Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Zen & LOTR's...

concerning Hobbits
The Shire

Apr 25 2011, 12:36am

Post #1 of 9 (323 views)
Shortcut
Zen & LOTR's... Can't Post

I am beginning a new journey in the form of mediation. I am setting out to learn the art of zen meditation, and the eastern thoughts that go with it. I am going to use LOTR soundtrack to help me meditate...and hopefully clear my 2.7 billion thoughts...

Has anybody incorporated Zen and LOTR's? I'm all ears for some advice/feedback!

Cheers!

StarElf
Rohan

Apr 25 2011, 3:10am

Post #2 of 9 (80 views)
Shortcut
One thing I would recommend.... [In reply to] Can't Post

is only using certain tracks, ones which do not get your heart pounding(for example, The Ride of the Rohirrim and The Bridge of Khazad-Dum would probably not be very conducive to meditation).

Honestly, I don't think I would use LotR tracks to meditate at all, because I would just feel the strong emotions and see the scenes from the movie. If it's the clearing of your mind which is more important to you,then I would use some of the gentler tracks like the Evenstar theme to help with relaxation.

Good luck with your meditating! Remember that the key thing is to get yourself relaxed, so adjust your environment accordingly. You might want to make your self a custom-mix with songs or instrumentals which are most relaxing to you----I made one for myself to help me unwind at the end of the day. It has some LotR stuff on it; but it also has some random stuff like Jewel, Tchaikovsky, and even some of the gentler tracks from Xenogears and the Final Fantasy series. Also, don't be afraid to experiment with silence or white noise. Sometimes the sound of the rain is a great way to Zen.

Namaste!

Was the world being born what called me...?
At the bottom of the deep sea, I could hear a voice.

(This post was edited by StarElf on Apr 25 2011, 3:20am)

taekotemple
Grey Havens

Apr 25 2011, 3:12am

Post #3 of 9 (79 views)
Shortcut
I'm a buddhist, not a Zen buddhist, but I do find some imagery in LOTR... [In reply to] Can't Post

... can seem symbolic and fit some eastern religions/mysticism. For example, the elves can be seen as spiritually enlightened beings, removed in some ways because people have to attain their own enlightenment, but serve as bodhisatvas in a sense, as guides to enlightenment. Those that choose to go to the grey havens may be moving on to total enlightenment, or nirvana, while Arwen and any others who stay behind continue as bodhisatvas.

I don't know if that helps. I've never really spent a lot of time analyzing LotR that way, because I know of Tolkien's faith. But I think often, when you really get down to the core of most faiths, there are a lot of similarities.

I'd suggest going through the music carefully and deciding what pieces of music to use in the soundtrack, as some of it is quite dark, and could be... disruptive in meditation.

concerning Hobbits
The Shire

Apr 25 2011, 3:37am

Post #4 of 9 (64 views)
Shortcut
thx [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
... can seem symbolic and fit some eastern religions/mysticism. For example, the elves can be seen as spiritually enlightened beings, removed in some ways because people have to attain their own enlightenment, but serve as bodhisatvas in a sense, as guides to enlightenment. Those that choose to go to the grey havens may be moving on to total enlightenment, or nirvana, while Arwen and any others who stay behind continue as bodhisatvas.

I don't know if that helps. I've never really spent a lot of time analyzing LotR that way, because I know of Tolkien's faith. But I think often, when you really get down to the core of most faiths, there are a lot of similarities.

I'd suggest going through the music carefully and deciding what pieces of music to use in the soundtrack, as some of it is quite dark, and could be... disruptive in meditation.

Very interesting! I see faiths as this: One tree with a bunch of people around it looking at the same thing but from different angles.

Gonna make more connections with each character!

Magpie
Immortal

Apr 25 2011, 3:40am

Post #5 of 9 (71 views)
Shortcut
thoughts on music [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't offer advice on Zen Buddhism or meditation.

But pertaining to the comments about much of LOTR being very compelling, etc. I thought having you consider a few other Shore scores might be useful.

The first offering is going to sound negative in my assessment. It's Twilight Eclipse. I've never read the books or seen the movies but Shore did this score so I picked it up. When I listen to it, I get a strong LOTR vibe. To my mind, it's like listening to 'more' LOTR music. I know that isn't a good comment to make about a composer's score but there it is.

Also, I find Shore's score to The Betrayal (Nerakhoon) to be quite beautiful. Not like a lot of the other stuff he's done. You can listen to samples here:
http://www.howerecords.com/albums/betrayal.php

I talked about my favorite grouping of music in another thread recently. I think these songs have great potential.
http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=344090#344090 (first bunch... although all of them are great)

LOTR soundtrack website
magpie avatar gallery ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

GAndyalf
Valinor

Apr 25 2011, 5:11am

Post #6 of 9 (63 views)
Shortcut
Jean-Michele Jarre's Oxygene... [In reply to] Can't Post

And Brian Eno's "Music for Airports" are great meditation pieces.

"Be good, be careful, have fun, don't get arrested!"
---Marcia Michelle Alexander Hamilton, 7 Nov 1955 - 19 Nov 2009

sample

concerning Hobbits
The Shire

Apr 25 2011, 5:22am

Post #7 of 9 (84 views)
Shortcut
beautiful [In reply to] Can't Post

The Betrayal is beautiful! Gonna pick this up!

Gwytha
Rohan

Apr 25 2011, 2:19pm

Post #8 of 9 (48 views)
Shortcut
Mindfulness to LOTR [In reply to] Can't Post

If your objective is to cultivate your awareness in the present moment, you can practice mindfulness to pretty much anything. And I would encourage you to listen to some basic cd's on mindfulness meditation such as Jon Kabat-Zinn's "Mindfulness for Beginners," and listen to at least the introductory sections before practicing with LOTR music.

When you listen to LOTR (or any music) for the purposes of meditation, stay with what you are experiencing in the present moment, i.e. the music itself, particularly your sensory experience of the actual sounds. Don't get lost in the music or carried away by the images it evokes--that could be pretty hard not to do! When you notice your mind being drawn into images, thoughts, emotions or urges (as it almost certainly will do over and over again), just notice that and bring yourself back to the experience of sound. Don't judge yourself or think you're not doing it right if you get distracted, distraction is a normal experience with meditation. Just notice where your mind goes and then gently bring it back.

As I'm writing this it's starting to sound more and more difficult to me. I would say that if the idea of mediatating to LOTR music is what motivates you to learn meditation at all, give it a try; if it's too difficult, though, don't give up, just start again with some basic instructional cd's like those I mentioned above. You can go back to the LOTR music when you have a little experience with the basics.

You might want to use LOTR music for visualization practice rather than meditation per se. In any case, let us know how it works out. I'm glad you posted this, I never thought of meditating to LOTR, I think I'll give it a try too.

We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner!

taekotemple
Grey Havens

Apr 26 2011, 2:31am

Post #9 of 9 (78 views)
Shortcut
Good point! [In reply to] Can't Post

Don't get lost in the music or carried away by the images it evokes--that could be pretty hard not to do!

Very good point. I wouldn't be able to meditate to the soundtrack of LotR. I'd just start replaying images from the movies in my brain, and that would be completely counter-productive.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.