Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
"Pete is adding a lot of characters in the film adaption"...
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

News from Bree
spymaster@theonering.net

Mar 26 2011, 6:50am

Post #1 of 149 (6554 views)
Shortcut
"Pete is adding a lot of characters in the film adaption"... Can't Post

The LA Times '24 Frames' blog has an interview with rumored Hobbit participant, Saiorse Ronan, which reveals a significant statement about PJ's adaptation of The Hobbit to film. Among other highlights in the article is the following statement from Ms. Ronan:
"Pete is adding a lot of characters in the film adaption," she said. "Hopefully they have a part for me."

This lines up with long standing rumors that a character named 'Itaril' has been added to the movie and Ms. Ronan is queued up for the role.

Itaril is described in unofficial casting call sheets as: female, A woodland Elf, this character is one the Silvan Elves. The Silvan Elves are seen as more earthy and practical. Shorter than other elves, she is still quick and lithe and physically adept, being able to fight with both sword and bow. Showing promise as a fighter at a young age, ITARIL was chosen to train to become part of the Woodland King's Guard. This is the only life she has ever expected to live, until she meets and secretly falls in love with a young ELF LORD. This role will require a wig and contact lenses to be worn. Some prosthetic make-up may also be required. LEAD. AGE: 17-27.

Time will tell, but odds are we'll be seeing Saiorse Ronan in this role for The Hobbit. Saiorse also mentioned that The Hobbit will be 'a little bit lighter than 'Lord of the Rings'.' Read the full interview at the LA Times [Read on]

Bound
Rohan

Mar 26 2011, 1:36pm

Post #2 of 149 (4224 views)
Shortcut
I'm guessing.. [In reply to] Can't Post

that peter isn't adding lots of main characters but rather fleshing out rolls. Like instead of nameless elves in mirkwood or in rivendale they will be characters with names etc etc.

Also the same would go for Hobbiton and Dale.

Plus i'm guessing Soairse hasn't seen the script so she might just be talking in general terms.

the man in black fled across the desert and the gunslinger followed

moreorless
Gondor

Mar 26 2011, 1:56pm

Post #3 of 149 (4224 views)
Shortcut
Someone for Bilbo to interact with? [In reply to] Can't Post

I always had a feeling that Jackson might look to have Bilbo interact with someone during the Dwaves imprisonment, an elf that disagrees with the imprisonment and provides some degree of help to the escape.

I can see all the arguements agenst it("it takes away from Bilbo's actions", "why would and elf go agenst orders?") but having a character totally isolated in that fashion is very hard to deal with cinematically. It also seems like it would be a way of getting the elves somewhat closer to LOTR, having at least one of them "on side" for the first film.

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Mar 26 2011, 2:12pm

Post #4 of 149 (4110 views)
Shortcut
I share your thoughts. [In reply to] Can't Post

The Hobbit as a book shares one major thing with most fairy tales. It focuses entirely upon the central characters, not even giving names to peripheral characters let alone any kind of background. Peter will have to hang flesh on those bones. Also as far as translation to live action film is concerned, the Dwarves captivity in the Woodland Realm is devoid of any interesting action. Something will need to be changed there. I am certain that the escape from the Woodland Realm will be intense and exciting.

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Flagg
Tol Eressea

Mar 26 2011, 2:30pm

Post #5 of 149 (4032 views)
Shortcut
I look forward to seeing the new characters. [In reply to] Can't Post

Complaining about them will achieve nothing, so we might as well climb aboard and see what the writers have cooked up for us. All hands on deck...

tolkiennerd
Lorien

Mar 26 2011, 2:46pm

Post #6 of 149 (4022 views)
Shortcut
maybe like LOTR [In reply to] Can't Post

I think they could add a few new characters in like in LOTR (Lurtz Gothmog Madril) but no one that will alter the story too much. (Itaril marrying Bard)

Symbelmine
Rohan

Mar 26 2011, 2:50pm

Post #7 of 149 (4020 views)
Shortcut
Itaril marrying Bard? [In reply to] Can't Post

I think that's not need to worry about this.It's more likely she will marry Legolas:((((
Sorry everyone but I had to again.

farmer maggot
Rivendell

Mar 26 2011, 3:06pm

Post #8 of 149 (4073 views)
Shortcut
Agreed 100% - The Hobbit adaptation will need that 'fleshing out' [In reply to] Can't Post

LOTR as written is incredibly rich in detail, context and atmosphere - the adaptation challenge was to contain it. The Hobbit, initially aimed at children, is still rich in narrative, ideas and action (overall) but otherwise is really sparse. THe writers and designers have to fill in the background to the story fully, places and characters, or it will be a pale and weak offering compared to the might trilogy. The 'purists' (whatever that may be) may fret about how it is done but there really is no choice.

