Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Billy Boyd Wants to Visit Middle-earth Again
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

News from Bree
spymaster@theonering.net

Mar 31 2011, 8:21am

Post #1 of 26 (1815 views)
Shortcut
Billy Boyd Wants to Visit Middle-earth Again Can't Post

According to an article in the DailyRecord.co.uk today, actor Billy Boyd (Pippin) is planning a trip back to New Zealand this year to visit The Hobbit set during production. Billy, Elijah Wood (Frodo), and Dominic Monaghan (Merry) want to catch up with old friends and, for Billy and Dom, try to land even the smallest of cameos in the background. As Billy says in the article:
"Most of the guys have been back for a little trip or something but I have not managed it.

"I have been talking to Dom and Elijah and we are all going to go back this year. We will all go together, like a reunion trip. We want to go and see the sets.

"And while we're there, there must be something for us. They must need a hobbit in the background somewhere. I can even put the big feet on myself!"

The article goes on to discuss Billy's upcoming projects, music career and more. (Psst - Billy, if you feel like sharing some pics from your visit, send them along! We'd love to share your reunion experience!) [Read on]

RaoulJ
Rivendell

Mar 31 2011, 1:53pm

Post #2 of 26 (513 views)
Shortcut
And what about Sean Astin? [In reply to] Can't Post

I kinda miss the old hobbits. The fun, the laughter... Now it is only one hobbit and some (well, maybe not that much) stiff dwarves. The picture in the article reminds me of the good ol'times.

I don't like unnecessary cameos, but I wouldn't mind the old familiar feeling of the 4 hobbits together in the bright days. In my opinion the heart of LOTR was the bonding between them and the other castmembers. Although not in the movie, but the laughter&fun in the extras-documentaries gave it something more. And I wouldn't mind seeing that again; in the movie or a few pieces of film where Dom, Billy and Elijah make some fun in the extras.

Pipe Dream
Gondor

Mar 31 2011, 2:01pm

Post #3 of 26 (484 views)
Shortcut
That's what I thought. [In reply to] Can't Post

As soon as Sean finds out that he's the only one missing, he might fly down as well. Smile
If two are going to be there, (Holm/Wood) they might as well all be there.

Photobucket
<<<<There is a long road yet>>>>

(This post was edited by Pipe Dream on Mar 31 2011, 2:02pm)

Owain
Tol Eressea

Mar 31 2011, 3:18pm

Post #4 of 26 (420 views)
Shortcut
Me too, Billy Boyd. Me too!// [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile

Middle Earth is New Zealand!

"Question everything, embrace the bad, and hold on to the good."

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Mar 31 2011, 3:28pm

Post #5 of 26 (454 views)
Shortcut
This is the kind of thing [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been looking forward to. Rock bands do reunion tours, why can't film fellowships?

I suppose there was that cast reunion piece in EW last fall. But something on the ground in the middle of TH production would be that much better. The chance to "be there" might bring the rest of them (that weren't in the photo spread) out of the Elijahs.

Owain
Tol Eressea

Mar 31 2011, 3:33pm

Post #6 of 26 (458 views)
Shortcut
I'm sure the suits would be glad to have the old band... [In reply to] Can't Post

back together again for sure.

Warner Bros. marketing team would probably love the cross promotion.

My rabid fanhood would love the possibility.Laugh

Middle Earth is New Zealand!

"Question everything, embrace the bad, and hold on to the good."

Pipe Dream
Gondor

Mar 31 2011, 3:41pm

Post #7 of 26 (433 views)
Shortcut
Somebody needs to alert Sean Astin via twitter/facebook if he has an account... [In reply to] Can't Post

...to call Elijah, Billy, or Dom and book his flight to NZ. I realize there are cameo haters out there, but if they would all happen to just be there, nothing like having a nice quick background shot or two. What's wrong with just a bit of fun? It's only a film after all.

