly. Yet it is a great gift. There is none like to Shadowfax. In him one of the mighty steeds of old has returned… …And to you my other guests I will offer such things as may be found in my armoury. Swords you do not need, but there are helms and coats of mail of cunning work, gifts to my fathers out of Gondor… …and may they serve you well.'
Now men came bearing raiment of war from the king's hoard, and they arrayed Aragorn and Legolas in shining mail. Helms too they chose, and round shields: their bosses were overlaid with gold and set with gems, green and red and white. Gandalf took no armour; and Gimli needed no coat of rings, even if one had been found to match his stature, for there was no … …of better make than his short corslet forged beneath the Mountain in the North. But he chose a cap of iron and leather that fitted well upon his round head; and a small shield he also took. It bore the running horse, white upon green, that was the emblem of the house of Eorl.
'May it keep you well!' said Théoden. 'It was made for me in Thengel's day, while still I was a boy.'
Gimli bowed. 'I am proud, Lord of the Mark, to bear your device… …Indeed sooner would I bear a horse than be borne by one. I love my feet better…’”

sample sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

Unused Scenes

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 20 2011, 11:40am

Post #5 of 20 (454 views)
Shortcut
"The needs of the one [In reply to] Can't Post

outweigh the needs of the many." Mr Spock... a member of another Fellowship :)

sample sample

Unused Scenes

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 20 2011, 11:42am

Post #6 of 20 (447 views)
Shortcut
Well said! [In reply to] Can't Post

Whenever I've tried to describe to someone what The Lord of the Rings is about... that's one of the first things that comes to my mind. It's a story of great friendships that brings kindreds of all types together and form everlasting bonds.

sample sample

Unused Scenes

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 20 2011, 12:07pm

Post #7 of 20 (477 views)
Shortcut
Gimli has such a sense of humor... [In reply to] Can't Post

...very understated, and meaningful!

"...sooner would I bear a horse than be borne by one": we understand exactly how this Dwarf feels, and also realize that he's also showing his delight in being allowed to use Theoden's shield from his youth.

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 21 2011, 12:52pm

Post #8 of 20 (466 views)
Shortcut
TIME - April 21 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth.

April 21, 2841 (S.R. 1241)
1. Thráin leaves to reclaim the Lonely Mountain.
(determined from text)
[Gandalf explains to Thorin]""...Thráin your father went away on the twenty-first of April, a hundred years ago last Thursday, and has never been seen by you since--"

April 21, 2850 (S.R. 1250)
1. Gandalf returns to Dol Guldur and learns that the evil presence is Sauron. Gandalf finds Thráin in the dungeon and receives the map and key of the Lonely Mountain from him.
(determined from text)
...""I did not 'get hold of it, I was given it," said the wizard. "Your grandfather Thror was killed, you remember, in the mines of Moria by Azog the Goblin..."
..."...And Thráin your father went away… …a hundred years ago…”
..."…True, true," said Thorin.
..."…your father gave me this to give to you… …if I have chosen my own time and way of handing it over, you can hardly blame me, considering the trouble I had to find you. Your father could not remember his own name… …and he never told me yours; so on the whole I think I ought to be praised and thanked. Here it is," said he handing the map to Thorin.
..."I don't understand," said Thorin…
..."…Your grandfather," said the wizard slowly and grimly, "gave the map to his son for safety before he went to the mines of Moria. Your father went away to try his luck with the map after your grandfather was killed… …but he never got near the Mountain. How he got there I don't know, but I found him a prisoner in the dungeons of the Necromancer.""

April 21, 2942 (S.R. 1342)
1. Bilbo and Gandalf reach the old goblin stronghold that led Bilbo to the Ring.
(determined from text)
..."At last they came up the long road, and reached the very pass where the goblins had captured them before… …and looking backward they saw a white sun shining over the outstretched lands. There behind lay Mirkwood, blue in the distance, and darkly green at the nearer edge even in the spring. There… …was the Lonely Mountain on the edge of eyesight. On its highest peak snow yet unmelted was gleaming pale.
..."So comes snow after fire, and even dragons have their ending!" said Bilbo, and he turned his back on his adventure. The Tookish part was getting very tired, and the Baggins was daily getting stronger. "I wish now only to be in my own arm-chair!"”