Auraran
Lorien

Mar 26 2011, 3:09pm

Post #9 of 149 (4020 views)
Shortcut
That's an interesting thought [In reply to] Can't Post

I would be against it normally, unless it dovetails with what Bilbo himself actually does -- and only helps him do it. For example, instead of leaving it to pure "chance" that he finds out about the autumn feast that night in the palace, an inside Elf tells him about this. And perhaps that insider also suggests the escape through the water gate inside barrels, and make sure that the chief jailer and cook drink the most potent wine.

Wouldn't it be funny if that Elf was Legolas?

farmer maggot
Rivendell

Mar 26 2011, 3:15pm

Post #10 of 149 (3984 views)
Shortcut
I wouldn't worry too much about this [In reply to] Can't Post

I would be very surprised if the additions and extras the writers (including GDT) have added were not aimed entirely at supporting the main story lines, Bilbo's quest and the White Council developments. I think distractions like Elven weddings, in any format, are unlikely as they add nothing to the real story.

Symbelmine
Rohan

Mar 26 2011, 3:21pm

Post #11 of 149 (3916 views)
Shortcut
you are right [In reply to] Can't Post

elven wedding is unlikely but romance doesn't sound so unlikely to me:(((

sphdle1
Gondor

Mar 26 2011, 3:25pm

Post #12 of 149 (3941 views)
Shortcut
I think she'd make a good elf [In reply to] Can't Post

will be interesting to watch the movie as PJ & co. have written characters in, and then later seeing which ones they added that were not in the books, and then to see what readers reactions/thoughts will be on these characters (good or bad).

sphdle1

"You shall not pass!"

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Mar 26 2011, 3:31pm

Post #13 of 149 (4018 views)
Shortcut
"why would and elf go agenst orders?" [In reply to] Can't Post

Because she falls for one of the Dwarfs (Thorin? Kili?).

Casting an eye further down the thread, her pairing with Bard seems a distinct possibility. The same people who turned Aragorn's ascension into a bid to save Arwen might have Bard save Itaril from a dragon. The Smaug arc is going to be compared to Dragonslayer anyway...

Angelic

Sunflower
Valinor

Mar 26 2011, 4:04pm

Post #14 of 149 (3967 views)
Shortcut
We'll just have to wait and see [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm guessing, at the least, they'll HAVE to flesh out Bard. I'd love to see a background story/family or some such with him. The one environment I can't wait to see is Lake-town...its people and situation...which we'll prob see more of in the 2nd film. As for being light-hearted...well, of course it will start out that way. The first film will prob be a shock to those in the Industry/film-only audience who are expecting more of the "high, elvated" tone of LOTR. But I imagine the closer we get to the Mounbtain/Smaug, and in the 2nd film, it'll have more f the look/tone/feel of LOTR. Which is as it should be.

One thing though...we just don't know. What if there is more real addition of characters in Film 2. What if one of these characters was more Guilermo's idea than Petes, but Peter as director gets all the credit for Guillermo's ideas/.//its HIS baby now and the medai will only see it in those termsa. Guillermo being the good sport he is, will see the film like everyone else and be happy for Peter and the films' success...but don't you think that after years of this, it may start to bug him in an artistic sense if Peter continues to get all the credit/the legacy for something HE largely invented, esp if that addition is a monster or creature?

What if, if this had been LOTR, Lurtz or the village woman with the 2 kids had been Guillermo's invention, or if Guillermo had desgned the look of the Balrog, and then Peter took over, and got all the credit and the money from that character? Who sold a LOT of action figures.

Gentleman or no, I don't care how gracious a person is, this is where things go squirrelly... that would have to be a personal blow...

That is why, to possibly avoid such issues, sad to say, very little or possibly none of Guillermo's origional characters, concepts or desgins will srvive. Esp with Peter's writing process. When a direcgtor take sover, they make the world totally their own. Very sad.

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Mar 26 2011, 4:28pm

Post #15 of 149 (3898 views)
Shortcut
That would be a hard turn [In reply to] Can't Post

into another universe...Dogs and cats living together...and Dragonslayer was pretty much a straight telling of the ancient Dragon European tales. Tolkien's version of the Dragon tale is different in any number of ways, and I would hope PJ keeps it that way.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Mar 26 2011, 4:30pm

Post #16 of 149 (3930 views)
Shortcut
I am sure G can cope. [In reply to] Can't Post

He has a long and illustrious career ahead of him.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Mar 26 2011, 4:32pm

Post #17 of 149 (3905 views)
Shortcut
Legolas was single... [In reply to] Can't Post

unless you count his companionship with Gimli.Evil

Photobucket

Photobucket

Flagg
Tol Eressea

Mar 26 2011, 4:37pm

Post #18 of 149 (3914 views)
Shortcut
Is this speculation? [In reply to] Can't Post

That is why, to possibly avoid such issues, sad to say, very little or possibly none of Guillermo's origional characters, concepts or desgins will srvive. Esp with Peter's writing process. When a direcgtor take sover, they make the world totally their own. Very sad.

