Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Film-only Characters in 'The Hobbit'

News from Bree
spymaster@theonering.net

Apr 12 2011, 1:48pm

Post #1 of 16 (1761 views)
Shortcut
Film-only Characters in 'The Hobbit' Can't Post

In a recent interview with the LA Times, Saiorse Ronan, who is rumored to play the part of 'Itaril' in the Hobbit films, confirmed that it was still only a rumor with this interesting tidbit:
"Pete is adding a lot of characters in the film adaption," she said. "Hopefully they have a part for me."

A few days later, she said in an interview with Total Film that they wanted her to be in The Hobbit, though as whom remains to be seen.

We already know that PJ is bringing a lot of characters from The Lord of the Rings to The Hobbit films, including some who were only briefly mentioned in the book and were not mentioned in the LOTR films at all (such as Radagast and Drogo). How many characters, however, has he invented solely for the films? Is this rumored Itaril a special case, or are there more to come?

What roles could be played by characters created for the films? (Hobbit Book Spoilers ahead!)

Unlike the noble families we encounter in The Lord of the Rings, those in The Hobbit have few known family members.. While Thorin's lineage is outlined clearly by Tolkien, little is known about the families of the Elf-king Thranduil and Bard, descendent of the last king of Dale. There is potential for film-only characters related to either one of these kings.

Tolkien told us little about Bard or his family; while he does have a son that succeeds him later on, we do not know who his wife was. Considering Bard's role in Smaug's death, the films will very likely expand his character and introduce him earlier than the book did. In the expansion of his character, PJ could give him a family and create a whole side-story dealing with Bard, his wife, and possibly his son.

The Elf-king is also notably without much of a family. In canon, Thranduil has a father, Oropher, who died in the Last Alliance, and a son, Legolas. Again, no wife is mentioned and it is never stated if Thranduil or Legolas had any siblings.

When Thranduil captures the Dwarves, he is clearly an antagonist; he is yet another obstacle on their quest to the Lonely Mountain. To give him a wife or a daughter would give the audience the chance to see him in another light. A wife or daughter could also play a role in Bilbo and the Dwarves' escape, allowing at least one Mirkwood Elf the opportunity to be an ally of the main heroes of the story. If the Itaril rumors are true, perhaps this will be Ronan's role.

'But wait!' you say. 'I don't want some characters created by PJ upstaging Bilbo's story!' I agree. The existence of film-only characters does not mean that Bilbo will be overshadowed by them. After all, look at some of the movie-only characters from LOTR.

In The Two Towers, the script involved the members of the Rohan peasant family. The mother, unnamed in the films but called Morwen in the credits, sends her children, Eothain and Freda, to Edoras to raise the alarm. At Helm's Deep the family is reunited. PJ effectively brought the situation in Rohan closer to home by focusing on a normal family. How much screen time did this take? No more than a few minutes.

I believe it is possible to do the same in the Hobbit films. If done correctly, additions to Thranduil's or Bard's family can give them another dimension that connects them more with the general film audience. There is no need to spend tons of time on it, either; with a good script and good acting, such an effect can be achieved in a few short minutes. If Itaril fulfills a supporting role such as this, I do not think she will be a bad addition to the films.

Of course, we could always end up with an elf-warrior wench that falls into an overly dramatic romantic relationship with Bilbo. But I like to think optimistically, and I don't think Mr. Bilbo Baggins would tolerate such nonsense.

=====================

Ainu Laire is a TheOneRing.net staffer and regular contributor. She is currently focusing her efforts on revitalizing TheOneRing.net's Fan Art initiative. (stay tuned!)

Bound
Rohan

Apr 12 2011, 8:19pm

Post #2 of 16 (477 views)
Shortcut
Well said... [In reply to] Can't Post

I think this article is a wonderful summerization of all my thoughts and feelings. There is room for new characters as long as it's within reason.

wonderful article. Well said indeed...

the man in black fled across the desert and the gunslinger followed

Garfeimao
Rohan

Apr 12 2011, 10:47pm

Post #3 of 16 (429 views)
Shortcut
love the artwork [In reply to] Can't Post

The picture of the Elven suitor for Bilbo's affection is precious, and not in an evil ring of power sort of way. Well done, Suvi.

