grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 20 2011, 12:07pm

Post #1 of 21 (346 views)
Shortcut
TIME - March 20 Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth.

March 20, 3019 (S.R. 1419)
1. The Host continued their defiant march to Mordor.
(not from the appendices)

..."All the land now brooded as at the coming of a great storm: for the Captains of the West had passed the Cross Roads and set flames in the deadly fields of Imlad Morgul.
...It was some hundred miles by that way from the Cross Roads to the Morannon, and what might befall them before they came so far none knew.... "

2. As Minas Tirith was busily repairing and fortifying the White City for the next onslaught, the White Lady of Rohan rises from her sickbed.

..."Éowyn bade the women who tended her to bring her raiment, and she would not be gainsaid, but rose; and when they had clothed her and set her arm in a sling of linen, she went to the Warden of the Houses of Healing.
...'Sir,' she said, 'I am in great unrest, and I cannot lie longer in sloth.'
...'Lady,' he answered, 'you are not yet healed, and I was commanded to tend you with especial care. You should not have risen from your bed for seven days yet... ...I beg you to go back.'
...'I am healed,' she said, 'healed at least in body, save my left arm only, and that is at ease. But I shall sicken anew, if there is naught that I can do....'
...'...There is a marshal over the Riders of Rohan;' [said the Warden] 'and the Lord Húrin, I am told, commands the men of Gondor. But the Lord Faramir is by right the Steward of the City.'
...'Where can I find him?'
...'In this house, Lady. He was sorely hurt, but is now set again on the way to health. But I do not know----'
...'Will you not bring me to him? Then you will know.'
...The Lord Faramir was walking alone in the garden of the Houses of Healing, and the sunlight warmed him, and he felt life run anew in his veins; but his heart was heavy, and he looked out over the wall eastward. ...the Warden spoke his name, and he turned and saw the Lady Éowyn of Rohan; and he was moved with pity, for he saw that she was hurt, and his clear sight perceived her sorrow and unrest.
...'My lord,' said the Warden, 'here is the Lady Éowyn of Rohan. She rode with the king and was sorely hurt... ... But she is not content, and she wishes to speak to the Steward of the City.'
...'Do not misunderstand him, lord,' said Éowyn. 'It is not lack of care that grieves me. No houses could be fairer, for those who desire to be healed. But I cannot lie in sloth, idle, caged. I looked for death in battle. But I have not died and the battle still goes on.'
...At a sign from Faramir, the Warden bowed and departed. 'What would you have me do, lady?' said Faramir. 'I also am a prisoner of the healers.' He looked at her, and being a man whom pity deeply stirred, it seemed to him that her loveliness amid her grief would pierce his heart. And she looked at him and saw the grave tenderness in his eyes, and yet knew... ... that here was one whom no Rider of the Mark would outmatch in battle.
...'What do you wish?' he said again. 'If I lies in my power, I will do it.'
...'I would have you command this Warden, and bid him let me go,' she said; but though her words were still proud, her heart faltered, and for the first time she doubted herself. She guessed that this tall man, both stern and gentle, might think her... ...like a child that has not the firmness of mind to go on with a dull task to the end.
...'I myself am in the Warden's keeping,' answered Faramir. 'Nor have I yet taken up my authority in the City. But had I done so, I should still listen to his counsel, and should not cross his will in matters of his craft, unless in some great need.'
...'But I do not desire healing,' she said. 'I wish to ride to war like my brother Éomer, or better like Théoden the king, for he died and has both honour and peace.'
...'It is too late, lady, to follow the Captains, even if you had the strength,' said Faramir. 'But death in battle may come to us all yet... ...You will be better prepared to face it in your own manner, if while there is still time you do as the Healer commanded. You and I, we must endure with patience the hours of waiting.'
...She did not answer, but as he looked at her it seemed to him that something in her softened, as though a bitter frost were yielding at the first faint presage of Spring. A tear sprang in her eye and fell down her cheek... ...Her proud head drooped a little. Then quietly, more as if speaking to herself than to him: 'But the healers would have me lie abed seven days yet,' she said. 'And my window does not look eastward.' Her voice was now that of a maiden young and sad.
...Faramir smiled, though his heart was filled with pity. 'Your window does not look eastward?' he said. 'That can be amended... ...If you will stay in this house in our care, lady, and take your rest, then you shall walk in this garden in the sun, as you will; and you shall look east, whither all our hopes have gone. And here you will find me, walking and waiting, and looking east. It would ease my care, if you would speak to me, or walk at whiles with me.
...Then she raised her head and looked him in the eyes again; and a colour came in her pale face. 'How should I ease your care, my lord?' she said. 'And I do not desire the speech of living men.'
...'Would you have my plain answer?' he said.
...'I would.'
...'Then, Éowyn of Rohan, I say to you that you are beautiful. In the valleys of our hills there are flowers fair and bright, and maidens fairer still; but neither flower nor lady have I seen till now in Gondor so lovely, and so sorrowful. It may be that only a few days are left ere darkness falls upon our world, and when it comes I hope to face it steadily; but it would ease my heart... ... if I could see you still. For you and I have both passed under the wings of the Shadow, and the same hand drew us back.'
...'Alas, not me, lord!' she said. 'Shadow lies on me still. Look not to me for healing! I am a shieldmaiden and my hand is ungentle. But I thank you for this at least, that I need not keep to my chamber. I will walk abroad by the grace of the Steward of the City.' And she did him a courtesy and walked back to the house. But Faramir for a long while walked alone in the garden, and his glance now strayed rather to the house than to the eastward walls.
...When he returned to his chamber he called for the Warden, and heard all that he could tell of the Lady of Rohan.
'But I doubt not, lord... ...that you would learn more from the Halfling that is with us; for he was in the riding of the king, and with the Lady at the end, they say.'
...And so Merry was sent to Faramir, and while that day lasted they talked long together, and Faramir learned much, more even than Merry put into words; and he thought that he understood now something of the grief and unrest of Éowyn of Rohan. And in the fair evening, Faramir and Merry walked in the garden, but she did not come."

