Behind the scenes video is up!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next page Last page  View All

R11
Lorien

Apr 16 2011, 6:48pm

Post #226 of 238 (1157 views)
Shortcut
48 fps is not supported in the Blu-ray spec either [In reply to] Can't Post

So as it sits now, Blu-ray viewers will also be watching at 24 fps just as they have been.

ron

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Apr 16 2011, 7:33pm

Post #227 of 238 (1127 views)
Shortcut
Ah... so maybe RedRay is on the horizon afterall. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Flagg
Tol Eressea

Apr 16 2011, 8:06pm

Post #228 of 238 (1177 views)
Shortcut
More like X-ray or Gamma-ray [In reply to] Can't Post

The actual blue ray in the Blu-ray drive can transmit information faster because its wavelength is shorter; therefore you can fit more information in a ray of blue light than you can in a ray of white light (or whatever type of light DVD drives use). I think the next generation of home video (whenever it comes) will use light of an even shorter wavelength: ultraviolet at least. Red-ray would be a step in the opposite direction.

sphdle1
Gondor

Apr 16 2011, 8:48pm

Post #229 of 238 (1121 views)
Shortcut
proudfeet1 [In reply to] Can't Post

yeah that was the guy ... the guy standing near pj in the video looks just like him. didn't know he passed, too bad.

sphdle1

"You shall not pass!"

lyndomiel
Rivendell

Apr 16 2011, 9:39pm

Post #230 of 238 (1109 views)
Shortcut
Bliss indeed. [In reply to] Can't Post

and thank goodness that PJ is at the helm. All this delay has been worthwhile just to see the old gang back again. Thank you PJ for this most delectable tidbit.

R11
Lorien

Apr 16 2011, 10:18pm

Post #231 of 238 (1068 views)
Shortcut
You know... [In reply to] Can't Post

I may be wrong but off the top of my head I really don't think it's any limitation of the BR technology. I just think it wasn't included in the spec because nobody thought it was needed since it wasn't something that anybody used. That may be changing now and I think they could go back and revise the specs to add it. I'm not sure but it may be possible that existing players could be upgraded with a simple firmware upgrade even. But then you have the issue of compatibility with TV's which opens up a whole other can of worms...

ron

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Apr 16 2011, 10:43pm

Post #232 of 238 (1117 views)
Shortcut
Jackson mentioned in this article on Red Ray [In reply to] Can't Post

"Red" for the name of the company rather than the optics. (Sorry Flagg, I should have been more specific, but I appreciated the info regardless.)

Here's a little on Red Ray players:

Red’s latest innovation is less sexy, but may have a wider impact. The company recently demonstrated its Red Ray video player, which can compress 4K video down to 10Mbps of data (in comparison, uncompressed 4K is 10GBps), which is close to the maximum throughput of an 802.11b wireless network. In other words, if Red’s claims turn out to be anywhere close to true, we could move right past Blu-ray and other 1080p video and start thinking of a home theater setup built around 4K. It could be relatively painless to stream 4K video using the Red Ray codec over 802.11g/n or wired networks.

Accessed today but the article is from 2 years(!!!) ago: http://www.zdnet.com/...e-video-playback/731

Touching on R11's point the article goes onto say (now this is 2 years ago) that the 4K HDTVs that one would need to get the most out of RR are not even close to reaching market.

Also it appears that compression is going to be the name of the game for many years to come making, for now at least, 48fps superfluous. On the other hand, as technology catches up on the distribution, home viewing side, TH might be the first movie who's quality gets better over time. That is unless there is an issue on the archival side of all these advances. DVD's seem to be breaking down in under a decade.... yet another can of worms :)

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on Apr 16 2011, 10:46pm)

hutch
Rohan

Apr 16 2011, 11:36pm

Post #233 of 238 (1087 views)
Shortcut
word in the biz [In reply to] Can't Post

is that blu-ray is already dead. there's a new format just waitin on new tvs to catch up to the tech.

tech moves so quickly these days.

hutch
Rohan

Apr 16 2011, 11:37pm

Post #234 of 238 (1068 views)
Shortcut
compression is the devil [In reply to] Can't Post

Mad

sphdle1
Gondor

Apr 17 2011, 2:09pm

Post #235 of 238 (1013 views)
Shortcut
Redray is old technology (CDs/DVDs) [In reply to] Can't Post

though it's not in the current blu-ray specs, there may be a possibility they could upgrade new players to be 48fps capable..?

sphdle1

"You shall not pass!"

Ermanatar
The Shire

Apr 17 2011, 6:05pm

Post #236 of 238 (1004 views)
Shortcut
They might even.... [In reply to] Can't Post

take discs out of the equation entirely. Microsoft is convinced that the future of home entertainment is in direct downloads purchased from a completely digital source. One day, our home theater collection may be filled with hard drives instead of dvd's or blu-ray discs. I sure hope they make hard drives look more pleasing to the eye by then!

And hey fellas, take a look at the Peter Jackson video one more time and freeze frame it at about 1 minute 13 seconds in and you will see a digital Goblin-King on the screen. At least that's what I think it is. Large head? Non-human like quality? You be the judge!

Play Lord of the Rings Online!!! Find me, Ithronatar, on the Silverlode server!!!

Nazger
The Shire

Apr 18 2011, 8:17am

Post #237 of 238 (965 views)
Shortcut
Surreal is the word [In reply to] Can't Post

So weird to see the old crew back together!
My thoughts: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fuP3wQf8l4

(This post was edited by Nazger on Apr 18 2011, 8:17am)

And back again
Rivendell

Apr 18 2011, 11:07am

Post #238 of 238 (1157 views)
Shortcut
I have to admit [In reply to] Can't Post

That I held out pretty well until Richard Armitage started on his speech and then I just blubbed away.

Such a family feeling. Good-will and bonhomie abound. That's what makes it feel so grrrrrrrrrrreat.

I will go there ... and back again.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.