So who else has spotted them?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Apr 2 2011, 3:28am

Post #51 of 66 (1114 views)
Shortcut
Smoking gun [In reply to] Can't Post

that it is a joke: Admins and mods have avoided the announcement thread entirely, except for Hengist commenting on someone noticing our titles were changed and Ataahua getting a kick out of the reposts on other sites that AD pointed to. Actually the second one is most telling.

Speaking of title changes I just now noticed that instead of "Mae govannen, [insert user name]" it says "April Fools, [insert user name]" at the top of the index page. "Can't see the forest for the trees," as Silverlode might say.

I think you and your sister there are right about the tag being added later.

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on Apr 2 2011, 3:29am)

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 2 2011, 3:40am

Post #52 of 66 (1154 views)
Shortcut
Just a point of clarification... [In reply to] Can't Post

and since my ears are burning.....the Superusers/Admins are responsible for board-based jokes, such as the greeting and titles, but we don't create the front page ones and the PTB don't tell us about those in advance.

Nonetheless, that last line leaves me in no doubt that it was a prank. If it came from another source and the person posting it was unsure of its reality, it would have been stated earlier on. Hiding it there at the end where you'll only see it after reading the whole thing.... Evil

Silverlode

"Of all faces those of our familiares are the ones both most difficult to play fantastic tricks with, and most difficult really to see with fresh attention. They have become like the things which once attracted us by their glitter, or their colour, or their shape, and we laid hands on them, and then locked them in our hoard, acquired them, and acquiring ceased to look at them.
Creative fantasy, because it is mainly trying to do something else [make something new], may open your hoard and let all the locked things fly away like cage-birds. The gems all turn into flowers or flames, and you will be warned that all you had (or knew) was dangerous and potent, not really effectively chained, free and wild; no more yours than they were you."
-On Fairy Stories

Magpie
Immortal

Apr 2 2011, 3:50am

Post #53 of 66 (1091 views)
Shortcut
haha.. I just answered you on The Hobbit board [In reply to] Can't Post

and then came here to chat with these folks.

What I said there and will say here too is... I don't think any of us had any doubt that it was a prank. But we were all willing to concede we didn't know it. I think our interest is driven by the other sites quoting the 'news' as if it's fact. That is highly interesting to me for ways I listed in my other post.

Thanks for chiming in Silverlode.

I love April Fools here. It's about as much fun as it gets. Can't wait for next year.

LOTR soundtrack website
magpie avatar gallery ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Apr 2 2011, 4:02am

Post #54 of 66 (1101 views)
Shortcut
Ok this isn't helping lol [In reply to] Can't Post

Like the rest of us, you only suspect it is a prank but don't know that it's a prank? Shocked

I'm calling 'uncle.'

And for the record if/when it is revealed as a prank I waive the right to say "I knewwww it-ta." Because honestly, as Magpie succinctly put it, I didn't know it.Laugh

Magpie
Immortal

Apr 2 2011, 4:09am

Post #55 of 66 (1106 views)
Shortcut
well... [In reply to] Can't Post

I think one can make a distinction between knowing - in the strict sense of the word - and strongly believing - which is often colloquially called 'knowing'.

I don't know it to be a fact.

But with the research I've done on past TORn pranks, I'd bet good money on it... and I'm not a betting woman.

So I will say, "I knew it" even though I don't *know* it.

lol

LOTR soundtrack website

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 2 2011, 4:12am

Post #56 of 66 (1088 views)
Shortcut
*shrug* [In reply to] Can't Post

If nothing but a direct statement will satisfy you, all you have to do is wait until tomorrow for absolute certainty. Tongue

Silverlode

"Of all faces those of our familiares are the ones both most difficult to play fantastic tricks with, and most difficult really to see with fresh attention. They have become like the things which once attracted us by their glitter, or their colour, or their shape, and we laid hands on them, and then locked them in our hoard, acquired them, and acquiring ceased to look at them.
Creative fantasy, because it is mainly trying to do something else [make something new], may open your hoard and let all the locked things fly away like cage-birds. The gems all turn into flowers or flames, and you will be warned that all you had (or knew) was dangerous and potent, not really effectively chained, free and wild; no more yours than they were you."
-On Fairy Stories

Oiotári
Tol Eressea

Apr 2 2011, 4:13am

Post #57 of 66 (1095 views)
Shortcut
TORn's history of pranks [In reply to] Can't Post

plus the saving of the date comment until the very end leaves me with very little doubt that this was a prank. After all, would it be April Fool's day without a TORn prank? Wink

..The land of long-forgotten name:
......no man may ever anchor near;
..No steering star his hope may aim,
......for nether Night its marches drear,
..And waters wide no sail may tame,
......with shores encircled dark and sheer.

