Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
Anyone Use LOTR Dialogue in Daily Life??
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

13th Warrior

Jul 24 2007, 9:48pm

Post #1 of 29 (608 views)
Shortcut
Anyone Use LOTR Dialogue in Daily Life?? Can't Post

Greetings, haven't posted in a while, hope everyone is having an enjoyable summer.

Does anyone use LOTR lines in their day to day life?? Some of the dialogue is absolutely to the point and useful in different situations.

When different partners abandon a work or business project , what you say to those who remain: "Our list of allies grows thin."

What you say to a naive, inexperienced person who is flirting with danger that you may know something about and you are trying to warn them:
"You're not nearly frightened enough. I know what hunts you."

I once looked at the wedding rings of two newly married friends and said, "Wait. There are markings on these. It's some form of Elvish."

Just a few fun ways of injecting LOTR dialogue into real life situations. Anyone got any more????

No. 13 Warrior,
Left Field Caliphate

weaver
Half-elven

Jul 24 2007, 10:33pm

Post #2 of 29 (229 views)
Shortcut
all the time... [In reply to] Can't Post

Though we tend to frequent some lines over others depending on circumstance.

"What time do you think we have?", "I was wrong to despair" and variations on "going to Mordor" are some current favorites -- we run our own business, and are up against some pretty serious work-related deadlines and pieces that haven't fallen into place yet. Those lines kind of help us realize that life could be worse!

They hey-day for using film lines, of course, was when the films were still in the theaters. Mostly, it's become a kind of shorthand around here -- my husband and I think quite differently about most things -- so we've fallen into using film scenes as analogies to quickly explain where we're coming from at times. Saves us from lots of time spent on "translating" left brain thoughts into right brain thinking and vice versa...

Good to see you on this Board again!

Weaver

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 25 2007, 2:44am

Post #3 of 29 (203 views)
Shortcut
"It's mine! My own! My preciousss!" [In reply to] Can't Post

My geeky son has a tendency to overuse this phrase Crazy!

And you know what is repeated, whenever po-tay-toes are mentioned...

But that's about it; other phrases do appear, from Star Trek and Star Wars as well as LotR, but not regularly.

Nice to see your nick around here again! Heh, love what you said about those wedding rings - what was the couple's reaction?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Only I hear the stones lament them: deep they delved us, fair they wrought us, high they builded us; but they are gone. They are gone. They sought the Havens long ago."
(Avatar pic: The Calanais stones, Isle of Lewis)

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

13th Warrior

Jul 25 2007, 7:50am

Post #4 of 29 (203 views)
Shortcut
Dialogue Fun [In reply to] Can't Post

dern,
my married friends were amused, and somewhat inebriated at the time. cool couple stayed and partied down with us, instead of leaving in mid party to rush to the airport for honeymoon getaway. at one wedding, we ate crabcakes, buffalo wings and drank beer until 3 or 4 am, and the happy couple chugged right along with us.

got them wedding present with LOTR theme: huge all in one oversized LOTR hardback book. think it had alan lee illustrations. might have been annotated too.

"Welcome to Rivendell Frodo Baggins" can be used as a friendly greeting for a like minded ringer. Or it's slightly sarcastic if you used it on the friends who got a flat tire and fell in the mud changing it on their way to see you.

Interesting stuff.
No. 13 Warrior
Left Field Caliphate

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 25 2007, 10:53am

Post #5 of 29 (191 views)
Shortcut
LOL! [In reply to] Can't Post

You've certainly been to some fun weddings!

I understand that they did film a take of Hugo Weaving and Viggo Mortensen where Hugo turns around wearing dark glasses and says something like "Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Aragorn". Wish they'd put that on the DVDs!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Only I hear the stones lament them: deep they delved us, fair they wrought us, high they builded us; but they are gone. They are gone. They sought the Havens long ago."
(Avatar pic: The Calanais stones, Isle of Lewis)

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Jul 25 2007, 12:27pm

Post #6 of 29 (201 views)
Shortcut
Certainly! [In reply to] Can't Post

I use "my precious" quite often... not all the time in the Gollum voice, but those who know me know that I am thinking about it.