Photobucket

rings7
Rohan

Mar 31 2011, 4:19pm

Post #8 of 26 (426 views)
Shortcut
The only way i could see Billy making a cameo [In reply to] Can't Post

is maybe by putting him along with Frodo, Merry and Sam at the beginning of the movie all gathered with old Bilbo while he starts retelling his own stories and adventures and then the Hobbit begins. I don't know. Unimpressed

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Mar 31 2011, 5:12pm

Post #9 of 26 (391 views)
Shortcut
They could be in full costume as [In reply to] Can't Post

Gundabadian grunts? Certainly Sir Peter set a precedent for it in his Rocketeer get up. Plus some of those guys attend conventions in full costume without anyone ever knowing.

I always figured Viggo might have some pointers for whomever plays Bard. Bloom could coach elves. There's lots of ways the old crew could make themselves useful. Or they could just hang out as honoured guests.

Bombadil
Half-elven

Mar 31 2011, 5:32pm

Post #10 of 26 (404 views)
Shortcut
The Bond between the 3 really didn't include Sean. [In reply to] Can't Post

Sean being married with children kept him home at night and the 3 Bachelors were always doing "Bachelor Thingies" with Sean absent.
Therefore I can see that their Bond was much stronger. xoxoOldBombadil.

RosieLass
Valinor

Mar 31 2011, 6:18pm

Post #11 of 26 (371 views)
Shortcut
Or put him in makeup and make him a goblin or something. [In reply to] Can't Post

We don't need to see Pippin or Merry.

Or Frodo, for that matter. Unimpressed

It is always those with the fewest sensible things to say who make the loudest noise in saying them. --Precious Ramotswe (Alexander McCall Smith)

rings7
Rohan

Mar 31 2011, 6:45pm

Post #12 of 26 (351 views)
Shortcut
Agree. We don't need to see ANY of the LOTR characters [In reply to] Can't Post

except the ones who are in fact in the Hobbit book. But the reality is that they're already recasting Elijah and Orlando, and i'm getting this vibe that some non-Hobbit-LOTR-actors are getting somehow "nostalgic" and now want to go back to Middle Earth either for cameos or at least swap the floor on the set or something. They're probably like "hey if they're re-casting so and so who's not in the Hobbit, why not me??" kinda thing. Crazy

Crunchable Birdses
Rohan

Mar 31 2011, 7:04pm

Post #13 of 26 (357 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, I hate this slippery slope [In reply to] Can't Post

I really don't like the idea of this Frodo flashforward we seem to be getting, and to shoehorn in more of the old crew is just making it worse. These two chaps could be turned into unrecognisable dwarves at the BoFA and that would be fine, but I really don't want to see Merry and Pippin gurning and winking at us.

* crunch *

Pipe Dream
Gondor

Mar 31 2011, 8:58pm

Post #14 of 26 (321 views)
Shortcut
Well, the book has a narrator. [In reply to] Can't Post

Somebody has to do it....who better to narrate then Frodo? If Frodo is there, then other hobbits could be there too, unless they figured out a way to not have a narrator.

Photobucket

(This post was edited by Pipe Dream on Mar 31 2011, 9:00pm)

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Mar 31 2011, 9:19pm

Post #15 of 26 (289 views)
Shortcut
I'm with you on this. [In reply to] Can't Post

I am fine with Legolas for logistical reasons. I am obviously fine with Galadriel, Saruman, and any inclusions of Elves who can be reasonably argued to have been present on The White Council. But I DO have concerns about the inclusion of characters who were not born at the time of these events. I believe it has the potential of muddying the timeline and the story, and possibly of confusing less erudite members of the viewing audience.

In Reply To
We don't need to see Pippin or Merry.

Or Frodo, for that matter. Unimpressed

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

SMB_BOOKS
The Shire

Mar 31 2011, 9:41pm

Post #16 of 26 (300 views)
Shortcut
Visits to Middle Earth [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it's awesome that the cast developed such a close bond with each other and the crew that they are actively pursuing a visit to NZ, just for the fun of it. One of the things I really enjoy about the LOTR movies is the behind the scenes story that goes along with the onscreen story. I love the fact this cast and crew were so close and that the relationship continues in a positive light so many years later.

