Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Saoirse Ronan Interview in 'Total Film'
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

News from Bree
spymaster@theonering.net

Apr 2 2011, 6:04am

Post #1 of 121 (3663 views)
Shortcut
Saoirse Ronan Interview in 'Total Film' Can't Post

If you fell for our April Fool's yesterday, don't feel too bad. We included a long standing rumor of Saoirse Ronan as Itaril to help convince you the release was 'real.' As we all know, Saoirse has been talking about her possible role as Itaril the elf for a few months. The latest piece of evidence that she is in fact already cast comes from the latest issue of Total Film magazine. In the 'Buzz' section, Total Film interviews Saoirse Ronan and asks...
You're just about to start shooting The Hobbit - how long have you known that you might be in it?

When I did The lovely Bones, they said, "We want you to be in The Hobbit." I love the book. It'd be so cool to go back to New Zealand Again.

The question is pretty clear she is cast and she doesn't refute it in the answer. Just another piece of evidence that we will see Saoirse in The Hobbit. But will she be the created role of Itaril? Another role? We won't know until the real official press release. Thanks to Ringer TheArcher777 for sending in a scan of the interview for your viewing pleasure. Share your thoughts and opinion in our comments, forum and on facebook! [Scan of Interview] [Total Film]

LoremIpsum
Lorien

Apr 2 2011, 12:15pm

Post #2 of 121 (2001 views)
Shortcut
Awesome [In reply to] Can't Post

Can't wait to see her in the Hobbit and obviously if they wanted her in the Hobbit since 2008 they must have something specific in mind - Mirkwood elf Itaril, Primula or someone else? I'm sure she will be great in any role.

(This post was edited by LoremIpsum on Apr 2 2011, 12:16pm)

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Apr 2 2011, 12:50pm

Post #3 of 121 (2019 views)
Shortcut
The Elvin Warrior Wench is... [In reply to] Can't Post

Was there ever a doubt?

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

RaoulJ
Rivendell

Apr 2 2011, 1:17pm

Post #4 of 121 (1966 views)
Shortcut
Hahaha [In reply to] Can't Post

The more you mention the wench the more I'd like to see her.. "Bilbo, thirteen dwarves, a wizard and one elven Warrior Wench. Coming to theatres near you, december 2012"

On topic:
And what about Ronan for Primula? The mother of Frodo. Look at her eyes!

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Apr 2 2011, 1:21pm

Post #5 of 121 (1959 views)
Shortcut
I think we can start working on that happy dance, [In reply to] Can't Post

though there are a few (may I say) spoiled sports who will not wish to join in.

Photobucket

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 2 2011, 1:28pm

Post #6 of 121 (1959 views)
Shortcut
I've been a huge fan of Saoirse since I saw her in Atonement years ago... [In reply to] Can't Post

... she's a wonderful, brilliant, and beautiful actress. Also, I trust PJ and co. not to mess up the storyline with unnecessary characters.

So all in all, I'm pretty confident whatever character Saoirse plays will be one worth having in the films, and could really only be a good thing (even if it's Itaril... who's more infamous than she needs to be).

Owain
Tol Eressea

Apr 2 2011, 1:41pm

Post #7 of 121 (1938 views)
Shortcut
Great actress... It will be interesting [In reply to] Can't Post

To see if she fulfills the rumored role of Itaril.

Middle Earth is New Zealand!

"Question everything, embrace the bad, and hold on to the good."

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Apr 2 2011, 1:50pm

Post #8 of 121 (1955 views)
Shortcut
You know, I would not be supprised [In reply to] Can't Post

if they change the character's name just to take some of the heat off.

Photobucket

Flagg
Tol Eressea

Apr 2 2011, 2:03pm

Post #9 of 121 (1987 views)
Shortcut
I've always thought it was a clumsy name. [In reply to] Can't Post

It's perplexing that they did not use the much more pleasant 'Idril'. Nonetheless I look forward to seeing her in the films... complaining about the presence of a created character will not get me anywhere.

RaoulJ
Rivendell

Apr 2 2011, 2:18pm

Post #10 of 121 (1905 views)
Shortcut
Left, one two three... Right one two three // [In reply to] Can't Post

Ruijor
Rohan

Apr 2 2011, 3:19pm

Post #11 of 121 (1879 views)
Shortcut
Ill jump on this wagon [In reply to] Can't Post

Itaril or Frodos mother I support Team Jackson on this.

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Apr 2 2011, 5:04pm

Post #12 of 121 (1879 views)
Shortcut
"We want you to be in The Hobbit." [In reply to] Can't Post

Depending on what she meant by "When I did The lovely Bones" the offer of a role in the Hobbit may have come as long ago as early 2008. IOW before a director was announced and certainly long before a script was written. Even if the offer was made closer to TLB's release date (late 2009) there was as yet no script.

Why does this matter? Well a lot has been made of her suitability for "the role" (of which we still do not know anything) or whether a role was written just for her (for whatever reason).

Not to mention -- ok, well I'm mentioning it -- what of the audition? No one else had a chance since there never was a role that did not already belong to SR in the first place.

