PMs
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Varda Elentari
The Shire

Feb 17 2007, 8:28pm

Post #1 of 43 (2677 views)
Shortcut
PMs Can't Post

This is a repost because I have no idea what I'm doing with this new format. Here goes again:

Just out of curiosity, because this has been an issue on other similar message boards-

can the Admins or board owners read everyone's PMs? Please be honest. Thanks!

Altaira
Superuser

Feb 17 2007, 8:38pm

Post #2 of 43 (2343 views)
Shortcut
Hi Varda! [In reply to] Can't Post

Nice to see you here! Smile

Here's what it says in the FAQ (item 3.9) regarding PMs:

Are private messages really private, or can TPTB read them? A bit of a general statement about computing: technically, the administrators of a computing system can read anything on that computing system. So, while it is not a policy to go through people's private messages, one should always use discretion when sending messages through any computing system. This advice is not specific to TORn, nor meant to imply anything. It is meant as generally good advice.

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

FingonOfPittsburgh
Lorien

Feb 17 2007, 8:40pm

Post #3 of 43 (2267 views)
Shortcut
FAQ [In reply to] Can't Post

Glad to see I'm not the only one getting beat with Altaira's FAQ stick! Tongue

Varda Elentari
The Shire

Feb 17 2007, 8:48pm

Post #4 of 43 (2292 views)
Shortcut
Re: FAQ [In reply to] Can't Post

Haha, thanks Altaira. I guess I shoulda read through all that first, but hey, that's my M.O.

Altaira
Superuser

Feb 17 2007, 8:57pm

Post #5 of 43 (2236 views)
Shortcut
But it's a very soft stick [In reply to] Can't Post

...so far. Sly

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

Draupne
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 18 2007, 8:29am

Post #6 of 43 (2246 views)
Shortcut
Just out of curiousity [In reply to] Can't Post

Why should we want to be dishonest?

*battles with self whether to put in angry smiley or not and decides to just glare*

And why would we want to read your PMs? Not interested in other peoples emails either. *glares more*

Varda Elentari
The Shire

Feb 18 2007, 9:05pm

Post #7 of 43 (2246 views)
Shortcut
Sun in your eyes? [In reply to] Can't Post

I wouldn't have asked if it hadn't been a problem in the past (elsewhere).

Draupne
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 18 2007, 9:23pm

Post #8 of 43 (2226 views)
Shortcut
No, it's pitch dark [In reply to] Can't Post

and if you mean to imply that the admins have a history of being dishonest or being likely to lie about what we can and can't do then I think you're the one have got too much sun latey. Sun-stroke probably.

I can see no reason why we would be interested in your PMs. Except of course for the fact that you want to know whether we can read them or not. That is obviously suspicious.

Varda Elentari
The Shire

Feb 18 2007, 10:04pm

Post #9 of 43 (2261 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Draupne] No, it's pitch dark [In reply to] Can't Post

Generally in the English language, "elsewhere" would imply somewhere other than here. To simplify- on another board that isn't TORn, there WERE issues with Admins reading PMs. So it's natural for myself and others that were involved to be suspicious, or at least curious. And although the FAQ is pretty wishy-washy about it, it IS true that it's possible, which is what I wanted to know.

Again, since it didn't seem to get through the first time, nowhere in any of my posts have I referenced the admins here at TORn.

'esquey
The Shire

Feb 18 2007, 10:14pm

Post #10 of 43 (2229 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Draupne] No, it's pitch dark [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
and if you mean to imply that the admins have a history of being dishonest or being likely to lie about what we can and can't do then I think you're the one have got too much sun latey. Sun-stroke probably.

I can see no reason why we would be interested in your PMs. Except of course for the fact that you want to know whether we can read them or not. That is obviously suspicious.
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Wow, paranoid much? It doesn't sound like Varda is accusing anyone on here of wanting to read PM's, it's obvious she's had a bad experience in the past (not on TORn) and is asking out of caution for that.

Thanks to Altaira for a clear, to the point response. :)

*Formerly known as Frodo-esque*

(This post was edited by 'esquey on Feb 18 2007, 10:19pm)

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 18 2007, 10:23pm

Post #11 of 43 (2229 views)
Shortcut
Yes. [In reply to] Can't Post

It's technically possible. Though frankly, the only circumstances under which I can imagine the Superusers here going to the trouble would be multiple complaints of abusive PMs. And I think that even then we'd use the normal "warn, then ban" approach rather than digging into the board code to find the offending messages.

In other words, we aren't the least bit interested in reading or policing PMs, and will not be doing so. Though if the mere possibility makes you nervous, there is always email.

Silverlode

Between the acting of a dreadful thing
And the first motion, all the interim is
Like a phantasma, or a hideous dream:
The genius and the plan thus inspired
Depart me and I, entering a room,
Find myself on the threshold, stand still
And wonder what I came to do there.

(This post was edited by Silverlode on Feb 18 2007, 10:25pm)

Draupne
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 18 2007, 10:43pm

Post #12 of 43 (2212 views)
Shortcut
If it's not here [In reply to] Can't Post

then why even mention it?

