Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Tibboh eht: Noissucsid Eivom:
Behind the scenes video is up!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next page Last page  View All

Magpie
Latrommi

Apr 15 2011, 4:09pm

Post #201 of 238 (1037 views)
Shortcut
"cranky looking old fella" [In reply to] Can't Post

I remember the cranky looking old fella in the movie was in that scene where Gandalf lets off some fireworks for the kids ... in PJ's recent video release, that same actor is standing right beside PJ, so I am guessing that music will be there while he is on screen...

Are you talking about this character?

That character in LOTR was
Everard Proudfoot and the actor was Noel Appleby and Noel is now dead.

If that's not the character, a time stamp for what you're seeing in the Facebook video may help me understand who you're referring to.

LOTR soundtrack website
magpie avatar gallery ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

sphdle1
Rodnog

Apr 15 2011, 4:12pm

Post #202 of 238 (1002 views)
Shortcut
Maybe, but they didn't show much, and the full scene may show much more perspective [In reply to] Can't Post

from different angles/framing..

Some of us can only hope. I respect you would prefer it to not be changed in the EE blu-ray, but I would like it if they gave us the option to choose...leave it the old way or show it with Freeman instead. That way everyone is happy and gets their preference.

sphdle1

"You shall not pass!"

Flagg
Aessere Lot

Apr 15 2011, 4:22pm

Post #203 of 238 (984 views)
Shortcut
It's not quite that simple [In reply to] Can't Post

How would such a system be implemented? Would you be asked to choose between the Holm version and the Freeman version every time you watched the film? I imagine that would become bothersome after multiple viewings. Perhaps one version of the film would be played as default, and the other would be a (possibly hidden) extra? Giving the viewer options sounds like the ideal solution on paper, but it might not be so easy to make it work in practice.

I personally think the scene should be replaced. I want these five films to feel cohesive; that's why I'm in favour of Freeman's Bilbo making a brief appearance in The Lord of the Rings while Holm's Bilbo makes an appearance in the bookend scenes of The Hobbit.

sonnedre
Resu Deretsiger

Apr 15 2011, 4:26pm

Post #204 of 238 (954 views)
Shortcut
Awesome [In reply to] Can't Post

Awesome. Like returning to home after long-long absence.

Can someone do subtitles to this video? Just write them here.

Aragorn the Elfstone
Aessere Lot

Apr 15 2011, 4:31pm

Post #205 of 238 (993 views)
Shortcut
There's still the matter... [In reply to] Can't Post

...of inserting a few seconds of digital footage shot on Red Epic cameras into a film completely shot in 35 mm film - which, as a lover of film art, I cannot abide. Unimpressed

Also, I personally see films as a window into the time they were made. The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit will forever be 2 completely different experiences for me. Seeing Freeman as Bilbo in FotR would simply pull me out of the film ever single time.

"All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds awake to find that it was vanity; But the dreamers of day are dangerous men. That they may act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible."
- T.E. Lawrence

Patty
Latrommi

Apr 15 2011, 4:32pm

Post #206 of 238 (982 views)
Shortcut
It's unbelievable to me that Mrs. Proudfoot... [In reply to] Can't Post

looks that great in real life! She must be a terrific actress to accomplish such a "face that would curdle new milk" with just a hair change and an expression change. Thanks for this photo of her real life persona, Magpie. Sad to know Mr. Proudfoot has passed away. It would have been good to see him in the background at Hobbiton again.

Permanent address: Into the West

Must. Have. The Precious! Give us the LotR EE Blu-ray Ultimate Box Set!

Luthien Tinuvel
Resu Deretsiger

Apr 15 2011, 4:58pm

Post #207 of 238 (941 views)
Shortcut
Great! [In reply to] Can't Post

This video was great! It takes me back 10 years and gives me the same feeling. Can`t wait for this movie! Wish I could work on the set.

Mooseboy018
SnevaH Yerg

Apr 15 2011, 6:35pm

Post #208 of 238 (915 views)
Shortcut
Are you just speculating? [In reply to] Can't Post

Or is there something I missed that makes it more obvious that PJ is talking about Sauron in that scene?