There is another question that only one person (who doesn't post here) can answer: If there was no SR, would an Itaril type character have been added to TH?

Bound
Rohan

Apr 2 2011, 5:14pm

Post #13 of 121 (1862 views)
Shortcut
I for one.. [In reply to] Can't Post

Look forward to seeing what she brings to the movie(s). We don't know what her final role will be - it could be a small part after all.

I like her work and thought she did her best in The Lovely Bones but the movie (in my opinion) was just to all over the place. Here's hoping her reunion with PJ will deliver better results.

the man in black fled across the desert and the gunslinger followed

LoremIpsum
Lorien

Apr 2 2011, 5:26pm

Post #14 of 121 (1845 views)
Shortcut
Not at all [In reply to] Can't Post

it's one of my all time favourite movies, and Ronan's performance in it is why I want to see her in the Hobbit.

R11
Lorien

Apr 2 2011, 5:27pm

Post #15 of 121 (1847 views)
Shortcut
I'd imagine [In reply to] Can't Post

That PJ & Co had been kicking around many ideas as to things they might want to do with the films long before the scripts were written. Of course it's possible they created her role simply to get her in them, but I'd think it's probably more likely they saw her as a good fit for an idea they already had in mind myself.

ron

Bound
Rohan

Apr 2 2011, 5:32pm

Post #16 of 121 (1829 views)
Shortcut
Just an opinon... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not taking anything away from your point. She was the best thing in the Lovely Bones but the movie to me - just was bad on nearly all fronts. Couldn't believe PJ and CO had missed the mark so much.

But she'll be great in whatever they get her to do...

the man in black fled across the desert and the gunslinger followed

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Apr 2 2011, 5:40pm

Post #17 of 121 (1826 views)
Shortcut
I think the primary problem [In reply to] Can't Post

lay with the source material. The book..well I waded through half of it and gave up. My wife made it all the way through and said that it was really bad. I never went back on her recommendation.

Photobucket

R11
Lorien

Apr 2 2011, 5:40pm

Post #18 of 121 (1831 views)
Shortcut
Polarizing [In reply to] Can't Post

I just rewatched it a week or so ago, and personally I like it quite a bit and think it's a good movie. Not great, but definitely good, (despite it's morose side).

ron

RaoulJ
Rivendell

Apr 2 2011, 6:03pm

Post #19 of 121 (1815 views)
Shortcut
The book wasn't good... [In reply to] Can't Post

but I do think that PJ made the best of it. The movie was better than the book in my opinion, it changed some things and left some things out, and even put some things in that weren't even there.

Why they chose a pretty bad book in the first place I don't know... I've read it and I wonder why PJ (or Fran Walsh in this case) thought of it as a good movie. I can name a hundred better books that would be better movies...

Tim
Tol Eressea

Apr 2 2011, 6:13pm

Post #20 of 121 (1806 views)
Shortcut
Noob question [In reply to] Can't Post

Is it normal practice for a movie to keep its casting secret even after they've started production? I thought they basically announced the cast before they started filming - what is the point of keeping her role secret? Crazy

King Arthur: Who are you who can summon fire without flint or tinder?
Tim: There are some who call me... Tim?

Tim
Tol Eressea

Apr 2 2011, 6:15pm

Post #21 of 121 (1802 views)
Shortcut
Well it's subjective [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
but I do think that PJ made the best of it. The movie was better than the book in my opinion, it changed some things and left some things out, and even put some things in that weren't even there.

Why they chose a pretty bad book in the first place I don't know... I've read it and I wonder why PJ (or Fran Walsh in this case) thought of it as a good movie. I can name a hundred better books that would be better movies...

PJ thought it was a good book. What is good and what is bad in art is not really set in concrete now is it.

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Apr 2 2011, 6:21pm

Post #22 of 121 (1802 views)
Shortcut
They do not want you to know [In reply to] Can't Post

anything about the Hobbit movies. Maybe they think it builds excitement or cuts down on complaining about anything except not knowing anything at all. How is that for a loop.

Photobucket

Tim
Tol Eressea

Apr 2 2011, 6:28pm

Post #23 of 121 (1788 views)
Shortcut
I think you and I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
anything about the Hobbit movies. Maybe they think it builds excitement or cuts down on complaining about anything except not knowing anything at all. How is that for a loop.

That loop is loopy.

Ok, in general I'm not all like "let's get spies into X movies' production and tell the world what's up" but in this case they're really askin' for it as far as I'm concerned.

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Apr 2 2011, 6:32pm

Post #24 of 121 (1844 views)
Shortcut
Separated at birth? [In reply to] Can't Post

>>>>Evan Rachel Wood >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Saoirse Ronan >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Naomi Watts

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on Apr 2 2011, 6:33pm)

Tim
Tol Eressea

Apr 2 2011, 6:34pm

Post #25 of 121 (1795 views)
Shortcut
Welllll [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

>>>>Evan Rachel Wood >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Saoirse Ronan >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Naomi Watts

Evan Rachel Wood & Saoirse Ronan to me - yeah they could almost be twins.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.