The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
"Howard had his first extensive Hobbit conference with PJ last night."
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Magpie
Immortal

Mar 27 2011, 8:39pm

Post #1 of 34 (4868 views)
Shortcut
"Howard had his first extensive Hobbit conference with PJ last night." Can't Post

http://www.musicoflotr.com/...ml#comment-172751093

Doug Adams:

Howard had his first extensive Hobbit conference with PJ last night. Incredibly exciting to see that ball beginning to roll...

LOTR soundtrack website
magpie avatar gallery ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Mar 27 2011, 8:43pm

Post #2 of 34 (2467 views)
Shortcut
I can't wait to hear the first notes of his score in a dark theater on opening night [In reply to] Can't Post

Just the thought of that opening music is enough to get me excited for these movies.

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive

Garfeimao
Rohan

Mar 27 2011, 8:50pm

Post #3 of 34 (2438 views)
Shortcut
Squeeee [In reply to] Can't Post

This is very exciting indeed. And so early in the process, he must be giving him the heads up on what existing themes will be present, and what new themes might be needed.

I can't wait to hear Dragon themes, holy quacamole that's an exciting thought.

Peace, Love and Rock & Roll,

Garfeimao
The orange stripey One

Cruise to Middle-earth

macfalk
Valinor

Mar 27 2011, 9:05pm

Post #4 of 34 (2457 views)
Shortcut
It is indeed. Question for magpie: [In reply to] Can't Post

Do you know if the LOTR score was leaked in advance before the movies came out? Perhaps there is a chance that The Hobbit score will leak on the net, too.

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

Gimli'sBox
Gondor

Mar 27 2011, 9:12pm

Post #5 of 34 (2374 views)
Shortcut
I'm dying to know what the score [In reply to] Can't Post

Turns out like. Who knew one could be on the edge of their seat to hear a movie soundtrack?Cool

Some who have read the book, or at any rate have reviewed it, have found it boring, absurd, or contemptible; and I have no cause to complain, since I have similar opinions of their works, or of the kinds of writing the evidently prefer.

"A common and boring artifact, unlike myself." -Solembum

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 27 2011, 9:15pm

Post #6 of 34 (2422 views)
Shortcut
I'm not Magpie, but.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't remember hearing any of the music before the release of the film. The trailers had other music. The 20-minute promo reel that was shown a few places may have been the first place any of the music was heard.

Silverlode

"Of all faces those of our familiares are the ones both most difficult to play fantastic tricks with, and most difficult really to see with fresh attention. They have become like the things which once attracted us by their glitter, or their colour, or their shape, and we laid hands on them, and then locked them in our hoard, acquired them, and acquiring ceased to look at them.
Creative fantasy, because it is mainly trying to do something else [make something new], may open your hoard and let all the locked things fly away like cage-birds. The gems all turn into flowers or flames, and you will be warned that all you had (or knew) was dangerous and potent, not really effectively chained, free and wild; no more yours than they were you."
-On Fairy Stories

Jim
Rivendell

Mar 27 2011, 9:20pm

Post #7 of 34 (2412 views)
Shortcut
Don't forget... [In reply to] Can't Post

We got a taste of what could possibly be the main theme for The Hobbit in the Fellowship of the Ring when Bilbo is looking over his map of Northern Mirkwood and the Lonely Mountain.

macfalk
Valinor

Mar 27 2011, 9:22pm

Post #8 of 34 (2427 views)
Shortcut
Lonely Mountain Map Music [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah, I'm sure that might be used but it doesn't exactly yell "main theme!" to me. Not that LOTR had a "main theme", either, like other blockbusters.

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Mar 27 2011, 9:25pm

Post #9 of 34 (2406 views)
Shortcut
A lot of times the soundtrack comes out before the movie, actually. [In reply to] Can't Post

Personally, i hate listening to the music beforehand, it kinda spoils the movie somewhat, so... i don't do that. Smile

(This post was edited by Estel78 on Mar 27 2011, 9:29pm)

Jim
Rivendell

Mar 27 2011, 9:26pm

Post #10 of 34 (2362 views)
Shortcut
True... [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe it will be the Lonely Mountain Theme Tongue

Maiarmike
Grey Havens

Mar 27 2011, 9:27pm

Post #11 of 34 (2368 views)
Shortcut
Very exciting! [In reply to] Can't Post

Howard's genius score was what made the LotR films so special, or at least gave it that extra punch. Can't wait to hear what he's got in store for us with The Hobbit.

"I'm just a happy camper! Rockin' and a-rollin!"

Hamfast
Rohan

Mar 27 2011, 9:49pm

Post #12 of 34 (2374 views)
Shortcut
I am giddy. [In reply to] Can't Post

I am aching to hear just as much see what Howard and PJ come up with for The Hobbit. Good news indeed !

(This post was edited by Hamfast on Mar 27 2011, 9:50pm)

Owain
Tol Eressea

Mar 27 2011, 10:08pm

Post #13 of 34 (2306 views)
Shortcut
Very exciting news, for sure!// [In reply to] Can't Post

SmileSmileSmile

Middle Earth is New Zealand!

"Question everything, embrace the bad, and hold on to the good."