3. Frodo and Sam

..."So the desperate journey went on, as the Ring went south and the banners of the kings rode north. For the hobbits each day, each mile, was more bitter than the one before, as their strength lessened and the land became more evil. They met no enemies by day. At times by night, as they cowered or drowsed uneasily in some hiding beside the road, they heard cries and the noise of many feet or the swift passing of some cruelly ridden steed."

sample sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

(This post was edited by dernwyn on Mar 20 2011, 6:47pm)

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Mar 20 2011, 6:03pm

Post #2 of 21 (220 views)
Shortcut
Ahhhh, Eowyn and Faramir! [In reply to] Can't Post

The whole sequence of them meeting and falling in love is just beautiful. What a positive moment -- or series of moments -- to balance out the death and grief and destruction! I'm so glad we got at least a hint of this in the movie.

Do we walk in legends or on the green earth in the daylight?

A man may do both. For not we but those who come after will make the legends of our time. The green earth, say you? That is a mighty matter of legend, though you tread it under the light of day!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 20 2011, 7:03pm

Post #3 of 21 (268 views)
Shortcut
Cage without bars [In reply to] Can't Post

"...sloth, idle, caged": once again Éowyn finds herself in that place which she had said that she feared - 'A cage...To stay behind bars, until use and old age accept them, and all chance of doing great deeds is gone beyond recall or desire.'

And notice how quickly she ends the conversation once Faramir mentions two things: one, that he considers her beautiful (which she knew he was going to say - that's why she blushed slightly); and two, he speaks of Aragorn without directly naming him.

I wonder if it was the latter that caused her to beat a hasty retreat: she still has not sorted out her feelings for Aragorn, and suddenly this new person has been added to her emotional mix!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

One Ringer
Tol Eressea

Mar 21 2011, 12:03am

Post #4 of 21 (223 views)
Shortcut
There's something quite poetic about it all.// [In reply to] Can't Post

"Oh, the cleverness of me."

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 21 2011, 9:07am

Post #5 of 21 (214 views)
Shortcut
TIME - March 21 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth.

March 21, 3019 (S.R. 1419)
1. The Host continues their march to Mordor.
..."...the army began its northward march along the road. It was some hundred miles by that way from the Cross Roads to the Morannon, and what might befall them before they came so far none knew. They went openly but heedfully, with mounted scouts before them on the road, and others on foot upon either side..."