April 21, 3018 (S.R. 1418)
1. Gandalf and Frodo enjoy the comforts of Bag End.
(not from the appendices-no text)
...Now that the decision had been made to take the Ring out of the Shire, Frodo felt strangely displaced as he considered all the changes in his life by leaving Hobbiton, Bag End, and his friends. His greatest comfort was knowing that Sam was in on the plan and would be his companion into exile.
...Gandalf watched his friend closely as Frodo busied himself with his daily routine. While the wizard always felt renewed from his visits, he knew it was about to come to an end. His awareness of the impact the Quest was already having on Frodo saddened him. Life for the Bagginses at Bag End would never be the same. Yet he held onto the hope that Rivendell could hold some new counsel that would spare Frodo. So these exceptional friends enjoyed each day and avoided the subject of the Ring for as long as they could.

sample sample

Unused Scenes

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 21 2011, 12:55pm

Post #9 of 20 (454 views)
Shortcut
I've often wondered [In reply to] Can't Post

if his ease and wit has become more pronounced or impacted by his friendships on this Quest, or if he'd always been this way with other dwarves? Maybe that's why Legolas and he remained such great friends for the rest of their lives together... the dwarf was contaminated by his associations and the other dwarves didn't "get" his humour ;)

sample sample

Unused Scenes

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 22 2011, 11:34am

Post #10 of 20 (472 views)
Shortcut
"A hundred years ago last Thursday" [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't know what it is, that is so compelling about the date Gandalf gives: maybe it's that one never expects the term "a hundred years ago" to be connected with both a date, and a day of the week! Laugh

Of course, the Hobbit calendar had the dates and their days of the week staying the same, year after year, so the 21st of April always occurred on a Thursday, regardless of how many years ago. But the casual reader would not know this.

But - shouldn't Gandalf be going by a Dwarf calendar for this? Or could it be that the Dwarves have their own calendar, which, like their language, they do not reveal to others, so they're also used to using the more "common" calendars, such as the Shire calendar; and hence, since a non-Dwarf (Bilbo) was present, Gandalf gave the "common" date.

aranelthehobbit22
Gondor

Apr 24 2011, 2:42am

Post #11 of 20 (451 views)
Shortcut
Is it too late to commentate? [In reply to] Can't Post

Ah I love this part so much. This is true friendship.
I remember reading this the first time and wondering why on earth it was left out of the movie. Instead of just sort of getting caught up in the mess, they are insisting upon going, and are fully dedicated. I can't put it into words how much I love this part. I do hope that if ever a time came I could be considered a friend as true as these.

"It all depends on what you want. You can trust us to stick to you through thick and thin---to the bitter end. And you can trust us to keep any secret of yours---closer than you keep it yourself. But you cannot trust us to let you go off without a word. We are your friends, Frodo. Anyway, there it is. We know most of what Gandalf has told you. We know a good deal about the Ring. We are horribly afraid---but we are coming with you; or following you like hounds."

Photobucket

'Help oft shall come from the hands of the weak when the Wise falter.'

Photobucket

"Yet in that hour was put to the proof that which Mithrandir had spoken, and help came from the hands of the weak when the Wise faltered."

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 24 2011, 12:22pm

Post #12 of 20 (461 views)
Shortcut
Why, a comment is never late... [In reply to] Can't Post

...it is posted precisely when it's meant to! Laugh

"We are horribly afraid -- but we are coming with you": yes, what truer form of friendship, could there ever be! Heart

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 25 2011, 8:49am

Post #13 of 20 (475 views)
Shortcut
TIME - April 25 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth.