*goes back to watch again*

Flagg
Aessere Lot

Apr 15 2011, 6:45pm

Post #209 of 238 (915 views)
Shortcut
Look closely at the artwork [In reply to] Can't Post

There are lots of spikes and not much else. PJ mentions a fight scene there involving a male character who impales people and runs around with 'remnants' on him. At first I thought it might be Beorn at the Bo5A, but the spikiness suggests otherwise. It doesn't look like any location described in the book (as far as I can recall). Dol Guldur seems like a solid-enough guess.

Slayer_Of_Orcs
Erihs Eht

Apr 15 2011, 7:13pm

Post #210 of 238 (895 views)
Shortcut
LOL, I don't even need ... [In reply to] Can't Post

... to watch the video to get excited. I only need to read your posts gramma.

Smile

That being said, I'll have to see it later when I get home.

We are waiting ...

AinurOlorin
Nevle-flah

Apr 15 2011, 8:27pm

Post #211 of 238 (850 views)
Shortcut
Oh I hope not [In reply to] Can't Post

In terms of Radagast anyway. Haldir was one false death too many, as far as I am concerned. Generic Lorien Elves are fine, but I hope he doesn't go into martyring any other cannonical characters.

In Reply To
Speaking of Dol Guldur, apparently Sauron's going to disintegrate again, (perhaps unable to take physical shape after his confrontation with the White Council)...and PJ muses he could go down fighting and "impaling people". What people? Lorien Elves? Radagast, explaining why he's not in LotR?

Anyhoo, off to watch the video yet again! Tongue

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Snaga
Neirol

Apr 15 2011, 8:29pm

Post #212 of 238 (867 views)
Shortcut
Cool beyond words [In reply to] Can't Post

The best part is that you can tell PJ is once again committed to good behind-the-scenes content, which for me was a huge part of the experience the first time around. Can't wait.

titanium_hobbit
NahoR

Apr 15 2011, 10:00pm

Post #213 of 238 (869 views)
Shortcut
didn't recognise Richard either [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it's because of the lack of beard- he had a beard in the "meet the cast" roll call.

Hobbit firster, Book firster.

Radagast_the_Brown
Llednevir

Apr 16 2011, 12:58am

Post #214 of 238 (790 views)
Shortcut
Squeeeeeeeeeee! [In reply to] Can't Post

My geek-meter just exploded!

All you have to decide, is what to do with the time that is given to you...

hutch
NahoR

Apr 16 2011, 1:07am

Post #215 of 238 (785 views)
Shortcut
pretty much [In reply to] Can't Post

they have a similar system in the Beastie Boy's Criteria Collection dvds. there's a default setting or you can choose the version (audio and video) you want. you can mix different sound version with different visuals up to 7 or 8 different ways for some songs. it's no hassle: you just choose at the outset and kick back and watch.

Ermanatar
Erihs Eht

Apr 16 2011, 3:33am

Post #216 of 238 (824 views)
Shortcut
Forgive my ignorance, but.... [In reply to] Can't Post

does this mean that when this movie is available to buy, I'll have to go out and buy a new HDTV capable of viewing this at 48fps? Are HDTV's able to handle this now? I'm not saying I wouldn't do it, just don't know that much about frame per second compatability. I want to be able to watch this as PJ intended!

Play Lord of the Rings Online!!! Find me, Ithronatar, on the Silverlode server!!!

SirDennisC
Nevle-flah

Apr 16 2011, 3:37am

Post #217 of 238 (788 views)
Shortcut
A few others will likely chime in [In reply to] Can't Post

in the meantime someone (Flagg?) pointed out that TH will likely be distributed at 24fps, depending on the state of theatres at its release. As for home, I'm not sure a DVD could handle a freature at 48fps but HDTVs and BDs should be up to the task. At least I hope.Smile

SF
Erihs Eht

Apr 16 2011, 5:53am

Post #218 of 238 (717 views)
Shortcut
Not DVD [In reply to] Can't Post

DVD definitely wouldn't be able to handle 48. They can do 23.98 and 29.97 for NTSC and 25 for PAL.