..."...Ever and anon Gandalf let blow the trumpets, and the heralds would cry: 'The Lords of Gondor are come! Let all leave this land or yield them up!' But Imrahil said: 'Say not the Lords of Gondor. Say The King Elessar. For that is true, even though he has not yet sat upon the throne; and it will give the Enemy more thought, if the heralds use that name.' And thereafter thrice a day the heralds proclaimed the coming of the King Elessar. But none answered the challenge.
...Nonetheless, though they marched in seeming peace, the hearts of all the company, from the highest to the lowest, were downcast, and with every mile that they went north foreboding of evil grew heavier on them..."

2. Minas Tirith waits.
..."...as Faramir came from the Houses, he saw her, as she stood upon the walls; and she was clad all in white, and gleamed in the sun. And he called to her, and she came down, and they walked on the grass or sat under a green tree together, now in silence, now in speech. And each day after they did likewise."

3. Frodo and Sam's strength is giving out.
..."... far worse than all such perils was the ever-approaching threat that beat upon them as they went: the dreadful menace of the Power that waited, brooding in deep thought and sleepless malice behind the dark veil about its Throne. Nearer and nearer it drew, looming blacker, like the on-coming of a wall of night at the last end of the world."

sample sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

Unused Scenes

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 21 2011, 9:11am

Post #6 of 21 (213 views)
Shortcut
Simple, honest, sincere... [In reply to] Can't Post

Their love story is so similar with Aragorn and Arwen or Luthien and Beren. Especially on Faramir's part. He's struck by her beauty, but it's her sadness that moves his heart. Tolkien can write a wonderful story of sacrifice and hardship that stirs you... but he's very romantic as well.

sample sample

Unused Scenes

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 21 2011, 9:15am

Post #7 of 21 (196 views)
Shortcut
Faramir recognizes [In reply to] Can't Post

her troubling feelings because he suffers from his own. He's been caged all his life as well. No matter what he does, his father would never see him except as a failure. He's never be out from under the shadow of his brother. It's not surprising that he'd understand this in Eowyn... even if he didn't identify it for himself.

And I think you're so right about her retreat after the Aragorn reference. That, and this strong man in front of her that saw her so clearly.

sample sample

Unused Scenes

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Mar 21 2011, 9:16am)

silneldor
Half-elven

Mar 21 2011, 11:09am

Post #8 of 21 (195 views)
Shortcut
Tha-Bump [In reply to] Can't Post

Please excuse this crazed interruption gramma, but at 6:40 this morning on the Channel 7 news i saw Peter Jackson and the accompanying news that this is the first day officially of...FILMMMMING!

That is when my heart did that thing that created a rush through my body.

Nothing like hearing and seeing it with one's own ears and eyes and nose....Man, i can really smell the fields of the shire alreadySmile.

''Sam put his ragged orc-cloak under his master's head, and covered them both with the grey robe of Lorien; and as he did so his thoughts went out to that fair land, and to the Elves, and he hoped that the cloth woven by their hands might have some virtue to keep them hidden beyond all hope in this wilderness of fear...But their luck held, and for the rest of that day they met no living or moving thing; and when night fell they vanished into the darkess of Mordor.'' - - -rotk, chapter III

May the grace of Manwë let us soar with eagle's wings!

In the air, among the clouds in the sky
Here is where the birds of Manwe fly
Looking at the land, and the water that flows
The true beauty of earth shows
With the stars of Varda lighting my way
In all the realms this is where I stay
In the realm of Manwë Súlimo

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 21 2011, 4:14pm

Post #9 of 21 (186 views)
Shortcut
eeeeeeyyyyowwwwwww!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

OMG!!! It was on the NEwS!!!???? OMG OMG! My heart just did that same KATHUMP thing!! *geeky hand-clapping*

Thank you! I really needed this today :D

*spins in chair*

sample sample

Unused Scenes

One Ringer
Tol Eressea

Mar 21 2011, 4:23pm

Post #10 of 21 (186 views)
Shortcut
Almost like an Eden, [In reply to] Can't Post

It seems evident that Faramir and Eowyn have discovered peace amidst the dark hours before them. Whether this implies the impending victory, or impending doom, as the text humors both sides of the argument, is all up to suggestion.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 21 2011, 10:18pm

Post #11 of 21 (181 views)
Shortcut
The mark of true heroism [In reply to] Can't Post

is what I see in both of these people. With all they've seen and faced so far, it wouldn't be hard to many to despair. They see things clearly... and are ready to face it. I love this respite that reminds me of when Frodo met Faramir as he reports what Elrond had said had said to him, "'...that I should find friendship upon the way, secret and unlooked for... ...To have found it turns evil to great good.'"

sample sample

Unused Scenes

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 22 2011, 7:14am

Post #12 of 21 (298 views)
Shortcut
TIME - March 22 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth.