"You shall not pass" has slipped my lips here and there.

I also call my friends "mellon", especially through IM. I sometimes say "suilad" or "navaer"/"namarie", or even "mae govannen".

I ALWAYS say "Ai!" when I'm releasing frustration or I'm a bit shocked. It is more often "ai" then "oh" or "ack".

When I'm thinking and need a while, I say/type "Hum", which comes from "hoom" as the ents do. When spoken it is always drawn out a bit. That is now a permanent part of me XD

When I go hiking, I will sing "The road goes ever on and on"... well, the 8 verses I know.

And, naturally, I slip in some lines here and there, especially when I'm feeling particularily geeky :)

My LJ
My art site
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

sherlock
Gondor

Jul 25 2007, 1:56pm

Post #7 of 29 (190 views)
Shortcut
The yellow face, we hates it! [In reply to] Can't Post

I use many but this one comes to mind this time of year.

Ostadan
Rivendell

Jul 25 2007, 3:00pm

Post #8 of 29 (205 views)
Shortcut
Book Quote, not Movie [In reply to] Can't Post

I frequently quote Tom Bombadil's reply when the hobbits asked him whether it would rain the next day: "I am no weather-master, nor is aught that goes on two legs." I am on holiday in England, where weather forecasts for more than 12 hours or so are completely unreliable.

priell3
Lorien

Jul 25 2007, 3:24pm

Post #9 of 29 (184 views)
Shortcut
Anytime... [In reply to] Can't Post

...I'm having taters, I think of or make a comment. You know, "Po-ta-toes".
I use other dialogue too, just spills out subconsciously.

(This post was edited by priell3 on Jul 25 2007, 3:33pm)

Patty
Immortal

Jul 25 2007, 3:41pm

Post #10 of 29 (195 views)
Shortcut
One thing I said at Christmas time... [In reply to] Can't Post

I had found during a storm that my daughter and her family were in the dark because they didn't have any batteries for their flashlights. So hubby and I bought them the kind of flashlights that you shake and produce a chemical reaction to have light. We got one for my daughter, my eldest grandPatty, and my little grandPattyson. When each of them opened their lights, I'm sure you can guess what we said. "May it be a light for you in dark places, when all other lights go out."

Riding with the Rohirrim!

FarFromHome
Valinor

Jul 25 2007, 3:52pm

Post #11 of 29 (178 views)
Shortcut
Not such a great summer [In reply to] Can't Post

for your holiday in England, eh? Hope you haven't got caught up in the floods.

...and the sails were drawn up, and the wind blew,
and slowly the ship slipped away down the long grey firth;
and the light of the glass of Galadriel that Frodo bore
glimmered and was lost.

FarFromHome
Valinor

Jul 25 2007, 3:54pm

Post #12 of 29 (194 views)
Shortcut
Whenever I'm on a diet [In reply to] Can't Post

(or anytime I need a snack!) my favourite line is, "She's hungry, oh yes she is precious...."

...and the sails were drawn up, and the wind blew,
and slowly the ship slipped away down the long grey firth;
and the light of the glass of Galadriel that Frodo bore
glimmered and was lost.

Darkstone
Immortal

Jul 25 2007, 4:27pm

Post #13 of 29 (191 views)
Shortcut
"Tell me, boss, when did management abandon reason for madness?" [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah, I've really said that.

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.”

GreenHeart
Rivendell

Jul 26 2007, 12:49am

Post #14 of 29 (168 views)
Shortcut
"Fly, you fools!" [In reply to] Can't Post

I say this when there are birds in the road, which happens frequently.

Once, when I was baking, I looked down at the black sweat pants I was wearing and realized that I'd made a hand-print in flour on them. So of course, I gasped "The white hand of Saruman!" Now it's a standard whenever I bake.