April 25, 2941 (S.R. 1341)
1. Gandalf visits Bilbo at Bag End.
(from Karen Wynn Fonstad, The Atlas of Middle-earth)
..."All that the unsuspecting Bilbo saw that morning was an old man with a staff. He had a tall pointed blue hat, a long grey cloak, a silver scarf over which a white beard hung down below his waist, and immense black boots.
..."Good morning!' said Bilbo, and he meant it.... ...But Gandalf looked at him from under long bushy eyebrows that stuck out further than the brim of his shady hat.
..."What do you mean?" he said. "Do you wish me a good morning, or mean that it is a good morning whether I want it or not; or that you feel good this morning; or that it is a morning to be good on?"
..."All of them at once... ...And a very fine morning for a pipe of tobacco out of doors, into the bargain. If you have a pipe about you, sit down and have a fill of mine! There's no hurry, we have all the day before us!" Then Bilbo sat down on a seat... ...crossed his legs, and blew out a beautiful grey ring of smoke that sailed up into the air without breaking and floated away over The Hill.
..."Very pretty!" said Gandalf. "But I have no time to blow smoke-rings this morning. I am looking for someone to share in an adventure that I am arranging, and it's very difficult to find anyone."
..."I should think so... ...We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can't think what anybody sees in them,' said our Mr. Baggins... ...Then he took out his morning letters... ...pretending to take no more notice of the old man. He had decided that he was not quite his sort, and wanted him to go away. But the old man did not move. He stood leaning on his stick and gazing at the hobbit without saying anything, till Bilbo got quite uncomfortable and even a little cross.
..."Good morning... ...We don't want any adventures here, thank you! You might try over The Hill or across The Water." By this he meant that the conversation was at an end.
..."What a lot of things you do use Good morning for!" said Gandalf. "Now you mean that you want to get rid of me, and that it won't be good till I move off....""

... "...Gandalf... ...was still standing outside the door, and laughing long but quietly. After a while he stepped up, and with the spike of his staff scratched a queer sign on the hobbit's beautiful green front-door. Then he strode away, just about the time when Bilbo was finishing his second cake and beginning to think that he had escaped adventures very well."

(TIME entries in this calendar are maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and are in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. Copyrights and trademarks for the books from which dates and short quotes are taken are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law.)

sample sample

Unused Scenes

(This post was edited by dernwyn on Apr 25 2011, 10:43am)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 25 2011, 9:10am

Post #14 of 20 (410 views)
Shortcut
I remember being startled [In reply to] Can't Post

when I first read that! It was such a Gandalf thing to do!

What I also love is that I got to post it on a Thursday :D

Neat observation on the Dwavish Calendar! I'd never stopped to think about that!!

sample sample

Unused Scenes

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 25 2011, 9:14am

Post #15 of 20 (483 views)
Shortcut
*sigh* I agree with you :) [In reply to] Can't Post

It is hard to put into words how I feel when these perfect Tolkien moments come up in the story... and this is definitely one for me, too. And Frodo's reaction is so normal... he's so overwhelmed. Even he hadn't realized the depth of their friendship until this unknown danger and exile. It's so wonderful!

sample sample

Unused Scenes

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 25 2011, 4:32pm

Post #16 of 20 (414 views)
Shortcut
Good Morning! [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, we know that Gandalf in the movie does have his silver scarf and black boots; I do hope this entire dialogue is kept in, and kept intact!

And everyone is wondering what sort of "sign" Gandalf will scratch into that green door...

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 25 2011, 11:17pm

Post #17 of 20 (421 views)
Shortcut
Good Morning... it's a sign!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I know.... right? What WILL that sign be!?!? I wish I were a fly at Weta and hear the discussions on that one! :D

Oh geez... *twitch*... I want this all done NOW!!

sample sample

Unused Scenes

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 26 2011, 2:21am

Post #18 of 20 (1299 views)
Shortcut
TIME - April 26 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth.

April 26, 2941 (S.R. 1341)
1. Wednesday. The unexpected party.
(from Karen Wynn Fonstad, The Atlas of Middle-earth)
..."Bilbo rushed along the passage, very angry, and altogether bewildered and bewuthered—this was the most awkward Wednesday he ever remembered. He pulled open the door with a jerk, and they all fell in, one on top of the other. More dwarves, four more! And there was Gandalf behind, leaning on his staff and laughing. He had made quite a dent on the beautiful door... ...[and] knocked out the secret mark that he had put there the morning before.
..."Carefully! Carefully!" he said. "It is not like you, Bilbo, to keep friends waiting on the mat, and then open the door like a pop-gun! Let me introduce Bifur, Bofur, Bombur, and especially Thorin!'
...'At your service!" said Bifur, Bofur, and Bombur standing in a row. Then they hung up two yellow hoods and a pale green one; and also a sky-blue one with a long silver tassel. This last belonged to Thorin, an enormously important dwarf, in fact no other than the great Thorin Oakenshield himself, who was not at all pleased at falling flat on Bilbo's mat with Bifur, Bofur, and Bombur on top of him....