Is this just a hunch, or do you have any evidence or precedents for this conclusion? I should hope that Guillermo will be at least co-credited for the films' artistic direction, as John Howe and Alan Lee were on the trilogy – that should take care of any confusion over who contributed what. No one but the most ignorant of audiences would automatically attribute a film's artwork to its director (unless he was also specifically credited as an art director or something similar).

Symbelmine
Rohan

Mar 26 2011, 4:38pm

Post #19 of 149 (3939 views)
Shortcut
Legolas and Gimli [In reply to] Can't Post

I see his companionship with Gimli as huge friendship but I don't know what to think about his making woo woo eyes on Aragorn in the movieEvilJust kidding...

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Mar 26 2011, 4:47pm

Post #20 of 149 (3875 views)
Shortcut
Aragorn all ready had his Elf waitin' for him to come back from the war.// [In reply to] Can't Post

Photobucket

Photobucket

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Mar 26 2011, 5:03pm

Post #21 of 149 (3904 views)
Shortcut
Let the worrying begin! [In reply to] Can't Post

Let me just paraphrase Philipa's comment from the DVD interviews:

"The fans try to be the guardians of the source material, but they're not, it's bigger than any one person or group of people..."

Or something like that. The point is, let's not get into the "PJ isn't a purist" debate again. TongueTongue Remember, he didn't too shabbily the first time around...

BTW, given that Itaril is from Mirkwood and Saorise Ronan looks like Orlando, I'd bet there's more a chance of Itaril being Legolas' younger sister rather than the two having any kind of romance, (unless it's incestuous like most of Middle-earth)! Cool

If "Young Elf Lord" shows up in the script, I'd guess it'll be Elladan or Elrohir, and the son of Elrond and daughter of Thranduil will end up "hooking up" before one or both are squashed like a bug at the BoFA.

I would rather be watching Peter Jackson's "The Hobbit" and Ridley Scott's "Prometheus"...it's going to be a long few years.

(This post was edited by Captain Salt on Mar 26 2011, 5:10pm)

rings7
Rohan

Mar 26 2011, 5:10pm

Post #22 of 149 (3885 views)
Shortcut
Unlike the Hobbit I didn't read the trilogy, so [In reply to] Can't Post

did Peter do the same to the LOTR movies? did he add many characters besides Arwen?

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Mar 26 2011, 5:14pm

Post #23 of 149 (3879 views)
Shortcut
He didn't "add" Arwen... [In reply to] Can't Post

he put her story from the appendices into the story proper...he also took a name created by Tolkien, "Gothmog", and used it for the Orc Lieutenant of the Witch-King, and created the "Madril" Ranger character in Gondor and the "Morwyn" character in Rohan who had all of three minutes of screen-time, as well as the Orc "Sharku" who again had about three lines.

BTW, "Irolas" in Minas Tirith was supposedly going to be Beregond from the book, but he was so different from his literally incarnation that PJ make him a "new" character, again based on a name Tolkien created, ("Irolas" instead of "Iorlas").

I would rather be watching Peter Jackson's "The Hobbit" and Ridley Scott's "Prometheus"...it's going to be a long few years.

(This post was edited by Captain Salt on Mar 26 2011, 5:22pm)

Garfeimao
Rohan

Mar 26 2011, 5:22pm

Post #24 of 149 (3842 views)
Shortcut
Haldir and the Elves never went to Helm's Deep [In reply to] Can't Post

I guess that would be considered an addition too.

I'm not opposed to them fleshing out Mirkwood and Laketown, if they don't, it will be a very boring set of movies with nameless people not saying a lot because they aren't allowed to have any personality.

Peace, Love and Rock & Roll,

Garfeimao
The orange stripey One

Cruise to Middle-earth

rings7
Rohan

Mar 26 2011, 5:37pm

Post #25 of 149 (3824 views)
Shortcut
Yes, i understand Arwen is not [In reply to] Can't Post

necessarily an addition, we know her background story, which is something i haven't found with Itaril. I googled her and all i find is her description.

So i'm confused. Where does Itaril come from? what book or tale or appendix, what did she do? Unimpressed

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.