Peace, Love and Rock & Roll,

Garfeimao
The orange stripey One

Cruise to Middle-earth

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 13 2011, 7:36am

Post #4 of 16 (329 views)
Shortcut
Great article and greater sketches ;) [In reply to] Can't Post

I completely agree with what you've said in there. And as Garfeimao said, that sketch of Bilbo with the Elf-maid is almost priceless Sly

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Apr 13 2011, 3:02pm

Post #5 of 16 (312 views)
Shortcut
My good friend works in theatrical advertising at Warner Bros., and told me that [In reply to] Can't Post

Peter Jackson is including a slew of "awesome" new characters, including:

-Radawen, a former Haradrim woman who was adopted by Ecthelion at an early age, she is older sister of Denethor and has become a "Gondorian special forces operative" hellbent on destroying the forces of darkness wherever they may be in Middle-earth; think Faramir's Rangers but much, much tougher and louder. Denethor constantly grosses her out by wiping his boogers on her armor. They want Michelle Rodruigez for this role, to get the "Avatar" crowd.

-Mooboo, a new Dwarvish character who has been added to the Company to provide comedic relief; he's constantly tripping over things, burping, farting, and crying. Also, he sweats blood in his sleep. For some reason, he's a mutant Dwarf and is actually taller than Gandalf. He'll be realized using motion-capture and will be played by Ahmed Best.

-Bumpy the Schnook, a character created to allow more screen-time for PJ's soul-mate, Andy Serkis. He'll add nothing to the film other than sneering at the other characters a lot and acting like a general schook, as well as hanging out with his bussom buddy, Goy, (a cameo for Mel Gibson). At one point, Bumpy will encounter Gollum and start firing off arrows at him, ironically depicting Andy Serkis shooting at Andy Serkis. He's swallowed alive by the Watcher in the Water; in the Extended Edition, he'll escape out the other end, but then get swallowed again.

We'll also be seeing a lot of "Baby Gothmog" and his family, where we'll learn the Orc-Chieftain's back-story, how come he's so grouchy all the time, and how he got so misshapen in the first place.

And that's only the tip of the iceberg! We're in for quite the experience come 2012...! Cool

I would rather be watching Peter Jackson's "The Hobbit" and Ridley Scott's "Prometheus"...it's going to be a long few years.

(This post was edited by Captain Salt on Apr 13 2011, 3:11pm)

RosieLass
Valinor

Apr 13 2011, 3:33pm

Post #6 of 16 (270 views)
Shortcut
Awesome!!1! [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't wait to see it. Laugh

It is always those with the fewest sensible things to say who make the loudest noise in saying them. --Precious Ramotswe (Alexander McCall Smith)

RosieLass
Valinor

Apr 13 2011, 3:36pm

Post #7 of 16 (276 views)
Shortcut
New characters are fine. [In reply to] Can't Post

As long as they don't infringe on the story.

I've joked about Legolas having a kid sister, and him being sent to the BOFA as an alternative to being sent to his room. Cool

But seriously, giving Thranduil a wife and family would be fine. But having one of them actively assist in the dwarves' escape? No. Leave that to Bilbo.

Also, developing Bard's family would also be fine, if nothing else to flesh out his character and give him more interest.

It is always those with the fewest sensible things to say who make the loudest noise in saying them. --Precious Ramotswe (Alexander McCall Smith)

Flagg
Tol Eressea

Apr 13 2011, 3:46pm

Post #8 of 16 (275 views)
Shortcut
Giving Thranduil a wife would be welcome. [In reply to] Can't Post

The existence of Legolas proves that Thranduil's wife was a character present in Tolkien's authentic conception of Middle-earth. To me this makes her a more acceptable addition than – for example – Itaril, of whom Tolkien gives us not even a hint.

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Apr 13 2011, 3:57pm

Post #9 of 16 (259 views)
Shortcut
Unless Itaril is Thranduil's daughter... [In reply to] Can't Post

which I assume she will be, given how she Ronan looks like she could related to Orlando Bloom.

Rossie, yes, it will be glorious! CoolWink

I would rather be watching Peter Jackson's "The Hobbit" and Ridley Scott's "Prometheus"...it's going to be a long few years.