Map of the Captains of the West and Frodo & Sam's journeys (as derived from Journeys of Frodo: An Atlas of J.R.R. Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings by Barbara Strachey.

March 22, 3019 (S.R. 1419)
1. The dreadful nightfall.
(from the appendices)
..."...And from that evening onward the Nazgûl came and followed every move of the army. They still flew high and out of sight of all save Legolas, and yet their presence could be felt, as a deepening of shadow and a dimming of the sun; and though the Ringwraiths did not yet stoop low upon their foes and were silent, uttering no cry, the dread of them could not be shaken off."

2. Frodo and Samwise leave the road and turn south to Mount Doom.
(from the appendices)
..."There came at last a dreadful nightfall; and even as the Captains of the West drew near to the end of the living lands, the two wanderers came to an hour of blank despair. Four days had passed since they had escaped from the orcs, but the time lay behind them like an ever-darkening dream. All this last day Frodo had not spoken, but had walked half-bowed, often stumbling, as if his eyes no longer saw the way before his feet. Sam guessed that among all their pains he bore the worst, the growing weight of the Ring a burden on the body and a torment to his mind. Anxiously Sam had noted how his master's left hand would often be raised as if to ward off a blow, or to screen his shrinking eyes from a dreadful Eye that sought to look in them… …his right hand would creep to his breast, clutching, and then slowly, as the will recovered mastery, it would be withdrawn.
...Now as the blackness of night returned Frodo sat, his head between his knees, his arms hanging wearily to the ground where his hands lay feebly twitching. Sam watched him, till night covered them both and hid them from one another. He could no longer find any words to say; and he turned to his own dark thoughts… …though weary and under a shadow of fear, he still had some strength left. The lembas had a virtue without which they would long ago have lain down to die. It did not satisfy desire, and at times Sam's mind was filled with the memories of food, the longing for simple bread and meats. And yet this waybread of the elves had a potency that increased as travellers relied on it alone and did not mingle it with other foods. It fed the will, and it gave strength to endure, and to master sinew and limb beyond the measure of mortal kind...'"

..."'…Water, water!' muttered Sam. He had stinted himself, and in his parched mouth his tongue seemed thick and swollen; but for all his care they now had very little left, perhaps half his bottle, and maybe there were still days to go..."

..."…At last wearied with his cares Sam drowsed, leaving the morrow till it came; he could do no more. Dream and waking mingled uneasily. He saw lights like gloating eyes, and dark creeping shapes, and he heard noises as of wild beasts or the dreadful cries of tortured things; and he would start up to find the world all dark and only empty blackness all about him. Once only, as he stood and stared wildly round, did it seem that, though now awake, he could still see pale lights like eyes; but soon they flickered and vanished."

3. Third assault on Lórien.
(from the appendices)
..."Lórien had been assailed from Dol Guldur, but besides the valour of the elven people of that land, the power that dwelt there was too great for any to overcome, unless Sauron had come there himself. Though grievous harm was done to the fair woods on the borders, the assaults were driven back… "

4. In Minas Tirith, Éowyn and Faramir met daily in the gardens facing east.
..."...the Warden [of the Houses of Healing] looking from his window was glad in heart, for he was a healer, and his care was lightened; and certain it was that, heavy as was the dread and foreboding of those days upon the hearts of men, still these two of his charges prospered and grew daily in strength."

March 22, 2006
1. In memorium.
The passing of our dear friend, Greg. Balin bows.

sample sample

Unused Scenes

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Mar 22 2011, 7:15am)

One Ringer
Tol Eressea

Mar 22 2011, 12:33pm

Post #13 of 21 (208 views)
Shortcut
A "eucatastrophe" as Tolkien would deem.// [In reply to] Can't Post

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 22 2011, 4:38pm

Post #14 of 21 (193 views)
Shortcut
Could it be [In reply to] Can't Post

that because of the smaller stature of Hobbits, the lembas had a greater effect on Frodo and Sam that it would have on, say, Aragorn?