Ainu Laire
Aessere Lot

Apr 16 2011, 7:35am

Post #219 of 238 (727 views)
Shortcut
Well, it'll be mid 2013 by the time the first part of the Hobbit comes out to buy [In reply to] Can't Post

By then, Blu-rays should be a good load cheaper than they are now. DVDs will likely be phasing out by the middle of this decade.

My LiveJournal ~ My artwork and photography

NARF since age 8, when I refused to read the Hobbit because the cover looked boring and icky.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 16 2011, 12:01pm

Post #220 of 238 (682 views)
Shortcut
Thank you, Peter & company. [In reply to] Can't Post

"Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go."

*wipes tears from eyes, even after third viewing* Thank you for sharing your "fun" with all of us! Cool

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

Magpie
Latrommi

Apr 16 2011, 12:32pm

Post #221 of 238 (680 views)
Shortcut
Elizabeth Moody who played Lobelia Sackville-Baggins is dead now, as well // [In reply to] Can't Post

LOTR soundtrack website
magpie avatar gallery ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

loubylou
Erihs Eht

Apr 16 2011, 1:05pm

Post #222 of 238 (672 views)
Shortcut
PJ's Video [In reply to] Can't Post

Don't they all look happy to be there- great to see Bag End again and I'm so looking forward to the films. Is the first one still due out at the end of 2012?

loubylou
Erihs Eht

Apr 16 2011, 1:10pm

Post #223 of 238 (632 views)
Shortcut
Welcome! [In reply to] Can't Post

Welcome to the discussion. Hope you find it as informative and fun as I have.

elentari3018
NahoR

Apr 16 2011, 2:26pm

Post #224 of 238 (658 views)
Shortcut
AWESOME!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

This video was so amazing-- so glad PJ is sharing with us about the process and to see familiar faces like Ian McKellan and Andy Serkis being there tooo. To see Rivendell and Bag End was such a treat and gives such a sense of nostalgia. omg this is going to be a great great= movie!!!!!

"By Elbereth and Luthien the fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me!" ~Frodo

"And then Gandalf arose and bid all men rise, and they rose, and he said: 'Here is a last hail ere the feast endeth. Last but not least. For I name now those who shall not be forgotten and without whose valour nought else that was done would have availed; and I name before you all Frodo of the Shire and Samwise his servant. And the bards and the minstrels should give them new names: Bronwe athan Harthad and Harthad Uluithiad , Endurance beyond Hope and Hope Unquenchable.." ~Gandalf, The End of the Third Age , from The History of Middle Earth series

silneldor
Nevle-flah

Apr 16 2011, 2:49pm

Post #225 of 238 (664 views)
Shortcut
Being so very buZy i FINALLY was able to sit down and see this!. [In reply to] Can't Post

I cannot describe my sense of well-being and elation from sitting here watching this (seemingly 2min) 10 minute video. I will have to watch this 5x more:). I found i was ravenous for every tidbit thrown before me.

Hearing bits and pieces of the music sent chills all though my body that ended up with a big lump in my throat with things getting misty. I was chivering with emotion.

I laughed many times with such joyous abandon too. What strikes me so poignantly is, this IS the happening of our time. This marks the age of our lives:).

''Sam put his ragged orc-cloak under his master's head, and covered them both with the grey robe of Lorien; and as he did so his thoughts went out to that fair land, and to the Elves, and he hoped that the cloth woven by their hands might have some virtue to keep them hidden beyond all hope in this wilderness of fear...But their luck held, and for the rest of that day they met no living or moving thing; and when night fell they vanished into the darkess of Mordor.'' - - -rotk, chapter III

May the grace of ManwŰ let us soar with eagle's wings!

In the air, among the clouds in the sky
Here is where the birds of Manwe fly
Looking at the land, and the water that flows
The true beauty of earth shows
With the stars of Varda lighting my way
In all the realms this is where I stay
In the realm of ManwŰ S˙limo

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.