Then there's "What's ______ (fill in the blank), Preciousss?"

When asked how old I am, I say "I am old. Very old." Most people don't get it (unless I'm in Barliman's chat.)

I know there are more - I riff Tolkien every chance I get - but these are the first ones to come to mind. Fun stuff!! Smile

Loresilme
Valinor

Jul 26 2007, 1:03am

Post #15 of 29 (176 views)
Shortcut
All the time, and I don't know if it makes me crazy or [In reply to] Can't Post

keeps me sane Laugh.

I say many things to myself, particularly at work. Although, unlike Darkstone I have not yet had the courage to say certain things out loud, such as, listening to rambling, ego-driven, semi-coherent executive speeches, and thinking,
"Where is Gandalf?! Denethor has lost his mind!!"

Or the endless variations on the theme of "A day may come when … but it is not this day", such as inserting:
<"when you make sense">
<"when I will say what I really think about the viability of this project">
<"when I will try sushi">

Calling to my cat in imitation of Elijah's Brit accent ..
"Come Smeagol! Come to Mahstah … Smeagol, you must trust Mahstah!"

In reference to one's snoring roommate / spouse / significant other:
"The dwarf breathes so loud we could have shot him in the dark."

And last but not least … upon emerging from a heavily used Port-o-San at the foot of a local hiking mountain, gasping:
"The very air you breathe is a poisonous fume."
(Which proves that there's a LOTR quote for just about every occasion Tongue!)

Eärwen Swan Maiden Of Alqualondë
Bree

Jul 26 2007, 5:50am

Post #16 of 29 (170 views)
Shortcut
In addition to the ubiquitous "My Preciousss" [In reply to] Can't Post

Which can be applied to a surprising number of situations by the way, I have been known to respond with different variations of Gandalf's "A wizard is never late" speech when someone informs me that I am, indeed, late.

Also, I have found that "What is this new devilry?" is an excellent response when confronted with some new situation/item that is not necessarily to your liking. ie Professor: "I am changing the format of the exam to include essay questions." Me (muttering under my breath): "What is this new devilry?" or, upon opening your birthday present from your Aunt that contains an orange knitted hat with yellow pom pom and matching orange polyester sweater, "What is this new devilry?"

I know I use more LOTR phrases, but I cannot think of them at the moment.

Peek-A-Boo!

Nuradar
Rohan

Jul 26 2007, 6:37pm

Post #17 of 29 (175 views)
Shortcut
movie lines [In reply to] Can't Post

As often as I can. They're mostly spontaneous and depend on context, so I don't remember most of them. Here are a couple that I do remember, though:
  • One time, when I dropped my wedding ring, my friend picked it up for me, and I spontaneously channelled Gollum for a laugh, and snatched it from his hands (as he was kindly giving it back to me) and said "Give it to us. It's mine, my own!" And when I got it, I rubbed it and said softly, "My preciousss."
  • If I ever find myself confronted by a new challenge, I say, "What new devilry is this?" Or is it, "What is this new devilry?"?

Missa
The Shire

Jul 27 2007, 4:14am

Post #18 of 29 (158 views)
Shortcut
you guys are hilarious [In reply to] Can't Post

believe it or not. since I'm a soccer girl on my team and we face someone tough, I quote Aragorn's speech every game. and the girls love it. but of course I reword it. like "Daughters of Soccer! Of Simon (my team coach)! My sisters! I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me." something like that.

but this is a funny thread. I feel like I'm related to you or something. I use LOTR phrases in my everyday vocabulary especially at school or church. kids think I'm insane.

usually when somebody is getting on my nerves like my brother or friends I say "stupid fat hobbit!" almost too many times lol

if some nasty pervert twice my age is trying to hit on me I might just say "leave me alone snake!" i scare random guys off like that.

one time I made an old joke to my uncle. he's another LOTR lover. on his birthday I said to him "you are DEFINATELY one of the Dúnedain" he almost had my head lol

whenever I play a game with some friends and I'm winning I usually taunt them with "Is this it? Is this all you can conjure, Saruman?".

my parents are very strict but we respect them alot. however my siblings and I do have our jokes. like usually when my parents rant around the house yelling, and when they leave I say to my sister "full of darkness and danger they were". and whenever somebody gets beat or grounded my brother goes "blood has been spilt this night."

that's all I can think of for now.

