Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
(No) Arwen in the Hobbit (?)
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

elanesse
Rivendell

Mar 23 2011, 12:12am

Post #1 of 28 (472 views)
Shortcut
(No) Arwen in the Hobbit (?) Can't Post

so...Liv Tyler confirmed, that she hasn't been asked (yet?) for reprising her role as Arwen Undomiel in the Hobbit.

do you feel sorry? are you relieved about that?

i'm not sure...if Legolas will be back, and even Frodo, why shouln't there be a cameo of Arwen?

We also have no confirmation of Hugo Weaving. Looks like the cast of Rivendell isn't fixed yet.

What do you think?

Elladan
Rivendell

Mar 23 2011, 12:27am

Post #2 of 28 (225 views)
Shortcut
Do we need more cameos? [In reply to] Can't Post

I am not convinced. Tbh I dont paticularly like the idea of Frodo being in it, no matter how well done a framing device still implies a lack of danger to the story because we are told it is just a story or at the very least it is being shown in retrospect. Legolas should be fine, just as long as it gives us more incite into the character of his father rather than building unecesarily on him.

LordMaximus
Rivendell

Mar 23 2011, 12:28am

Post #3 of 28 (219 views)
Shortcut
What does the character have to offer? [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't know if there is anything her character can offer to any part of the film, so unless anyone can think of something, i would say I’m relieved.

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Mar 23 2011, 12:39am

Post #4 of 28 (240 views)
Shortcut
I'm relieved [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been against unnecessary cameos since the beginning. Frankly, I think they could remove the scene at Rivendell completely without too much consequence.

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 23 2011, 1:17am

Post #5 of 28 (193 views)
Shortcut
Well, considering.... [In reply to] Can't Post

She was barely in the Lord of the Rings (the book) and she not only made it into the movie but even took over another character's role in the process, I think she's had her 15 minutes of fame and should let someone else have a chance now. Angelic

Seriously though, there is no reason that either Aragorn or Arwen need appear in The Hobbit movies. They had nothing to do with either Bilbo's adventure or the White Council. I'll give Legolas a pass as long as they don't overdo it, and I am reserving judgment on Elijah Wood's cameo until I see what they do with it, but I would really rather not have the story cluttered up with characters whose only purpose for being there is to be there.

Edited to clarify - When I said Arwen is barely in the book, I meant the main body of the story. I haven't forgotten the Appendices. Smile

Silverlode

"Of all faces those of our familiares are the ones both most difficult to play fantastic tricks with, and most difficult really to see with fresh attention. They have become like the things which once attracted us by their glitter, or their colour, or their shape, and we laid hands on them, and then locked them in our hoard, acquired them, and acquiring ceased to look at them.
Creative fantasy, because it is mainly trying to do something else [make something new], may open your hoard and let all the locked things fly away like cage-birds. The gems all turn into flowers or flames, and you will be warned that all you had (or knew) was dangerous and potent, not really effectively chained, free and wild; no more yours than they were you."
-On Fairy Stories

(This post was edited by Silverlode on Mar 23 2011, 1:20am)

Plurmo
Rohan

Mar 23 2011, 2:11am

Post #6 of 28 (186 views)
Shortcut
You have a point. [In reply to] Can't Post

The passage through Rivendell is interesting because it helps to establish the difference between the Eldar and the Mirkwood Elves. On the other hand, the kind of knowledge offered by Elrond puts (in my opinion) Gandalf in an inferior position than what we already know about him. That Gandalf could not read the runes on the swords is in contrast with his immense knowledge of languages. That he would not know about moon-letters was another. In fact, the only major difference I see between Gandalf and Elrond in knowledge matters would be summed up by Elrond's movie Motto "I was there" and his foresight, perhaps.

I hope the filmmakers show the contribution by Elrond (and the Rivendell household) to the Quest in a more elaborated way than what is seen in the book.

sphdle1
Gondor

Mar 23 2011, 2:36am

Post #7 of 28 (174 views)
Shortcut
There's still hope... [In reply to] Can't Post

hopefully she will make a cameo.

sphdle1

"You shall not pass!"

Darkstone
Immortal

Mar 23 2011, 2:43am

Post #8 of 28 (182 views)
Shortcut
I want XenArwen! [In reply to] Can't Post

As long as they're making up stuff out of whole cloth let's make it interesting!!

From IMDB trivia:

"A scene was cut from the finished film that showed Eowyn (Miranda Otto) stripping away her regular clothes and then dressing herself in the armor of a Rohan warrior."

*Darkstone bangs head against wall*

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Mar 23 2011, 2:58am

Post #9 of 28 (171 views)
Shortcut
Other than her beauty [In reply to] Can't Post

she would add little to the plot of The Hobbit(s.

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Maiarmike
Grey Havens

Mar 23 2011, 2:58am

Post #10 of 28 (169 views)
Shortcut
This. [In reply to] Can't Post

I too think Elrond will be expanded upon, mostly because of the Necromancer/White Council storyline. He may meet with Gandalf and offer his insights, or help from Rivendell elves at Dol Guldur, hell, he might even show up himself, since he is experienced in battle as a warrior. Deleting Rivendell or Elrond from the book would be a crime in my eyes. Not likely to happen, since he was in negotiations to return last I checked. As far as Arwen goes, there isn't really any need for her in the story.

(This post was edited by Maiarmike on Mar 23 2011, 3:04am)

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Mar 23 2011, 3:00am

Post #11 of 28 (171 views)
Shortcut
Maybe Peter will tell us [In reply to] Can't Post

why Elrond was not at the Dol Guldur incursion.