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Mar 27 2011, 10:37pm

Post #14 of 34 (2298 views)
Shortcut
Hooray! [In reply to] Can't Post

Two new scores set in Middle-earth from Howard Shore? That's as exciting as anything we're getting from these films! Can't wait...I still remember the joy of heading into the original soundtrack and hearing "Concerning Hobbits" as if it were yesterday...

I would rather be watching Peter Jackson's "The Hobbit" and Ridley Scott's "Prometheus"...it's going to be a long few years.

FaerieHammer
The Shire

Mar 28 2011, 1:43am

Post #15 of 34 (2246 views)
Shortcut
Can't wait [In reply to] Can't Post

The music was something that I especially loved about all the LOTR films, and I'm excited to hear compositions just as thrilling, moving, and deep.

“All that is gold does not glitter. Not all those who wander are lost. Deep roots are not reached by the frost.”

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Mar 28 2011, 4:04am

Post #16 of 34 (2248 views)
Shortcut
An then there's this... [In reply to] Can't Post

I really hope this is used in the Hobbit in some way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJQmsKgqF0A

(This post was edited by Mooseboy018 on Mar 28 2011, 4:04am)

lurtz2010
Rohan

Mar 28 2011, 4:06am

Post #17 of 34 (2244 views)
Shortcut
Dol Guldur and White Council music [In reply to] Can't Post

Can't wait for that

Magpie
Immortal

Mar 28 2011, 4:07am

Post #18 of 34 (2284 views)
Shortcut
It depends on what you mean by leaked [In reply to] Can't Post

If you mean an illegal, bootleg copy making it out before the movie (or any official release of music), I haven't heard of any such thing happening. I couldn't support any illicit leaking of The Hobbit score in any manner. I've been one of the voices arguing against similar situations on other forums (when early copies of Complete Recordings were being passed around illegally in open discussion) and Doug's web handlers knock any such discussion of illegal files sharing off his blog fast enough to make your head spin. I suspect similar reaction could be anticipated on these forums, as well.

If you mean was there some official outlet for hearing the music before the movies were released... then Silverlode's right. None of the trailers used Shore's score music. The only thing I could think of that might qualify would be Cannes 2001. The FOTR preview at Cannes used Shore's score so people who saw the Cannes footage would have heard the music.

You can read Calisuri's report here
. Find more reports here.

The standard, jewel-case OST was released on November 20, 2001, which is of course, about a month before the film came out. That is about standard for many soundtracks releases.

I did not buy the FOTR soundtrack till sometime in January of 2002. So all that I report happening prior to that is research done after the fact. It's possible Kristin has some info I'm not aware of.

in regards to another comment in this subthread:
I actually find I like getting the soundtrack in advance of the movie. The music, once it gets ingrained in my brain, works more effectively in supporting the movie so I respond more deeply to the movie the first time through. I don't feel it spoils anything for me. I have yet to figure out much from the music in regards to the action on screen. But maybe that's due to a lack of imagination on my part.

LOTR soundtrack website
magpie avatar gallery ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

peleowyn
Rivendell

Mar 28 2011, 4:23am

Post #19 of 34 (2247 views)
Shortcut
What wonderful news! [In reply to] Can't Post

... even after so many years the LOTR music still moves my heart on a daily basis ... it is so exciting to think that HS and PJ are preparing more treasures for us all! I will definitely look forward to hearing the music before seeing the films, and it will be fun to listen and imagine the visual images that the music is reflecting ... it seems Howard's music is able to flesh out a "world" even without any visuals!

"Look! There is light, and beauty up there, that no Shadow can touch!"

lurtz2010
Rohan

Mar 28 2011, 4:26am

Post #20 of 34 (2198 views)
Shortcut
Wouldn't that spoil it abit? [In reply to] Can't Post

It is only music but still.. wouldn't you want to hear it first when watching the movie the first time?

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Mar 28 2011, 4:28am

Post #21 of 34 (2207 views)
Shortcut
How about Glorfindel's theme?// [In reply to] Can't Post

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

Photobucket

lurtz2010
Rohan

Mar 28 2011, 4:32am

Post #22 of 34 (2227 views)
Shortcut
I would come up with a witty response to that [In reply to] Can't Post

but no.

(This post was edited by Altaira on Mar 28 2011, 4:41am)

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Mar 28 2011, 4:35am

Post #23 of 34 (2236 views)
Shortcut
That is OK. I probably should not have brought it up. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

Photobucket

FaerieHammer
The Shire

Mar 28 2011, 4:47am

Post #24 of 34 (2215 views)
Shortcut
It'll be the best part of the score. [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink

“All that is gold does not glitter. Not all those who wander are lost. Deep roots are not reached by the frost. Renewed be the blade that was broken. The crownless again shall be king.”

Ruijor
Rohan

Mar 28 2011, 5:19am

Post #25 of 34 (2212 views)
Shortcut
If I listened to the entire soundtrack prior to film... [In reply to] Can't Post

... I would clearly identify the plotline so I rather not think on that possibility. Lord Of The Rings score was truly well designed in such manner that we could easily relate the music with a specific moment or character along the story.

Eitherway great news to see Howard on board in such early stage.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.