Because at this point, with the physical and emotional torment, that is all that now keeps them going. I think Galadriel knew they would need to rely upon it, should they ever reach this far.

*raises mug* To those who have travelled West ahead of us, may we one day once again raise our mugs together at a quaint Inn in the Shire! Heart

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 22 2011, 10:20pm

Post #15 of 21 (158 views)
Shortcut
That word is just so cool :D // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample sample

Unused Scenes

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 22 2011, 10:26pm

Post #16 of 21 (164 views)
Shortcut
Considering a Hobbit [In reply to] Can't Post

could probably shame a Ranger at the table, I think you're right. I hadn't thought of it in terms of proportion. Sort of the same as liquor consumption and size may be the same way. Does it take less for a Hobbit to have the ends of his fingers start to tingle?

Thank Goodness they went through Lorien. Not just for the respite, but for the cloaks, the rope the lembas and the blessings. They would not have succeeded without Galadriel's help.

This torture on our Hobbits breaks my heart.

sample sample

Unused Scenes

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 23 2011, 8:46am

Post #17 of 21 (172 views)
Shortcut
TIME - March 23 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth.

Gorgoroth

March 23, 3019 (S.R. 1419)
1. The Host passes out of Ithilien.
(from the appendices)
..."So time and the hopeless journey wore away. Upon the fourth day from the Cross Roads and the sixth from Minas Tirith they came at last to the end of the living lands, and began to pass into the desolation that lay before the gates of the Pass of Cirith Gorgor..."

2. Aragorn dismisses the faint-hearted.
(from the appendices)
..."...and they could descry the marshes and the desert that stretched north and west to the Emyn Muil. So desolate were those places and so deep the horror that lay on them that some of the host were unmanned, and they could neither walk nor ride further north.
...Aragorn looked at them, and there was pity in his eyes rather than wrath; for these were young men from Rohan... ...and to them Mordor had been from childhood a name of evil, and yet unreal, a legend that had no part in their simple life; and now they walked like men in a hideous dream made true, and they understood not this war nor why fate should lead them to such a pass.
...'Go!' said Aragorn. 'But keep what honour you may, and do not run! And there is a task which you may attempt and so be not wholly shamed. Take your way south-west till you come to Cair Andros, and if that is still held by enemies... ...then re-take it, if you can; and hold it to the last in defence of Gondor and Rohan!'
...Then some being shamed by his mercy overcame their fear and went on, and the others took new hope, hearing of a manful deed within their measure that they could turn to, and they departed. And so, since many men had already been left at the Cross Roads, it was with less than six thousands that the Captains of the West came at last to challenge the Black Gate and the might of Mordor."

3. Frodo and Samwise cast away their arms and gear.
(from the appendices)
..."...Sam took out all the things in his pack. Somehow each of them had become dear to him, if only because he had borne them so far with so much toil. Hardest of all it was to part with his cooking-gear. Tears welled in his eyes at the thought of casting it away.
...'Do you remember that bit of rabbit, Mr. Frodo? And our place under the warm bank in Captain Faramir's country, the day I saw an oliphaunt?'
...'No, I am afraid not, Sam. At least I know that such things happened, but I cannot see them. No taste of food, no feel of water, no sound of wind, no memory of tree or grass or flower, no image of moon or star are left to me. I am naked in the dark, Sam, and there is no veil between me and the wheel of fire. I begin to see it even with my waking eyes, and all else fades.'
...Sam went to him and kissed his hand. 'Then the sooner we're rid of it, the sooner to rest,' he said haltingly... ...'Talking won't mend nothing,' he muttered to himself, as he gathered up all the things that they had chosen to cast away.... '...Stinker picked up that orc-shirt, seemingly, and he isn't going to add a sword to it. His hands are bad enough when empty. And he isn't going to mess with my pans!' With that he carried all the gear away to one of the many gaping fissures that scored the land and threw them in. The clatter of his precious pans as they fell down into the dark was like a death-knell to his heart.
...He came back to Frodo, and then of his elven-rope he cut a short piece to serve his master as a girdle and bind the grey cloak close about his waist. The rest he carefully coiled and put back in his pack... ...he kept only the remnants of their waybread and the water-bottle, and Sting still hanging by his belt; and hidden away in a pocket of his tunic next to his breast the phial of Galadriel and the little box that she gave him for his own."

