There will be NO Fiesta Friday today.
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next page Last page  View All

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Apr 3 2011, 8:26am

Post #226 of 245 (976 views)
Shortcut
Yum! Thanks, Gramma! [In reply to] Can't Post

I started at nine AM and had my tests done by ten. Then I put Tangled on the DVD player and watched for the umteenth time while I paid bills for a couple of hours. Then we went out to mail the bills and take some supplies to my father-in-law, then back home to start taxes, both ours and his. Back out to the library to get some missing forms, and then back home again. We got the first draft of those done by 9PM, and decided we'd had enough for one day. We'll go over them in a few days and check for mistakes and then mail them off. Our daughter got hers done in about half an hour.

Anyway, the ice cream was greatly appreciated! Maybe tomorrow we'll head for the hills. :-)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Apr 3 2011, 8:34am

Post #227 of 245 (992 views)
Shortcut
That's lovely! [In reply to] Can't Post

And I see an old favorite there, the Isle a Haut lullabye. I think I have that exact version on an old audio tape a friend made for me many years ago from several sources. I'll have to think about getting that album.

"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 3 2011, 9:47am

Post #228 of 245 (1006 views)
Shortcut
Same here. [In reply to] Can't Post

I need to have a proper reorganisation of my bookshelf. There's got to be a more efficient way of stacking them.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Magpie
Immortal

Apr 3 2011, 4:02pm

Post #229 of 245 (1006 views)
Shortcut
amongst my Dad's photos [In reply to] Can't Post

was a hand made stereoscope card he had done. He liked them 3D images too, now that I think of it. I think he had a stereoscope around for kicks but it wasn't an heirloom or anything. Just an old thing he'd picked up somewhere that was brought out for fun once in awhile.

I have loved Viewmasters since I was quite young. I have maybe 5 or 6 of the viewers... mostly so I could take them to parties where i was convinced everyone there would be as enchanted with them as I was and would look at all my reels. They never were. :-)

LOTR soundtrack website
magpie avatar gallery ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Magpie
Immortal

Apr 3 2011, 4:06pm

Post #230 of 245 (998 views)
Shortcut
the prediction now is for less than an inch [In reply to] Can't Post

and the high on that day is mid 40's with the highs for the rest of the week in mid 50's... so I'm letting myself be optimistic that that inch won't linger long.

I can't take those wild swings in temps. Not only does Minnesota tend to jump - mid 40s one week... mid 70's the next. But it will jump back and forth a lot. So we'll get a span of 70's... then drop back down to 50's. It takes me at least a week to adjust to those jumps.

In Michigan.. the change was more gradual and tended not to go up and down quite as much. Those lakes act as insulators that moderate the climate.

LOTR soundtrack website

Annael
Immortal

Apr 3 2011, 4:21pm

Post #231 of 245 (1003 views)
Shortcut
Guinea hens are also amazing watchbirds. [In reply to] Can't Post

I used to live up in the mountains on the "dry side" of the Cascades where there are a lot of rattlesnakes. Ranchers often kept guinea hens because they are fearless and will kill snakes or at least make so much noise you know there's a snake (or coyote, or stray dog). While I was living there, a neighbor heard his guinea hens making a big racket and went out to see what the fuss was about. He found that they had treed a black bear and her cubs!

I am not making this up.

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Magpie
Immortal

Apr 3 2011, 4:32pm

Post #232 of 245 (1027 views)
Shortcut
Isle Au Haut was a favorite of one of my sing co-hosts so we sang it a lot [In reply to] Can't Post

or rather, she sang the verse and we joined in on the choruses.

I have a musical friend who managed to do something when he sang Julian of Norwich with us that made it sound like bells ringing. It was magical.

If you're not familiar with the folks singing Julian of Norwich: Ann Muir, Ed Trickett, and Gordon Bok;.... you should check out collaborations and solo albums. They do great stuff and I bet you'll like them.

Songs they (and other people) sang that were popular around here:
  • How Can I Keep From Singing
  • Turning Toward the Morning
  • Dancing at Whitsun (about Morris Dancing and the war)
  • Waltzing With Bears

"A Most Unpleasant Way" (by Bok) is pretty fun and I love his "Arbutus"

Stan Rogers is also popular around here.

I was also thinking recently of his song "Mary Ellen Carter" Wikipedia writes: The Mary Ellen Carter is a song written and recorded by Stan Rogers, intended as an inspirational hymn about triumphing over great odds. It tells the story of a heroic effort to salvage a sunken ship, the Mary Ellen Carter, by members of her former crew. It is one of the most popular songs written by Rogers.

The chorus is:

Rise again, rise again—though your heart it be broken
Or life about to end.
No matter what you've lost, be it a home, a love, a friend,
Like the Mary Ellen Carter, rise again.

A friend who attended our sings and regularly visited Cornwall said this song became important to the people after it had been hit hard by flooding. It spoke to their perseverance to not give up and to 'rise again'. I thought of this as I read what our friends talk about the NZ earthquake. I wondered what rallied them. Was it a song? I hope so. At least... I hope that's one of many things. Singing is such a healing activity and singing together creates bonds in unique ways.

LOTR soundtrack website

(This post was edited by Magpie on Apr 3 2011, 4:33pm)

Magpie
Immortal

Apr 3 2011, 4:35pm

Post #233 of 245 (1033 views)
Shortcut
lol... what pluck! [In reply to] Can't Post

We had chickens briefly when I was young and they scared the crap out of me. They were definitely the bosses of the yard.