(This post was edited by Captain Salt on Apr 13 2011, 3:57pm)

Symbelmine
Rohan

Apr 13 2011, 4:20pm

Post #10 of 16 (260 views)
Shortcut
Itaril as Thranduil's daughter [In reply to] Can't Post

would be okay in my opinion. But to me it seems unlikely since she is supposed to be part of his guard. How could his daughter to be his guard and warrior? Impossible IMO Frown

Symbelmine
Rohan

Apr 13 2011, 4:23pm

Post #11 of 16 (252 views)
Shortcut
Second that. [In reply to] Can't Post

I noticed there is a widely spread idea that Thranduil's wife died. But it's purely fanon.

RosieLass
Valinor

Apr 13 2011, 4:25pm

Post #12 of 16 (258 views)
Shortcut
Has it been confirmed that she is part of his guard? [In reply to] Can't Post

As far as I know, Itaril's mere existence is still nothing but rumor.

And since they talked PJ out of letting Arwen fight at Helm's Deep (because it was a really bad idea), I don't see any reason why they'd try to shoehorn another female warrior into the Hobbit.

Symbelmine
Rohan

Apr 13 2011, 4:27pm

Post #13 of 16 (252 views)
Shortcut
It was in the casting call [In reply to] Can't Post

Non of fans know if it was correct or not.
Yes, things might have changed. Hopefully.

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Apr 13 2011, 4:33pm

Post #14 of 16 (251 views)
Shortcut
Itaril [In reply to] Can't Post

The entire character of Itaril is based on one of the early casting calls, which TORn debunked but several of the less likely aspects have come true, so...

[ITARIL] FEMALE, A WOODLAND ELF, this character is one the Silvan Elves. The Silvan Elves are seen as more earthy and practical. Shorter than other elves, she is still quick and lithe and physically adept, being able to fight with both sword and bow. Showing promise as a fighter at a young age, ITARIL was chosen to train to become part of the Woodland King’s Guard. This is the only life she has ever expected to live, until she meets and secretly falls in love with a young ELF LORD. This role will require a wig and contact lenses to be worn. Some prosthetic make-up may also be required. LEAD. AGE: 17-27. ACCENT – STANDARD R.P.

http://www.movies.spoilertv.com/...it-casting-call.html

http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=231199#231199

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Apr 13 2011, 4:36pm

Post #15 of 16 (252 views)
Shortcut
Well, other than Ronan and Bloom looking rather similar... [In reply to] Can't Post

If they could get it to work, IMO it would validate Itaril's presence in Middle-earth somewhat, by tying her into Tolkien-created characters/genealogy. Thranduil allowing his daughter to serve in his Guard my be one of the cultural differences the Wood-elves have with their counterparts elsewhere.

BTW, in the "audition video" for the would-be actress "reading" for Itaril which may or may not have been lines from actual casting sides, she mentions that her mother is dead...

Arwen, I seem to recall ToRN never "debunked" the casting call, their exact words were something along the lines of "it's partially inaccurate". Considering that Radagast and Drogo have been cast, Bret McKenzie's Lindir may be the "Elf Lord of Rivendell", an actress auditioned for Primula and another is rumored for Itaril, I think the info is question is totally bunk! Or something...Tongue

(This post was edited by Captain Salt on Apr 13 2011, 4:40pm)

elostirion74
Rohan

Apr 13 2011, 7:22pm

Post #16 of 16 (296 views)
Shortcut
the scale of LoTR is different from TH [In reply to] Can't Post

I don´t doubt that there will be some added characters in the Hobbit and they don´t neccessarily have to be on screen for a long time to make an impact or fulfil their function.

Still it seems to me that it easy to forget the difference between the scale of LoTR vs that of THE Hobbit. Even if the Hobbit has been split into two parts and some sub-plots have been added, the scale of the Hobbit will still be much smaller than that of LoTR. In LoTR some extra "normal characters" were added to get a more personal attachment to large scale conflicts with grand themes. The Hobbit doesn´t need much of that; there are enough interesting characters to relate to in the main cast who will all have their own set of personal traits to engage the audience.

Bard doesn´t get more interesting if he has a family, quite the contrary; he´s much more interesting as a sort of grim loner who joins forces with the Elven King. He has sufficient motivation for his actions in wanting to restore Dale as a realm of his own.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.