..."That day it seemed to Sam that his master had found some new strength, more than could be explained by the small lightening of the load that he had to carry... ...But as the day wore on and all too soon the dim light began to fail, Frodo stooped again, and began to stagger, as if the renewed effort had squandered his remaining strength.
...At their last halt he sank down and said: 'I'm thirsty, Sam,' and did not speak again. Sam gave him a mouthful of water; only one more mouthful remained. He went without himself....'"

..."...He could not sleep and he held a debate with himself. 'Well, come now, we've done better than you hoped,' he said sturdily. 'Began well anyway. I reckon we crossed half the distance before we stopped. One more day will do it.' And then he paused.
...'Don't be a fool, Sam Gamgee,' came an answer in his own voice. 'He won't go another day like that, if he moves at all. And you can't go on much longer giving him all the water and most of the food...'

...'...There you are!' came the answer. 'It's all quite useless. He said so himself. You are the fool, going on hoping and toiling. You could have lain down and gone to sleep together days ago, if you hadn't been so dogged. But you'll die just the same, or worse. You might just as well lie down and give it up. You'll never get to the top anyway.'
...'I'll get there, if I leave everything but my bones behind,' said Sam. 'And I'll carry Mr. Frodo up myself, if it breaks my back and heart. So stop arguing!'"

4. In Minas Tirith waits.
(not from the appendices-no text)
...Éowyn and Faramir continue to recover from their wounds and would walk daily in the gardens of the Houses of the Healers which face east. Bergil and Merry spend long hours sharing stories to keep their minds from what they fear the Riders are facing. They've also developed a gift of discretion and were careful to avoid the gardens when Faramir and Éowyn are deep in conversation.

5. Pippin remains with the grim Men of the West.
(not from the appendices—no text)
...As the army moved through the desolate lands of Mordor, Pippin's heavy heart wept as he looked around at the ruination and he thought of Sam and Frodo alone, walking mile after dangerous mile unprotected. As he experienced the oppressive evil that lay on the land, he wondered how they could endure the horror. He feared that they could be lost, captured or perhaps may be dead. His thoughts turned to Merry in the cold White City now far away and wondered what would happen to him if their quest failed. Surrounded by fearsome riders and great leaders of the West, Pippin felt very small, very alone, and longed for the days in the Shire when they were all safe and had no knowledge that such evil and despair ever existed.

sample sample

Unused Scenes

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 23 2011, 10:22am

Post #18 of 21 (163 views)
Shortcut
Remember what Sam said [In reply to] Can't Post

about that area to the north of Mordor: "I feel sick." It must have been so difficult for the men to even walk on ground that had suffered so much abuse. Unsure

"One who cannot cast away a treasure at need is in fetters" - and so Sam casts away some of his "treasures", and frees himself from that burden: he keeps only what is absolutely necessary. I wonder if that box from Galadriel was giving him an extra psychological "boost", below the subconscious. The same with the rope tied around Frodo: there were blessings placed on it, as well, and I like to think that it gave Frodo more than just physical support.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 24 2011, 9:49am

Post #19 of 21 (167 views)
Shortcut
TIME - March 24 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth.

Map of the Captains of the West and Frodo & Sam's journeys (as derived from Journeys of Frodo: An Atlas of J.R.R. Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings by Barbara Strachey.

Mt. Doom, The Atlas of Middle-earth by Karen Wynn Fonstad

March 24, 3019 (S.R. 1419)
1. Minas Tirith
..."Over the city of Gondor doubt and great dread had hung. Fair weather and clear sun had seemed but a mockery to men whose days held little hope, and who looked each morning for news of doom. Their lord was dead and burned, dead lay the King of Rohan in their citadel, and the new king that had come to them in the night was gone again to a war ... ...And no news came. After the host left Morgul Vale and took the northward road beneath the shadow of the mountains no messenger had returned nor any rumour of what was passing in the brooding East."