LOTR soundtrack website

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Apr 3 2011, 6:54pm

Post #234 of 245 (997 views)
Shortcut
I think a bunch of that ended up on that tape my friend made for me. [In reply to] Can't Post

Certainly "How can I keep from singing" and "Whitsun".

One piece on that tape was "Peter Kagan and the Wind", Gordon Bok doing some beautiful storytelling.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Apr 3 2011, 6:56pm

Post #235 of 245 (969 views)
Shortcut
It's snowing like mad here right now [In reply to] Can't Post

and yesterday the high was 83 degrees and we were riding around in the car with the windows down. They say if you don't like the weather in Colorado, wait 15 minutes. But the good news is the snow should put out the wildfire that was burning in the foothills. I saw the smoke as I was driving to church this morning. 300 homes were evacuated.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Apr 3 2011, 6:58pm

Post #236 of 245 (975 views)
Shortcut
Ah, the curse of the geek: [In reply to] Can't Post

thinking other people are going to be interested in our passions. I would have loved to look at those reals. :-)

Magpie
Immortal

Apr 3 2011, 7:48pm

Post #237 of 245 (999 views)
Shortcut
It's like that old joke, "That's bad" "No... that's good." [In reply to] Can't Post

The good with the bad... the bad with the good.

Weather is fascinating, isn't it?

LOTR soundtrack website

Magpie
Immortal

Apr 3 2011, 8:06pm

Post #238 of 245 (1039 views)
Shortcut
ha... I got Peter Kagan and the Wind on a mix tape, too. [In reply to] Can't Post

Although I don't have the tapes anymore, I kept the paper insert he made with all the titles. I often go looking for single purchase mp3s of some of this music. That's where I heard Arbutus. Other favorites from those mixes:
  • Mr. Fox - Cindy Mangsen (I learned to sing this song and it's a pretty powerful, evocative piece)
  • William's Ghost - Louis & Sally Killen (another song I learned to sing)
  • King Henry - Steeleye Span (More Meat! More Meat!)
  • The Magpie - Magpie (uh.. yeah... learned that one, too)
  • Oak and Ash and Thorn - Roberts and Barrand, I'm guessing you know that one. :-)
Those were on compilations called Magickal Tymes I & II

He also gave me a mix of cowboy songs because I had the same interest in old cowboy songs that he did. We used to have themes for one community singing group. The joke was to make any song you wanted to sing fit the theme. The theme one month was "Dangerous Songs" and I sang a song from this mix tape called "I want to be real cowboy girl" because I thought it was dangerous for me to yodel. :-)

LOTR soundtrack website

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Apr 3 2011, 11:56pm

Post #239 of 245 (993 views)
Shortcut
You are brave! [In reply to] Can't Post

But yes, they are wonderful--and scary! My only extensive experience with that age is with my own kids (hence the scary--the responsibility of everything you do affecting them one way or the other!). And yes, the questions. Those were my favorites (most of the time!). I still laugh at the unanswerable ones, although you never laugh at those when they can hear you--you just give them the best you can come up with. I still haven't figured out this one, although it seems simple (asked by my 4-year-old): "How long is it to my friend's house?" Mom: "About half an hour." "Why?" No amount of explaining the time and distances involved was satisfactory. Apparently he wanted something else, but I never figured it out, and he couldn't tell me. Maybe he'd been reading the existentialists . . .Wink

With the music, I've seen my career rise out of seemingly nothing, went well for many years, and now it's evaporating very suddenly with the economy and some injuries--but it's what I do, so I'm not stopping.Evil

What you want to do (and what you're doing now!) helps people directly and personally. I can't imagine a better choice. I'm sure there'll be a way, given time.SmileSmile

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Apr 4 2011, 12:09am

Post #240 of 245 (1000 views)
Shortcut
Those are so beautiful! [In reply to] Can't Post

I especially like the Roma woman--very poignant, and the "hope" one. Thank you!

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Apr 4 2011, 12:52am

Post #241 of 245 (974 views)
Shortcut
I know "King Henry" [In reply to] Can't Post

and of course "Oak and Ash and Thorn" (which has become a hiking song for us.) I sometimes play "King Henry" on the bowed psaltry; it works surprisingly well. What a great spooky fairy tale!

GAndyalf
Valinor

Apr 5 2011, 4:31pm

Post #242 of 245 (1019 views)
Shortcut
My Mum grew up on a farm in SE Ohio... [In reply to] Can't Post

And at age 5 she went to the chickens' area with brightly-painted toenails! Yes, RED toenails. She got traumatized for life, I'm sad to report! Tongue Poor Mommy! hehehe

"Be good, be careful, have fun, don't get arrested!"
---Marcia Michelle Alexander Hamilton, 7 Nov 1955 - 19 Nov 2009

sample

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Apr 5 2011, 5:42pm

Post #243 of 245 (971 views)
Shortcut
I learned the same thing from a pet wild turkey, but without the lasting trauma. I was much older.// [In reply to] Can't Post

NARF
NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon

GAndyalf
Valinor

Apr 5 2011, 11:43pm

Post #244 of 245 (960 views)
Shortcut
Well, that's in doubt now... [In reply to] Can't Post

My girlfriend just left here after a long weekend and dumped me right before she left. <laughs> Guess that opens up where I'm headed by a WHOLE lot! My best to you though, as I just know you're due for an AWESOME turn of luck!

sample

GAndyalf
Valinor

Apr 5 2011, 11:49pm

Post #245 of 245 (1035 views)
Shortcut
I think that you'll do better than you hope... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm annoyed that Magic 8-Ball answers "Ask again later" when I ask it WHEN your luck will turn! Cool

sample

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.