And elsewhere could mean the old boards. So there.

FingonOfPittsburgh
Lorien

Feb 18 2007, 10:45pm

Post #13 of 43 (2204 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Draupne] If it's not here [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
then why even mention it?

And elsewhere could mean the old boards. So there.

There were PMs on the old boards....?

The question was valid, and she got an honest response (from Altaira).

Out of the darkness of my life, so much frustrated, I put before you the one great thing to love on earth: the Blessed Sacrament... There you will find romance, glory, honour, fidelity, and the true way of all your loves on earth, and more than that: Death: by the divine paradox, that which ends life, and demands the surrender of all, and yet by the taste (or foretaste) of which alone can what you seek in your earthly relationships (love, faithfulness, joy) be maintained, or take on that complexion of reality, of eternal endurance, which every man's heart desires.

--J.R.R. Tolkien, Letter #43, to his son Michael

houndrock
The Shire

Feb 18 2007, 10:46pm

Post #14 of 43 (2200 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Draupne] If it's not here [In reply to] Can't Post

" Just out of curiosity, because this has been an issue on other similar message boards"

"
I wouldn't have asked if it hadn't been a problem in the past (elsewhere)"

"
To simplify- on another board that isn't TORn, there WERE issues with Admins reading PMs"

Dunno how many more times Vards could've stated that the problems didn't take place *here* and the reason *why* she was asking.

People have a right to know if Private Message actually means it's private in the sense that private usually means.

Draupne
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 18 2007, 10:47pm

Post #15 of 43 (2213 views)
Shortcut
If I get [In reply to] Can't Post

the wrong change in one shop, I don't automatically assume that the same will happen in the next.

And admins have every right to be paranoid too. We see all the deleted stuff, for all you know we might have reasons to be paranoid :-)

Draupne
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 18 2007, 10:56pm

Post #16 of 43 (2219 views)
Shortcut
There was, but we didn't tell you about them [In reply to] Can't Post

;-)

The question was valid, sure, but the fact that admins on other boards have lied is no reason to assume that we would. Getting upset by being asked not to lie is quite normal around here. Maybe it's not normal elsewhere.

And I still think old Torn is elsewhere than new Torn.

diedye
Grey Havens

Feb 18 2007, 10:57pm

Post #17 of 43 (2185 views)
Shortcut
I just have one thing to say to you both... [In reply to] Can't Post

houndrock
The Shire

Feb 18 2007, 10:59pm

Post #18 of 43 (2191 views)
Shortcut
Re: [diedye] I just have one thing to say to you both... [In reply to] Can't Post

bwah!

don't *make* me get out my bananas!!!!!

In Reply To

Varda Elentari
The Shire

Feb 18 2007, 11:02pm

Post #19 of 43 (2185 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Draupne] There was, but we didn't tell you about them [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, if you put everything in context, as FoP said, it wouldn't make sense for me to be using "elsewhere" to mean "old TORn", because there were no PM's on the old TORn.

Draupne
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 18 2007, 11:03pm

Post #20 of 43 (2194 views)
Shortcut
That's it! I'm leaving these boards! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not pink!

I might be round and not very tall so could maybe pass squabling smiley, but I'm not pink! Or lilac. *throws drool-bucket at diedye*

:-)

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 18 2007, 11:07pm

Post #21 of 43 (2168 views)
Shortcut
ROFL! [In reply to] Can't Post

Classic, diedye.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Varda Elentari
The Shire

Feb 18 2007, 11:12pm

Post #22 of 43 (2193 views)
Shortcut
Re: [diedye] I just have one thing to say to you both... [In reply to] Can't Post

Draupne
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 18 2007, 11:13pm

Post #23 of 43 (2175 views)
Shortcut
No matter how much context I put it in [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't see any reason for you to ask us to be honest.

Sorry if it comes across as if I have a problem with the actual question, I don't. However, I have a problem with the admins being asked to be honest since I don't think we have any reputation of not being so. Which I suppose is as far as we'll get with this discussion.

(To nit-pick, there's no elsewhere in the first post where you ask us to be honest. That came later.Or elsewhere if you prefer that. Sorry. Just had to.)

Varda Elentari
The Shire

Feb 18 2007, 11:19pm

Post #24 of 43 (2210 views)
Shortcut
For Pete's sake. [In reply to] Can't Post

Get over yourself. Being an admin doesn't make you any different than anyone else here- and I'd ask the same of anyone else on the board. If you have no problem being honest, you shouldn't be offended by my asking that of you (I don't see any of the other admins getting all huffy about this, and the my question certainly wasn't directed at you personally).

Edit: Actually yes, I did ask you to be honest in the first post. Go back and read it.

(This post was edited by Varda Elentari on Feb 18 2007, 11:24pm)

diedye
Grey Havens

Feb 18 2007, 11:24pm

Post #25 of 43 (2172 views)
Shortcut
... [In reply to] Can't Post

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.