2. The Host camps in the Desolation of the Morannon.
(from the appendices)
..."They advanced now slowly, expecting at every hour some answer to their challenge, and they drew together, since it was but waste of men to send out scouts or small parties from the main host. At nightfall... ...they made their last camp, and set fires about it of such dead wood and heath as they could find. They passed the hours of night in wakefulness and they were aware of many things half-seen that walked and prowled all about them, and they heard the howling of wolves....
......It grew cold. As morning came the wind began to stir again, but now it came from the North, and soon it freshened to a rising breeze. All the night-walkers were gone, and the land seemed empty. North amid their noisome pits lay the first of the great heaps and hills of slag and broken rock and blasted earth, the vomit of the maggot-folk of Mordor; but south and now near loom the great rampart of Cirith Gorgor, and the Black Gate amid-most, and the two Towers of the Teeth tall and dark upon either side.... ...the Captains had turned away from the old road as it bent east, and avoided the peril of the lurking hills, and so now they were approaching the Morannon from the north-west, even as Frodo had done."

3. Frodo and Samwise make their last journey to the feet of Mount Doom.
(from the appendices)
..."The last stage of the journey to Orodruin came, and it was a torment greater than Sam had ever thought that he could bear. He was in pain, and so parched that he would no longer swallow even a mouthful of food. It remained dark, not only because of the smokes of the Mountain: there seemed to be a storm coming up... ...Worst of all, the air was full of fumes; breathing was painful and difficult, and a dizziness came on them, so that they staggered and often fell. And yet their wills did not yield, and they struggled on.
...The Mountain crept up ever nearer, until... ...it filled all their sight, looming vast before them: a huge mass of ash and slag and burned stone, out of which a sheer-sided cone was raised into the clouds. Before the daylong dusk ended and true night came again they had crawled and stumbled to its very feet.
...With a gasp Frodo cast himself on the ground. Sam sat by him. To his surprise he felt tired but lighter, and his head seemed clear again. No more debates disturbed his mind. He knew all the arguments of despair and would not listen to them. His will was set, and only death would break it.... ...He knew that all the hazards and perils were now drawing together to a point: the next day would be a day of doom, the day of final effort of disaster, the last gasp.
...But when would it come? ...Sam began to wonder if a second darkness had begun and no day would ever reappear. At last he groped for Frodo's hand. It was cold and trembling. His master was shivering. 'I didn't ought to have left my blanket behind,' muttered Sam; and lying down he tried to comfort Frodo with his arms and body. Then sleep took him, and the dim light of the last day of their quest found them side by side."

4. King Brand and King Dáin Ironfoot fall in Dale.

..."At the same time as the great armies besieged Minas Tirith a host of the allies of Sauron that had long threatened the borders of King Brand crossed the River Carnen, and Brand was driven back to Dale... ...he had the aid of the Dwarves of Erebor; and there was a great battle at the Mountain's feet. It lasted three days, but in the end both King Brand and King Dáin Ironfoot were slain, and the Easterlings had the victory. But they could not take the Gate... ...Dwarves and Men, took refuge in Erebor, and there withstood a siege."

sample sample

Unused Scenes

(This post was edited by dernwyn on Apr 16 2011, 2:39pm)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 24 2011, 10:00am

Post #20 of 21 (151 views)
Shortcut
I believe the gifts [In reply to] Can't Post

were imbibed with blessings that gave Sam (and Frodo) the same strength of will that the lembas did. All Sam kept was of the Elves... and even the box was like you said... it gave him power in that he still had hope. It's the only pure, clean earth in that dead land. Surely something a gardener would draw strength from :)

sample sample

Unused Scenes

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 24 2011, 10:30am

Post #21 of 21 (199 views)
Shortcut
No messenger-birds? [In reply to] Can't Post

I wonder why Aragorn would not have brought along messenger-pigeons, or some other kind of messenger-bird, to deliver messages back to Minas Tirith. At their stage of civilization, it would makes sense for them to have such a means of communication. But the messages would not have provided much hope: they would have only confirmed that the armies were still marching closer to their doom.

Camp-out near Mordor: imagine camping out and imagining all sorts of things from ghost stories you've just been told, but it's far worse, because these "imaginings" are real...

Sam comforting Frodo...like a parent trying to comfort a trembling child...it's the only help that he can give his dear Master, now.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.