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Maiarmike
Grey Havens

Mar 23 2011, 3:10am

Post #12 of 28 (162 views)
Shortcut
True... [In reply to] Can't Post

...but he should definitely be in Rivendell in the film, at least in my eyes, no matter how small his role.

Owain
Tol Eressea

Mar 23 2011, 3:14am

Post #13 of 28 (183 views)
Shortcut
Liv Tyler seem's like a sweet person and I enjoyed her portrayal... [In reply to] Can't Post

of Arwen in the LOTR.

I would have to agree that her role in "The Hobbit" would seem superfluous, though. Maybe she could come down to New Zealand for a cast reunion and get to meet all of the newbies for a bit.Smile

Middle Earth is New Zealand!

"Question everything, embrace the bad, and hold on to the good."

Labrynian Rebel
The Shire

Mar 23 2011, 4:35am

Post #14 of 28 (150 views)
Shortcut
I hope Frodo [In reply to] Can't Post

isn't used as a framing device, and is instead adopted by bilbo at the end. Then the last scene shows an older Frodo (Elijah) finding the map of the lonely mountain and then asking him about it, and then Bilbo sits him down by the fireplace to tell him of his adventure "there and back again" then the movie fades out as we can still faintly hear him begin his story.

Ruijor
Rohan

Mar 23 2011, 4:59am

Post #15 of 28 (161 views)
Shortcut
Seriously... [In reply to] Can't Post

... I canīt understand how so many similar threads jump up out of nowhere! The Arwen question again? Really? Crazy

duats
Grey Havens

Mar 23 2011, 5:16am

Post #16 of 28 (137 views)
Shortcut
I love this [In reply to] Can't Post

Plurmo
Rohan

Mar 23 2011, 5:20am

Post #17 of 28 (148 views)
Shortcut
If only Liv could ride a horse herself, [In reply to] Can't Post

I would dream a scene where she and Saoirse (Night and Morning) would be seen riding side by side on errand (or scouting,) with beautiful New Zealand in the background... did anyone say hobbit? What is a hobbit?

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 23 2011, 5:44am

Post #18 of 28 (148 views)
Shortcut
Lots of new people on the boards. [In reply to] Can't Post

Let's cut the newbies some slack and give them hints on how the place works rather than complaints. This happens whenever mainstream news causes a traffic increase for the site. And if you think it's bad now..... Smile

Silverlode

"Of all faces those of our familiares are the ones both most difficult to play fantastic tricks with, and most difficult really to see with fresh attention. They have become like the things which once attracted us by their glitter, or their colour, or their shape, and we laid hands on them, and then locked them in our hoard, acquired them, and acquiring ceased to look at them.
Creative fantasy, because it is mainly trying to do something else [make something new], may open your hoard and let all the locked things fly away like cage-birds. The gems all turn into flowers or flames, and you will be warned that all you had (or knew) was dangerous and potent, not really effectively chained, free and wild; no more yours than they were you."
-On Fairy Stories

Ruijor
Rohan

Mar 23 2011, 6:17am

Post #19 of 28 (150 views)
Shortcut
The newbies... [In reply to] Can't Post

... should read the already existing threads. I donīt believe some of them do. Sorry, I had to let it out... Unsure

Carry on!

Owain
Tol Eressea

Mar 23 2011, 6:20am

Post #20 of 28 (152 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm... I have this wonderful software... [In reply to] Can't Post

tool called Screenflow...

It's one of many tools that allow you to record your computer screen's actions. While we are a reading community we are also film watchers and audio book listeners... wonder if as the community grows it would be helpful to have a bootcamp video for new tORN members so that they can learn about the site and all it has to offer.

Since The Hobbit in 5 seems to be gaining steam... I wonder if more video would be helpful/useful.

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 23 2011, 6:24am

Post #21 of 28 (124 views)
Shortcut
Most people [In reply to] Can't Post

are used to active threads bumping, and not used to threads that break into sub-discussions as often as ours do. Not to mention there are several different ways to configure one's view of the boards. It takes some getting used to. And yes, most newbies don't read old threads first 'cause they're impatient. If they stick around, they'll learn. We were all new once.

Don't feed the trolls, don't eat the newbies, and when you can't stand it anymore, invoke the TORN Drinking Game and *glug* your annoyance away. Wink

Silverlode

-On Fairy Stories

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 23 2011, 6:34am

Post #22 of 28 (110 views)
Shortcut
Interesting idea. [In reply to] Can't Post

That might be very helpful for some things. I don't know about the hosting would work, though. I think I might be a little leery of posting a boards-centric information series on someplace as public as YouTube. Hmm....

Silverlode

-On Fairy Stories

Owain
Tol Eressea

Mar 23 2011, 6:45am

Post #23 of 28 (115 views)
Shortcut
True... service space does tend to go up in requirement... [In reply to] Can't Post

when video is concerned.

I have noticed a little bit of site promotion within The Hobbit in 5.

Great to see some video/audio... production value it good too.

Ruijor
Rohan

Mar 23 2011, 8:08am

Post #24 of 28 (102 views)
Shortcut
Nice idea! [In reply to] Can't Post

A video tutorial guide would be helpful indeed!

Owain
Tol Eressea

Mar 23 2011, 3:42pm

Post #25 of 28 (89 views)
Shortcut
I'd be willing to contribute if help is needed. [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.