Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Gaming & Collecting:
TSoT still hanging in there...
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Legalize_Athelas
Lorien

Mar 29 2011, 1:41am

Post #1 of 32 (743 views)
Shortcut
TSoT still hanging in there... Can't Post

...with a few of our fellow message board posters. I'll throw two quick updates out here (and fellow kinnies, feel free to update us on what's been going on with your toons) to keep anyone who's interested up-to-date on the happenings of The Sibs of TORn:

First, we've been saving up to buy an in-game Kinship House! Besides just looking good, a kinship house provides additional storage and offers discounts at the neighborhood vendors. It's also a place to show off any various trophies we may have collected throughout the game. Rumor has it there's a moose bust available from the local taxidermist in Bree, and it comes with a pipe in its mouth. Very cool. We'll be sure to post pictures once all the papers are signed with the title company!

Second, you've all seen the front page updates on the latest LOTRO update. I'd like to offer a screenshot of mine that's a little less hack-and-slash and a little more Tolkien-ish: I give you Isildur and the Stone of Erech!

The book-related quests are my favorite part of playing LOTRO. I certainly have more pics available, if anyone would like to see them. Or better yet, sign up (for free!) and start playing with TSoT!

Got Necroquestions? I'll give you Necromanswers.

Play LOTRO with us!

RosieLass
Valinor

Mar 29 2011, 5:35am

Post #2 of 32 (368 views)
Shortcut
Isildur?!? [In reply to] Can't Post

When does he turn up?

It is always those with the fewest sensible things to say who make the loudest noise in saying them. --Precious Ramotswe (Alexander McCall Smith)

Legalize_Athelas
Lorien

Mar 29 2011, 1:42pm

Post #3 of 32 (338 views)
Shortcut
Volume III. [In reply to] Can't Post

You could never take your dwarf or hobbit down to Gondor to shake his hand for obvious reasons, but he's rather introduced to us via Session Play.

At the risk of giving too much away (LOTRO spoilers?), I find the Session Play instances in Volume III of the epic quests fascinating. I'm only a casual fan (heck, I've only read The Sil twice!) and it's great to have history fleshed out in front of you, with you taking a part in the action. So far V3 has been all about the Dúnedain Rangers of the North and their history, ranging from Arvedui in the ice bay of Forochel to Aragorn's "chance" meeting of a familiar old wizard upon the road. We all know Halbarad and his buddies journey with Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli upon the Paths of the Dead, and, well... see Erech, Stone of.

Play LOTRO with us!

RosieLass
Valinor

Mar 29 2011, 4:53pm

Post #4 of 32 (338 views)
Shortcut
Hm, I haven't gotten that far yet. [In reply to] Can't Post

I have sort of been avoiding my high level characters, because I'm afraid of getting roped into trying the new raids. Raiding is okay once in a while, but not every stinking day. Unimpressed

So I haven't done any of the new epic quests yet.

I also need to get in there and (finally!) finish the Moria epics, now that they're solo-able.

I have done some of the revamped Evendim and the new Oatbarton quests on a couple lowbie characters. They're attempting to smooth out the low- to mid-30s, which is where I always got bogged down and stalled. So there's lots of new stuff to do.

It is always those with the fewest sensible things to say who make the loudest noise in saying them. --Precious Ramotswe (Alexander McCall Smith)

acheron
Gondor

Mar 29 2011, 7:05pm

Post #5 of 32 (319 views)
Shortcut
I still need to do the Eriador ones! [In reply to] Can't Post

Though apparently the thing to do is go to Moria around level 45ish to do the first book of V2 so you can start using legendary items? So maybe do that then back to the SoA.books.

For instance, on the planet Earth, man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much -- the wheel, New York, wars, and so on -- while all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man, for precisely the same reasons. -- Douglas Adams

Legalize_Athelas
Lorien

Mar 29 2011, 7:55pm

Post #6 of 32 (312 views)
Shortcut
I agree with that plan, [In reply to] Can't Post

but take my word with a grain of salt. I lost all sense of linear timing somewhere between skipping the middle of V2 and re-running the later V1 books on my alts.

That being said, kicking off V2 to get your Legendary Items shouldn't ruin your experience at all. The benefits of LIs far outweigh any mental time travel you may have to do, IMO.

Play LOTRO with us!

RosieLass
Valinor

Mar 29 2011, 9:00pm

Post #7 of 32 (364 views)
Shortcut
To get your LI... [In reply to] Can't Post

...all you do is the Introduction to Volume II, Book 1, and it doesn't spoil Volume I or anything that you didn't already know happened from the book.