..O! Haven where my heart would be!
......the waves beat upon thy bar
..For ever echo endlessly,
......when longing leads thy thought afar

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Apr 2 2011, 4:22am

Post #58 of 66 (1108 views)
Shortcut
Did you also notice [In reply to] Can't Post

that the date and the question about the date are both in italics? Laugh

It's just not April Fools Day without a TORn prank. Cool

Bag ENZ Home of the Hobbit *with thanks to cameragod ;D*

One by one they faded, and fell into shadow...

One book to rule them all
One book to find them
One book to bring them all
And in TORn bind them
In the land of TORnadoes...where the brilliant play

~TORnado Babies 2009~ ~TORnado Babies 2010~
~10th Anniversary Thank You Cards to VIP's~ ~Laerasea's Travelling TORn Journal~

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 2 2011, 5:05am

Post #59 of 66 (1094 views)
Shortcut
Here's your confirmation, o ye of little faith. ;-P [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.theonering.net/...onan-for-the-hobbit/

Silverlode

-On Fairy Stories

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 2 2011, 5:30am

Post #60 of 66 (1069 views)
Shortcut
To be honest [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought LOTR + Stuart Townsend was an obvious prank, even without the date. (And good to see that the confirmation's up!)

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Apr 2 2011, 6:00am

Post #61 of 66 (1167 views)
Shortcut
Silly rabbit, tricks are [In reply to] Can't Post

wait, scratch that.

Again, well played. As Ata said the ST bit should have been obvious. But stranger things have happened. As far as I know, no one got my Rob Kazinsky joke earlier this week either. Maybe we are all too serious?

Magpie
Immortal

Apr 2 2011, 12:22pm

Post #62 of 66 (1135 views)
Shortcut
I think we are sometimes. [In reply to] Can't Post

The first time I did that 'Special Edition' Music Trivia (that I reposted in LOTR movie), I thought I gave glaring obvious hints that it was all in fun. I had these silly contest rules that absolved everyone from liability except Bob Shaye. I said winners would be entered into the Sisterhood/Brotherhood of the Pants and provided a picture of Boromir, Eowyn and Gollum in silly pants (and Eowyn wearing Crocs). The sounds were all outrageously weird (where normally I provided music samples) and I ended each post with "Life is Mysterious... Don't Take it Serious..." at the end of each question -- written in Comic Sans.

And still people wanted to take it as a serious game where I had set things out in a straightforward and completely fair way.

It certainly wasn't my intent to vex people who took it seriously. I thought I had given enough clues to indicate this was an entirely silly exercise.

For what it's worth...

I Knew It.

LOTR soundtrack website

willowing
Lorien

Apr 2 2011, 8:41pm

Post #63 of 66 (1112 views)
Shortcut
"Kissin Cousins"...you wouldn't happen to be in any way related to that other site [In reply to] Can't Post

The Hobbit Movie.com...thats recently come under the Planet Tolkien umbrella?

I am a regular blogger on this website, so If you are, then I am very sad that the comments board is no longer in operation and has being replaced just with the comments from Facebook and Twitter bloggers. Unsure

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 2 2011, 10:10pm

Post #64 of 66 (1328 views)
Shortcut
I'm not sure I understand the question... [In reply to] Can't Post

are you asking if TORn is affiliated with the website you mentioned? We are not. TORn is an independent fansite.

Silverlode

-On Fairy Stories

willowing
Lorien

Apr 8 2011, 12:34pm

Post #65 of 66 (1124 views)
Shortcut
Thank you you have answered my question right there...... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm sure there is no harm is using the same username for your front page and another fansite. Blush

silneldor
Half-elven

Apr 13 2011, 4:57pm

Post #66 of 66 (1214 views)
Shortcut
Ha! Chicken Run. [In reply to] Can't Post

That was a funny movie that we really enjoyed, about a half dozen timesLaugh.

''Sam put his ragged orc-cloak under his master's head, and covered them both with the grey robe of Lorien; and as he did so his thoughts went out to that fair land, and to the Elves, and he hoped that the cloth woven by their hands might have some virtue to keep them hidden beyond all hope in this wilderness of fear...But their luck held, and for the rest of that day they met no living or moving thing; and when night fell they vanished into the darkess of Mordor.'' - - -rotk, chapter III

May the grace of Manwë let us soar with eagle's wings!

In the air, among the clouds in the sky
Here is where the birds of Manwe fly
Looking at the land, and the water that flows
The true beauty of earth shows
With the stars of Varda lighting my way
In all the realms this is where I stay
In the realm of Manwë Súlimo

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.