The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Gaming and Collecting:
what games have you been playing?

acheron
Gondor

Apr 23 2011, 7:01pm

Post #1 of 20 (4617 views)
Shortcut
what games have you been playing? Can't Post

In addition to more LOTRO, I bought and played Portal 2 this week. One word: fantastic. I beat the single-player mode yesterday. Haven't gotten to try out co-op two player mode yet.

Not going to say anything else about it so I don't spoil anything, but.. yeah, I loved it. If you played the first one, then you must play this one as well.

For instance, on the planet Earth, man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much -- the wheel, New York, wars, and so on -- while all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man, for precisely the same reasons. -- Douglas Adams

13thHour
Rivendell

Apr 24 2011, 12:05pm

Post #2 of 20 (3923 views)
Shortcut
Besides LOTRO... [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been playing Civilization 4 on the recommendation of a good friend of mine who loves the Civ games. I like it good enough, but I'm a bit spoiled by RTS games like Starcraft 2 that are just as rewarding and aren't as much of a time-sink.

I'm trying to get back into the Dragon Age expansion, "Awakenings". I truly loved the first Dragon Age and I'm curious about the new one (even though I hear that it is terrible), but I want to finish this expansion before I start on the second one.

But really, to be honest, I've just been playing my new hobbit on LOTRO (and doing worthless crap like fishing and cooking with him, in particular).

I would be interested in trying out the new Sims Medieval game and, of course, I'm looking forward to the next expansion of Starcraft 2.

The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was is lost, for none now live who remember it.

(This post was edited by 13thHour on Apr 24 2011, 12:05pm)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Apr 24 2011, 7:44pm

Post #3 of 20 (4005 views)
Shortcut
None on-line... [In reply to] Can't Post

Mostly, AD&D, 2E (using "Skills and Powers" options). And, LotR: Aragorn's Quest for PS2.

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Apr 24 2011, 7:45pm)

RosieLass
Valinor

Apr 25 2011, 3:20pm

Post #4 of 20 (3830 views)
Shortcut
I got Aragorn's Quest for the Wii. [In reply to] Can't Post

But I haven't actually played it yet, so I don't know if it's any good or not.

And I leveled my guardian in LOTRO up to 48 yesterday. I love Forochel!

It is always those with the fewest sensible things to say who make the loudest noise in saying them. --Precious Ramotswe (Alexander McCall Smith)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Apr 25 2011, 5:55pm

Post #5 of 20 (4144 views)
Shortcut
I've been too busy... [In reply to] Can't Post

...to devote much time to Aragorn's Quest and I haven't gotten very far in it. I can't really give it a fair assessment at this time.

MrCere
Sr. Staff

Apr 30 2011, 4:21am

Post #6 of 20 (3976 views)
Shortcut
Portal 2 [In reply to] Can't Post

I love the game with all my heart.

I have no choice but to believe in free will.

The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie

My blog

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Apr 30 2011, 7:24pm

Post #7 of 20 (3888 views)
Shortcut
Still completely addicted to LOTRO :D [In reply to] Can't Post

I convinced a friend of mine to start playing last November... we've been leveling characters together.

My brother and his girlfriend also started playing, and I convinced my brother to make a character on the same server as me. So I'm happy.

My LiveJournal ~ My artwork and photography

NARF since age 8, when I refused to read the Hobbit because the cover looked boring and icky.

SirDennisC
Half-elven

May 1 2011, 5:45am

Post #8 of 20 (4022 views)
Shortcut
Not too much [In reply to] Can't Post

since finishing Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood I've been kind of shiftless on the gaming front... I really want to try LOTRO and Shogun 2: Total War but I need a gaming rig first. It's on the list once the pay cheques start rolling in again. (Won't be long now!)

Patty
Immortal

May 3 2011, 4:12am

Post #9 of 20 (4082 views)
Shortcut
Urp. I'm still playing... [In reply to] Can't Post

Seven Wonders of the Ancient World. Not a role-playing game. It's a mindless pick-three. But I am addicted, big time.

Permanent address: Into the West

Must. Have. The Precious! Give us the LotR EE Blu-ray Ultimate Box Set!

WrightWords
The Shire

May 6 2011, 1:15am

Post #10 of 20 (3905 views)
Shortcut
Sims Medieval is okay... [In reply to] Can't Post

I am not a Sims fan - raising babies and cooking is too much like Real Life! But I got a freebie Sims Medieval at Medieval Times in Orlando on launch day and don't hate it ... not much of an endorsement but ... the quests are good, the character creation kinda fun.

Anyone here play City of Heroes?

Cheers!