Who knows? Their visit may end up being just that, a visit. If a cameo is done, I trust PJ and his crew to do it tastefully - either it will fit with the story, OR they'll be in full make-up as some other random extra character. Just my humble opinion, of course. ;-)

KAOS82
Rohan

Mar 31 2011, 11:30pm

Post #17 of 26 (283 views)
Shortcut
yeah mate!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I think every LOTR character would love to come back to ME once again but as I said in other 3ds there's no need of it
Legolas I can understand, Frodo could be the narrator, the others can quietly stay at home!

TÚRIN TURAMBAR DAGNIR GLAURUNGA & NIENOR NÍNIEL

Maiarmike
Grey Havens

Apr 1 2011, 12:19am

Post #18 of 26 (263 views)
Shortcut
Love Billy... [In reply to] Can't Post

...obviously, Merry and Pippin will most likely not be in the film, but they still want to visit the old crew back in NZ since they got so close all those years ago. Only an article about Billy talking about wanting to visit the set or be an extra could give purists a coronary.

"I'm just a happy camper! Rockin' and a-rollin!"

Gwytha
Rohan

Apr 1 2011, 4:58am

Post #19 of 26 (266 views)
Shortcut
I feel queasy [In reply to] Can't Post

every time there is talk about bringing back more charactars from the earlier films. I agree that Frodo narrating and Legolas being involved in events he could logically be expected to be involved in could, given the incredible gifts of the writing team, be made to work, but only if the intent is to make the best possible sotry out of the film. The idea of putting LOTR film charactars in for gratuitious cameos mkes me feel ill because of the potential for wrecking the film. But I don't really think they'll do that, because in the past it seemed like virtually every decision they made on what to include or discard for the films were made for the purpose of making it work better as a story on the screen.

We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner!

Cagliostro
The Shire

Apr 1 2011, 2:20pm

Post #20 of 26 (224 views)
Shortcut
C3PO in Middle Earth? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not worried about The Hobbit trying to shoehorn in every character from LOTR, like the Star Wars prequels did. I think Billy is just saying he'd love to be part of the new thing. Hell, I'd love to see a cameo if it made sense. But then again, I'd just like to see more Billy Boyd in general, especially if him and Dom ever get some comedy project off the ground together. Hell, I want to become a famous director simply so I could start up a vanity project with Billy and Dom starring in it.

Ruijor
Rohan

Apr 1 2011, 6:22pm

Post #21 of 26 (194 views)
Shortcut
I don´t see a problem here [In reply to] Can't Post

Just put him in Hobbiton well disguised as an older hobbit for a brief moment and he will be happy and so are we! Tongue

Gwytha
Rohan

Apr 1 2011, 7:56pm

Post #22 of 26 (200 views)
Shortcut
"The Adventures of Merry and Pippin"? [In reply to] Can't Post

We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner!

Gwytha
Rohan

Apr 1 2011, 8:01pm

Post #23 of 26 (195 views)
Shortcut
Seriously, I would love to see more of Billy and Dom [In reply to] Can't Post

in whatever project they might be up for. They, along with Andy Serkis, were hysterically funny in the actors' DVD commentaries. Why not all three of those guys in something? They could just ad lib and produce something funnier than most comedies I can think of.

Flagg
Tol Eressea

Apr 2 2011, 2:42pm

Post #24 of 26 (181 views)
Shortcut
That's actually a fine idea. [In reply to] Can't Post

I believe they retired to Gondor late in their lives. Perhaps they could get involved in some shenanigans there. Warner Bros have the rights to produce further films based on Tolkien's works, and The Adventures of Merry and Pippin is not a bad idea as far as spin-offs go.

Cagliostro
The Shire

Apr 2 2011, 3:21pm

Post #25 of 26 (167 views)
Shortcut
naughty hobbitses [In reply to] Can't Post

Nah...no Merry and Pippin adventures. I'd want it to be raunchier than what that would likely be.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.