The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return.

13th Warrior

Jul 27 2007, 9:06am

Post #19 of 29 (153 views)
Shortcut
Your Soccer Team...... [In reply to] Can't Post

should take the field, yelling, "forth Eorlingas!!!!" and you can call yourselves the Shieldmaidens of The North. Or The Eowyns. Or the Bend It Like Beckhams. Just some ideas.

No. 13 Warrior
Left Field Caliphate

(This post was edited by 13th Warrior on Jul 27 2007, 9:07am)

Loresilme
Valinor

Jul 27 2007, 12:46pm

Post #20 of 29 (137 views)
Shortcut
You are so funny! [In reply to] Can't Post

I think if I was ranting at my daughter and as I walked out she muttered, 'full of darkness and anger they were', I would just lose it and fall on the floor laughing. And telling your uncle he is like one of the Dunedain! And, but wait a minute, on that Theoden line - after he said, "Is that it....(etc)?" wasn't it right after that, that ... um, all heck broke lose and they really got nailed Tongue?

That's so neat that your brothers and sisters also know all the lines too. You guys must have such fun hanging out together!

Nuradar
Rohan

Jul 27 2007, 3:32pm

Post #21 of 29 (131 views)
Shortcut
you're too funny! [In reply to] Can't Post

Those are hilarious examples, Missa. I especially like the uses of ""Is this it? Is this all you can conjure, Saruman?", and "Blood has been spilt this night." I have to remember to use those whenever I get a chance.

Nuradar
Rohan

Jul 27 2007, 3:34pm

Post #22 of 29 (129 views)
Shortcut
great post [In reply to] Can't Post

Great idea for a post, 13th Warrior! Thanks for putting it up. Many years ago, I could barely go a day without using a line from Star Wars or Pulp Fiction, but I'm slowly starting to use more and more LOTR lines.

Missa
The Shire

Jul 27 2007, 7:15pm

Post #23 of 29 (121 views)
Shortcut
lol thanks [In reply to] Can't Post

thanks guys. yeah sometimes I can calm my parents down by quoting LOTR phrases. it doesn't work so much on my mother but my father is softie. I've made my brothers and sister watch all of the Lord of the Rings movies as much as I have and read the books. they don't have a choice but to know so many quotes lol. But they love it too. usually when my little brother and I are bored or in trouble we play a game called name that Hobbit. even though it's more broad. we say a quote from either the book or movie and the other person has to guess which one it's from and who said it. great way to pass the time away.

The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return.

Reptile
Rivendell

Jul 27 2007, 7:28pm

Post #24 of 29 (129 views)
Shortcut
"Nothing for Grishnak... nothing for Smoky." [In reply to] Can't Post

I always say this to my dog when she begs at the dinner table. Also, when I'm preparing meat for dinner: "There's knife work here needs doing." I have to admit, I think the Grishnak quote came from the Bakshi movie, at least I've been saying it since since I first saw that movie.

I know it's not Tolkien, but my daughter loves it when catch her off guard by saying, "Good night, sleep well, I'll most likely kill you in the morning." This is from The Princess Bride, of course, which is one of our family favorites.

"If you listen closely, you can hear the gods laughing."

ringhead91
Rivendell

Jul 28 2007, 2:31am

Post #25 of 29 (124 views)
Shortcut
When going to a math exam: "These are the footsteps of doom." [In reply to] Can't Post

The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.