Then you can go back and catch up on the stuff you "skipped" while you're leveling your LI.

I have been trying to do all of Volume I on all of my toons on Brandywine, because I like the rewards (especially the horsie!) but the story line is ludicrous (IMO) and all the backing and forthing in the last three or four books is extremly t-e-d-i-o-u-s. So for my 3rd, 4th, 5th, etc. toons, I've been waiting until I am way over level, so I can just zoom through without having to fight through everything to get where I need to be.

Acheron and I have been doing the epic together on Landroval, and that's much more fun. I mean, I know the idea was to make it soloable, but that doesn't make it any more interesting. So grouping is still the way to go.

Donry
Tol Eressea

Mar 30 2011, 12:17am

Post #8 of 32 (301 views)
Shortcut
I still haven't [In reply to] Can't Post

done any raiding.....and have done minimal group work.....normally has to do with the time I'm online....I'd rather do them all solo at a higher level than play with some of the folks wandering around at that time of night...maybe they all feel the same way!!!!

Anyway, I'm a ways behind all you folks, but have been trying to level my lower toons up. And with the new update I dove into the crafting! Some of my characters were at a standstill with high level crafting quests. My toons just weren't able to complete them because the level was too high. However, with the new update, Turbine got rid of the higher level crafting quests, which allowed me to level up a couple of toons right away. Which was nice to do for a change....

As far as the kin house goes, I took my highest level toon and tried to sell about 700 bushels of Winter Barley at the Auction House. That crop used to be really, really popular, meaning lots of money, money, money. But it appears to have cooled off some, as I still made some silver, but not nearly as much as I had wanted. I had been hoping to send a bunch of money over to Legalize to help out with the Kin house purchase, but it didn't go as well as I had hoped....I'll have to try something else and soon.

What's the matter, James? No glib remark? No pithy comeback?"

Legalize_Athelas
Lorien

Mar 30 2011, 2:24am

Post #9 of 32 (318 views)
Shortcut
Nuestra Casa [In reply to] Can't Post

Take a look:

Play LOTRO with us!

RosieLass
Valinor

Mar 30 2011, 2:58am

Post #10 of 32 (330 views)
Shortcut
Yay! [In reply to] Can't Post

Which Bree neighborhood is it in?

Although I guess I'll be able to tell when I log in and it gives me the travel home skill! Heart

Donry
Tol Eressea

Mar 30 2011, 4:23pm

Post #11 of 32 (287 views)
Shortcut
Nice! [In reply to] Can't Post

I guess I know where I'm going next time I log in.........do I have time now...hmm.....

RosieLass
Valinor

Mar 30 2011, 4:54pm

Post #12 of 32 (300 views)
Shortcut
Auction House [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it's probably still pretty popular. Cooks still need it for higher level recipes. Maybe you just hit a bad stretch when people weren't buying.

I've discovered that it really depends on when you sell stuff. I get better results auctioning stuff on the weekends than during the week. Also, I find stuff sells better when I break it down into smaller stacks, of 20 items or so, rather than attempting to sell stacks of 100 items.

RosieLass
Valinor

Mar 30 2011, 4:57pm

Post #13 of 32 (284 views)
Shortcut
I dropped in last night on my Champ. [In reply to] Can't Post

Checked everything out, looked at all the decor, turned on all the lights. Cool

I see we have only one storage chest so far. Do we need to take up another collection at some point to get the other two?

Donry
Tol Eressea

Mar 30 2011, 5:07pm

Post #14 of 32 (290 views)
Shortcut
Definitely... [In reply to] Can't Post

depends on timing. I just logged on to view my last batch of auctions, and the payout was substanially higher than the previous few batches. I've heard the weekends are a better market also. I have tried not to flood the market, which would hurt my own auctions I would think, so we'll see. I will be adjusting the size of my auctions in the future, to see if I can hit that magic number that is most desirable to the market place. I'm done selling everything I had farmed now though. In the end I would have to spend a ton of time on this to make some substantial money. And I don't have the patience! Especially when there is so much to see and do! Thanks for the advice Rosie!

Donry
Tol Eressea

Mar 30 2011, 5:11pm

Post #15 of 32 (415 views)
Shortcut
I just logged in.... [In reply to] Can't Post

with my main to go see the place. Wow. Nice plot of land there! Cool! And I wandered around a bit inside, took it all in....great place! Well done and congrats to all who helped! I dropped off some sausages! I will have to get back to my other place in the Shire to see what I have in storage there, I think I have a bunch of pipeweed I can bring over. I don't remember how to edit homesteads though? Lil help?
The place looks great....we'll have to get together for a small gathering in there sometime soon! A moot I guess is the proper Tolkien term!