WW

tolkiennerd
Lorien

May 6 2011, 8:38pm

Post #11 of 20 (3777 views)
Shortcut
all the games I've played this week. [In reply to] Can't Post

Oblivion ; the elder scrolls IV, Medieval Total war, Aragorns Quest, 300 march to glory.

Donry
Tol Eressea

May 7 2011, 3:42am

Post #12 of 20 (3739 views)
Shortcut
Are you excited at all [In reply to] Can't Post

for Elder Scrolls VI: Skyrim? The game looks fantastic....I can't wait until it launches on 11-11-11. I loved playing Oblivion so hopefully this game stands up!

What's the matter, James? No glib remark? No pithy comeback?"

reags
Rivendell

May 7 2011, 2:31pm

Post #13 of 20 (3874 views)
Shortcut
games [In reply to] Can't Post

Finished Dragon Age II a fortnight ago - pretty fun and decent storyline. Looking forward to relive my childhood days with Duke Forever (finally!). Will probably also give LA Noir a go and hold out 'til 4th quarter for Battlefield 3 & Oblivion 4.

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson."

tolkiennerd
Lorien

May 8 2011, 3:27pm

Post #14 of 20 (3726 views)
Shortcut
I'm going on the first day to buy it. it looks great. [In reply to] Can't Post

13thHour
Rivendell

May 8 2011, 5:29pm

Post #15 of 20 (3780 views)
Shortcut
Oblivion. [In reply to] Can't Post

I just can't get down with first-person fantasy games. With a shooter, all you hafta do is point the gun in the general direction and fire, but with a sword, I find that the distance can sometimes be hard to judge; and I don't like it when someone comes up behind me and starts whacking me with a stick or sword, because it's sometimes hard to find them. Also, I think it's funny that you have a million different ways to customize the look of your character, but sine it's first-person, you can't ever see him! (I realize that there is a way to change to 3rd-person, but it didn't feel right either)

I don't mean any disrespect to Oblivion, or any first-person fantasy game, but it's just not for me. I guess I just like my fantasy games to be in third person.

Someone mentioned Assassin's Creed. I've been playing the first one a lot this week, since a friend of mine brought over the 2nd one for me to check out. I never finished the first one for various reasons, so it was fun to pull it off the shelf and dust it off and start again.

I also want to get Batman: Arkham Asylum. I've put off getting it for a long time, but I think that now I'm finally convinced to try a new Batman game. I also purchased the new Mortal Kombat game (sometimes referred to as Mortal Kombat 9), but it's not here yet. I'm excited to play it because, supposedly, it's a "return to form" for the developers; meaning it's more like an updated version of the first 3 MK games.

Portal 2 will have to wait, but I will get to it eventually. Love the first one.

Also picked up the Kinect for xbox, with a few games. This was basically an attempt to trick myself into exercising more. It's pretty fun so far, and good at reminding me how out of shape I am Tongue.

The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was is lost, for none now live who remember it.

Donry
Tol Eressea

May 9 2011, 1:35am

Post #16 of 20 (3688 views)
Shortcut
Arkum.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Loved that game.....just fantastic. I can't wait for the fall when Arkum City launches.....

Donry
Tol Eressea

May 9 2011, 1:36am

Post #17 of 20 (3747 views)
Shortcut
It does indeed..... [In reply to] Can't Post

I am not sure I'll be there the first day....but I will be there very early on!

SirDennisC
Half-elven

May 9 2011, 3:33am

Post #18 of 20 (3810 views)
Shortcut
Medieval Total War [In reply to] Can't Post

the first one or number 2? I love both. The expansion for 2 (Kingdoms) is in my top 5 all time favourites. I really want to play Shogun 2 TW but as I said above I'll have to wait...

acheron
Gondor

May 9 2011, 1:14pm

Post #19 of 20 (3805 views)
Shortcut
I played Rome and Empire:TW [In reply to] Can't Post

Loved both of those. Empire did start out awfully buggy, but was great once they patched it up.

Might pick up Shogun 2 later this year when I have some time.

For instance, on the planet Earth, man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much -- the wheel, New York, wars, and so on -- while all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man, for precisely the same reasons. -- Douglas Adams

reags
Rivendell

May 10 2011, 5:01am

Post #20 of 20 (4146 views)
Shortcut
Assassin's Creed [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Someone mentioned Assassin's Creed. I've been playing the first one a lot this week, since a friend of mine brought over the 2nd one for me to check out. I never finished the first one for various reasons, so it was fun to pull it off the shelf and dust it off and start again.

First one was a little repetitive, but they addressed that in no. 2 and Brotherhood. If you can sit through all 3, the storyline is one of the best I've come across in a video game thus far alongside Metal Gear Solid 4

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson."

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.