...'...Now we are all here!" said Gandalf, looking at the row of thirteen hoods—the best detachable party hoods—and his own hat hanging on the pegs. "Quite a merry gathering! I hope there is something left for the late-goers to eat and drink! What's that? Tea! No thank you! A little red wine, I think, for me...."
......Mr. Baggins... ...was feeling positively flummoxed, and was beginning to wonder whether a most wretched adventure had not come right into his house. By the time he had got all the bottles and dishes and knives and forks and glasses and plates and spoons and things piled up on big trays, he was getting very hot, and red in the face, and annoyed...."

..."...Poor Bilbo couldn't bear it any longer. At may never return he began to feel a shriek coming up inside, and very soon it burst out like the whistle of an engine coming out of a tunnel. All the dwarves sprang up knocking over the table... ...the poor little hobbit could be seen kneeling on the hearth-rug, shaking like a jelly that was melting. Then he fell flat on the floor, and kept on calling out "struck by lightning, struck by lightning...!"

..."...Excitable little fellow," said Gandalf, as they sat down again. "Gets funny queer fits, but he is one of the best, one of the best—as fierce as a dragon in a pinch."
...If you have ever seen a dragon in a pinch, you will realize that this was only poetical exaggeration applied to any hobbit... ...however, Bullroar's gentler descendant was reviving in the drawing-room. After a while and a drink he crept nervously to the door of the parlour...."

... "...Pardon me," he said, 'if I have overheard words that you were saying. I don't pretend to understand what you are talking about, or your reference to burglars, but I think I am right in believing... ...that you think I am no good. I will show you. I have no signs on my door..."

..."...said Gloin. "...I assure you there is a mark on this door—the usual one in the trade, or used to be. Burglar wants a good job, plenty of Excitement and reasonable Reward, that's how it is usually read. You can say Expert Treasure-hunter instead of Burglar if you like.... ...Gandalf told us that there was a man of the sort in these parts looking for a Job at once...."
..."...Of course there is a mark," said Gandalf. "I put it there myself. For very good reasons. You asked me to find the fourteenth man for your expedition, and I chose Mr. Baggins. Just let any one say I chose the wrong man or the wrong house, and you can stop at thirteen and have all the bad luck you like, or go back to digging coal.""

April 26, 1999
1. TheOneRing.net officially draws its first breath.
...On this day, TORn is officially registered and begins exclusive reporting on Peter Jackson's films and related topics. It also spawns multiple Discussion Boards where all things Tolkien and Jackson are discussed.

2. A J.R.R. Tolkien adaptation in the works.
...TORn and its community anticipates and speculates on the progress being made on the adaptation and casting of The Lord of the Rings; The Fellowship of the Ring, The Two Towers, and The Return of the King being filmed simultaneously.

April 26, 2009
1. TheOneRing.net celebrates its 10-year Anniversary.
...On this auspicious Anniversary, TORn Discussion Board Members begin an annual Founders Day celebration honouring its Founders, Admins, and fellow-posters.
TORn 10th Anniversary Bash! by Altaira

April 26, 2010
1. TheOneRing.net members unveil the Mathom-house.
...After TORn's 10th Anniversary celebration, one of the Discussion Board Members had an idea to record the history of the website and share it through the TORn Mathom-house. Now in its infancy, it is a work in progress. With the collaboration and contributions of the TORn Discussion Board Members, this work is expected to expand and show the incredible journey of this premier fan site.

2. A J.R.R. Tolkien adaptation in the works.
...TORn and its community anticipates and speculates on the progress being made on the adaptation and casting of The Hobbit parts 1 and 2.

[TIME entries in this calendar are maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and are in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. Copyrights and trademarks for the books from which dates and short quotes are taken are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law.

sample sample

Unused Scenes

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Apr 26 2011, 2:24am)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 26 2011, 10:13am

Post #19 of 20 (404 views)
Shortcut
There's an Unexpected Party at Bilbo's... [In reply to] Can't Post

...and an Expected Party right here, with plenty of Excitement and reasonable Rewards! Laugh

I can hardly wait to see poor Bilbo running around, trying to attend to the needs of thirteen scheming Dwarves - and a Wizard leading them all! Laugh

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 30 2011, 12:18pm

Post #20 of 20 (442 views)
Shortcut
*twitch* ME TOO!! :D // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample sample

Unused Scenes

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.