13thHour
Rivendell

Apr 2 2011, 2:23pm

Post #16 of 32 (368 views)
Shortcut
Looks great! [In reply to] Can't Post

Logged on yesterday to check it out! I have a couple trophies to put up, if no one minds. I have one that is a black bear wearing a hat, that is an Inn League rep item. I'm working on the moose with pipe! I was gonna get it yesterday, but now there is more to getting one than there used to be (not only do you hafta have kindred status with the Inn League, but now you have to save up tokens). I'll get it though, do not fret.

I haven't been very active lately. I was too busy during Mardi Gras to play, but then I just kinda got outta the habit of playing every day. Anyway, I'll see you all soon!

The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was is lost, for none now live who remember it.

13thHour
Rivendell

Apr 3 2011, 9:27pm

Post #17 of 32 (321 views)
Shortcut
Delivered! [In reply to] Can't Post

So, today I put a few trophies in our house. The moose with pipe trophy is on the wall, immediately when you go in the front door. The black bear with hat is on the floor next to him. I think both of these trophies are bound to me, so if anyone wants me to move them, I will.
I also put a barghest trophy in one of the rooms. It looks like a cross between a greyhound and a hyena, lol.

The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was is lost, for none now live who remember it.

13thHour
Rivendell

Apr 5 2011, 3:14pm

Post #18 of 32 (265 views)
Shortcut
Keg delivered! [In reply to] Can't Post

Today I dropped some stuff off at the house. I put a keg in the sitting room, next to the fireplace and on top of bearskin rug. I also crafted a bookshelf for us, which you will see on the left as soon as you come in the front door. And I put a sack of decent pipeweed in the chest in the main room ("Wizard's Fire" I think). I also mailed Legal Eagle a bit of dough to help with the expenses of the house. It's looking good in there!

Legalize_Athelas
Lorien

Apr 5 2011, 5:33pm

Post #19 of 32 (243 views)
Shortcut
The storage chests are all good to go. [In reply to] Can't Post

I bought the third chest a few days ago (I'd been working the ore deposits straight-up 7 Dwarfs style) so we should have plenty of space to keep our trinkets.

Thank you to whoever picked up chest #2!!!

All three are open to the entire kinship for whatever. I'll put extra crafting items there as I collect them, as well as any tedious "Level 45" quest items that drop.

Play LOTRO with us!

Legalize_Athelas
Lorien

Apr 5 2011, 5:37pm

Post #20 of 32 (230 views)
Shortcut
<3 Sausages <3 [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks man. When you enter the housing area there should be a really little bouquet of flowers on the edge of your mini-map. When you click that, and click a blinking decoration item or empty hook, you can drag-and-drop and matching decoration you have in your bags to "hang it up."

Moot sounds good to me... our next goal is to get 4+ members online at the same time Evil

Play LOTRO with us!

Legalize_Athelas
Lorien

Apr 5 2011, 5:43pm

Post #21 of 32 (454 views)
Shortcut
Very cool Lob, thank you!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I saw the moose a couple days ago and actually made my lil hobbit "LOL" on the entryway floor. (That no one was around to see/hear it is a testament to my infatuation with LOTRO, but that's a whole 'nother story...)

I think I'd like to order one for my RL cabin, please.

Play LOTRO with us!

Donry
Tol Eressea

Apr 7 2011, 11:57pm

Post #22 of 32 (248 views)
Shortcut
Glad to help! [In reply to] Can't Post

I picked up a storage chest and one week's maintenance last week......figured it was the best way to help at the time! I have to drop off some pipeweed soon! And start making some ale!

acheron
Gondor

Apr 10 2011, 4:27am

Post #23 of 32 (298 views)
Shortcut
added a couple more kegs [In reply to] Can't Post

So we have three total now. One of them is full of hobbit brandy -- it is pretty strong stuff, I drank some to test it out, and woke up without my pants having apparently fallen off the Trestlebridge.

For instance, on the planet Earth, man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much -- the wheel, New York, wars, and so on -- while all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man, for precisely the same reasons. -- Douglas Adams

RosieLass
Valinor

Apr 11 2011, 6:55am

Post #24 of 32 (234 views)
Shortcut
Waitaminnit! [In reply to] Can't Post

Is this a kin house? Or a frat house? Sly

Donry
Tol Eressea

Apr 11 2011, 9:28pm

Post #25 of 32 (311 views)
Shortcut
Ummm... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not sure! But a hobbit can never have to much ale around! Or a Dwarf I suppose.....

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.